Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha heated grips not as good as Oxford - or are they??

Rich TT

2 hours ago, Tenerequebec said:

IMO , i had oxford on my bmw and  now yamaha oem grip on the tenere 

without a doubt the Oxford are hotter and more comfortable but have a ugly control panel, plus they are cheaper

oem are so hard on hands and don’t come as hot as Oxford even in the right setting mode 

at 8 celcius this morning I barely notice the grips are on😔

Any ideas on adding padding to oxford grips.  Another inmate reports they are hard on hands.

2 hours ago, Tenerequebec said:

IMO , i had oxford on my bmw and  now yamaha oem grip on the tenere 

without a doubt the Oxford are hotter and more comfortable but have a ugly control panel, plus they are cheaper

oem are so hard on hands and don’t come as hot as Oxford even in the right setting mode 

at 8 celcius this morning I barely notice the grips are on😔

I think this has been my biggest issue, the hardness and tackiness of the Yamaha heated grips. They've been sitting on my workbench for 3 months and I can’t get myself to put them on. 

The grip material is very hard, they seem like sport bike grips. They also feel slippery in the hand. Koso grips look to have the same issue. Oxfords might be a little better. 

as much as I love the integrated look of the Yamaha heated grip switch, I think I’m going to end up going back to a Heat Demon system with an external switch and more dirt-oriented comfortable grips (progrip 714s). 

13 minutes ago, Vtamb81 said:

I think this has been my biggest issue, the hardness and tackiness of the Yamaha heated grips. They've been sitting on my workbench for 3 months and I can’t get myself to put them on. 

The grip material is very hard, they seem like sport bike grips. They also feel slippery in the hand. Koso grips look to have the same issue. Oxfords might be a little better. 

as much as I love the integrated look of the Yamaha heated grip switch, I think I’m going to end up going back to a Heat Demon system with an external switch and more dirt-oriented comfortable grips (progrip 714s). 

Regarding the hard grips, specifically øxford, I reached out to them for ideas.

Also,I'll be researching adding padding to the grips myself, I.E. DIY grip padding.

I find the oem  Yamaha grips to be very slick. Any ideas to rough them up a bit to make them more grippy?

Edited by DWEL700

12 minutes ago, DWEL700 said:

I find the oem  Yamaha grips to be very slick. Any ideas to rough them up a bit to make them more grippy?

Grip puppies are good fir this but you loose some heat 🔥 👍 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ADVUSA said:

Any ideas on adding padding to oxford grips.  Another inmate reports they are hard on hands.

Try grip puppies.

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Puppy-Comfort-Grips-Original/dp/B00CP9ADD8/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=grip+puppies&qid=1599931624&sr=8-5

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2020 at 8:37 PM, beater_bimmer said:

Does anyone have a pic of the wiring where this hooked it up to the OEM aux socket? Also, what are the wiring colors so I can match the (+) lead?

It is the connector I circled in light blue.   The red/yellow wire is hot and the brown wire is ground.

4623301C-C62B-4932-9EEC-9C15AE1A7097.jpeg

• Like 1

Now that the Yamaha Grips have been sorted out to be actual heated grips and the install was at fault for the reported problems, I pulled the trigger and ordered them along with the wiring kit and spacer. While the oxfords have a loyal following, I could not deal with the handlebar mounted 70's thermostat like controller, it looks like a afterthought. will update after the install.

• Like 2

I have oxfords on my Africa Twin. Yes they work good, grip diameter is to big for my hands. Plus they’re slick. Priced right though. I agree the controller is 80s looking but works as advertised. Cuts off automatically if left in which is a nice feature. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roy826 said:

Is there a specific Yamaha brand grip for the T7? I’ve seen the ones that are for several Yamaha applications that use the spacer. I am looking for the specific grips that plug directly into the bikes harness. Similar to the way Yamaha did it with the a Super Tenere. 

No - it's just the universal grips from Yamaha.  Yamaha has an adapter cable which will enable directly plugging into the T7 wiring harness.  The grip spacers are specific to the T7.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, roy826 said:

I have oxfords on my Africa Twin. Yes they work good, grip diameter is to big for my hands. Plus they’re slick. Priced right though. I agree the controller is 80s looking but works as advertised. Cuts off automatically if left in which is a nice feature. 

One of the reasons I'm going to ditch the grips and get some gloves is the controller.. Can't stand it anymore 🤣👍

• Like 1

All those having a whine about the genuine Yamaha heaters not being as hot as they should be,  have seen the mode to go to,  to properly set them up I presume?

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 7:13 AM, roy826 said:

Is there a specific Yamaha brand grip for the T7? I’ve seen the ones that are for several Yamaha applications that use the spacer. I am looking for the specific grips that plug directly into the bikes harness. Similar to the way Yamaha did it with the a Super Tenere. 

I had the same question and never really sorted it out with complete confidence.  But here is what I did find ...

From my research it appears that in the EU, you can buy a kit that does plug directly into the bike's accessory harness.  The part numbers are:

• 1 x yme-f2960-00-00 Heated Grip 120 Set
  • 1 x yme-f296e-00-00 Heated Grip Spacer Set
  • 1 x bc6-h253l-00-00 Heated Grip Connector Cable

However, I don't see those items in the Yamaha USA parts catalog.  Instead, the catalog lists universal heated grips with part no B67-H29A0-V0-00.  It isn't clear whether this version only has ring adapters for direct battery connection, or optionally has the harness to plug into the bike's accessory plug for heated grips.  Also, apparently, these are also 120mm and so require the spacer set.  

I checked my bike, and did find what I understand is the heated grip accessory plug under the right side cowling.  So I assume the wiring harness is the same as the EU bikes in this regard.  If so, you could just order the EU parts online.

I've read conflicting posts on whether the OEM grips get as hot as aftermarket offerings like Oxfords.  This is even when the OEM grips are programmed for large bikes. I've ordered the Koso Apollo grips for now because 1) they have an integrated appearance like OEM grips, 2) have more heat settings (5 vs 3 I think), 3) are likely hotter at higher heat settings, 4) come in 130mm length so that no spacer is needed, and 5) they are cheaper.

I also ordered a Sumitomo 3 pin connector that mates to the heated grip accessory plug on the bike's wiring harness.  I plan to cut the battery ring terminals off of the Koso Apollo grips, attached the Sumitomo connector, and plug it into the bike's wiring harness.

In the past I've always run Oxfords which are excellent, but have the separate controller that clutters the handlebars.

Edited by A A Ron
  • Like 2

For those of you have installed heated grips on the T7, does the throttle tube have a ridge close to the switch gear over which you fit the rubber on the end of the stock grip?  I've had bikes like this in the past, and have had to remove the ridge with a Dremel in order to slide the right side heated grip all the way inward.   Doing so is a PITA.

1 hour ago, A A Ron said:

For those of you have installed heated grips on the T7, does the throttle tube have a ridge close to the switch gear over which you fit the rubber on the end of the stock grip?

No, or at least not one that I noticed. Just slid the OEM off -> applied some glue and slid the heated grips on, job done (apart from wiring)

• Like 1

Since we are talking about grips, does anyone know what this is?   It's on the throttle side and is just a piece of plastic that isn't attached to anything.  Is it to prevent the grip from rubbing the body or is it something the dealer should look at.  Throttle works fine.

IMG_5463.jpg

57 minutes ago, rhicks said:

Since we are talking about grips, does anyone know what this is?   It's on the throttle side and is just a piece of plastic that isn't attached to anything.  Is it to prevent the grip from rubbing the body or is it something the dealer should look at.  Throttle works fine.

IMG_5463.jpg

It's exactly as you said - just to prevent the grip from rubbing against the the throttle housing.

As a word of caution to anyone installing heated grips using glue - I installed Oxford heated grips on my T7 the other day using the included glue that Oxford provides.  Well, stupid me had the bike on the side stand with the handlebars turned all the way to the left, and as I squeezed the glue onto the throttle tube, gravity kicked in and the glue started to drip down towards that plastic ring between the housing and the grip.  I didn't realize this until I pushed the Oxford grip onto the throttle tube all the way to the housing.  In a near panic I tried to pull the grip off by a few millimeters, but that damn grip glue is so quick to dry.  For a few seconds the throttle tube wouldn't snap back and I thought I just wasted a perfectly good heated grip and would have to cut it off.  But I kept running a thin rag between the grip and that plastic ring to soak up any glue and allow the throttle to turn freely. 

Bottom line:  Keep your handlebars level when applying glue, and keep it away from that thin plastic ring near the throttle housing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Seventh Son said:

It's exactly as you said - just to prevent the grip from rubbing against the the throttle housing.

Thanks!  

• Like 1

Anyone have issues with the Yamaha heated grip size when running barkbuster handguards? Without the Grip spacer it’s too short. With the grip spacer it’s too long and rubs against the bark buster-supplied bar end weight. 

I guess I could always cut the spacer down but this whole process is irritating. 

25AB0FFC-0686-470B-BEA0-7198563222DF.jpeg

AEB34361-C2F8-480F-83BD-A128F242D389.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Vtamb81 said:

Anyone have issues with the Yamaha heated grip size when running barkbuster handguards? Without the Grip spacer it’s too short. With the grip spacer it’s too long and rubs against the bark buster-supplied bar end weight. 

I guess I could always cut the spacer down but this whole process is irritating. 

Nevermind, did some more searching and answered my question on the forum. Looks like you need to cut the spacers...

I've been riding around the Yukon with my oem heated grips (programmed for a large bike) and I can report... that they are inadequate. Period.  Stop.  Done.  I am very disappointed.  Even last night when I was riding when it was just 7-8C, wearing waterproof gloves that aren't super think (Icon Patrol 2), I could barely feel the heat.  The dealer installed mine and I think they are plugged into one of the auxiliary plugs near the dash. I'm now wondering - hoping - that maybe that junction is not supplying enough power? I'm going to try and connect the grips directly to the battery (I have a cable for that) and see if that helps. Otherwise these grips will be going up for sale. As they are they would be nice for riding around California on a cool summer evening, not for the fall in the Yukon. Thumbs down Yamaha. Yes, it is nice to have an integrated and sleek look, but if they don't work what is the point?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vtamb81 said:

Instead of cutting the spacer why don't you just move the switchgear and throttle slide up the bar slightly, they're easily moved by slackening a few screws.

• Like 2

What is the final verdict on the Oxford wiring to the original three PIN connector:

1. Are both pluses within the connector equal and I just wire the Oxford's plus to any of them? (hence ending up with two oxford wires going into the standard Yamaha 3-pin connector)

2. If I read correctly, there is one spare 3-pin connector on the left hand side and another one on the right hand side, both 10-amps? Does it matter which one I wire it to in terms of convenience?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Spuzvica said:

What is the final verdict on the Oxford wiring to the original three PIN connector:

1. Are both pluses within the connector equal and I just wire the Oxford's plus to any of them? (hence ending up with two oxford wires going into the standard Yamaha 3-pin connector)

2. If I read correctly, there is one spare 3-pin connector on the left hand side and another one on the right hand side, both 10-amps? Does it matter which one I wire it to in terms of convenience?

Thanks!

My Koso Apollo heated grips and Sumitomo connectors just arrived, and I have similar questions. 

I think I was told that the Yamaha connector only has pins in two of the three spots.  

I saw a video where where a guy used the right side connector for OEM heated grip install.  Just google "Yamaha Tenere 700 where to connect heated grips."   I assume he was following Yammy instructions.  I think I'll pull the auxiliary fuses to confirm the amp rating for the right side connector. 

I hope to tackle the job this weekend, and I will report back.  I really don't know what I am talking about yet. 🙂