Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Chain Size and Sprockets

prwatts

13 hours ago, HomerFX said:

@JayD It would be very rare to have the sprockets fail underway, they would wear out so you could plan exchanging them at the nearest town and borrow the tools from most workshops. The chain could snap midway and only needs the rear axle tool which you should have along for a long trip.

I've been dreaming of a trans Africa trip of a long while and wondered about those situations too. I've done several off-road tours in South Africa on a WR450 and have always found friendly helpful locals when needed, it adds to the adventure and you get to meet wonderful people. I only carry the basic and bike specific tools I need to get to the next town if needed, the same would go for spares on a longer trip (spare air/oil filters, master links, etc, things that might need to be ordered)

As for spare tires, chain and sprockets or any other predictable wear parts that are bulky, I'm considering looking for a local dealer within range of a change and try order in advance. It should be possible with tires and save lugging a set along for half the journey. I guess the infrastructure has developed the past 30 years. I'm considering a trip down before the winter 2022, certainly think the T7 is up for it, I need to get fit for it :)

Cheers, it's been a great chat. 

Oh man, I would join you in a heartbeat! I just got done reading Sam Manicoms «Into Africa». I highly recommend it if you haven’t, but be warned, once you’ve read it, you’ll be on your way the next day.

Same my friend, I’m taking notes of this valuable information!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayD said:

Havent traveled through Africa «yet» - is this something you’re planning?

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list 😉

Africa is on there as well, but probably after Central Asia. Oman and Saudi Arabia (now that they're opening up to tourists in their own vehicles) are probably next in line. And from there Africa is just across the Red Sea. South America is also high on the wish list.

So many places... so little time.

1 hour ago, JayD said:

May I ask, what kind of chain tool are you carrying?

In my workshop I have a proper big bulky heavy tool that does it all: splitting, pressing the plate and riveting. On the road I carry a much more compact tool that only does the pressing and riveting (pictured below). For splitting there's other ways (small metal saw, file, punch, ...). When changing the chain in my own workshop I usually also don't even bother doing it cleanly. An angle grinder does the job in seconds 😇. Many people I've met on the road carried the Motion Pro tool.

afam-easy-riv-5-chain-tool.jpg

• Like 1

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

@duibhceKThanks for your time!

That sounds so cool, sounds like you’ve travelled a lot. I have big plans myself, but I have to wait till my son gets a little older. Until then Europe has to be sufficient. Just like you, so many places, so many dreams, so little time 😅

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JayD said:

Until then Europe has to be sufficient.

Plenty of nice places to visit in Europe! I still enjoy discovering new things in the Balkans every year.

I'm not sure I'll be able to convince my wife to return to your neck of the woods again on our bikes. The previous time we were in Norway was end of August, beginning of September, with rainy days alternated with sunny days, but freezing nights. Especially up north. Still enjoyed the beautiful scenery, but camping comfort was limited. 😅

• Haha 1

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

@duibhceKHehe, tell me about it! Norway can get really chilly. Once Europe opens up I’m heading down to southern Spain or Italy. I can’t wait! 😄 

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, has anybody found/fitted a 14 tooth front sprocket? I want to gear down for gnarly bits. Don't need high road speeds (Max limit 100kph here). Mr google doesn't seem to find any 14t and JT Sprockets likewise. Thanks.

Making James May look quick!

5 hours ago, TimG said:

Hi folks, has anybody found/fitted a 14 tooth front sprocket? I want to gear down for gnarly bits. Don't need high road speeds (Max limit 100kph here). Mr google doesn't seem to find any 14t and JT Sprockets likewise. Thanks.

IIRC, I believe @Camel ADVwent that route with his now crushed T7 😭...Maybe he has some insight?

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
30 minutes ago, TimmyTheHog said:

IIRC, I believe @Camel ADVwent that route with his now crushed T7 😭...Maybe he has some insight?

I had a 14T on that bike and the same on the Canadian bike too. It's great for trails but it revs pretty high on the road. I may go back to a 15T.

ProTek was the brand I think.

• Like 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com