Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Luggage options

Rich TT

1 hour ago, ninot7 said:

Hey all, World Raid owner hre got it last week and been in a luggage option nightmare!

I have 2 x Kriega OS 18 bags without base. id like to mount them on a side rack only (without top/rear rack) to retain pillion space, and to stick a drybag across seat over the kriegas when touring. really love the idea of the T7 specific base, but impractical for my needs.

I am looking at AS side rack (they still cant confirm fitment on WR) and R&G side racks.

Can anybody please tell me whether the OS 18s will fit on above side racks only (without top/rear rack)  and any problems with standard exhaust? RR racks are just too expensive vs the other 2. 

Any info/ pictures appreciated! 

Yes they do. I have them fitted sideways to Andy strapz soft luggage stays. One thing I did do though, was to use the cam straps to help support them over the seat. If you search on here, you’ll find my photos of my setup. Late Feb this year on this thread. @Alf Meister, @didierand me were using this set up. 🍺

Edited by Dougie

9 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Yes they do. I have them fitted sideways to Andy strapz soft luggage stays. One thing I did do though, was to use the cam straps to help support them over the seat. If you search on here, you’ll find my photos of my setup. Late Feb this year on this thread. @Alf Meister, @didierand me were using this set up. 🍺

Andy Strapz is a totally different rack though. Am thinking in terms of os 18 width and exhaust clearance. 

• Moderators

@HusafreakI too originally had ordered the AdvSpec Side racks a couple of years ago, but delays in shipping after waiting months, I went with Tusk hard cases.  Recently I installed RallyRaid side racks with Nelson-Riggs Hurricane soft bags and think I've found my off road camping setup.  After the post by @jdub53 showing his setup,  I was sold. 

Like you, I have the Camel-ADV Rally pipe and the RR side racks fit fine with spacers.

@ninot7 As noted above, I originally had ordered the AdvSpec racks, but ended up with the RallyRaid side racks. I can't help you with WR fitment advice, but regarding your comment about the cost difference,  current US pricing has the RR at $226 and the AdvSpec at $241. 

20221116_151311.jpg

20221116_151359.jpg

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

4 hours ago, ninot7 said:

Andy Strapz is a totally different rack though. Am thinking in terms of os 18 width and exhaust clearance. 

Have a look at feb 9th. @Andre Romano showed r&g. We had different racks but same set up. OS18s, mounted sideways. The exhaust is clear. And the top is even with the seat. That’s what I wanted like you, so you can put a roll bag across. The rear of the teneres should be identical, so either of the racks should fit. 

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Have a look at feb 9th. @Andre Romano showed r&g. We had different racks but same set up. OS18s, mounted sideways. The exhaust is clear. And the top is even with the seat. That’s what I wanted like you, so you can put a roll bag across. The rear of the teneres should be identical, so either of the racks should fit. 

cheers for that. However, on the Feb post, one of the straps loops around the SW Motech rear rack, abs that’s what i havent got, don’t want to have. Been raiding all the groups and forums, i think the most suited would be the Rally Raid, although it’s noticeably more expensive than either Adv spec (who actually told me it wont fit the World Raid) or the R&G. 

2 hours ago, ninot7 said:

cheers for that. However, on the Feb post, one of the straps loops around the SW Motech rear rack, abs that’s what i havent got, don’t want to have. Been raiding all the groups and forums, i think the most suited would be the Rally Raid, although it’s noticeably more expensive than either Adv spec (who actually told me it wont fit the World Raid) or the R&G. 

Luggage is definitely the biggest discussion on here. That or screens  😂. Took me over a year of looking for racks, and several bags to decide on my set up. Good luck on the quest. 😁🍺

• Like 2

Thanks AZJW. The Rally Raid may be the solution then. Glad to see the soft luggage side racks fit well with the  Camel ADV Rally pipe. The thing holding me back on those was the bars for the rear rack do not look like they can be use as grab bars to lift the bike, but it is a little hard to tell. Do you have the Rally Raid rear rack too? Can you  comment on that?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Husafreak said:

Thanks AZJW. The Rally Raid may be the solution then. Glad to see the soft luggage side racks fit well with the  Camel ADV Rally pipe. The thing holding me back on those was the bars for the rear rack do not look like they can be use as grab bars to lift the bike, but it is a little hard to tell. Do you have the Rally Raid rear rack too? Can you  comment on that?

Yes, I also have the RallyRaid rear rack. No, the side bars won't work for lifting the bike, way too close to the body work for that.  The rear rack does have side and rear tabs to get a point to lift from.  Not as good as grabbing a tube, but it would probably work in a pinch.  

After taking a second look at it, the rear of the side racks look to be a good hand hold.  I can't vouch for the strength of those as I haven't dropped the big girl since installing those racks. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

AZJW another question for you. I ordered the RR rear rack and side plates and asked them if they had spacers for this install. John from RR wrote me to say the side racks would not work with the Camel ADV high bend exhaust. I sent him your pictures and the  Camel ADV ad saying it would. Now John is asking me what spacers you used. I think he may be trying to put something together? If you could post pictures with the bags removed or post some spacer dimensions I will share your mod with RR and Camel ADV. Right now John is holding off on shipping my rack until I can convince him this will work. Thanks a ton in advance!

On 11/21/2022 at 10:29 AM, ninot7 said:

Hey all, World Raid owner hre got it last week and been in a luggage option nightmare!

I have 2 x Kriega OS 18 bags without base. id like to mount them on a side rack only (without top/rear rack) to retain pillion space, and to stick a drybag across seat over the kriegas when touring. really love the idea of the T7 specific base, but impractical for my needs.

I am looking at AS side rack (they still cant confirm fitment on WR) and R&G side racks.

Can anybody please tell me whether the OS 18s will fit on above side racks only (without top/rear rack)  and any problems with standard exhaust? RR racks are just too expensive vs the other 2. 

Any info/ pictures appreciated! 

Don't purchase the Adventure Spec for the World Raid model.

I did and I had to return them back.

Without the rear footpegs they hit the side panels. On the other side is much worst and visible the problem but I didn't take a photo...

Even Adv Spec confirmed it:

"The racks are not listed to fit the World Raid, hence why they don't fit

We don't make any item that fits the World Raid.
"

I found second hand the Rally Raid, otherwise I would have bought these. They state are compatible with the World Raid model.

GSR-OTR-T700-SW-OTR-Gepaeck-Seiten-Rack-

Soft pannier rack from OFF-THE-ROAD for the Yamaha Tenere 700 model range.   Universal side carrier solution for all of you who want to go…

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG-1082.jpg

Thanks. I saw your post on Facebook. I have since gone for the Kriega OS T7 base and very happy with it. Waiting for paint protection from Crispy Designs. Hope they’ll refund you the adv specs. 
R&G and Crispy designs confirmed that their products and racks fit the WR no problem so am not sure or convinced at this stage. 

@ninot7 thanks, actually I dispatched them yesterday to Adv Spec.
Luckily there were no marks on the bolt holes neither in the attachment parts, so after sending them photos they accepted them back.

Their service is great, but is very unfortunate they don't fit.

I had soft luggage on my previous motorcycle (husqvarna 701) and after seeing the scratches and marks on the side panels I don't intend to mount them on the WR without any luggage racks.

I understand the vinyl sticker protection concept but I am not a believer. The plastics of Tenere are not flexible at all, are not like KTM's.  Looks very risky to me that in a potential fall the luggage might break the plastics.

Yes that’s true re plastic damage. Then again i had an R1200gsa before and i bolted every single metal bit i came across to it and never used it properly. Hence i promised myself to keep the weight to bare necessities on this one. Back to basics baby and loving it. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Husafreak said:

AZJW another question for you. I ordered the RR rear rack and side plates and asked them if they had spacers for this install. John from RR wrote me to say the side racks would not work with the Camel ADV high bend exhaust. I sent him your pictures and the  Camel ADV ad saying it would. Now John is asking me what spacers you used. I think he may be trying to put something together? If you could post pictures with the bags removed or post some spacer dimensions I will share your mod with RR and Camel ADV. Right now John is holding off on shipping my rack until I can convince him this will work. Thanks a ton in advance!

@Husafreak If you put @username or quote a post,  then the person you're trying to get an answer from will be notified of your question.  Luckily it's a non riding day for me so I'm on the site quite a bit today and saw your post. 😉

As to John's answer, he's correct, as shipped alone ( no tail rack) the side racks will hit the Camel-ADV Rally pipe.   For clarity, I'm running the Camel Rally pipe, not the Enduro High Bend, which is currently missing from their website. 

My install included the RR TAIL RACK,  which has approximately 52mm (2") of spacing from the mounting point to where the side rack attaches. To that I added an additional 19mm (3/4") aluminum spacer ( that Cory @Camel ADV recommended) and used a 8m x90mm bolt to hold everything together.  The Camel Rally pipe has about 3mm ( 1/8") clearance from the side rack and it'll take quite a smack to get those to touch, but then I'll have bigger problems if that happens. 

As long as you shim the side racks out from the tail rack mounts, you'll be fine. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

20221130_144638.jpg.30937b17aa0dc57bb33c911521f872d1.jpg

Aluminum Spacer 3/4" OD x 3/8" ID x Many Lengths Round by Metal Spacers Online (3/4" Length, 5)

uxcell M8x90mm Flat Head Machine Screws Inner Hex Screw 304 Stainless Steel Fasteners Bolts 5Pcs https://a.co/d/fZRlyfQ

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Husafreak said:

Wow thanks for everything! I’ll share this with John at RR and buy with confidence 😉

I'm always happy to help Cory & John sell more product! 😉

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Husafreak said:

Heck yeah, this is my first from RR but I think I bought everything Cory makes for the T7.

Right there with ya, Camel-ADV is bombproof stuff.

• Like 1

I used the Enduristan Large Blizzard saddle bags and the minimalist Camel rack.   I don’t have any side racks and have no issues.   I put a waterproof Nelson Rigg duffle across the top of the saddle bags and across the seat.  

Seems to work and nothing moves around, on or off road.  
D387BF6A-3C9E-406B-AFFC-CBC255801CFB.jpeg.c278b60f401989927cd096ec64e404a7.jpeg

9AC77550-B791-4142-96B6-04BF691ECDDB.jpeg

Edited by Redneckj
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 4:20 PM, AZJW said:

@Husafreak If you put @username or quote a post,  then the person you're trying to get an answer from will be notified of your question.  Luckily it's a non riding day for me so I'm on the site quite a bit today and saw your post. 😉

As to John's answer, he's correct, as shipped alone ( no tail rack) the side racks will hit the Camel-ADV Rally pipe.   For clarity, I'm running the Camel Rally pipe, not the Enduro High Bend, which is currently missing from their website. 

My install included the RR TAIL RACK,  which has approximately 52mm (2") of spacing from the mounting point to where the side rack attaches. To that I added an additional 19mm (3/4") aluminum spacer ( that Cory @Camel ADV recommended) and used a 8m x90mm bolt to hold everything together.  The Camel Rally pipe has about 3mm ( 1/8") clearance from the side rack and it'll take quite a smack to get those to touch, but then I'll have bigger problems if that happens. 

As long as you shim the side racks out from the tail rack mounts, you'll be fine. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

20221130_144638.jpg.30937b17aa0dc57bb33c911521f872d1.jpg

Aluminum Spacer 3/4" OD x 3/8" ID x Many Lengths Round by Metal Spacers Online (3/4" Length, 5)

uxcell M8x90mm Flat Head Machine Screws Inner Hex Screw 304 Stainless Steel Fasteners Bolts 5Pcs https://a.co/d/fZRlyfQ

Hey thanks for the Amazon link here!  I was literally just about to make a post about any ideas folks might have on replacing my SW Motech SOLID steel side carrier spacers.  They are ridicuously heavy for what they are.  I believe I can find what I need to replace them in that link.

• Like 1

• Moderators

@DT675 Those spacers worked fine, but be advised they are a larger bore diameter than the 8mm needed.  The 3/8" ID is about 9.5mm, but it still works fine, it just isn't a precision fit.  Just wanted you to be aware.

• Like 1

@AZJW

Thanks for the links. I got my Rally Raid racks today, pretty sweet. I see what you mean about using the rear rack to lift the bike. It's too  close to the frame to hold it like a grab bar but there's enough stout metal to get a hold of now that it will help if/when I have to lift the bike. I used your Amazon links to get the hardware too, I like that the hardware will look good and work with the RR stuff as designed. Super!