Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha heated grips not as good as Oxford - or are they??

Rich TT

On 3/18/2021 at 2:57 PM, WRXer said:

Our own Orbsurfer has a vid.

how did the grip puppies go with the heated grips...can you still get the heat through them ok?

23 hours ago, JayD said:

While this is an awesome thread with much information, I still had a few questions regarding installing the Oxford heated grips and use a Yamaha connector.

Heres what I found as a complete electrical noob:

The rewiring of the Oxford cable to the Sumimoto (ebay) connector was easy, but  having never done anything like this, I had to tinker for a long time. Picture 1. Didn’t use a crimping tool, just pliers from my Leatherman.

What took the most time was figuring out where to put all the cables after the install. The Oxford cables are very long. I ended up taping them all together with vulcanizing silicon tape, which is a genius thing. Picture 2 is where I stored most of the bundle, on the side of the radiator with strips to the frame after taping them together. Inside the bundle theres three connectors, the power source already installed on our bikes to the Oxford cable, and the left& right cables to the grips.

Picture 3 is where the wires went from the bars and over the triple tree.

Long post, but hopefully its useful if you’re considering this upgrade. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message and I can explain further.

Pic 5: heated grips are a must in Norway, I couldn’t feel my pinky for a day.

Johannes

13EAAFC3-D8D7-4170-801C-143731A00833.jpeg

A19599B7-EBC6-435F-9EF6-19FBA0FBCF65.jpeg

3E22A18B-2599-4ED5-BA1F-CFE55ED5118B.jpeg

FC6454D2-3C7D-4A1E-885A-D1E1331F9C5E.jpeg

Hard to tell from the pic but the way you crimped those doesn’t look correct. 

4 hours ago, mpatch said:

Hard to tell from the pic but the way you crimped those doesn’t look correct. 

Thanks for the feedback - found a photo on how it should be done. Will re-crimp it.

F2FD8D35-5A69-4580-8A73-7B14F1FFC19B.jpeg

Edited by JayD

• 1 month later...

How has everyone routed the throttle cable?

image.thumb.png.a64075bb1650b7fbc0df7ab3b7956a6c.png

Thanks for the controller idea!

image.thumb.png.719c5cf5272a162daffc3661f19e3e2e.png

For power i cut the power off the oxford cable and soldered to the 3 ways yammy plugs i got from aliexpress and plugged that into the bike. I didn't use a fuse, figuring the circuit is fused? It didnt seem very servicable having a fuse behind the fairing. 

Whats everyone else doing for power?

Thanks

Edited by JimmyTheHuman

Howdy, just got bike and just started ordering extras, Bark busters and Oxfords in the mail, but thought I made a booboo, by not knowing that I may have needed to buy extenders?  I know now, Orbsurfers video  mentioned that I would have to buy extenders for yamaha grips.  But I don't need them for Oxfords.  Thanks to those who clarified.   

Edited by Macduncan
clarify

I didnt need spacers for mine, the stock set from Yamaha does though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks colddog, Got it in the mail today and am in the garage and have it unglued to confirm that all good without spacers.

Feel like I should warn a few folks that before gluing... I saw it last minute, to check that the clutch can be pulled back fully.  If I angle the wire housing towards the rear a bit, towards me, the lever has full range, which seems best.  If it is positioned straight to the floor, the lever could hit wire housing too early and lose some range.

Also, not many pics available (only 2 I saw in this thread? )  For throttle side, you could put the wire housing pointed 45 degrees down from horizontal away from you, above brake lever, or similar to left side towards you, or in one pic, it looked like the choice was straight up??  Maybe just a personal choice as how it rotates best given zip tie locations holding  wires.

Has anybody been bummed with their throttle choice placement decision, or is there a best choice for a specific reason.  A wrong position could cause Cable to rest on front brake lever and have accidental loss of deceleration when off the throttle?  any happy with choice pics?

Thanks. 

Edited by Macduncan

I was called by the dealer yesterday. Finally my bike is there and I will soon get it. However I was told that the OEM heated grips are no more available. Apparently there are too much problems with them 😮

• Confused 1

On 5/6/2021 at 5:36 AM, Macduncan said:

Howdy, just got bike and just started ordering extras, Bark busters and Oxfords in the mail, but did I make a booboo, by not knowing that I may have needed to buy extenders?  I saw Orbsurfers video and it was mentioned that I have to buy extenders even though I bought "premium adventure" grips.  Please confirm that I do, or that I don't..... need to shop more for that item before I start taking apart handlebars.  Thanks for your insights. 

If you bought oxfords you do not need an extender 🙂 

• Like 1

Did someone test Technogolbe Gold heated grips? My dealer offered me this ones because the OEM ones are discontinued and any replacement won't be available before september.

• 3 months later...
On 11/20/2020 at 4:37 PM, concours said:

Just tested my Koso heated grips, great so far. 
Easiest install ever! (I’ve dozens on sleds, a couple bikes) 

They begin on “HI” as it should be, toggle down as you warm up.

I was impressed with Koso quality on my RZ350 EGT gage, and also the tach for my Rocket III Touring.

The grips appear to be similar good quality. 

59672FD5-F677-402F-B7F9-55910D0E8148.jpeg

F39F0EFE-472D-4999-8B59-459B57604F4E.jpeg

AD571194-4D9C-44F0-A973-E65FEF7AC505.jpeg

B32F9FA5-C7DD-4898-B0D6-7F21DDA7B253.jpeg

Update: rode 175 miles in rain last week... the feckers quit working 25 miles in. 
Shut off. 
Wouldn't come back on.

When I tried, it displayed a purple color on the LED for a brief moment & turned off. 
turns out, the switch is not sealed, merely fits in a molded pocket. 
Just when you really need them, they soiled the sheets. 
Screwed again, by substandard shite.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2021 at 6:44 PM, concours said:

Update: rode 175 miles in rain last week... the feckers quit working 25 miles in. 
Shut off. 
Wouldn't come back on.

When I tried, it displayed a purple color on the LED for a brief moment & turned off. 
turns out, the switch is not sealed, merely fits in a molded pocket. 
Just when you really need them, they soiled the sheets. 
Screwed again, by substandard shite.

...and another day in the rain, Northern Maine in October, and they shut off. 

• Sad 1

On 10/26/2021 at 12:08 PM, concours said:

...and another day in the rain, Northern Maine in October, and they shut off. 

Two kindly worded e-mails to Koso, looking for any update/fix. Crickets.

They got their last nickle from me.
Oxfords ORDERED! 

• Like 1

Here is a response:   (pretty sure POWER SPORTS equipment is expected to be waterproof)

Hi ,

Its happened twice on this same set of grips? As for the rain, are we talking slight rain or torrential downpour?

XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX
Technician

image.png.c201240e6f363ed23979cbc66a30f058.png

Koso North America

T:         450-359-0604

TF:       1-877-777-0604

E:         XXXXXXX@koso-na.com

Business Hours:
Mon-Thu:                      9am - 5pm (Est.)
Friday:              9am - noon (Est.)

kosonorthamerica.com

Facebook icon   Instagram icon

The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future.

De : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>
Envoyé : 26 octobre 2021 12:16
À : XXXXXXXXXX@koso-na.com>
Objet : Apollo heated grips failure

Hi, I've twice been left with inoperative grips when riding in the rain. It appears (not SURE) the switch merely sets into a rubber pocket in the left grip, and gets wet. When dried, they begin working again. last weeks ride in Rangely, ME left my old hands freezing. I'm a big fan of Koso, I have the EGT, and also tachometer o two other bikes. Can you help me? 

Edited by concours

• 11 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 6:07 AM, orbsurfer said:

The part numbers I ordered received from the Yamaha dealer here in the US were: B67-H29A0-V0 (Universal Grip Warmers) + BW3-F6021-V0 (Heated Grip Spacers), but there are different part numbers for the Yamaha Heated Grips.

The Accessory Catalogue in Australia have YME-F2960-00 for the Universal Heated Grips...

Anyone know the physical or electrical difference between these two heated grips??

YME-F2960-00-00 heated grips (believe comes with cable to battery)

B67-H29A0-00-00 heated grips (confirmed it comes with cable to battery)

Dealer ordered me the B67's - said they replaced the YME... ?

Above grips require YME-F296E-00 Grip warmer spacer and Bc6-H253L-00-00 Grip warmer connector cable to use the 3-pin 10Amp connector behind front turn signal.

Both grip part #'s recently disappeared from Yamaha.ca for the T7.

A new part# YME-F2960-10-00 has no confirmed fitment to the T7  

Rugged roads web site implies this kit fits the T7 and obviates the need to order spacers and cable - BUT HAVE THE GRIPS THEMSELVES CHANGED at all??

Anyone know? 

yme-f2960-00-kit.jpg

OEM Yamaha Heated Grips FULL KIT - Tenere 700 / World Raid - Fully Integrated Design with three heat settings

On 9/16/2020 at 8:33 AM, Vtamb81 said:

Anyone have issues with the Yamaha heated grip size when running barkbuster handguards? Without the Grip spacer it’s too short. With the grip spacer it’s too long and rubs against the bark buster-supplied bar end weight. 

I guess I could always cut the spacer down but this whole process is irritating. 

25AB0FFC-0686-470B-BEA0-7198563222DF.jpeg

AEB34361-C2F8-480F-83BD-A128F242D389.jpeg

I'm looking at the same problem. Switch controls are pinned to the OEM bar, so my options ar:

1) cut the pins on the switch controls and move them inward

2) trim the Yamaha spacers on a lathe to match length of non-heated grips

3) add 3mm of washers to the bar end to move raw bark busters outboard.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:12 AM, A A Ron said:

I had the same question and never really sorted it out with complete confidence.  But here is what I did find ...

From my research it appears that in the EU, you can buy a kit that does plug directly into the bike's accessory harness.  The part numbers are:

• 1 x yme-f2960-00-00 Heated Grip 120 Set
  • 1 x yme-f296e-00-00 Heated Grip Spacer Set
  • 1 x bc6-h253l-00-00 Heated Grip Connector Cable

However, I don't see those items in the Yamaha USA parts catalog.  Instead, the catalog lists universal heated grips with part no B67-H29A0-V0-00.  It isn't clear whether this version only has ring adapters for direct battery connection, or optionally has the harness to plug into the bike's accessory plug for heated grips.  Also, apparently, these are also 120mm and so require the spacer set.  

I checked my bike, and did find what I understand is the heated grip accessory plug under the right side cowling.  So I assume the wiring harness is the same as the EU bikes in this regard.  If so, you could just order the EU parts online.

I've read conflicting posts on whether the OEM grips get as hot as aftermarket offerings like Oxfords.  This is even when the OEM grips are programmed for large bikes. I've ordered the Koso Apollo grips for now because 1) they have an integrated appearance like OEM grips, 2) have more heat settings (5 vs 3 I think), 3) are likely hotter at higher heat settings, 4) come in 130mm length so that no spacer is needed, and 5) they are cheaper.

I also ordered a Sumitomo 3 pin connector that mates to the heated grip accessory plug on the bike's wiring harness.  I plan to cut the battery ring terminals off of the Koso Apollo grips, attached the Sumitomo connector, and plug it into the bike's wiring harness.

In the past I've always run Oxfords which are excellent, but have the separate controller that clutters the handlebars.

New part number for OEM heated grips is YME-F2960-10-00. Comes with cable for connection to battery.

You still need to order the spacer set and connector cable.

If you have bark busters you will need +3mm spacer or washers at the bar ends as the heated grips with Yamaha spacers are longer than the non-heated grips. Or you can cut the plastic pins that locate the switch controls on the bars, move the controls inward and push the heated grips on a little further. 

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like the Yamaha OEM heated grips are back up on the Yamaha Canada Website.

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/accessories/motorcycles/heated-accessories?facetValueFilter=tenant~unit-fitment%3A2021-mxtz7mc&sale=False

But I am glad I went with the Oxford Advanced Adventure Heated Grips. Found a set of the UK version on ebay.ca for a great price. The UK version have the better water proof power connectors over the previous versions.

Just modified the control mounting bracket to mount on the left mirror to make it easy to reach with my thumb while riding.

I just needed to buy a Yamaha connector so I could plug it in without having to cut and splice any wired. The wires are also plenty long enough if you wire them directly to the battery. The controller has a built in battery saver mode, but I preferred to wire them into the connector that cuts the power when the bike is turned off.

1943403-el690uk-2--.jpg

IMG_20221119_171141.jpg

Note: - an added bonus of Oxford heated grips, is you can buy replacement parts. If one grip burns out, you can buy one replacement grip. The same goes for the controller, so you don't have to buy a complete set just to replace one part.

Edited by Rocky_Mtn_T7
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

….Which you will need. 
I have the Oxford advanced if I remember rightly, the degrees option with the thermistors in the grips. 
they were mega toasty when I I first had them, so I know they can work really well. Riding in minus 6 Celsius they were still good. 
they lasted less hours than I paid in pounds. Now barely warm. No corrosion in the control (I opened it, it’s well sealed) and apparently the newer controls don’t fail as much as the old ones. The lights come on for each change in temp setting, but the grips are lukewarm and there’s no heat at the front where your fingers need it. 
I might try another control, but at £50 it’s ridiculous I need one already. 
if I do fork out for a new control, and it’s both grips failing (unlikely), they will be inserted up the rear of two Oxford quality control bosses. 
I’ve had a cold wet morning. 🙄😂

• Haha 1

I must admit I didn’t think mine got super hot 

my GS ones almost burnt my hands through my summer gloves 

2 hours ago, Lewie said:

I must admit I didn’t think mine got super hot 

my GS ones almost burnt my hands through my summer gloves 

Were yours the ones with % on the controls? I got sent the wrong one but put it on my older machine.  I was hoping it was just a regular failure but sounds like we’ve all had issues. 
maybe the new Yamaha ones next

44 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Were yours the ones with % on the controls? I got sent the wrong one but put it on my older machine.  I was hoping it was just a regular failure but sounds like we’ve all had issues. 
maybe the new Yamaha ones next

Mine are as the picture above 

Edited by Lewie

I have the Oxford Heated grips with the integrated controller on the left hand grip. They are pretty good as long as it doesn't get wet and cold at the same time. When that happens they are useless, not hot enough to combact the combination of the wet and the cold. The settings have a max heat of 80%, which might really be the issue.

On the other hand, I have had the ones with the seperate controller in the past which goes to a 100% heat setting and they work better from the amount of heat they put out.

A friend has the Koso heated grips on his bike and while they look sooo bloody cool, they don't get as hot as the ones with the separate controller as well.

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

17 hours ago, motonap said:

I have the Oxford Heated grips with the integrated controller on the left hand grip. They are pretty good as long as it doesn't get wet and cold at the same time. When that happens they are useless, not hot enough to combact the combination of the wet and the cold. The settings have a max heat of 80%, which might really be the issue.

On the other hand, I have had the ones with the seperate controller in the past which goes to a 100% heat setting and they work better from the amount of heat they put out.

A friend has the Koso heated grips on his bike and while they look sooo bloody cool, they don't get as hot as the ones with the separate controller as well.

That sucks to hear. I was interested in getting that version without controller at some point if mine ever wear out. But I really want as much heat as possible.

It sounds weird that they only go up to 80%.