Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Major engine failure and MT07 engine compatibility

luke2152

3 hours ago, Eric W. said:

1) Front wheel wobble.  Diagnosed and misdiagnosed many times but I finally found a good service tech who put it on a lift and said I had a defective tire from Pirelli. 

Common problem with the stock Pirelli tyre. 99.999% of wobbly front issue is Pirelli tyre defects as there is about 3  threads under different titles on this  forum. Wobbly front = change front tyre NOW!!! 🤪

Edit; forgot to mention one inmate was on his third Pirelli tyre till the wobble disappeared. So if you're front end is wobbling, change it! Preferably to another brand, chances are that another Pirelli is going to faulty. You might falsely conclude it's not the tyre that is the cause. 

Edited by Louis
Extra information
  • Like 2

Thought I would provide an update since I picked up the bike today from the shop:

1) For any of you sport touring guys, upgrading to Galfer front pads is worth the investment.  It elevated the braking to what you would expect.  I wouldn't go trail braking Rossi into a corner with them (video it and share if you do) but it's now all this bike needs, at least for my riding.  Full Disclaimer - I had previous installed a set of Pazzo shorty levers so that probably contributed as well.  

2) Some adjustments to the rear brake lever put the brake feedback in a zone I'm comfortable with.

3) UK rider - my dealer is a decent sized suburban Honda/Yamaha dealer in Dallas.  The service manager said he had never heard of a MT07 engine hand grenading the top end.  Oddly enough, they have seen their share of CBR1000R's blowing the bottom end.

4) He also said Honda and Yamaha are both good at getting someone on the phone to hear your complaints/feedback,  at least in the US.

Later,

E

On 7/22/2021 at 7:22 PM, Eric W. said:

An earlier post mentioned Yamaha shipping the motor back to Japan.  So the owner is in the UK meaning the bike was built in France.  Do they assemble the motors in Japan and then ship to France for final assembly?

Yes, that's correct. The motors are built in Japan, then shipped to France where the bikes are assembled.

Reassuringly, when I traded in my XSR for the Tenere, the dealer had a quick look over the bike before we settled on a price. When I asked if the workshop wanted to check over the engine, he replied, "No need - we've never had an engine issue with any CP2 bike  we've ever sold."

Luke: if your dealer is able to identify the cause of your failure during the rebuild, please share it with us.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

So by way of an update, Yamaha is still dicking me around. They have supplied a new cylinder head with a manufacturing defect (as far as I can ascertain on the phone it is missing the cast bit for a coolant hose to attach to) so now they're telling me that new head will be in late September.

• Sad 1

On 7/22/2021 at 10:50 AM, luke2152 said:

Picked up the missing radiator hose, it's all back together now  and been out for a ride. Runs perfectly, no warning lights. Should have done the swap four months ago!

IMG_20210722_165754_054.thumb.jpg.d979cb1f7d1e5de2ebbb28656aab7dce.jpg

Does the MT07 engine seem to have more power than the T7?  Or are they mechanically the same and any difference would be in the ECU?

This is a fascinating thread, great job on the swap Luke.

I am also interested if the engine feels any different from your original T700?

I was recently in Europe and rented for a week Tracer 700 (basically MT07 with bits of plastic). The engine - while also CP2 - gave me a COMPLETELY different feel then what I am used to on T700. Tracer had noticeably less torque (and vibration in general) but it had that turbo-like feel once you hit over 5-6k rpm. Very racy feel.

Now 1 week later, I am back in the land of US of A, rode my Tenere just to confirm if my impressions were correct and yup - not that much exhilarating power at the top end, but that torque... Woah.

So my question is - while the engine is the same, are there differences in mapping or cams? That difference in feel was noticeable enough that I highly doubt it comes down to suspension/tires/riding height.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 7:00 PM, Sobek said:

This is a fascinating thread, great job on the swap Luke.

I am also interested if the engine feels any different from your original T700?

I was recently in Europe and rented for a week Tracer 700 (basically MT07 with bits of plastic). The engine - while also CP2 - gave me a COMPLETELY different feel then what I am used to on T700. Tracer had noticeably less torque (and vibration in general) but it had that turbo-like feel once you hit over 5-6k rpm. Very racy feel.

Now 1 week later, I am back in the land of US of A, rode my Tenere just to confirm if my impressions were correct and yup - not that much exhilarating power at the top end, but that torque... Woah.

So my question is - while the engine is the same, are there differences in mapping or cams? That difference in feel was noticeable enough that I highly doubt it comes down to suspension/tires/riding height.

I don't feel any difference in power delivery - bear in mind there were several months that it was off the road prior to putting the mt-07 engine in so I wouldn't notice subtle differences. I have noticed the mt-07 engine seems to overfuel under low rev low throttle conditions (riding in town at 20mph). Causes a slight stutter and can smell the fuel. So yes there are probably slight differences to the mapping at least.

And yes I am still waiting for yamaha to sort there Shet out and give me my engine back!

WOW what a shambles and a surprise the engine shat itself.  GREAT job on getting that MT07 motor in.  Will be following your story going forward.  That Kart will need its own forum 😁 - it will be awesome.  A must do surely? 

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

16 hours ago, RIDER GUIDER said:

That Kart will need its own forum 😁 - it will be awesome.  A must do surely? 

I've brought a TRX 850 to put that engine in. Will be a mix mash of bits from all my favourite bikes - but I'll save that for another thread once I get it a bit further developed.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 1:01 AM, luke2152 said:

Well I did the swap today and I'm pleased to report it was surprisingly easy. Engine is a little heavier that I expected and made it a struggle to get in on my own but got the job done with a couple of ratchet straps. Electrically everything plugged straight in 962895903_bikeandengine.thumb.jpg.e790bc2a62137677db367d71d15079fe.jpgIMG_20210717_112220_610.thumb.jpg.3cc505f66619005e902405c60f000e0b.jpg

The engine mounts have an unusual insert which you need to wind in with a 13mm allen key. Quite a clever idea as it lets you open the frame up a few mm to fit the engine and then close it up before you put the the frame bolts in. Would be easy to overlook and you'd end up damaging the frame if you didnjust them. As I didn't have a 13mm allen key a m8 bolt with 13mm nut did the job (photos showing insert and use of nut welded to bolt to adjust).

IMG_20210717_113533_278.jpg

IMG_20210717_114756_125.jpg

Hi @luke2152 . Can I just make sure I understand how this works. After removing the M12 bolt, you need to screw in the 13mm Allen to free the engine from the frame? 

I ask as you may have seen another thread where I am trying to put a helicoil to fix the M12 bolt hole thread. Due to its length it would help to have closer access by 'removing' the front 13mm allen bit. Does your method do this? 

Apologies for the non technical terms... Thanks for your help. 

36 minutes ago, Treps said:

Hi @luke2152 . Can I just make sure I understand how this works. After removing the M12 bolt, you need to screw in the 13mm Allen to free the engine from the frame? 

I ask as you may have seen another thread where I am trying to put a helicoil to fix the M12 bolt hole thread. Due to its length it would help to have closer access by 'removing' the front 13mm allen bit. Does your method do this? 

Apologies for the non technical terms... Thanks for your help. 

Remove the large bolt and then use the 13mm allen key to wind insert out (as in anti clockwise). I think it comes out all the way which will be helpful for you but I only needed to undo it a few turns so I can't confirm. Someone else asked me the same question (Chris689) so maybe PM him and ask how he got on. And stop doing bolts up so bloody tight!!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, luke2152 said:

Remove the large bolt and then use the 13mm allen key to wind insert out (as in anti clockwise). I think it comes out all the way which will be helpful for you but I only needed to undo it a few turns so I can't confirm. Someone else asked me the same question (Chris689) so maybe PM him and ask how he got on. And stop doing bolts up so bloody tight!!

Thank you. Now it makes sense. 

I'll try! However, I did it way under the recommended 75Nm. I swear it is made of chocolate. The only thing I did was add a little copper grease... 

• 2 weeks later...

Just been on the phone to the shop again. Yamaha has supplied them with another defective cylinder head! You couldn't make this stuff up. Despite loving the bike it's really made me think twice about ever buying another Yamaha.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Hey @luke2152, any chance you weighed your CP2 (either one) at any time during this process? I have a little project I'm thinking about, and need to know the weight of this engine. I've googled it, and there doesn't seem to be any good info. Thanks!

I think I have Yamaha disease...

2 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Hey @luke2152, any chance you weighed your CP2 (either one) at any time during this process? I have a little project I'm thinking about, and need to know the weight of this engine. I've googled it, and there doesn't seem to be any good info. Thanks!

Didn't weigh it sorry

It reminds me my 660 Tenere engine exploding when 3rd gear sprocket desintegrated... i was scared of Yamaha for a loooong time! I hope this one wont go like yours, as otherwise i swear i will biuld a trebuchet and deploy this thing to a nearby dealership 😞

• Haha 1

The things I do for you guys. Now I have to put it all back together... 😄

CP2 with front sprocket, throttle bodies, injectors, filter, oil, spark plugs and coil packs, but no gear shifter or rod is 53.7kgs (118.4lbs). The engine as shown was 53.3kgs, the wooden blocks weighed 0.67kgs and the throttle bodies and injectors measured separately at 1.050kgs.

1095446535_T7Engine.thumb.jpg.1dbddc7e82120a896c9ad922132764c1.jpg

image.thumb.png.8da72d7c08fc1e53b2a6c0c063ea7182.png

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@TimeMachine YOU ARE THE CHAMP! Thanks very much for that.

I'm guessing that by the time all the electronic sensors are fitted, including wiring its going to be pushing 140lbs (64kg). I was really hoping for 120lbs...

Again, thanks a bunch.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• 1 month later...

Well I'm pleased to report that after only 319 days the problem has been resolved. The shop finally informed me they had all the parts for the rebuild. I stuck the bike in my van and drove it 600 miles back to them (fortunately had to go down that way for work as well). Turned out they'd ordered the wrong stretch bolts and couldn't get it done in time. They offered to ship it back to me at their own expense which was pretty decent of them although only fair as that was their own mistake. Anyway after that small setback it was delivered today and all seems well. I've only ridden it a couple of miles but everything seems ok.

I'd like to say a bike thank you to Laguna motorcycles in Maidstone for getting it sorted. And a big $%&^ you to Yamaha for making it so difficult. Actually even the people I talked to at Yamaha head office were helpful so the problem must be at the highest levels.

Still waiting on Yamaha to get back to me. I want them to:

Pay for my first service after running in as I'd already paid for that on the original engine.

Extend my warranty by 319 days.

Give me a letter explaining why my engine number has been stamped by hand. Obviously that's just part of rebuilding an engine but looks dodgy if I wanted to sell it.

I'll never buy another bike under warranty again - it's not worth the paper it's printed on if the main dealers don't even have access to parts. I've attached the job sheets. Sure was a lot of damage.

Next project TRX700!

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

• Like 2

• Moderators

Dayhm! What an ordeal! Looks like everything short of the gas cap needed replacing. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 4 months later...

As a follow up new engine is running great a few thousand hard miles later. Gearbox on the MT07 engine was still easier to find neutral in but maybe it just takes time to bed in.

After I complained about 319 days of my warranty being wasted with the bike being off the road, Yamaha gave me a years free extended warranty. Reading all the exclusions it doesn't seem to be worth the paper it's printed on but does include roadside recovery so I guess that's something...

They also paid for my 600 mile service at a local dealer - ended up taking a while to explain why a bike with 7000 miles needed a 600 mile service but got that box ticked anyway.

The MT07 engine is going in a TRX 850 frame which I've heavily modified to take a speed triple swingarm and some other tasty bits from otherwise boring OEM bikes!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, luke2152 said:

Gearbox on the MT07 engine was still easier to find neutral in

I also have some trouble with finding neutral, often from first it pops into second and then back down it mostly will stay in neutral but sometimes i have to do it twice.
Bike is running great so i don't think too much of it and call it character.

shame you had so much hassle. really like the thought of the mt07 engine in a trx.