Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha heated grips not as good as Oxford - or are they??

Rich TT

1 hour ago, beater_bimmer said:

Anyone have the KOSO heated grips that can speak to where they fall compared to the OEM Yamaha and Oxford's?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T6IX42S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just bought the KOSO grips, I have them on the bike but not wired up yet. I had the oxfords on my last bike so I'll let you know how they compare after. They look and fit super awesome on the tenere though.

Yeah, I'm liking the look (looks similar to the Yamaha ones). I strongly dislike the Oxford controller look.

Yeah thats the biggest reason I went for the koso grips this time around. I should have them wired up in the next few days so ill let you know.

• Like 1

@mpb1 seems to have them installed per the barkbuster thread.  Any feedback you can share with us?

3 hours ago, beater_bimmer said:

@mpb1 seems to have them installed per the barkbuster thread.  Any feedback you can share with us?

Yes I have them.  Here's my impression after about 200 miles.  Just got back from my first real ride with them from the SLC, Utah airport, up Big Cottonwood Canyon, through Park City, North through Morgan, then back to SLC on i-84.  What a ride.

-I love the operation.  The functional heat is great, blue isn't really warming your hands much, maybe good for a 70F summer night with no gloves, and red is too hot to hold tight with motocross-style thin gloves.  Orange and red are probably more helpful with thicker gloves.  I noticed with the ATV I had with heated grips I had to run a hotter temp if I had thick gloves, because the gloves were insulating against the heat.

-The wiring and overall quality is very good.  I have them wired to the battery for now until I purchase the mating connectors to the stock harness, that is working fine as long as I continue not forgetting to turn them off.

-It seems like they are nice high quality grips, the rubber is molded well, the colors of the light are distinguishable and bright.  The button and light are one rocking assembly, and easy to push.  The light fades from color to color.  These are not $9 grips and they don't feel like chinese knock-offs.

-I don't understand the size, I don't think they are wide enough and I think the 1" diameter is too thick for an off-road bike.  I have very normal sized hands, I wear large gloves.  My left thumb bumps the button/light area while the meat on the outside of my left hand can feel the bump at the outside of the grip.  I have the 1" diameter 130mm width.  If you have very narrow hands with really long fingers maybe you would love them.  If you have wide hands you will spill over them on both sides.  If you are analytical, you will wonder why the bump in the left grip with the button and light is exactly in the space where your thumb starts wrapping around the grip, while there is a perfect place above it, the "nook" between your thumb and finger should house the button.  Before you tell me to roll the grip forward, the wiring continues down out of the button area, its just a failed ergonomic design.

-I don't think the texture is enough for an off-road application.  I really like the stock grip "squares on your fingers"pattern like a motocross bike.

I guess in the end I wish they made a version for ADV bikes with 140-145mm width, as thin as is practical to fit the throttle tube and heater under the rubber, and a re-located button rolled up into the space between your left thumb and finger.  When they wear out I think I'll try something different.  If I had some sort of cruiser maybe they would be perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/Hc2bsou.mp4

vnqSjFc.jpg

7u9M5JM.jpg

nZvCeFD.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Are they keyed? Will they only work with Yamaha grips?

No I think they will just fill the 10mm void left with the 120mm grip.

Should work fine.

I've just ordered the KOSO heated grips, will chime in here after install!

• 1 month later...

I should be picking up a T7 this week from a local dealer.  Yippee!!

The first order of business is to install heated grips myself.  In the past, I have always gone with aftermarket (Oxford) heated grips.  But with the T7, I want to go OEM for the easy integration with the wiring harness.  However, I can't seem to find the OEM T7 specific heated grips in the USA.  All I can find are the universal Yamaha heated grips.  From the online pictures, these seem to connect directly to the battery rather than to the heated grip accessory plug.  By contrast, the heated grips I see on EU listings look to be plug-andplay with the wiring harness accessory connector.  

For those in the USA, what part numbers did you order?  And where did you get them from?  Was it a plug-and-play installation, to the accessory connector, or did they connect directly to the battery?

• Like 1

Did anyone wire the oxfords into the stock wiring (three pin connector) and if so how exactly?

4 hours ago, A A Ron said:

I should be picking up a T7 this week from a local dealer.  Yippee!!

The first order of business is to install heated grips myself.  In the past, I have always gone with aftermarket (Oxford) heated grips.  But with the T7, I want to go OEM for the easy integration with the wiring harness.  However, I can't seem to find the OEM T7 specific heated grips in the USA.  All I can find are the universal Yamaha heated grips.  From the online pictures, these seem to connect directly to the battery rather than to the heated grip accessory plug.  By contrast, the heated grips I see on EU listings look to be plug-andplay with the wiring harness accessory connector.  

For those in the USA, what part numbers did you order?  And where did you get them from?  Was it a plug-and-play installation, to the accessory connector, or did they connect directly to the battery?

I used the Bikemaster heated grips with LCD display.  They were connected to the stock 3 plug accessory plug with the EU Yamaha accessory connecter.  I have the same grips on my Super Tenere and they work very good.  You can buy the three pin male connector as a separate item on EBay.

https://bikemaster.com/heated-grips-with-ldc-voltage-display.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZ-09-14-17-MT-09-18-19-Heated-Grips-Connector-Cable-BS2F62B0V000/333165006355?hash=item4d922e8e13:g:0sEAAOSw32lcbEI4

s-l400.jpg

1/5/10/50 sets MT 2.2mm Series sealed Sumitomo 3 pin way male female white automotive connector for Yamaha 6187-3231 6180-3241.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whisperquiet said:

I used the Bikemaster heated grips with LCD display.  They were connected to the stock 3 plug accessory plug with the EU Yamaha accessory connecter.  I have the same grips on my Super Tenere and they work very good.  You can buy the three pin male connector as a separate item on EBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZ-09-14-17-MT-09-18-19-Heated-Grips-Connector-Cable-BS2F62B0V000/333165006355?hash=item4d922e8e13:g:0sEAAOSw32lcbEI4

s-l400.jpg

1/5/10/50 sets MT 2.2mm Series sealed Sumitomo 3 pin way male female white automotive connector for Yamaha 6187-3231 6180-3241.

Does anyone have a pic of the wiring where this hooked it up to the OEM aux socket? Also, what are the wiring colors so I can match the (+) lead?

14 minutes ago, beater_bimmer said:

Does anyone have a pic of the wiring where this hooked it up to the OEM aux socket? Also, what are the wiring colors so I can match the (+) lead?

Read this thread.....it is easier to remove the left fairing panel where the connector can be clearly seen.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:12 PM, whisperquiet said:

s-l400.jpg

If using the Sumimoto 3-pin connector with aftermarket grips that just have positive and negative wires that would otherwise go to the battery, what is the third pin for on the connector for?

50 minutes ago, A A Ron said:

If using the Sumimoto 3-pin connector with aftermarket grips that just have positive and negative wires that would otherwise go to the battery, what is the third pin for on the connector for?

The Euro accessory harness for the factory Yamaha heated grips only has two pins installed in the three pin connector.

• Like 1

I just ordered the Oxford adventure heated grips today and an oem plug off eBay. Can’t wait to install them! 

On 9/8/2020 at 1:45 PM, A A Ron said:

I ordered these three.  The cable came from a local dealer.  The grips from Ebay.  The spacers from Ebay.  The spacers were sold out everywhere except for one vendor on Ebay so I grabbed from there just in case I have the dealer do the install with my 600 mile service.   The grips can connect directly to the battery if you don't want to use the cable. 

Edited by rhicks
  • Like 1

I'm wondering what the thinnest (smallest outside diameter) heated grips are?  I measured the stock grips (avoiding the waffle pattern) at 29.4mm left and 30.2 right

I purchased the Yamaha heated grips and they are 32.8mm left and 34.0 right.  Considering that the rubber is also super-hard I'm not inclined to install them.   I wear size medium gloves and know they will give me some issues.  I may be SOL.     

From mpb1's photo, it looks like the Koso grips might be even worse (fatter).  What about those Bikemaster grips?  

I measured using a digital caliper so that the jaws were just lightly touching the grip.  

Edited by Toei
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Toei said:

I'm wondering what the thinnest (smallest outside diameter) heated grips are?  I measured the stock grips (avoiding the waffle pattern) at 29.4mm left and 30.2 right

I purchased the Yamaha heated grips and they are 32.8mm left and 34.0 right.  Considering that the rubber is also super-hard I'm not inclined to install them.   I wear size medium gloves and know they will give me some issues.  I may be SOL.     

I measured using a digital caliper so that the jaws were just lightly touching the grip.  

I must say, now granted I come from a lifetime of only dirt bikes, cheap beer and broken dreams and this is my first Twin and first bike over 320lbs,, but you all on here impress me so much with your mm's and .2's, .7's and newton meter foot pound whoohaws.   

I'll generally put on my flannel shirt and hiking boots like usual and if my bike makes weird noises I'll flat wrap the throttle to see if it gets louder and then start from there.

I just really love how methodical you all are, detailed, and I have learned so much much from ya'll since I got my 7. So thank you. 

• Like 2

Ordered my Genuine Yamaha Heated Grips in July.  Still waiting for them to arrive at dealer.  Should be here just in time for Aussie summer🥵🤣

• Haha 1

Is there a specific Yamaha brand grip for the T7? I’ve seen the ones that are for several Yamaha applications that use the spacer. I am looking for the specific grips that plug directly into the bikes harness. Similar to the way Yamaha did it with the a Super Tenere. 

IMO , i had oxford on my bmw and  now yamaha oem grip on the tenere 

without a doubt the Oxford are hotter and more comfortable but have a ugly control panel, plus they are cheaper

oem are so hard on hands and don’t come as hot as Oxford even in the right setting mode 

at 8 celcius this morning I barely notice the grips are on😔