Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Giving up motorcycles after people I know died

bctz123

Hello fellow t7 riders,

I have an interesting topic, because one of the most experimented people I know had a stupid accident and died.

I am in shock for the past 3-4 days and I am thinking giving up motorcycles, because I have 100x less experience than this guy had.

I am curious if you have similar experiences and what is your opinion.

Basicaly I am super scared to ride again the T7, because now I understand that even a very very small mistake on the

streets can be the last one…. And also, because I have moments when I want to Give it has and enjoy the bike, but those moments can be fatal.

I am super  curious what is you view on this subject. I feel like everyone is ignoring the facts: riding bikes is super dangerous, and I feel like we should talk more about how to avoind accidents and ride safe.

thanks!

Edited by bctz123

Sorry for your loss.

Riding a bike is dangerous! It always has been, and always will be. With over 40 years of riding under my belt, I've had my share of close calls, many bruises and broken bones. I'm lucky I live in a relatively low density area, so riding is inherently less dangerous due to lack of traffic interaction, but I've frequently ridden in high density areas (LA, San Fran, Vancouver, Houston etc) which require more caution, but no less confidence.

My only advice is to take some time away from riding. Think about how and where you ride. Being scared, overly cautious and more importantly nervous on the road, makes you more of a danger to yourself and others. Take a riding course from an approved vendor to gain confidence (NOT arrogance). See how you feel then. Be patient. If you still have doubts, give it more time. Take another course from a different vendor, or a higher level of course (I take a new course every few years). The danger and risk will NEVER go away, but your ability to manage that risk can be returned and elevated with time, training and experience.

I was discussing with my teenage kids last night about the world population wanting to eliminate risk from our lives as we will live much happier that way. I disagree. I race because I like risks. I ride because I like risks. I ski because I like risk. I also minimize the risk as much as possible through proper safety equipment, training and increasing my abilities by pushing my limits. Life is about living. I'm sure your buddy would want you to keep riding - safely. For a long time. Take your time to re-develop your confidence, and celebrate small wins with gusto. Your life will be more fulfilled on a motorbike, if that's your passion.

Good luck!

• Like 6

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Sorry to hear of your loss. 

Wow, now that's a difficult decision to make.  I won't convince you to get back on your bike when you're in mourning, but perhaps that's just what is needed for you to move on.  I have lost dear friends to motorcycle accidents as well as car accidents and other things.  It's not unusual to join a large group of other bikers to attend the funeral of a fellow rider and that solidarity surely helps with healing.  Go riding for your friend and for you.

• Like 4
  • Moderators

@bctz123 Sorry for the loss of your friend.  We all have lost someone close to us, whether it be from an auto or motorcycle accident,  incurable disease, self Induced actions ( drugs/ booze), but it happens.  Our choice is whether or not we stop living because of our grief or fear of the unknown. Fear is a very powerful,  paralyzing force, that we must keep in check or it'll rule our lives.  These moments in life make us pause and take stock of what's important and how we are living. In my 55 years of riding I've had some close calls, lost some friends and got some broken bones in a dog vs mc crash that did just that, so I took a few years away from street riding and concentrated on dirt. My thought process was that in the dirt I had less chance of someone else causing me to crash, so all mistakes would be mine and mine alone. Those dirt only years riding with both of my boys reminded me of why I love to ride and what it does for my psyche.  In essence, my life is much more fulfilling when I ride and does wonders by helping me " unplug" from electronics and other distractions allowing me to smell the freshly cut hay, feel the coolness as I gain altitude and just feel the wind.  When you're ready, take a ride down a dirt road, stop at some beautiful viewpoints, remember your friend and continue living.

• Like 6

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

@bctz123 Sorry for the loss of your friend.

I started riding again after about 30 years off motorcycles and at a point in my life when I was in despair about a life threatening medical condition that prevented me from living my life more fully. Riding for me was an affirmation of life during the 4 years when I had to give up leading remote wilderness expeditions, riding single speed mountain bikes, scuba diving and many other things that I loved. Thankfully, my medical situation has been resolved and I'm grateful for everyday that I'm on a bike or doing anything else. Those years riding my motorcycle on long trips with my riding buddy and solo immeasurably improved my mental health and my quality of life.

I ride fully present every time I'm on a bike. If I'm not focused I pull over and reset or quit for the day. Motorcycling for me is a mindfulness practice. It remains an affirmation of life for me. I found this article at some point in my journey. It is precisely because motorcycling reminds me constantly of my own mortality that I continue to ride:

Make Today Count: Motorcycling as Memento Mori

Dave

• Like 1