Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lowering Via Soupys Adjustable Links

DuncMan

Question

Folks, I drive/ride/fly many different machines from bikes to cars to boats to tractors to microlights/ultralights to commercial aircraft. At the age of 18 I entered the military and my papers said I was 180cms tall or 6 foot exactly in old money. Forward wind 36 years and I'm down to 5'10". 😯 No idea where those two inches went, maybe G-Force compression but either way I'm now a short-ass. 😆 My T7 is fine and with the standard seat and Yamaha 18mm lowering link installed I'm flat footed but with the newly made and installed Grenadier Butt Guard I'm back where I started with my heels about 10mm off the floor but still with good control at a standstill. I'd prefer, however to be flat footed with a slight bend in the knee and to accomplish that I'd say the bike needs to lower maybe 1.5 inches. What I don't want to do is compromise the ride and turn the bike into something it's not. I also don't want to spend a fortune on this as I already have nearly £10k in the bike with the upgrades I've purchased thus far and times are fragile for those of us who are self employed. So I don't want the expense of new fork springs etc.. If I lower it further I'll probably go with a centre stand as I'd like to get one installed anyways and just remove the side stand.

So my question is: has anyone done this and what are your experiences with the ride, overall riding position etc..? I'd normally shy away from such a mod but because this bike will see mostly touring activity and very little off-road use I'm thinking I may be able to get away with it but would like some opinions from folks who've done this kind of mod before. The fact I just said "get away with it" already makes me want to cancel this post but I'd still be interested to hear the experiences of those who have. Many thanks in advance for your help and input.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spike4379 said:

hmm so I guess the most I can do on the rear is 30mm + get the seat shaved

First, understand how "sag" is set on this bike and do it.  Get this done first so you know how much you need to carve off the height.

I wouldn't worry about the forks.  Just set them up to the max and live with it.  15 mm is all I could get out of it.  I did and it works very well.  Word of caution - you must be precise on how you perform this task.  There's no room for sloppy adjustment here.  Fine measurements and alignment is required. 

You can alter the existing seat or buy a low seat like I did.  Between the seat and the 20 mm lowering link I was able to lower it by 2 inches or 40 mm.

If you need help or have a question, ask away.

• Thanks 1

Have you tried the Yamaha low seat?  Drops by one inch or 2.5 cm.  May be better than lowering the bike. 

Or if you could incorporate that chunk of fir into your underwear it may not be so thick.  It would make for a weird wedgie if your not careful, so maybe not the mod you want. 

• Haha 1

I don't understand the problem with a little heel lift.
For a Dutchy i'm also a shorty and with the stock height and the preload a bit stiffer than stock i also don't have two flat foots on the ground but mostly you have just one foot on the ground anyway.
The moments i need two foots i'm still okay with the toe's.
Just ride i while and see if it is really a problem or it's just between the ears.

• Like 1

I am a short woman, 5'4".  I did lower my Tenere 1.5 inches with the combination of the OEM 20mm lowering links and the OEM seat.  I coulpled this with raising the front forks in the triple tree by 15mm.  It enables me to barely touch now, whereas I could not touch a toe without moving side to side when the bike was stock height.  I did also buy the Soupy's lowering links, but I went with the OEM links for now becasue the guy I bought the seat from threw them in for free.  It works for me for now.  If I need to be able to touch more (I can barely reach to flick up the side stand now), I plan to use the Soupy's and combine it with shorter springs from HyperPro.  That will allow me to keep the geometry the same.  Otherwise if I lower the rear too much, the fork rake and handling can change.  I have Soupy's on my DR650 with shorter front springs and they work great.  Soupy's will allow you to lower a bike up to 4" I beleive, but I would not lower the Tenere by more than an inch in the rear without shortening the front with corresponding shorter front springs.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DuncMan said:

Folks, I drive/ride/fly many different machines from bikes to cars to boats to tractors to microlights/ultralights to commercial aircraft. At the age of 18 I entered the military and my papers said I was 180cms tall or 6 foot exactly in old money. Forward wind 36 years and I'm down to 5'10". 😯 No idea where those two inches went, maybe G-Force compression but either way I'm now a short-ass. 😆 My T7 is fine and with the standard seat and Yamaha 18mm lowering link installed I'm flat footed but with the newly made and installed Grenadier Butt Guard I'm back where I started with my heels about 10mm off the floor but still with good control at a standstill. I'd prefer, however to be flat footed with a slight bend in the knee and to accomplish that I'd say the bike needs to lower maybe 1.5 inches. What I don't want to do is compromise the ride and turn the bike into something it's not. I also don't want to spend a fortune on this as I already have nearly £10k in the bike with the upgrades I've purchased thus far and times are fragile for those of us who are self employed. So I don't want the expense of new fork springs etc.. If I lower it further I'll probably go with a centre stand as I'd like to get one installed anyways and just remove the side stand.

So my question is: has anyone done this and what are your experiences with the ride, overall riding position etc..? I'd normally shy away from such a mod but because this bike will see mostly touring activity and very little off-road use I'm thinking I may be able to get away with it but would like some opinions from folks who've done this kind of mod before. The fact I just said "get away with it" already makes me want to cancel this post but I'd still be interested to hear the experiences of those who have. Many thanks in advance for your help and input.

My experience with lowering the beast to be a little more sure footed and confident in the single tracks.

I do have one set of these left.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 8:03 AM, DuncMan said:

I put a Soupy's link on to lower the bike. Chose it because its an easy fix. And for adjustability. Adding 20 mm to the link length dropped the seat about 38 mm.  I dropped the front 15 / 20 mm sliding the fork tubes up in the clamps, to try and balance the two.

I'm not sure this is the ultimate solution. I haven't done a full set of testing, but the suspension geometry is definitely changed.  The rear feels softer, and it was already too soft. Not sure about cornering and braking yet. Or whoops and bad washboard roads.

Consider, a longer link allows the rear wheel to come up higher. Need to check if it can come high enough to contact the fender.

There are a couple other options. A spacer in the fork and shock can lower the bike. You'd do that in co-ordination with  upgrading springs and valving.

But before going to that effort, getting  a low seat should be first. The lowest seat you can ride in comfort. Every inch you can drop that, is an inch you don't have to take out of suspension travel and ground clearance.

BTW:  "What I don't want to do is compromise the ride and turn the bike into something it's not."   I have three bikes, all dual sports or dirt bikes.  I can't flat foot any of them. Don't feel like I need to. You can flat foot any Harley made, but the T7 isn't that kind of road bike.  If you lower the T7 to the point you can flat foot it . . . you will turn it into something its not.  Right?

:

• Like 2

On 10/20/2021 at 12:28 PM, Frances said:

I am a short woman, 5'4".  I did lower my Tenere 1.5 inches with the combination of the OEM 20mm lowering links and the OEM seat.  I coulpled this with raising the front forks in the triple tree by 15mm.  It enables me to barely touch now, whereas I could not touch a toe without moving side to side when the bike was stock height.  I did also buy the Soupy's lowering links, but I went with the OEM links for now becasue the guy I bought the seat from threw them in for free.  It works for me for now.  If I need to be able to touch more (I can barely reach to flick up the side stand now), I plan to use the Soupy's and combine it with shorter springs from HyperPro.  That will allow me to keep the geometry the same.  Otherwise if I lower the rear too much, the fork rake and handling can change.  I have Soupy's on my DR650 with shorter front springs and they work great.  Soupy's will allow you to lower a bike up to 4" I beleive, but I would not lower the Tenere by more than an inch in the rear without shortening the front with corresponding shorter front springs.

Kudos to you at your size taking on a T7 with its height and weight. 

That'd make me feel like I was on one of these.

277302077_girlandgunbus4.jpg.01735f7fa4996a4ab0f123857fa7ed85.jpg

:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2021 at 7:38 PM, one wheel drive said:

I put a Soupy's link on to lower the bike. Chose it because its an easy fix. And for adjustability. Adding 20 mm to the link length dropped the seat about 38 mm.  I dropped the front 15 / 20 mm sliding the fork tubes up in the clamps, to try and balance the two.

I'm not sure this is the ultimate solution. I haven't done a full set of testing, but the suspension geometry is definitely changed.  The rear feels softer, and it was already too soft. Not sure about cornering and braking yet. Or whoops and bad washboard roads.

Consider, a longer link allows the rear wheel to come up higher. Need to check if it can come high enough to contact the fender.

There are a couple other options. A spacer in the fork and shock can lower the bike. You'd do that in co-ordination with  upgrading springs and valving.

But before going to that effort, getting  a low seat should be first. The lowest seat you can ride in comfort. Every inch you can drop that, is an inch you don't have to take out of suspension travel and ground clearance.

BTW:  "What I don't want to do is compromise the ride and turn the bike into something it's not."   I have three bikes, all dual sports or dirt bikes.  I can't flat foot any of them. Don't feel like I need to. You can flat foot any Harley made, but the T7 isn't that kind of road bike.  If you lower the T7 to the point you can flat foot it . . . you will turn it into something its not.  Right?

:

Think you’re right. Have ordered a low seat and see how we get on with that. 👍

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 6:07 PM, Landshark said:

Have you tried the Yamaha low seat?  Drops by one inch or 2.5 cm.  May be better than lowering the bike. 

Or if you could incorporate that chunk of fir into your underwear it may not be so thick.  It would make for a weird wedgie if your not careful, so maybe not the mod you want. 

My butt disappeared by the age of 50 so that may not be the worst idea! 😆

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2021 at 8:28 PM, Frances said:

Cheers Frances. I’m going to try the low seat and hope that will suffice. 👍

• Like 1

I'm shorter than you(5'8" or 9") and had the dealer install the OEM lowering links, but it's still a bit tip toe. Add in uneven camber and it is a close call.

Main reason for swapping out the sheepie was this, however, replacing with cool covers still added 8mm or so.

I have a Yamaha low seat on the way, so reckon fromstock I will be -18mm (links) - 20mm (seat) + 8mm cool cover = 30mm, which should work perfectly.

The only thing I am wary of is not ground clearance (although I wouldn't go lower on the actual bike than 20mm), but knee position when seated.

It's experimental for sure...

1 hour ago, Burnsey said:

I'm shorter than you(5'8" or 9") and had the dealer install the OEM lowering links, but it's still a bit tip toe. Add in uneven camber and it is a close call.

Main reason for swapping out the sheepie was this, however, replacing with cool covers still added 8mm or so.

I have a Yamaha low seat on the way, so reckon fromstock I will be -18mm (links) - 20mm (seat) + 8mm cool cover = 30mm, which should work perfectly.

The only thing I am wary of is not ground clearance (although I wouldn't go lower on the actual bike than 20mm), but knee position when seated.

Yep, I seem to shrink each year nowadays so I'll soon catch you up! My low seat should arrive Friday so will be interesting to see how that works with the sheepie in place. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Burnsey said:

When is your seat due to arrive mate. Thought you ordered that a few days ago? I got a decent deal of £110 shipped DPD, brand new. Wondered if you’d bought from the same company as they had 10 and I bought the last one.

15 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

When is your seat due to arrive mate. Thought you ordered that a few days ago? I got a decent deal of £110 shipped DPD, brand new. Wondered if you’d bought from the same company as they had 10 and I bought the last one.

Bought eBay from HGB Motorcycles. They accepted an offer, so was a good buy, but dearer at £120 posted.

The odd thing is they are UK, showing as dispatched, but arriving 15th - who knows...

6 minutes ago, Burnsey said:

Bought eBay from HGB Motorcycles. They accepted an offer, so was a good buy, but dearer at £120 posted.

The odd thing is they are UK, showing as dispatched, but arriving 15th - who knows...

That's weird. That's who I purchased from. I spoke to them an hour ago and they were shipping mine tomorrow for delivery Friday. I offered £90 initially and they came back with £110, which I accepted. When I purchased the BIN listing was £120, hence my offer. What courier did they use to ship yours?

Edited by DuncMan

1 hour ago, DuncMan said:

That's weird. That's who I purchased from. I spoke to them an hour ago and they were shipping mine tomorrow for delivery Friday. I offered £90 initially and they came back with £110, which I accepted. When I purchased the BIN listing was £120, hence my offer. What courier did they use to ship yours?

Just left it to the eBay system, but now called and should have it for Friday.

Cheers mate!

Edited by Burnsey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Burnsey said:

Just left it to the eBay system, but now called and should have it for Friday.

Cheers mate!

Good stuff. As long as they don't send you my seat!! 😄

• Haha 1

My low seat is on and that’s sorted the height issue for me. I’m now flat footed evening either the Grenadier Butt Guard in place. Very cool. Cheers for the tips all!

• Like 2

Just saw that Altrider is offering a lowering kit for the T7 that drops it 30mm.  $60 US

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 6:38 AM, one wheel drive said:

This is something I need to know because I will be adding the soupys onto my bike How much longer do I make them than the original links? My plan is to add two inches, so do I literally add two inches because I don't understand how it translates or the ratio of length to height. I'm supposing that if 20mm = 38mm then its

10mm:19mm ratio right?

so for 50mm I would need 26mm 'ish (math in my head is hard)

Is that right or am I misunderstanding it?

I'm really worried about adjusting the front because if i drop 2 inches I need to drop the front by 1 inch at minimum, that don't look like i have an inch before I start clamping the taper

GOPR1015.JPG

13 minutes ago, Spike4379 said:

This is something I need to know because I will be adding the soupys onto my bike How much longer do I make them than the original links? My plan is to add two inches, so do I literally add two inches because I don't understand how it translates or the ratio of length to height. I'm supposing that if 20mm = 38mm then its

10mm:19mm ratio right?

so for 50mm I would need 26mm 'ish (math in my head is hard)

Is that right or am I misunderstanding it?

I'm really worried about adjusting the front because if i drop 2 inches I need to drop the front by 1 inch at minimum, that don't look like i have an inch before I start clamping the taper

GOPR1015.JPG

You might try something like this. Start with the bike at stock height. Sit on it and put some 1/2" ply bits under each foot. How many does it take to feel comfortable? For me 1" was close and  1.5" was more than I needed.

Before you do that, set your sag. Because cranking down on preload raises the seat.

Any seat height you can lose with a lower seat is distance you don't have to take out of suspension travel and ground clearance. Its millimeters you don't have to raise the fork tubes in the clamps. Its changes you don't have to make to geometry.

As I get it, the link ratio on the T7 is 2:1.   So to drop the rear  one inch, you'd increase the distance between the holes in the dog bone by half inch over stock.

Maybe try a little and see if you can live with it. The nice thing about the adjustable link is if you need more you can add it.

:

1 hour ago, one wheel drive said:

You might try something like this. Start with the bike at stock height. Sit on it and put some 1/2" ply bits under each foot. How many does it take to feel comfortable? For me 1" was close and  1.5" was more than I needed.

Before you do that, set your sag. Because cranking down on preload raises the seat.

Any seat height you can lose with a lower seat is distance you don't have to take out of suspension travel and ground clearance. Its millimeters you don't have to raise the fork tubes in the clamps. Its changes you don't have to make to geometry.

As I get it, the link ratio on the T7 is 2:1.   So to drop the rear  one inch, you'd increase the distance between the holes in the dog bone by half inch over stock.

Maybe try a little and see if you can live with it. The nice thing about the adjustable link is if you need more you can add it.

:

Dude that's a fantastic idea with the planks & 2:1 ratio thank you.

As for preload I have no idea what I'm gonna need for off road but right now I am sitting at a preload of 4/20 and its only just starting to feel bouncy for me so ill go back up a few clicks when I can do the rear linkage.

I think at the moment I'm a little overwhelmed and have overlooked simple, fantastic ideas like the wood. I will be getting the seat shaved down an inch too I think. I don't know how much I could take out and still be perfectly comfortable, my upholsterer friend could probably tell me

• Like 1

As far as the front forks are concerned, I could only move them up by 15 mm, that's it.  Any further and the caps will hit the cowling.  I am using 1" lowering links and a low (1" less) seat.  I'm 5' 7 and a 30" inseam on my toes.  This combo worked great and the bike fits me like a good shoe.  After the mods, I can't really plant both feet flat on the ground but one for sure and both if tiptoed slightly.  Way better!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Landshark said:

As far as the front forks are concerned, I could only move them up by 15 mm, that's it.  Any further and the caps will hit the cowling.  I am using 1" lowering links and a low (1" less) seat.  I'm 5' 7 and a 30" inseam on my toes.  This combo worked great and the bike fits me like a good shoe.  After the mods, I can't really plant both feet flat on the ground but one for sure and both if tiptoed slightly.  Way better!

hmm so I guess the most I can do on the rear is 30mm + get the seat shaved

Okay so I watched a video and unless someone posted it here before soupys themselves said this.

"-The ratio of ride height to lowering link length is approximately 3:1. That is, adjusting the length of the lowering link 1 inch will net an approximate ride height change of 3 inches."

So that's a handy thing for anyone looking for future reference.

Going by that do the geometry adjustments scale? They probably don't but I thought I would ask.

My idea is that if I adjust/ lengthen the lower linkage by 20mm i should add 10mm onto the forks adjustment, OR is the fork adjustment purely by seat height metric only?