Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

SuperMoto T7?

Rich TT

The more I ride this bike  @Aleksandar13 , the more I think it would be awesome with a quick shifter. That's for folks with non standard exhausts. It's kinda a hooligan bike the more I ride it 😎

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

The more I ride this bike  @Aleksandar13 , the more I think it would be awesome with a quick shifter. That's for folks with non standard exhausts. It's kinda a hooligan bike the more I ride it 😎

The race is on... Who's going to be the first on the forum to have the quickshifter fitted.. 🤣😉

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

For people who are still interested in doing the leap and making this bine a street carver some pictures for inspiration.. Can't wait to get my hands on a quickshifter soon... 👍 I think it will be a killer out of corners... Brap brap... 🏍️💨💯👍😜

20200710155458_IMG_1002.jpg

20200710155145_IMG_0992.jpg

20200703142631_IMG_0910.jpg

20200710155214_IMG_0994.jpg

• Like 6

El 3/6/2020 a las 13:56, AndyJ dijo:

Lupan

Ido por las bolsas de Kriega OS.

Tengo 2 OS6 en el frente, uno en cada lado conectado a las barras de choque Touratech.

En la parte posterior (izquierda) tengo 2 OS12 montados en la plataforma Kriega OS, que está montada en un estante Kappa a través de soportes hechos en casa.

Para equilibrar el peso, monte una caja de herramientas Touratech en la parte trasera (derecha) usando un btracket hecho en casa. 

En la parte superior tengo un OS18 montado usando bucles OS-Rack en el Yamaha Mono Seat Rack, también tengo una pequeña bolsa de depósito Givi montada en una placa superior hecha en casa en una estante Kappa.

Creo que esto me da muchas combinaciones que hasta ahora han funcionado.

Avísame si quieres alguna foto y agregar más

DSC_0325 [1] .JPG

hola en primer lugar decir que soy de españa intentare enteder todo loq ue deciis . tengo unas llantas de mt07 pero no se ajustan el eje de la delatera puedo tornear el inteior de la llanta y meter los rodamientos que monta la t700 ?

la llanta trasera no alinea quieda muchio acia la izquierda y si la pones al centro la pinza de freno do engancha como solucionastes el problema de la llanta trasera?

Hello, first of all, to say that I am from Spain, I will try to understand everything you say. I have some mt07 rims but the front axle does not fit. Can I turn the inside of the rim and fit the bearings that the t700 mounts?

the rear rim does not align much to the left and if you put it in the center the brake caliper does not engage how did you solve the problem of the rear rim?

• Like 2

Hi Lupan,

I decided not to modify the the hub of the MT07 wheels to fit the T700 bearings as I believe this will weeken the wheel.  I designed a new front axle that fitted the MT07 bearings and the T700 forks.  I also had to machine the brake disc mounts on the front wheel to match the T700.

For the back wheel I retained the sprocket hub as it is the same for both bikes and I spaced the disc to match the caliper and made a new spacer for the axle.

I have been asked by another member to design a kit of parts which I extimate will cost £150 + delivery, would this interest you?

Regards

Andy

• Like 3

On 25/5/2020 at 10:09, Aleksandar13 said:

Hola Andy, 

Me alegra saber que el ABS funcionó en la transmisión corta ... Estoy seguro de que todas las piezas / soportes mecanizados eventualmente funcionarán juntos y las ruedas encajarán como usted desea. 

No puedo esperar para ver algunas fotos ... Si necesita algo, hágamelo saber. 

Aleks 

como arreglastes para que entrara los discos de freno cuanto rebajastes de cada lado la llanta?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all.

I literally joined this forum so I could follow this thread and participate. 

This is super cool and do look forward to seeing what you all come up with (or bring to market!!).

• Like 1

Alberto,

sorry I didn't reply sooner, my Spanish is not good, but I think you are asking about how much I moved the brake discs.

I had the front wheel machined by 5mm on both sides and I made a spacer for the back wheel which moved the disc out by ~ 8mm and also had to remake the wheel spacer to add an extra 8mm.

• Like 1

Alex

I am blown away with your SM project, and I've only read parts of it to date. I'm a mech engineer but spent the last 10 years of my career in composites (carbon fibre) working for Southern Spars who built NZ's winning America's Cup yacht. I'm now retired and having a ball playing with motorbikes. I've lost the ability to use my employers workshop for my engineering mods!!! which is sad but I do have my own composites shop in my garage and can vacuum mould some neat fittings. Last year I picked up a 10 yr old DRZ 400 SM that I had a lot of fun cleaning up see pic appended. Have a look at the exhaust bracket on my SV (it weighs 150 grams). I have a serious question and I may have missed this in your build file. Have you decatted your SM project bike?? If I purchase the T700 I am interested in getting to a minimum weight and losing the cat is a big saving - I'm not interested in more power just weight.

_DSC1529.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casper99 said:

Alex

I am blown away with your SM project, and I've only read parts of it to date. I'm a mech engineer but spent the last 10 years of my career in composites (carbon fiber) working for Southern Spars who built NZ's winning America's Cup yacht. I'm now retired and having a ball playing with motorbikes. I've lost the ability to use my employers workshop for my engineering mods !!! which is sad but I do have my own composites shop in my garage and can vacuum mold some neat fittings. Last year I picked up a 10 yr old DRZ 400 SM that I had a lot of fun cleaning up see pic appended. Have a look at the exhaust bracket on my SV (it weighs 150 grams). I have a serious question and I may have missed this in your build file. Have you decatted your SM project bike ?? If I purchase the T700 I am interested in getting to a minimum weight and losing the cat is a big saving - I'm not interested in more power just weight.

_DSC1529.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

Hi mate,

Nice to hear you about your journey with molding carbon composites ... I still have use of laser, mill welders etc and can create some interesting parts but time is not on my side at the moment ... Drz 400 looks amazing ..must be fun!

I have not taken the cat out, just a shorty exhaust that saved a lot of weight from stock ... there is another thread around with people who have done the full system..I am currently waiting on some parts from Australia and then I will put a quickshifter on, maybe new filter and a tune at some point this winter .. I have been through the rear tire in 2700 miles that how much fun the bike is ... Once I have finished setting up the suspension (which is 90% there) then I will post back what I think is the best supermoto setup from my experience.

Would be interested to know if you could make carbon fiber engine guard? 😄 

Aleks

20200802134349_IMG_1210.jpg

20200802134534_IMG_1214.jpg

20200802134923_IMG_1224.jpg

20200802130134_IMG_1175.jpg

• Like 1

Casper 99,

I too am a mechanical engineer, approaching retirement, so time is nearly on my side.  I have done less mods than Alex, my choice of wheels was cast trather than spoked, and I opted to retain the original exhaust to avoid attracting unwanted attention.

My main aim was to be able to convert the bike from SM to off road in less than an hour - so far I'm at around 45 minutes.

Alex is dead right about the fun factor, and I havn't yet got round to putting decent tyres on the bike yet!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AndyJ said:

Casper 99,

I too am a mechanical engineer, approaching retirement, so time is nearly on my side.  I have done less mods than Alex, my choice of wheels was cast trather than spoked, and I opted to retain the original exhaust to avoid attracting unwanted attention.

My main aim was to be able to convert the bike from SM to off road in less than an hour - so far I'm at around 45 minutes.

Alex is dead right about the fun factor, and I havn't yet got round to putting decent tyres on the bike yet!

Andy, I have now ordered my second rear and it has arrived yesterday... So much fun... 🏍️💨👌

• 6 months later...

The quest to have the best T700 supermoto goes on... I am pleased to say that the next step into making the bike feel like a proper Supermoto will be to have a look at the brakes... 

After weeks of research and with help from other forum members I have ordered the 6 piston caliper from Beringer  and the Galespeed 17,5mm VRC master cyclinder.

I will be doing a bypass of the ABS system and will run braided lines. The R1 disc is 320mm and will fit with the calliper.. installation photos to follow in couple weeks time.. 😄 

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-04 at 05.56.28.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-19 at 15.58.32.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-19 at 15.58.21.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

First mockup of the brake as soon as it arrived... Wife could not understand the excitement I got when it went on... 👍🏼😂.. 

Installation to follow. 

Aleks 

IMG-20210329-WA0045.jpeg

IMG-20210329-WA0031.jpeg

IMG-20210329-WA0033.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Bike is really awesome now after these mods..loving it. 

Aleks 

20210411102143_IMG_2152.jpg

20210411111006_IMG_2195.jpg

20210411105521_IMG_2177.jpg

20210411111209_IMG_2203.jpg

20210411111119_IMG_2200.jpg

20210411105618_IMG_2180.jpg

20210411105628_IMG_2181.jpg

20210411100819_IMG_2145.jpg

20210411105659_IMG_2183.jpg

• Like 4

Such a great bike. Some change it into a dirt bike. Some change it into a loaded down long-hauler.  Some change it into a street sport bike. I cannot think of one other bike that can be that versatile and do it that well.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Are you still able to make the correct wheel sensors for mag style wheels like Andy has converted I’m currently on the hunt for a set of wheels 

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2020 at 8:00 AM, AndyJ said:

Casper 99,

Hi Andy 

Hi Andy 

I own a t7 and a set of tracer wheels and desperately want to convert it to the super Moto are you still offering the conversion kit I’ll snap one up of you 

• Like 1

I have made the abs ring which sorted the abs and the Speedo problem but the rest was done by Andy.

I will check stock to see if I have the abs rings in stock.

Aleks

• 8 months later...
On 8/7/2021 at 7:31 AM, Aleksandar13 said:

I have made the abs ring which sorted the abs and the Speedo problem but the rest was done by Andy.

I will check stock to see if I have the abs rings in stock.

Aleks

Hey Aleks! Greetings from Portugal. I was wondering if you could source the ABS rings to me? 🙂

2 hours ago, Figueiredu said:

Hey Aleks! Greetings from Portugal. I was wondering if you could source the ABS rings to me? 🙂

You may need to alert him with @Aleksandar13 Parts required or something so he'll get a notice.

And the rings work really well.

Edited by Landshark

oh i didnt know there was a thread here about the SM mod. i have a T7 SM aswell but with cast alloy wheels which save around 5kgs in rotating mass. i cant sadly compare it to the stock config because the bike was already modded when i bought it but all i can say is that it handles like a dream, scraping footpegs with ease, it is a quiet expensive mod though and i only got it because of a really good price. anyone who doesnt need the offroad factor of the t7 should consider doing this!

spacer.pngspacer.png

the kit includes everything you need to get it working. my T7 should be sitting at around 192kgs wet now.

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 7/14/2020 at 9:57 AM, AndyJ said:

Hi Lupan,

I decided not to modify the the hub of the MT07 wheels to fit the T700 bearings as I believe this will weeken the wheel.  I designed a new front axle that fitted the MT07 bearings and the T700 forks.  I also had to machine the brake disc mounts on the front wheel to match the T700.

For the back wheel I retained the sprocket hub as it is the same for both bikes and I spaced the disc to match the caliper and made a new spacer for the axle.

I have been asked by another member to design a kit of parts which I extimate will cost £150 + delivery, would this interest you?

Regards

Andy

Hi @AndyJ

I hope you are well,

I just got myself a pair of MT07 wheels and although a mate of mine is willing to help me modify the front hub, I must say I am not a fan of weakening the wheel's structure much like yourself.

My question is, would you still be able to provide the parts kit for me to fit the mt07 wheels without having to modify the front wheel, please?

£150 + postage also sounds good!

What I have currently are as follows:

MT07 front and rear wheel

Bearings

43T Sprocket
Discs
ABS Rings
Tires

Please find the image attached,

Dear @Aleksandar13

Would you be able to help me out with the required ABS rings for this setup please?

What would be the damage for these rings?

I look forward to both of your replies!

Many thanks in advance! (I'm sooo pumped and hopeful! 🙂 )

IMG_5225.jpg

Edited by DanB

DanB,

Unfortuntley I doubt if I will be able to get anywhere near the £150 now as costs seem to have gone up dramatically since I did the project.  Also I have discovered a problem with the design recently that I have not yet resolved.

Essentially because the MT07 wheels (and MT09) have a smaller spindle, and because the ABS disc mounts on the opposite side to the Tenere I had to manufacture a spindle that mounts from the opposite side to the normal Tenere axle. 

This meant I have to devise a way to clamp the wheel bearings and my design did not do it with sufficient load, as I found out when the fron wheel bearings started to collapse on me! 

The final challenge, which I knew about but work round on my bike, is the level of accuracy the wheel has to be assembled means a bit of grinding may be required on one spacer.

This is all front wheel related as the rear is easy!

I'm out of the country at the moment, when I get back in a little over a week I will have alook at what parts I have available from the old batch and get back to you.

• 1 month later...

@DanBdid you make it work with the mt07 wheels?

@AndyJIm going to do a conversion as well with the mt07 rims but I need some more info on how to fix the front wheel and abs ring. Can you help me out with that part? 

@Aleksandar13do you stil sell the abs rings? 

Picking up the rims in a week or 2 and exited to start the build but it needs to work properly!