Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Seal for Leaky Gas Cap

Camel ADV

• Supporting Vendor

I'm sure most of you have seen the leaky fuel cap thread here: https://www.tenere700.net/topic/2632-leaky-fuel-cap-fix/

Quick summary of the issue for those of you that haven't read the thread linked above:

The T7 fuel cap uses a spring loaded seal that presses against the top lip of the fuel tank filler. The seal itself has very little give (the sealing material is very thin). If there is any pressure on the cap, it can rock side to side or back and forth. If this happens, it can create a gap between the tank lip and the seal which allows gas fumes or fuel to escape, especially if the bike is dropped. The situation most likely to cause this leak is a tank bag pushing down on the cap. You drop your bike and end up with a tank bag (and contents) soaked with gas. Some T7s seem to be better than others for this seal.

The leaking cap can cause grief for riders with a Camel Tank installed. The fuel transfers using vacuum and with the cap leaking, no vacuum builds so no fuel transfers.

Building off the work that @Hammerheaddid with o-rings, we had some washer/seals cut and have been testing them for a few months with great results. Our washer simply shims up the existing seal which creates more pressure, maxing out the spring in cap. The cap is no longer able to rock back and forth so it can't leak even with a tank bag bouncing on it over rough terrain.

Simply pop the fuel cap off, add two tiny drops of super glue, set the washer on and put your cap back on. The pressure of the spring sandwiching the seal seats everything nicely. Your cap will require a little extra push downward to get it latched properly when installing it. When opening the cap, you'll want to put a slight bit of pressure downward on the cap to so you're not putting too much load on the key.

We opted for the more expensive Viton material, the seal is $8. We could have used the much cheaper nitrile-butadiene rubber (NBR) material which is rated for gas but it has NBR has little resistance to ozone or UV. Our Viton seal will outlast the rest of your bike 😉

The seal is listed on our site here. I'll get some pics and a short install video up this weekend.

CamelTankCapLogo2_medium.jpg?v=163916284

An annoying issue with the T7 is its leaking fuel tank cap seal. The cap has a spring loaded seat under it and if there is any downward pressure on the cap other than straight down, the cap rocks slightly and the seal starts to...

• Like 9

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

Well played, Cory! (Royalties can be payed in beverage form when I visit the Camel shop 🍻)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Supporting Vendor

I know you've all been on the edge of your seats waiting for photos of the seal. Well here it is! Exciting, right?! LOL.

3 or 4 small dabs of super glue on one side of the seal then drop that into the groove of the OEM seal and install on the bike right away. That's it, that's all.

https://camel-adv.com/collections/yamaha-700-tenere-t7-parts-and-accessories/products/yamaha-700-tenere-t7-gas-tank-cap-seal

IMG_1758 2.JPG

“Fuel cap not included” 

But it does come with a new bike, ya?

Jokes aside, this is one of the rare Camel upgrades my bike won’t be getting! 

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

“Fuel cap not included” 

But it does come with a new bike, ya?

Jokes aside, this is one of the rare Camel upgrades my bike won’t be getting! 

I figured! You already have your bagel installed 😉

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Vendor

The fuel cap seal video is up:  

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • Supporting Vendor

We tweaked the fuel cap seal kit slightly. The seals used to be 3mm, but people struggled to install them on some of the 2022-23 bikes, so we went to 1.5mm. That worked for the tight bikes but wasn’t enough for the looser caps, so now the kit is two 1.5mm seals. Add one with a few drops of crazy glue, then set the other one on. If you can close the cap, stack the second seal onto the first with a few drops of glue. If you can’t get the second seal on, run the single seal for a few days/weeks and try the second seal again once the first has compressed a bit.

Cory

• Like 4