Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Crash Report - Post up your crash damage!

Larson627

1 hour ago, Bartek said:

I keep hearing about bent exhaust hangers, but yet to see one... seems like some sort of hanger-o-fobia 😉

Ha! Or just a little pinch of upgrade justification. That's the schtick I gave my wife about the necessity of replacing a brand new exhaust on a brand new bike! Told her I would most certainly crash it, and I kept my word 😅

All that aside, I've seen more than a few posted here, and the damage to the swingarm is no easy fix. I can't say for sure but I think I would have seen one first hand if I hadn't cut mine off already! 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Bolt size is M6 x 20mm

Thanks for the specs! And thanks for helping others out with your leftovers; if I end up buying a box I'll do the same with mine! 👍

Edited by Larson627
  • Like 1

Oh, i see, but this is designed to do this to protect tubular frame struts... hence why it's made from softer material. Its not only easy to bend back, but when cracked it could be replaced / weld back on.

I was expecting to see bend frame struts, but to me this is normal and it confirms that bike was designed with proper engineering / material knowledge. Nothing wrong with this IMO.

Plus you can make it less prone to bend by fitting exhaust with better bracket design - for example my scorpion have bracket with couple of bent lines allowing to deform as well:

IMG_20210803_205101.jpg

Edited by Bartek
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Bartek said:

Oh, i see, but this is designed to do this to protect tubular frame struts... hence why it's made from softer material. Its not only easy to bend back, but when cracked it could be replaced / weld back on.

I was expecting to see bend frame struts, but to me this is normal and it confirms that bike was designed with proper engineering / material knowledge. Nothing wrong with this IMO.

Plus you can make it less prone to bend by fitting exhaust with better bracket design - for example my scorpion have bracket with couple of bent lines allowing to deform as well:

IMG_20210803_205101.jpg

Very valid! Same with the radiator shroud mount that is designed to collapse before it damages the radiator, hats off to the engineers with these bikes for sure. I guess my only concern there is if you can bend it back easily enough on the trail to avoid the swingarm damage.

Either way I am just:

A. Hard on equipment

B. Lying to myself that this can be a decent trail bike on the weekends by making it look more like a dirtbike, and

C. Drinking the CamelADV coolaid, every part I have bought from them has been brilliant as far as fit/finish, so no regrets there! 

• Haha 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Larson627 said:

Very valid! Same with the radiator shroud mount that is designed to collapse before it damages the radiator, hats off to the engineers with these bikes for sure. I guess my only concern there is if you can bend it back easily enough on the trail to avoid the swingarm damage.

Either way I am just:

A. Hard on equipment

B. Lying to myself that this can be a decent trail bike on the weekends by making it look more like a dirtbike, and

C. Drinking the CamelADV coolaid, every part I have bought from them has been brilliant as far as fit/finish, so no regrets there! 

I'm going with option "C".  🙂    I'm right there with ya!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 12/29/2021 at 12:31 PM, Bartek said:

I keep hearing about bent exhaust hangers, but yet to see one... seems like some sort of hanger-o-fobia 😉

I've never bent the hanger, but I've definitely bent the stock exhaust in more than once.  

• Moderators

My guess is the price of J.B. Weld stock went up after the T7 came on the market.  😉

• Haha 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

20,000km damage report. Trying my best to stay off asphalt. Ran a couple organized rallies. Here is a benchmark for you folks.

Totaled a set of Adventure Spec Crash Bars. Sheared off all Cyclops signals. Cracked both fairings. Badly bent front rim. Dented gas tank both sides. Broken fork guard. Bent mounting points behind side fairings, as referenced in a previous post in this thread. Broke plastic vented body panels under side tank panel - both sides. Multiple broken mounting tabs and guides on both the side fairings and rear tail piece. Bent rear brake pedal to unusable state. Bent OEM handlebars. Broken LH control cluster with missing signal button. Cracked throttle cable housing. Tons of fairing fasteners/hardware missing. Bent bar mounts badly. Broke both mirrors off, then a local rider was nice enough to give me his take offs - broke those suckers too. Bent exhaust hanger and re-straightened enough times to completely break off
(~20 times) - tack welded back on for now. Mega swingarm damage from not reacting the odd time to previous issue. Finally in the last picture you can see I have tweaked the entire cluster holding my RH footpeg. Hoping I can slip a bar on there and bend it all back straight or it is rubber mounted and/or hardware replacement solves it. Definitely forgetting something. 

After bending the handlebars I invested in a set of Protaper Evo Adventure low bars which turned out very poorly (too much rise and sweep) resulting in me not able to remount my Cycra handguards. This started a chain reaction of destroying all my controls through the remainder of last season. 

The R6 throttle tube mod is a ton of fun. 

Now I have all winter to think about what I have done and get the bike all ready to do it all over again next season. Cheers folks.

bam.jpg

IMG-6959.jpg

IMG-6960.jpg

IMG-6961.jpg

IMG-6966.jpg

IMG-6967.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• Moderators

@tenerecanada That report sets the bar fairly high, impressive the bike survived all that. How are you? All that damage surely came with a physical price! 

• Like 2

Here's my story!  2021 Flinders Classic, almost at the end of the first day of four, fell & broke ALL my ribs down my right side in a rocky dry river bed.  That was an 'early bath' as they say.  Something I've since remembered is I'm allowed to slow up, even stop and look at the best route through an obstacle.  Being originally from Yorkshire I was brought up in and around a strong trials bike riding area, and somewhere in my psychie I was opposed to putting a foot on the ground - hence I just tried riding through EVERYTHING without dabbing!  I now try and stop to assess the danger without gunning it as hard as I dare 😂

• Like 4

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

Hi,

I fell on the asphalt coming out of a roundabout. 20 km/h...

It had rained and the asphalt was wet and slippery.

The fall was violent with a slide of a few meters.

Thanks to Outback Motortek and thanks to my idea to wrap a rope around crash-bars !

16432736766280.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RIDER GUIDER said:

Here's my story!  2021 Flinders Classic, almost at the end of the first day of four, fell & broke ALL my ribs down my right side in a rocky dry river bed.  That was an 'early bath' as they say.  Something I've since remembered is I'm allowed to slow up, even stop and look at the best route through an obstacle.  Being originally from Yorkshire I was brought up in and around a strong trials bike riding area, and somewhere in my psychie I was opposed to putting a foot on the ground - hence I just tried riding through EVERYTHING without dabbing!  I now try and stop to assess the danger without gunning it as hard as I dare 😂

That's a good video you put together.  Too bad about the fall.  Would have been good to finish the whole ride but hey, sometimes your injuries will dictate differently and it soon becomes a life lesson.  Thanks for posting that.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 12:31 AM, RIDER GUIDER said:

Man, I wouldn't wish broken ribs on anyone. I broke two of them mountain biking a few years ago, and then rebroke them worse a couple weeks later trying to work when I should have been resting. After that I was just about incapacitated for several weeks. You sure learn new ways to do things like getting in and out of bed! 

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 3:55 AM, 365moto.eu said:

Hi,

I fell on the asphalt coming out of a roundabout. 20 km/h...

It had rained and the asphalt was wet and slippery.

The fall was violent with a slide of a few meters.

Thanks to Outback Motortek and thanks to my idea to wrap a rope around crash-bars !

16432736766280.jpg

I bought the Adventure Spec crash bars and I have to admit I wish I went with these. I am not super confident that the AS bars will hold up to my short sighted riding style. These look pretty damn tough! 

Yesterday i almost went down for the first time on the T7.
Classic mistake in loose sand, not looking far enough through the corner and not enough throttle. Everybody talks about the T7 being top heavy but compared to the Crosstourer it's like a enduro bike and also less than the XT660Z.

On 1/26/2022 at 6:59 PM, tenerecanada said:

20,000km damage report. Trying my best to stay off asphalt. Ran a couple organized rallies. Here is a benchmark for you folks.

Totaled a set of Adventure Spec Crash Bars. Sheared off all Cyclops signals. Cracked both fairings. Badly bent front rim. Dented gas tank both sides. Broken fork guard. Bent mounting points behind side fairings, as referenced in a previous post in this thread. Broke plastic vented body panels under side tank panel - both sides. Multiple broken mounting tabs and guides on both the side fairings and rear tail piece. Bent rear brake pedal to unusable state. Bent OEM handlebars. Broken LH control cluster with missing signal button. Cracked throttle cable housing. Tons of fairing fasteners/hardware missing. Bent bar mounts badly. Broke both mirrors off, then a local rider was nice enough to give me his take offs - broke those suckers too. Bent exhaust hanger and re-straightened enough times to completely break off
(~20 times) - tack welded back on for now. Mega swingarm damage from not reacting the odd time to previous issue. Finally in the last picture you can see I have tweaked the entire cluster holding my RH footpeg. Hoping I can slip a bar on there and bend it all back straight or it is rubber mounted and/or hardware replacement solves it. Definitely forgetting something. 

After bending the handlebars I invested in a set of Protaper Evo Adventure low bars which turned out very poorly (too much rise and sweep) resulting in me not able to remount my Cycra handguards. This started a chain reaction of destroying all my controls through the remainder of last season. 

The R6 throttle tube mod is a ton of fun. 

Now I have all winter to think about what I have done and get the bike all ready to do it all over again next season. Cheers folks.

Looks like a lot of superficial damage, but could the bike be ridden home on every occasion? That is the real test, especially for an adventure bike.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:45 AM, Larson627 said:

Man, I wouldn't wish broken ribs on anyone. I broke two of them mountain biking a few years ago, and then rebroke them worse a couple weeks later trying to work when I should have been resting. After that I was just about incapacitated for several weeks. You sure learn new ways to do things like getting in and out of bed! 

It's like a cattle prod isn't it?  Had to ring my wife to come home from work as I needed a pee and couldn't get out of bed 😅

• Like 1

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

• Moderators
On 1/26/2022 at 8:49 AM, AZJW said:

@tenerecanada That report sets the bar fairly high, impressive the bike survived all that. How are you? All that damage surely came with a physical price! 

I always head out with full protection so I faired well. The only off that got me was the one I wasn't able to jump clear away from the bike, a lowside where the bike came down right on my leg. Big bruise but nothing major.

On 1/29/2022 at 5:53 AM, TimeMachine said:

Looks like a lot of superficial damage, but could the bike be ridden home on every occasion? That is the real test, especially for an adventure bike.

Agreed. I drove away from a couple major offs at speed in the middle of an event and was extremely grateful to straighten the exhaust and ride on. The bike never left me stranded in spite of all the abuse.

• Like 3

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• 3 weeks later...

Spent some time on the ice last weekend, 10/10 fun, highly recommended!

YouTube Video incoming 😅

70B0535B-FB71-4E6B-9A95-978B4B20D8EC.jpeg

Edited by Larson627
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

I'm gona have to take back everything i have said about "hanger-o-fobia"... i have managed to successfully bend mine 🤣

IMG_20220319_151131.thumb.jpg.8948529932f483be1b995b7ddcf09aa5.jpg

But hanger itself its a less of a problem, as this could be bend back - exhaust thou...

IMG_20220319_151120.thumb.jpg.84ab43e1e4b73b7ec84c104379002a84.jpg

Heed crashbars did great job:

IMG_20220319_151059.thumb.jpg.e98eacbc1bd88a017e09421d49022a22.jpg

And the barkbusters:

IMG_20220319_151139.thumb.jpg.5bc74d21f0fda49dd67579acdede2d20.jpg

It was 3rd gear half the way through the revs crash on stoney/clay dirt road, loose the rear after small jump and can't recover, rear started overtaking front and i low sided, then bike started to turning around while sliding and screen hit my throat (!!!) and neck... luckily bracket holding screen break as otherwise it could crush my throat and it might end up pretty bad... now i got bruised throat and neck, can't swallow, but can breath, so i'm ok i think 😄

IMG_20220319_151139.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

On 3/19/2022 at 4:12 PM, Bartek said:

It was 3rd gear half the way through the revs crash on stoney/clay dirt road, loose the rear after small jump and can't recover, rear started overtaking front and i low sided, then bike started to turning around while sliding and screen hit my throat (!!!) and neck... luckily bracket holding screen break as otherwise it could crush my throat and it might end up pretty bad... now i got bruised throat and neck, can't swallow, but can breath, so i'm ok i think 😄

Ouch! Sorry to see that happened to you, glad you are alright! Sounds like you went down the EXACT same way I did, only I hit an embankment before the screen could come after me, mine ended up pointed straight down in the mud instead. Looks like the cage and handguards served their purpose though! 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

@murkus Good humor... Well Done!

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators
3 hours ago, murkus said:

Just gonna put this here

That's going to sell a lot of crashbars!

4 hours ago, murkus said:

Just gonna put this here

If you haven't seen this,  it is a must!!!!  Hahahahahahahahahah because it is sooooooo true!!!