Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Sold the t700sm and bought this 🏍️💨💯🤓💙!

Aleksandar13

Clocks in @1000 miles and after setting the bike up with FTR I can recommend to anyone to spend the money and get their bike set up properly by a professional... Just handles so much better and confidence inspiring ... Shots from today ..

20210822110737_IMG_2775.jpg

20210822110849_IMG_2782.jpg

20210822102009_IMG_2731.jpg

20210822110654_IMG_2772.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great to be able to be out on the bike yesterday and managed to get another 220 miles since last posted on here .. I'm getting to know the bike better and have to say it's an amazing chassis and engine . Runs like a champ and handles far far better than anything I've ridden in the last 5 years .

The s22 tyres are great and offer so much grip in the wet or dry ... Shots from the last ride .. any comments welcome... 👌😉

20210829165801_IMG_2876.jpg

20210829145621_IMG_2826.jpg

20210829145721_IMG_2832_1.jpg

20210829145817_IMG_2837.jpg

20210829145956_IMG_2845.jpg

20210829165449_IMG_2860.jpg

20210829165716_IMG_2872.jpg

• Like 3

So, how many traffic tickets to date?  🤣

That's a great  looking bike.  You should let me ride it.  I promise I won't over rev it (at least in the first 3 gears) and any tickets I get I should be able to pay for.  What could go wrong?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Landshark said:

So, how many traffic tickets to date?  🤣

That's a great  looking bike.  You should let me ride it.  I promise I won't over rev it (at least in the first 3 gears) and any tickets I get I should be able to pay for.  What could go wrong?

No tickets so far ... I only ride ok country lanes ... 😎

• Like 1

I hope you don't mind me butting in.......and it ain't awkward but....

I have to fess up and say I bought Aleksandar's T700SM yesterday.....12 mile test run was enough to confirm I wanted it.  I'm only 5 foot 9, so I was on tippy toes, so need to source a standard seat or drop the suspension.    Dealer insists on a service as part of a 6 month warranty, so I don't pick it up for a while as they have to schedule it in.

Alexsandar, lets cut out the middle man next time.  When you upgrade to a MT-10 in 2 years time, can I have 1st dibs on your upgraded MT09-SP? .......What a cheek!

I was considering getting an SP myself.  These MT9s are more than enough for the road.  I have a 2016 XSR900, so its pretty similar, if a little less whizz bang (847cc). 

The T700sm handles really well, great damping....(my XSR is recently flashed/piped and NTR1'd and suspension set up by Steve Jordan in Surrey) but while T700 doesn't have the outright pull of the flashed 847cc engine, its still pretty fit and grunty. Much smoother than my flashed XSR too.  Very impressive enhancements.  

I test rode the new GSXS1000 (pegs too high and throttle too immediate off 1st gear, though throttle itself after that not twitchy and nice induction noise) and also requested demo tests on new Monster 937, new Street Twin and MT09SP - none of the dealers got back to me....must be a supply issue.

That was what I was looking for and wasn't expecting to land on a T700 but I do love a twin.  I had a KTM950SM a few years back - put 25k on it over 4 years but it left me at the side of the road twice a year waiting for Motorcycle SOS, so had to get rid in the end.  That was a fantastic bike 99% of the time.  Loved it. 

I think the T700 saved me as I was getting a little desperate and was considering a CMX 1100! Would have been my 1st Honda.  Dealership was closed when I stopped by.  Africa Twin 1100 engine, and DCT for £10k.  Bargain but the custom styling is a bit marmite and I hate marmite. I guess the DCT will have to wait.

Apologies Aleksander, but my 1st "upgrade" is to add weight with a Givi rack and top box - all my bikes have to commute and earn a living.  I do take care of them.  I'm booking in to Steve Jordan for dyno/AFR check and help with vertigo inducing seat height.  Might try another Nitron.  Also have a 2003 ZRX1200R that's no longer London compliant, so its really more of a garden ornament than a bike these days.

Despite my long windedness here, Im not much of a poster, but will pop in now and again.

Cheers

XSR900 and Bailey...and son.jpg

• Like 4

The new owner isnt a cockapoo - that's Bailey and my truncated son...for reasons of anonymity.... 

Glad you are lik’n it Alix!

My2015fz 09 with after market fork cartridges, and penske shock rules! 

It sits parked. Folds me up to much. If I go back to the track; It will be under my butt.

45 minutes ago, wardylondon said:

I have to fess up and say I bought Aleksandar's T700SM yesterday.....12 mile test run was enough to confirm I wanted it.  I'm only 5 foot 9, so I was on tippy toes, so need to source a standard seat or drop the suspension.    Dealer insists on a service as part of a 6 month warranty, so I don't pick it up for a while as they have to schedule it in.

Alexsandar, lets cut out the middle man next time.  When you upgrade to a MT-10 in 2 years time, can I have 1st dibs on your upgraded MT09-SP? .......What a cheek!

I was considering getting an SP myself.  These MT9s are more than enough for the road.  I have a 2016 XSR900, so its pretty similar, if a little less whizz bang (847cc). 

The T700sm handles really well, great damping....(my XSR is recently flashed/piped and NTR1'd and suspension set up by Steve Jordan in Surrey) but while T700 doesn't have the outright pull of the flashed 847cc engine, its still pretty fit and grunty. Much smoother than my flashed XSR too.  Very impressive enhancements.  

I test rode the new GSXS1000 (pegs too high and throttle too immediate off 1st gear, though throttle itself after that not twitchy and nice induction noise) and also requested demo tests on new Monster 937, new Street Twin and MT09SP - none of the dealers got back to me....must be a supply issue.

That was what I was looking for and wasn't expecting to land on a T700 but I do love a twin.  I had a KTM950SM a few years back - put 25k on it over 4 years but it left me at the side of the road twice a year waiting for Motorcycle SOS, so had to get rid in the end.  That was a fantastic bike 99% of the time.  Loved it. 

I think the T700 saved me as I was getting a little desperate and was considering a CMX 1100! Would have been my 1st Honda.  Dealership was closed when I stopped by.  Africa Twin 1100 engine, and DCT for £10k.  Bargain but the custom styling is a bit marmite and I hate marmite. I guess the DCT will have to wait.

Apologies Aleksander, but my 1st "upgrade" is to add weight with a Givi rack and top box - all my bikes have to commute and earn a living.  I do take care of them.  I'm booking in to Steve Jordan for dyno/AFR check and help with vertigo inducing seat height.  Might try another Nitron.  Also have a 2003 ZRX1200R that's no longer London compliant, so its really more of a garden ornament than a bike these days.

Despite my long windedness here, Im not much of a poster, but will pop in now and again.

Cheers

I know this bike well as Aleks is a mate and I've been on his journey together firing ideas around etc. I've ridden it and it's a great bike. I wouldn't bother testing the AFR. Aleks already did this with his remap at Dave Wood racing and has got the print out I think.

I'd say enjoy the bike. It's fully sorted.

@Aleksandar13 will love that you're adding a top box. He loves them🤣🤣🤣🤣🥳

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, wardylondon said:

Cheers

Welcome to the forum and hopefully you will enjoy the bike as much as I did . I am happy to hear that the t700sm has found a good place to stay and will be taken care off..  don't worry about dyno and Afr it's all been done properly I think she made 76whp and Afr was great.

Let me know if I can help with anything .

Can't stand a top box and I will have a night or two of nightmares 😂😂😂... Aleks

• Haha 1

I agree a top box looks terrible but you need somewhere to put the tools, tyre repair kit, waterproofs, man bag…. It turns a toy into a mode of transport…. Where to you put the bottle of wine from the co op on your way home from the office?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wardylondon said:

I agree a top box looks terrible but you need somewhere to put the tools, tyre repair kit, waterproofs, man bag…. It turns a toy into a mode of transport…. Where to you put the bottle of wine from the co op on your way home from the office?

I don't use my bike daily and when I did I always had soft luggage and or a back pack. 😄

Alex’s, you don’t still have the OE seat do you? I sent you a pm on adventure rider if you want to discuss.

Something to consider. What I dont know is if the wheels from a Gen 1 and 2 MT09 will fit a Gen 3.

20180516_170843.thumb.jpg.0e792331eb0606827000b53395ae8de5.jpg

20180914_175355.thumb.jpg.097da77da6e2449940a9fed5dd728a4a.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Something to consider. What I dont know is if the wheels from a Gen 1 and 2 MT09 will fit a Gen 3.

20180516_170843.thumb.jpg.0e792331eb0606827000b53395ae8de5.jpg

20180914_175355.thumb.jpg.097da77da6e2449940a9fed5dd728a4a.jpg

Don't post things like carbon wheels ,you want to get me in trouble with the new Mt09. 😂😂😂, Man that looks good 

• Haha 1

For those who care about more mundane things, I did 24,000 miles on the XSR900 in 3 years, mainly commuting in and out of London, returned 52mpg, valves needed no adjustment at 24,ooo miles and broke down once when my clutch cable snapped at 1,500 miles….it had just had the handle bar warranty recall work done and figure they re routed the cable in correctly…. My ZRX1200R by comparison has valve checks every 8,000 miles. Owned new from 2003, now with 66,000 miles and had at least 8 valve checks, needed adjustment on 6 occassions and one time 14 of 16 valves needed new shim or swaps. The Yamaha’s seem much lower maintenance by comparison to the Kawasaki’s I’ve owned.

• Like 1

Of course the ZRX traces back its heritage to the GPz900R while the CP3 engine was all new in 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

Rich TT, these pics FYI….did 60 miles yesterday…..glorious ….Aleks, look away!

image.thumb.jpeg.7fc0d1e0526f203334763a918665ab9e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ff2086343d5f6f38ffabb4f15f85d0b7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5feeca6a252a9f98e81af8028d0413e3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/30/2021 at 2:29 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

20210829145721_IMG_2832_1.jpg

Nice! Looks like your getting it leaned over a bit! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ordered heated grips today and they are integrated in the controls which is a huge thing for me ... Can't wait to get out on the bike again.

For all of you that are considering this bike ... One word : hooligan.

Electronics package makes it so much fun and wheelies are amazing and controlled.

Full system soon and tune by Dave wood. 🤩🏍️💨📸💯

20211009132613_IMG_2905 (1).jpg

• Moderators
On 9/18/2021 at 4:42 AM, wardylondon said:

Rich TT, these pics FYI….did 60 miles yesterday…..glorious ….Aleks, look away!

image.thumb.jpeg.7fc0d1e0526f203334763a918665ab9e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ff2086343d5f6f38ffabb4f15f85d0b7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5feeca6a252a9f98e81af8028d0413e3.jpeg

That's fantastic - great to see the SM living on!

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

I get it.  I've got both an Tracer 900 (MT09 with toys) and the Tenere 700, and love them both to bits.  The T7 is excellent when you're going offroad, the Tracer is a beast on road.  If I had to go back to just one... Well, that would be a very, very tough choice.  

Can't fault the MT09 though if you're not going offroad, as then you're missing out on the real strengths of the Tenere.  The SM setup is cool, but if you're just on the road, the CP3's power is significant.  I will say though: I went up two teeth on the rear sprocket, because I found the initial grunt somewhat bland up till around 5000rpm.  However, the Tracer has a 2" longer swingarm to put more power down before lifting the front, I dunno if an MT09 could handle that without just becoming a unicycle. 

Anyways, enjoy it.  It's a damn nice ride.

20211013_145016.thumb.jpg.122c7a07f32b7d18823c0edc3460ae4c.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I get it.  I've got both an Tracer 900 (MT09 with toys) and the Tenere 700, and love them both to bits.  The T7 is excellent when you're going offroad, the Tracer is a beast on road.  If I had to go back to just one... Well, that would be a very, very tough choice.  

Can't fault the MT09 though if you're not going offroad, as then you're missing out on the real strengths of the Tenere.  The SM setup is cool, but if you're just on the road, the CP3's power is significant.  I will say though: I went up two teeth on the rear sprocket, because I found the initial grunt somewhat bland up till around 5000rpm.  However, the Tracer has a 2" longer swingarm to put more power down before lifting the front, I dunno if an MT09 could handle that without just becoming a unicycle. 

Anyways, enjoy it.  It's a damn nice ride.

20211013_145016.thumb.jpg.122c7a07f32b7d18823c0edc3460ae4c.jpg

The new Mt09 is amazing ... Pulls hard from 3k rpm and handles so much better than anything I've owned ... The t700 supermoto had the unique factor but was lacking the handling without putting thousands into suspension... I feel a supermoto project might be coming again in the future but I'm not selling the SP. 

Wr450 with a cp2 engine would be a dream build but it's not as easy as it soundsal.

Aleks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DazR said:

Have you all lost your minds?🤣🤣

You should not be on this forum if you are a normal person ...🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an update on the mt09... Last night managed to fit the heated grips and love them already , they integrate with the control in the TFT screen and are so easy to install... Amazing product by Yamaha... Oxford should change their controller before they get in trouble.🤣🤣

Exhaust is on order and should be here next week Wednesday... I went for the low mount exhaust against @Rich T advice , I love the looks and think it will be great to view the brushed swingarm.. also weighs less which is always a bonus... Next would be MWR filter and a tune to match... Just need to find the time to get up to Dave wood.

Bikes with intake and exhaust are gaining good torque aroun 8nm in the midrange an increase in rpm at the top and the top end dip in power is gone ,it will be worth it to get it remapped.

Aleks

Screenshot_2021-11-06-19-08-47-59_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

IMG20211112192751.jpg