Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2 wheel drive madness

Mike99

I got one of these sitting in my garage, a wr450f  2-Trac, basically a 450 with a hydraulically driven front wheel and lots of fancy Ohlins bits, they were used in the Dakar in the early 2000s, I think they only made 250 of them, in the snow or across a bog it's unstoppable but in the woods it a liability, you spin up the rear to make a tight turn the power unexpectedly shifts to the front and launches you up a tree, if anyone out there want to take their life in their hands I may be persuaded to part with it

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_3486.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

Edited by Mike99
  • Like 2

• Supporting Vendor

That is very cool. I know a few people that have had mechanical Christini AWD bikes in the past but I've never seen a hydrostatic set up like that.

I know you can turn the AWD off with the Christini. Is there any ability to spin the rear tire independently with this set up?

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

No, its not possible to turn off the front drive, but it's not a full time 2 wheel drive, there's a centrifugal clutch in the hydraulic motor, it only applies power to the front when the back is spinning and only about 15% it's enough to get you out of a hole or up a near vertical slope, on the fun side if you get it on wet grass you can do a two wheel power slide, but that usually ends in some sort of injury 

• Like 6

@Mike99 Thanks, I never saw that 2WD style before. The hydrostatic/centrifugal clutch/15% power setup sound very well thought out. Like Cory, I have seen the Christini 2WD's before. Another neat setup, but complicated.

I have a couple of the old (Early 60's) Nethercutt/Rokon bikes. Simple mini-bikes basicly, no suspension but can really trudge thru anything (at a 15-mph maximum speed). They have a drive shaft running thru the frame with a one-way releasing clutch so the front wheel can turn faster (freewheel) when turning corners. Dirt simple, but ingenious.

2015 Nevada Rokon Trip 115.jpg

• Like 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

@Hibobbyeah it does work really well in extreme conditions but the standard wr450 is faster and easier to ride due to the lower weight, I like those Rokons they look like two wheeled tractors, your trailer is nicely made

It is probably well out of my league but i'm intrigued to know what one of these might be worth. If you PM me I promise to be discreet.