Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Luggage options

Rich TT

I've read this post from start to finish and there are inumerable points on which I will go away and have a little look.

I'm about to pick up my T7 which will be used mainly for work, needing a locked topbox but also for the odd big intercontinetal ride.

For such a narrow slight bike, adding width beyond the handlbars seems a traversty. I've also left a few scrapes down some other vehicles when riding with wide panniers and don't want that guilt!

Seems to me that soft panniers along with a givi top box and mounting plate I already have would keep the width down nicely. However there is the matter of security. I'd try to keep the value of stuff packed in side painners down, but someone stealing an easy to get to sleeping bag can really upset a trip.

In the past, I've used a paksafe exomesh, basically a wire bag to put a soft bag into mainly designed for backpackers to secure a rucksack, to secure luggage. However, the wire mesh is likely to have a bad impact on the bike's plastics, so a frame would be needed. I like the look of a number of home made I've seen on here.

Paksafe's smallest size is 55L which is way too big for the 30L max I want to carry on each side. Has anyone got any good ideas on securing soft luggage which is of the small variety?

Cheers Dave

• Like 1

Hi @dobbi

On the top box side, I have the adventure spec rear rack (super light, strong and the best looking one in my opinion) and a universal givi plate (£20 or something from Sportsbike shop) and I kept my givi top box from my Pegaso and it works a treat. I can still get my rally seat on and off.

I use this for commuting to keep my helmet/gloves locked away, but for fun trips I plan to get the Enduristan L or XL. I will then take them off at night, so not worried about security.

Cheers

Rich

IMG_20200813_182311.jpg

On 6/13/2020 at 10:35 AM, Matth said:

Currently have the Adventure pack fitted as that what it came with and some pannier protectors fitted, will use the original frames and fit some magadan soft panniers as extremely good and very strong. About £450 all in. 

Ive attached some pics of the Magadans on my GS

BE0984AB-7CA4-494A-8C2E-436C2DD25817.jpeg

28232771-D621-42F7-A2AE-99610512A13D.jpeg

Hello. I'm ordering the OEM pannier racks as well. I'm trying to get a plate that will mount on the right side rack that will make a flat surface to mount my Mosko panniers on. (I will remove the extra hardware on the OEM rack) Mosko sells these plates (see this link for the example) but there are different sizes based from the off set of the rack.

mosko-moto-hardware-bmw-r1200gsa-oil-coo

This adapter makes it possible to install Mosko Moto panniers on OEM Touratech-made BMW R1200GSA Oil-Cooled racks, by creating a flat mounting surface on the exhaust side of the bike. It's fully compatible with the quick-release mounting system included with our Backcountry...

Would you be willing to measure and tell me what the off set is on the right side rack? How many millimeters is it? 

Thanks,

Scott

15 hours ago, tscottj said:

Hello. I'm ordering the OEM pannier racks as well. I'm trying to get a plate that will mount on the right side rack that will make a flat surface to mount my Mosko panniers on. (I will remove the extra hardware on the OEM rack) Mosko sells these plates (see this link for the example) but there are different sizes based from the off set of the rack.

mosko-moto-hardware-bmw-r1200gsa-oil-coo

This adapter makes it possible to install Mosko Moto panniers on OEM Touratech-made BMW R1200GSA Oil-Cooled racks, by creating a flat mounting surface on the exhaust side of the bike. It's fully compatible with the quick-release mounting system included with our Backcountry...

Would you be willing to measure and tell me what the off set is on the right side rack? How many millimeters is it? 

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott

my racks not fitted at the mo but taken some pics and i have marked in grey in picture 2 the area you needs measurements?

50DB09AC-2B0C-4AC1-ABD0-081019F831CA.jpeg

F02BA571-8ED8-42FB-A268-2D5BBC2E0B3E.jpeg

02C500E2-047E-4898-9777-C6C338354BE8.jpeg

Edited by Matth

What I was trying to determine is the distance of the red line in this picture. Looks like 60mm. That's the "offset" of the Yamaha rack. Which is to say, the distance in mm to bring the top bar inline and parallel with the bottom bar. That will help Mosko know what adapter plate I need. 

T700YamahaRack1WithLines.thumb.png.13dd29c2d8a3094145661588099da615.png

Edited by tscottj

@Matth The distance needed is the red line as shown here, measured straight across, not at an angle. I've contacted Mosko with the number Nige T got to me but hopefully this can help others who may be wanting to do that same thing...

GiviRack.thumb.jpeg.a39b71546dce99d12eabf657ce883471.jpeg

• Moderators
On 8/30/2020 at 9:39 PM, vagrant318 said:

I just received my tusk panniers and top plate, all looks very good quality and robust. The bike looks so good without them but I need a locking topbox as I ride every day and it's too handy not to have. The price is so good with panniers it almost doesn't make sense to only get the rear top plate really. They should also provide a certain amount of crash protection for the exhaust and rear plastic. When I do long trips I like to do almost 50% between camping and hotel so it's very nice to have the panniers to easily bring all the camping gear when staying at a hotel. Otherwise I'd prefer to keep the bike sleek and slim..

IMG_20200830_202652.thumb.jpg.24d05339b9077590f070c2baefa28271.jpg

IMG_20200830_202747.thumb.jpg.8b92a60dedb60382a16bb245fe8eeb58.jpg

@vagrant318 Any pics with the panniers installed? Thx

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 10/28/2019 at 3:04 AM, ChrisH said:

Hi, got this SW Motech seat bag after seeing one on another forum, fits well on the four existing mounting points,  26 litre expanding to 35 I think. 
by the way I’m in Shepshed if you want to have a look.

1818EC11-1E31-4111-A2FF-EAB20DD9A842.jpeg

449A5C4B-09FF-43D6-9EA5-4FBE17F81BFB.jpeg

How did you attach it to the mounting points?  In the pic it looks like the tail bag is custom-made to fit to those four points!

Has anyone used these bags from Giant Loop?

I am trying to find something that a) is compatible as a soft option with the Factory OEM rack, b) I can use dry bag insert (they are included with the GL bag)  since I like the convenience of just popping them out when I arrive at my destination, and c) have good capacity.

I currently run Wolfman enduro bags on my KLR with no racks- and yes I have scorched them and my sidepanel by not running a siderack of any kind.  The Wolfman's could be any option with my new T7- but they dont have much capacity.

Open to any suggestions.

PS- I dont want to use the Mosko or similar setups because I dont want to leave and panels or mounting hardware on the rack itself.

https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/siskiyou-panniers/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjk2gcTF90c

On 9/3/2020 at 11:35 PM, Tooph said:

Just got my adventure spec kit in amd mounted the giant loop great basin. Excellent

20200903_140518_HDR.jpg

20200903_134131_HDR.jpg

What does the passenger seat look like with the luggage on, could you still carry a pillion?

Thanks guys, but I actually meant hang over the side pannier style soft bags- not ones that mount on the seat or a tail pack style.  Your pics look like good set ups, and I will likely do something like that to augment the saddle style bags.

I am hoping that someone is running a set on our bikes something like this pic, with the OEM side racks like mine....and they could give me some insights.

giant loop on bike bags.jpg

I have attached my kriega side bags to my crash bars.  With this the center of gravity of the bike is also low.  I have my camping gear in the rollbag on the back.  (kriega is 2x12L and rollbag 50L)

Nick 

IMG_20200905_095728.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, alistair said:

What does the passenger seat look like with the luggage on, could you still carry a pillion?

It's doable for a smaller kid or tiny adult but will not be comfortable. The bars sit about 2-1/2" above the seat and arent very wide. 

20200916_131326_HDR.jpg

20200916_131646_HDR.jpg

Do any of you guys that have bought the Tusk full rack know how much it weighs?

Edited by Simmons1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

On 9/16/2020 at 8:39 AM, NickT7 said:

I have attached my kriega side bags to my crash bars.  With this the center of gravity of the bike is also low.  I have my camping gear in the rollbag on the back.  (kriega is 2x12L and rollbag 50L)

Which crash bars to you have installed? Looking at all the different types it seems that the Yamaha ones would be good for attaching bags.

I've been doing some short trips with my duffel on the back, with some small panniers draped over the duffel. I like your idea of getting the panniers on the crash bars. The T7 is such a beautiful looking bike and narrow, that I think it would be sad to muck up it's beautiful esthetics with wide pannier racks and bags.

1 hour ago, YukonPete said:

Which crash bars to you have installed? Looking at all the different types it seems that the Yamaha ones would be good for attaching bags.

I've been doing some short trips with my duffel on the back, with some small panniers draped over the duffel. I like your idea of getting the panniers on the crash bars. The T7 is such a beautiful looking bike and narrow, that I think it would be sad to muck up it's beautiful esthetics with wide pannier racks and bags.

I have installed the sw motech crash bars.  This goes perfectly in combination with the kriega 12L bags.  I have the same as you, the lines of the T7 are so beautiful I don't want to ruin it with heavy side bars.  I saw on YouTube that Nick Sanders also did this and he said that this way you also keep the center of gravity nice and low.  I can confirm this!  Good luck!

I just fitted a set of Nelson-Rigg Sierra dry saddle bags onto the new Rally Raid soft pannier racks.  The racks are great and have a nice slim profile with plenty of cutouts for tie-down points.  Very sturdy as well.  The Nelson Rigg bags are great too, and quite a bargain for being under $200 USD.

Nelson-Rigg bags.jpg

RR-2.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 10:38 PM, dobbi said:

I've read this post from start to finish and there are inumerable points on which I will go away and have a little look.

I'm about to pick up my T7 which will be used mainly for work, needing a locked topbox but also for the odd big intercontinetal ride.

For such a narrow slight bike, adding width beyond the handlbars seems a traversty. I've also left a few scrapes down some other vehicles when riding with wide panniers and don't want that guilt!

Seems to me that soft panniers along with a givi top box and mounting plate I already have would keep the width down nicely. However there is the matter of security. I'd try to keep the value of stuff packed in side painners down, but someone stealing an easy to get to sleeping bag can really upset a trip.

In the past, I've used a paksafe exomesh, basically a wire bag to put a soft bag into mainly designed for backpackers to secure a rucksack, to secure luggage. However, the wire mesh is likely to have a bad impact on the bike's plastics, so a frame would be needed. I like the look of a number of home made I've seen on here.

Paksafe's smallest size is 55L which is way too big for the 30L max I want to carry on each side. Has anyone got any good ideas on securing soft luggage which is of the small variety?

Cheers Dave

I understand your concern re theft, but in all my years travelling on the bike,  Ireland,  Europe,  and a bit in Central America,  I have never had anything nicked...but better safe than sorry I guess!. It seems to me that once you add frames to support soft luggage there's a big sacrifice in width...the throw over panniers from Mosko Moto or Kriega solve that! Cheers,  Steve 

I've had stuff stolen off my bike in Africa, and it really made by trip problematic. Theft is rarely a problem, I agree but it is improtant to ensure it is not likely. When stuff gets stolen your whole trip turns from a fantasitic  adventure to more like a survival expedition and it really spoils things.

I want to park my bike wherever and wander off for a couple of hours without any worry. That, to me, is really good bike travel. Hard luggage is great for that, soft luggage less so. I'm trying to find a balance!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dobbi said:

I've had stuff stolen off my bike in Africa, and it really made by trip problematic. Theft is rarely a problem, I agree but it is improtant to ensure it is not likely. When stuff gets stolen your whole trip turns from a fantasitic  adventure to more like a survival expedition and it really spoils things.

I want to park my bike wherever and wander off for a couple of hours without any worry. That, to me, is really good bike travel. Hard luggage is great for that, soft luggage less so. I'm trying to find a balance!

I rented an apartment in central Dakar for a month and flew back to the UK for a couple of weeks. The bike was left parked outside the apartment block, next to the street, and near the entrance where there was a guard. But he was asleep every night. I'd moved my gear into the apartment but the bike and (hard) panniers weren't tampered with while I was away. 

In fact, the 3 years I spent riding around Africa, I had no trouble at all with the bike and hard panniers. Just the occasional pick-pocket in a couple of cities. 

DSC00883.thumb.JPG.1f7969c1a86c6d7c67140c305d218e57.JPG

• Like 2