Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha heated grips not as good as Oxford - or are they??

Rich TT

On 11/9/2019 at 5:07 PM, slawmir said:

Today, I bought Oxford heated grips and what's the best, easiest way to install the hot grips switch on Tenere 700 using metal bracket included in the package? 

WP_20191109_16_47_31_Pro.jpg

The heated grips are fitted. I didn't have to trim them down. I just cut a little bit metal bracket for controller and bent it the other way. Then I drilled 10mm hole, so it looks like that.

WP_20191207_13_33_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20191207_13_06_50_Pro.jpg

Edited by slawmir
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Looks good!  Have you connected the grips directly to the battery?  Or whit one of the connectors under the side panel?  If so, which one did you use under the left panel or the right?  I heard they used different fuses at the left and right connectors.  Thanks in advance!

Nick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickT7 said:

Looks good!  Have you connected the grips directly to the battery?  Or whit one of the connectors under the side panel?  If so, which one did you use under the left panel or the right?  I heard they used different fuses at the left and right connectors.  Thanks in advance!

Nick

Thanks. I've connected them directly to the battery.

I've watched video on youtube about  connecting yamaha heated grips. 

It might helps you.

• 2 weeks later...

Question: ... if the Oxfords are 132 mm ... what is the size of the Yamaha ones? ... They seem to have an extra spacer so I am assuming they are not large enough to cover the whole handlebar grip.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MGG said:

Question: ... if the Oxfords are 132 mm ... what is the size of the Yamaha ones? ... They seem to have an extra spacer so I am assuming they are not large enough to cover the whole handlebar grip.

You're right. I guess Yamaha grips are 122mm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2019 at 7:03 PM, slawmir said:

You're right. I guess Yamaha grips are 122mm.

Did you buy the extra Yamaha cable to connect the Oxford ones and cut it up to connect them?

I got the Yamaha original ones but they dont get as warm as i like (even on >600c settings, buyers beware!), i will be changing them for Oxford ones.....

Edited by Bad Pritt
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bad Pritt said:

Did you buy the extra Yamaha cable to connect the Oxford ones and cut it up to connect them?

I got the Yamaha original ones but they dont get as warm as i like (even on >600c settings, buyers beware!), i will be changing them for Oxford ones.....

I didn't. I connected them directly to the battery.

Hello, i have also installed the Oxford heated grips on the same way Slawmir did it, and it looks fine. I haven't installed them directly on the battery but i have used original Yamaha 3 pins connectors. (i bought a couple of these on Ali Express) the grips work very good! The originals from yamaha are a lot more expensive than the Oxfords. 

IMG_20191221_183349.jpg

IMG_20191221_154239.jpg

IMG_20191221_154259.jpg

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, NickT7 said:

Hello, i have also installed the Oxford heated grips on the same way Slawmir did it, and it looks fine. I haven't installed them directly on the battery but i have used original Yamaha 3 pins connectors. (i bought a couple of these on Ali Express) the grips work very good! The originals from yamaha are a lot more expensive than the Oxfords. 

Nice, can you give me the Aliexpress link to the connectors?

US $1.79  10%OFF | 1/5/10/50 sets MT 2.2mm Serie verzegelde Sumitomo 3 pin way mannelijke vrouwelijke wit automotive connector voor Yamaha 6187-3231 6180-3241

If it don't work you can search on: Yamaha connector. 

Nick

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Can anyone confirm a simple question? The feed is 3 pin but the connection to the heated grips is 2? Why is that?

Also, in the video the heated grips are connected to the 3 pin connector lower down, not via the spare 3 pin connector behind the left hand side of the screen? Which is the correct one? Are they rated for current draw differently?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Edited by Duncan666

Hi, I connected the Oxfords to the 3 pin connector under the left side panel.  It is true that there are 3 wires.  (2 positive and 1 negative) I honestly don't know why this is.  I only used 1 positive and 1 negative for the Oxford heated grips.  So I did not use the other positive.  I hope it is so clear to you.  I honestly don't know why yamaha did this.

Nick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i presume the extra positive is to power the fancy lights on the yamaha grips. who knows?? i cant work out why the 900 tracer grips are toasty (have tried them on a test bike)yet the t7's are crap.

I just figured it out.  But if all goes well, the second positive wire is to control a relay for example, the optional fog lamps.  You do not need it for the handle heating. 

Nick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bth2 said:

i presume the extra positive is to power the fancy lights on the yamaha grips. who knows?? i cant work out why the 900 tracer grips are toasty (have tried them on a test bike)yet the t7's are crap.

Yes, I'd like to know that too. I've adjusted mine for the max cc bike setting (hold down power button until lights flash and then click until all 3 lights are on and let go) and they're still not a patch on my Oxford grips on at only 50%. Really disappointing, but at least it's getting warmer soon !

I reckon they're fine for around 5-6C or so. Any lower and they're no good.

Rich

• Like 2

• Moderators

So at this point it is confirmed that even when set up correctly for the bike, the Yamaha heated grips fall way short of the Oxford set regarding heat output. 5-6C are temps I will see in the summer so the decision is easy should I chose to upgrade.

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone Installed the oxford heated grips and connected directly to the battery? Seems I’m going to have to remove the tank to route the cables cleanly back to the battery...

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 12:11 PM, slawmir said:

I didn't. I connected them directly to the battery.

Hi Slawmir. Did you remove the tank to get the cables back to the battery? I want to connect directly to the battery but would rather not remove the tank 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luapmargni@yaho said:

Has anyone Installed the oxford heated grips and connected directly to the battery? Seems I’m going to have to remove the tank to route the cables cleanly back to the battery...

Hi,

I have installed mine and didn't remove the tank... Use a longer zip tie to feed from the front of the tank and underneath coming towards the side where the shifter is... I had some pictures here on the forum I think.. But the answers is you don't need to remove tank. 

👍

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Hi,

I have installed mine and didn't remove the tank... Use a longer zip tie to feed from the front of the tank and underneath coming towards the side where the shifter is... I had some pictures here on the forum I think.. But the answers is you don't need to remove tank. 

👍

I confirm that.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I fitted the yamaha ones as had them before on my XT660R and plug into the loom easily.

very pleased with heat and results.

643F53D2-0CF5-4C7A-9581-1FA6D2E0BDF7.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 1:32 PM, NickT7 said:

Nick

Just an fyi for those (at least in the US) following this thread and installing heated grips, that might be wondering which connector to plug into...

As with the Euro models, there are two 3-pin accessory connectors. BOTH are wired through the same 10 amp fuse (the #4 Accessory fuse in the block). So it doesn't really matter which one you plug into. Yamaha intended the one behind the left panel to be for the grips, and the one behind the right panel to be for the driving lights. Both have two positive wires and one ground wire, because the Yamaha grips and driving lights use relays (according to the wiring schematic at the end of the Service Manual). 

There is also two 2-pin Auxiliary connectors shown in the schematic. These are wired to the #5 Auxiliary fuse in the block. (Might be more appropriate for your GPS or other electronic device which wouldn't be protected using a 10A fuse). 

• Like 4

Surprising that some don't find the Yamaha grips hot enough. You're 100% sure they're on the > 600 cc base setting?

• Like 1