Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Luggage options

Rich TT

3 hours ago, OK185 said:

Are you happy with the RideADV racks? Do you maybe have a picture from the rear with the luggage on? Thanks 👍

I also want to buy these and get them shipped to Europe because i'm sick of too small or too wide racks for this bike.

It will be expensive but they look like they are worth it. 😀

Please post some pics of this setup, it is basically 1:1 what I want to do. Nice sapcious side luggage and the slim racks to keep all the weight down low. 👍

Should have that done by the weekend and will post pics for sure.  I too did a LOT of research and the RideADV guys gave a great explanation on video comparing a number of racks and why they made their own.  The Turkana gear is really good quality.  I bought just before the launch of the product line.  Can't wait for my first trip out.  

3 hours ago, OK185 said:

Are you happy with the RideADV racks? Do you maybe have a picture from the rear with the luggage on? Thanks 👍

I also want to buy these and get them shipped to Europe because i'm sick of too small or too wide racks for this bike.

Yeah bit expensive, but they are great. Here's a couple of pics. I also have stegz pegz mounted. I cant stand these ones that hang out wide. Plus i also carry a rotopax on one side for extra fuel.

20210115_021019712_iOS.thumb.jpg.2880a80471b510bfc0b8d3cd35b7b2fa.jpg20210524_010916237_iOS.thumb.jpg.1a1e778b69c467b7b3e3a55a467c7c53.jpg

• Like 1

Hi. Finally got all the bags I ordered.

IMG_20210808_125347.thumb.jpg.a39b50af055f5258bdc8e1d4689fc177.jpg

IMG_20210808_125408.thumb.jpg.81fc844ad9087262ee83b1fa1ae718db.jpg

IMG_20210808_125218.thumb.jpg.20d1d8753bd3c49df16ff3fe29b8b870.jpg

IMG_20210808_125305.thumb.jpg.68db5b104a99c4afd8aa63ce07fbdaac.jpg

Lonerider Overlander 30l. Can be mounted to the front or all the way back on the top rack. Along or a cross the bike. And has straps to carry as a backpack.

2x Lonerider 6l crashbar bags. Perfect to fit toolroll, tubes, air pump, ...

2x Kriega OS-18. for all the camping gear.

Everything is mounted over SW-Motech top rack and RallyRaid Soft luggage racks.

Still need to find a heat shield for the exhaust.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 12:45 PM, OK185 said:

Please post some pics of this setup, it is basically 1:1 what I want to do. Nice sapcious side luggage and the slim racks to keep all the weight down low. 👍

On 3/13/2021 at 6:11 PM, Quolet said:

Here is “my” solution... 30lt each, rackless. Enduristan 
I just removed the rear rack too

B4F1B4AD-0718-4D82-8D76-77749B54C3D2.jpeg

I have the same setup. Already on the first trip the luggage made scratches on the panels. Do you have the same problem or have you made any changes to avoid this?

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2021 at 6:38 AM, Lupan said:

There they are, and i can carry 2.5 liters per bag...

IMG-20210416-WA0094.jpeg

IMG-20210416-WA0077.jpeg

IMG-20210416-WA0079.jpeg

IMG-20210416-WA0108.jpeg

IMG-20210416-WA0089.jpeg

IMG-20210416-WA0081.jpeg

Did you end up  using these? I've got same bags &find them awesome on other bike....what racks did you use?

Question for anyone with ADV-Spec side racks and rackless luggage setups such as the Kriega OS-Base setup. Are you using the OS-Base over top of the side racks, or just mounting the bags directly to the racks?

3 hours ago, Camstyn said:

Question for anyone with ADV-Spec side racks and rackless luggage setups such as the Kriega OS-Base setup. Are you using the OS-Base over top of the side racks, or just mounting the bags directly to the racks?

I've got my OS-Base mounted over the AS racks.  I wouldn't do it any other way at this point.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toei said:

I've got my OS-Base mounted over the AS racks.  I wouldn't do it any other way at this point.  

Do you use the universal base or the T700 specific base? If it’s the T700 base, the racks don’t cause any issue with the short length straps to the footpeg mounts?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Camstyn said:

Do you use the universal base or the T700 specific base? If it’s the T700 base, the racks don’t cause any issue with the short length straps to the footpeg mounts?

Universal.  Chose it for the reason you mention, as well as just general flexibility.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Toei said:

Universal.  Chose it for the reason you mention, as well as just general flexibility.  

Do the racks seem like they would require any extra length on the front straps in question than without? I’d like to get the T7 specific base for the best securement but don’t know if the racks would make it incompatible.

Edited by Camstyn

13 minutes ago, Camstyn said:

Do the racks seem like they would require any extra length on the front straps in question than without? I’d like to get the T7 specific base for the best securement but don’t know if the racks would make it incompatible.

Possibly yes but I couldn't say for certain.  For me the T7-specific one has nothing but disadvantages because it's only designed to fit on a bone-stock bike, and there are no real advantages that I can see.  

I integrated my setup with a rear rack, and I removed the foot pegs as well.  There's no way I could have achieved my plan with the T7 base.  After dialing everything in it still feels like it was made for the T7.   Just took some quick photos.  

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 6:17 AM, Toei said:

Possibly yes but I couldn't say for certain.  For me the T7-specific one has nothing but disadvantages because it's only designed to fit on a bone-stock bike, and there are no real advantages that I can see.  

I integrated my setup with a rear rack, and I removed the foot pegs as well.  There's no way I could have achieved my plan with the T7 base.  After dialing everything in it still feels like it was made for the T7.   Just took some quick photos.  

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

Hi Toei,

Really like your setup, soft & hard.

May I ask: what make is your rear rack? seems to go well with the AS side racks.

Also, I would like to be able to secure the kriega's to the bike, for some piece of mind. Could you see that done somehow?

57 minutes ago, Pilomajajo said:

Hi Toei,

Really like your setup, soft & hard.

May I ask: what make is your rear rack? seems to go well with the AS side racks.

Also, I would like to be able to secure the kriega's to the bike, for some piece of mind. Could you see that done somehow?

The rack is the B&B Off-road rear compact tail rack + luggage plate, from Australia.  I had some custom spacers made for the cleanest integration with the AS side racks.  

I'm not entirely clear on your second question.  The Kriega OS Base secures to the bike (front and rear straps), and the bags strap to the base.  It's a proven system that's been around for years.  In my case the rear straps are secured to the rear rack, so I guess that's the one slight variation.  

33 minutes ago, Toei said:

The rack is the B&B Off-road rear compact tail rack + luggage plate, from Australia.  I had some custom spacers made for the cleanest integration with the AS side racks.  

I'm not entirely clear on your second question.  The Kriega OS Base secures to the bike (front and rear straps), and the bags strap to the base.  It's a proven system that's been around for years.  In my case the rear straps are secured to the rear rack, so I guess that's the one slight variation.  

Thank you so much for the info on the rack.

I realise I should have been more specific with my second question. I'm looking for an anti-theft solution against an opportunist thief. To prevent the side bags to betaken off or accesed all to easily. Kriega offers steelcore security straps; I'm wondering wether they could be fitted to your setup to provide what I envision. 

Or maybe someone has an even better idea how to accomplish this.

33 minutes ago, Pilomajajo said:

Thank you so much for the info on the rack.

I realise I should have been more specific with my second question. I'm looking for an anti-theft solution against an opportunist thief. To prevent the side bags to betaken off or accesed all to easily. Kriega offers steelcore security straps; I'm wondering wether they could be fitted to your setup to provide what I envision. 

Or maybe someone has an even better idea how to accomplish this.

Oh I see.  The same thought crossed my mind but I didn't see a good solution.  I doubt the Kriega steel core strap would thread through the loops on the OS-12 bags.  Even if it could the loops could be easily cut.  So I just make sure I have my higher-value stuff locked in the top box.  

4 hours ago, Toei said:

Oh I see.  The same thought crossed my mind but I didn't see a good solution.  I doubt the Kriega steel core strap would thread through the loops on the OS-12 bags.  Even if it could the loops could be easily cut.  So I just make sure I have my higher-value stuff locked in the top box.  

I was thinking along the lines of looping the straps around the bags / base and behind the AS rack and cinching (? if that is the correct word..) down really tight.  Perhaps the base can even be modified to enable threading through. Or is that wishfull thinking?

btw: I assume the custom spacers are two backward ones? Do the ones that come with AS rack need to be shortened and is there a need foor longer blods?

Sorry about all these questions. 

1 hour ago, Pilomajajo said:

I was thinking along the lines of looping the straps around the bags / base and behind the AS rack and cinching (? if that is the correct word..) down really tight.  Perhaps the base can even be modified to enable threading through. Or is that wishfull thinking?

btw: I assume the custom spacers are two backward ones? Do the ones that come with AS rack need to be shortened and is there a need foor longer blods?

Sorry about all these questions. 

Perhaps you could do that with the strap.  But at that point you’ve made your luggage more of a visual target - “there must be something valuable in there!”   A thief could just open the bags and remove the contents.  Once the contents are removed I imagine it would be easy to pull the bags out of your security straps.

Lack of security is the one big trade off with soft panniers that I accept at this point.  I wanted the lighter weight for off-road.  I leave the top box at home for those trips. 

The front of the B&B rack is sandwiched between two spacers, with the AS racks on the outside.  It should be feasible to cut the rear spacers included with the AS rack to accomplish the same thing.   I also needed custom spacers to delete the foot pegs, as shown in the photo above.  

Edited by Toei

On 8/2/2021 at 11:58 PM, wncrider said:

I’m not sure why soft luggage is not considered worthy of a RTW trip. Especially the sturdy, removable Bumot stuff. I’m not going RTW but I wouldn’t change my current setup much if I was. 

Who said that? The majority of rtw riders that I follow always end up with soft luggage, even after many of them starting with tin boxes. 
if a thief wants to cut soft luggage, they won’t mind prising hard luggage open. I have kriega os32/22 on outback Mototrek asymmetrical pannier frames with a Lone Rider Overlander 48 on top. All strapped down with steel ore straps. Set up for multi month travel. 

• Like 1

I should add on the spacer issue:  the most obvious solution is to use the spacers that come with the B&B rack, then you would just need to add something outside the B&B rack to space off the AS racks.  I saw one member here used a stack of a few washers on each side (that install inspired mine).

However, I found the main B&B spacers to be dodgy quality so I replaced them all.  I also sized my new spacers differently from the B&B ones (on the front anyway) for a better fit on my bike.  The B&B front spacers were too short, the rack would have bent to fit.  

Unlike the spacers, the actual B&B racks are very high quality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toei said:

I should add on the spacer issue:  the most obvious solution is to use the spacers that come with the B&B rack, then you would just need to add something outside the B&B rack to space off the AS racks.  I saw one member here used a stack of a few washers on each side (that install inspired mine).

However, I found the main B&B spacers to be dodgy quality so I replaced them all.  I also sized my new spacers differently from the B&B ones (on the front anyway) for a better fit on my bike.  The B&B front spacers were too short, the rack would have bent to fit.  

Unlike the spacers, the actual B&B racks are very high quality.

Thanks for all the useful info! Really appreciated. I'm quite convinced now on the AS/B&B combo; and Kriega option is definitely in the top 2. The other being Mosko.   

14 hours ago, Michael B said:

Who said that? The majority of rtw riders that I follow always end up with soft luggage, even after many of them starting with tin boxes. 
if a thief wants to cut soft luggage, they won’t mind prising hard luggage open. I have kriega os32/22 on outback Mototrek asymmetrical pannier frames with a Lone Rider Overlander 48 on top. All strapped down with steel ore straps. Set up for multi month travel. 

The guy I was relying to said that when I referred to my own positive review of Bumot soft luggage. I agree that soft luggage would be the best for RTW travel.

• 4 weeks later...

Inexpensive solutuion for day trips and running around town - I just got my Tenere in late Sept 2021 after wating for months.  I need some luggage for running errands and for day trips, but I did not want to commit to spending a lot of money right now.  Lots of life changes happening and I am not sure exactly how much traveling I will do next year.  I have used Wolfman, Kriega, Mosko, and Enduristan products in the past with varying degrees of success.  Right now I just need something to carry enough for a day trip or when running errands in town.  I found a Chinese company on Amazon that makes some nice bags that I use on my bicycles called Rhinowalk.  I ended up ordering a 10 L  ($33) and a 30 L ($48) bag from amazon and bought the Kriega Tank adapter for $35.  The Rhinowalk bags are a Kriega US copy and they work fine for their intended purpose.  I can use one or both bags.  The 10 L can be used as a Tank bag (with the Kriega adapter), alone on the back, or also strapped on to the 30 L if needed.  I would not travel internationally with these bags, but they are useful and practical for me now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HVNZKPF?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

PXL_20211015_205733667.jpg

PXL_20211015_205750083.jpg

Edited by Frances
Added photos
  • Like 3