Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Luggage options

Rich TT

Wanted a fast way of hanging my Kriega US-bags, so I came up with this.

Some threaded bar, a pair of bushings and a piece of aluminum pipe as carrying handle

bag01.thumb.jpg.208a53c2a60e99b2889c08a8fa39c8a2.jpg

A pair of hooks mounted to the luggage rack

bag02.thumb.jpg.8b01efc880413ca7e8ff99751f7b94c4.jpg

Then it's just a matter of hanging the bags. Have some ROK straps mounted as well on the carrying handle that runs on the back side of the luggage rack.

bag03.thumb.jpg.9ec50ad09ced2f21c36b129a76db0084.jpg

Fasten the straps and et voilà, mounting & unmounting the bags just takes secondsbag04.thumb.jpg.b4e11873e12b5309ccb5a15284eec1a8.jpg

Still very much a work in progress, but quite pleased so far. Will probably run another pair of straps to the luggage rack just in case and the hooks needs to be beefier for heavier loads.

Edited by FinTen
  • Like 5

These Extreme saddle bags work well, each bag 20ltr , no rack needed

Just through over the bike (l didn’t need to adjust the adjoining buckles)

the rear attachment was fiddly as my bike is fitted with Yams tail tidy

but was still secure, I fitted 2 stainless lifting eyelets for easy attachment of the forward straps. Both bags have a permanent bottle holder on the under side perfect for chain lube,fuel bottles or my personal favourite wine bottle. If camping I use a dry bag for tent and bed roll attached with Rok straps to the loops on top. Great bags good value from Adventure ware house.

CA4069FB-B5EA-4E65-9A51-DB672CD81C86.jpeg

8CEC4413-D49C-452A-A2D9-698F742EC953.jpeg

CD9F84C5-2E55-4DD3-9A26-8C1D14DDA86E.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a few different setups, but settled on a pair of saddlebags from Giant Loop. 12L is the perfect size for the stuff I’d like to bring on a day’s ride.

Mojavi-2020-Straight-Black-web.jpg

MoJavi Saddlebag motorcycle soft luggage for dirt bike, dual sport, enduro, trail bike, rally racing, off-road racing tools tail bag

1DC3FD8F-8A90-4369-AEAE-6C5AA0D4A5A7.jpeg

• Like 2

Fitted some touratech frames and upper grab handles for the Adventure spec Magadans which will put on soonish. Trying to keep the weight low ish.

2F7CD60E-0BE6-4EB6-A4F8-D6908872466E.jpeg

4A192D37-A979-4C46-9FAB-ED1F0339E374.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 8:51 PM, qInvention said:

I bought the Adventure Set by SW Motech. 

I find it's excellent quality, but have to admit it's not yet trail tested as i finished fitting it yesterday.

The brackets for the side cases can be removed in 5 seconds if they're not needed. 

The adventure set features three cases and extension bags for the side cases.Oh 

IMG_20200125_1548015_1.jpg

Hi, I am also looking at this setup using the SW Motech pannier rack. Two questions please.

1 What is the total width of the bike with just the pannier rack (no panniers)? 

2. What is total width with the panniers on using the adapter plates? 

Many thanks 

On 10/4/2020 at 12:45 PM, rattler said:

Tried a few different setups, but settled on a pair of saddlebags from Giant Loop. 12L is the perfect size for the stuff I’d like to bring on a day’s ride.

Mojavi-2020-Straight-Black-web.jpg

MoJavi Saddlebag motorcycle soft luggage for dirt bike, dual sport, enduro, trail bike, rally racing, off-road racing tools tail bag

1DC3FD8F-8A90-4369-AEAE-6C5AA0D4A5A7.jpeg

I’m curious how this straps to the bike? I can see the straps on the lower side but am curious on anything on the top side? 

Also do you have it resting on the side panels? Any concern with panel damage? Thanks. 

It comes with a strap with two hooks I believe they sell vinyl film to protect the plastics but I didn’t bother. 

9E8837F1-C516-42D7-9F55-8FAD5E5E9026.jpeg

On 5/18/2020 at 4:04 PM, Great Escape said:

Just fitted the OEM mono seat as it provides a good base for my ancient but excellent Kriega tail pack.  On a long trip I empty the tail pack and chuck my throw over panniers over the top...works well for me.  My panniers are pretty knackered now so may get either the Kriega OS or maybe Mosko moto reckless 40. Cheers,  Steve 

20200518_154303.jpg

20200518_154314.jpg

20200518_154344.jpg

@Great Escape - is this pillion seat rack lighter than the seat itself? Could you fit a few tools under this seat rack? Cheers

On 6/13/2020 at 5:35 PM, Matth said:

Currently have the Adventure pack fitted as that what it came with and some pannier protectors fitted, will use the original frames and fit some magadan soft panniers as extremely good and very strong. About £450 all in. 

Ive attached some pics of the Magadans on my GS

BE0984AB-7CA4-494A-8C2E-436C2DD25817.jpeg

28232771-D621-42F7-A2AE-99610512A13D.jpeg

How wide is the back of the bike with the OEM rack and OEM panniers? 

Are you happy with this set up? Cheers 

2 hours ago, Treps said:

@Great Escape - is this pillion seat rack lighter than the seat itself? Could you fit a few tools under this seat rack? Cheers

I'm not sure about the weight of the rack...it feels pretty light.  And there is a bit more room underneath for stuff.  Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I haven't read all 13 pages of this thread, so this may have been covered already.  Unfortunately,  the plan to run my Mosko R40 bags on my T7 didn't get very far. After throwing them over the seat it's very evident that the R40 was designed for a narrow dual sport vs the wider seat and girth of an ADV.  Pics I've seen of the R80 appear to be a good fit, but unless the newer version of the R40 allows for a wider center section, these aren't going to work very well.

20200903_160603.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 10/18/2020 at 10:28 PM, Treps said:

Hi, I am also looking at this setup using the SW Motech pannier rack. Two questions please.

1 What is the total width of the bike with just the pannier rack (no panniers)? 

2. What is total width with the panniers on using the adapter plates? 

Many thanks 

Hi!

Without panniers, the bike is 60cm wide.

With panniers, it is 115cm. I have 45L panniers, you can also get them in 35L. Those are less wide, you can see dimensions on the SW Motech website. 

My panniers are about 29cm wide.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, qInvention said:

Hi!

Without panniers, the bike is 60cm wide.

With panniers, it is 115cm. I have 45L panniers, you can also get them in 35L. Those are less wide, you can see dimensions on the SW Motech website. 

My panniers are about 29cm wide.

Thanks. Very helpful. I like the setup. I am also trying to stay as close as possible to 91 cm as per the handlebars width, or max 100cm ish. Not easy... 

11 minutes ago, Treps said:

Thanks. Very helpful. I like the setup. I am also trying to stay as close as possible to 91 cm as per the handlebars width, or max 100cm ish. Not easy... 

The 37L panniers seem to be 23cm wide. That would still give you around 105cm in total... not easy, I agree. 

I sometimes think my setup is too wide. Lots of space to bring along useless stuff 🤔 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 8:13 PM, łorsoł said:

Commuter... 🙂

spacer.png

TETer... 🙃

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looking good!!!

I'm worried they wont cope with hard trails and fast pace. I dont plan to use racks but mount it directly to the bike. My concern is the panniers might move too much with a risk of loosening and falling under intense offroading.

Any advice or views are very welcome :(

PS: Im actually considering these vs Kriega's specific mount for T7. hard to decide....

On 8/12/2020 at 9:20 AM, Nige T said:

Hi everyone

I took the plunge and bought the yamaha rear rack which attaches to the original explorer pack side pannier rails. 

Because it already is set up with the monokey plate you have no additional cost of buying an adaptor plate. 

However I went for the Givi 42l Trekker Outback top box which match the original yamaha explorer panniers. Saved £128 on the top box and £80 because no base plate. 

Ebay NativeVikking in UK sell all the Givi range and the top box was only £232.00

Came with a key and lock already fitted so save another £25.00 not having to buy yamaha key set. 

Happy safe riding to all. 

IMG_20200812_111801_compress50.jpg

IMG_20200812_111921_compress55.jpg

IMG_20200810_141009_compress26.jpg

Do you know how long the spacers are on the top rack where it mounts to the sub frame?  I’m trying to figure out if it will work with the Outback Mototrek side racks.  It doesn’t look like anything would interfere with the side racks, if the top rack spacers aren’t too long or short.

• Like 1

Hi

I have taken a couple of photos for you with a ruler for you. The start of the measurement is against the plastics and not from the frame though. 

Hope it helps. 

Nige

IMG_20201027_115154_compress92.jpg

IMG_20201027_115135_compress81.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 2:13 PM, łorsoł said:

Commuter... 🙂

spacer.png

TETer... 🙃

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

What size Blizzard and Tornado bags are these? do the Blizzards feel secure mounted to the AS side plates?

I already have the same base pack for commuting and really like enduristans quality. Been thinking about going with the same setup. 

Thanks!

16 hours ago, Teambeer said:

Do you know how long the spacers are on the top rack where it mounts to the sub frame?  I’m trying to figure out if it will work with the Outback Mototrek side racks.  It doesn’t look like anything would interfere with the side racks, if the top rack spacers aren’t too long or short.

Interested in what your findings tell you as I am also considering the same set up: Givi rear rack, OM pannier rack. Cheers 

8 hours ago, Nige T said:

Hi

I have taken a couple of photos for you with a ruler for you. The start of the measurement is against the plastics and not from the frame though. 

Hope it helps. 

Nige

IMG_20201027_115154_compress92.jpg

IMG_20201027_115135_compress81.jpg

That’s perfect, thanks!

I don’t think it will work with the OM side racks.  The attachment point with the OM top rack is only 1 1/2 inches and the OEM rack is 2 1/2 inches.  I think that would create issues with the front attachment to the passenger peg mounts and the width of the rear brace, as it would be 2 inches wider.

I bought a Givi Monokey plate and mounted it to the OM plate.  Having the extra plate bugs me, but mounting to Givi plate directly to the OM rear rack is a little tricky without blocking seat removal.  I’m trying to come up with a mounting plate that will let me move the plate back far enough and use the three existing mounting holes on the plate.

490AB90F-3071-4048-B6B8-125077225BDE.jpeg

92135756-D1E1-41C1-9285-B38E1E9C52AC.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 4:44 PM, Canomball said:

Hi,

I have instaled GIVI SR 2145, and i have made a support wiht 4mm aluminium

Soporte1.jpg

This is SR 2135, not 2145 (which is the lateral pannier rack).

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 7:43 AM, DT675 said:

I’m curious how this straps to the bike? I can see the straps on the lower side but am curious on anything on the top side? 

Also do you have it resting on the side panels? Any concern with panel damage? Thanks. 

The sand gets in between the bag and the side panels and the side panels will be damaged.

You can protect the panels with 3M tape or something similar.

But this is an adventure bike and it's supposed to have scratches and bruises.

• Like 1

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced