Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Added OEM 18mm lowering link, slack increased 3mm

KTM2smoker

Question

I kind of expected it would change, any thoughts on adjusting old range (43-48) to 46-51?  I'm thinking to be safe I'll change it to 46-48 with some allowance to the loose side.  I'd hate to adjust to 43 and it be the equivalent during suspension travel of the original 40 !

10 answers to this question

43 minutes ago, KTM2smoker said:

I kind of expected it would change, any thoughts on adjusting old range (43-48) to 46-51?  I'm thinking to be safe I'll change it to 46-48 with some allowance to the loose side.  I'd hate to adjust to 43 and it be the equivalent during suspension travel of the original 40 !

To clarify, are you discussing chain slack?

Oh, yeah  good point!  Yes, chain slack.  I'm definitely not resurrecting a discussion on suspension travel😳

I checked it before. Then I put on my 18mm lowering links, raised the forks up 10mm and took her around the farm to settle things in.  Then I measured the chain slack again.  

18mm is a huge difference, more than I expected.  Felt the same, actually a little better around the farm.  COG related I hope.

Edited by KTM2smoker

THREAD NECRO:

I have also lowered my tenere with those adjulstable linkages. I never even thought about chain slack being altered. How do we know the correct amount of slack?

• Confused 1

Really?  Read and reference the manual.  It has all the secrets in there and instructions on how to accomplish the task.  And you're going to like the interaction with the bike.  😁

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Spike4379 said:

THREAD NECRO:

I have also lowered my tenere with those adjulstable linkages. I never even thought about chain slack being altered. How do we know the correct amount of slack?

When I installed the 2cm shorter links (and lowered the forks), I did several tests and concluded that it was not necessary to readjust the chain slack. 45-48 is still the correct setting.

• Thanks 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

4 hours ago, Ol'crazy said:

When I installed the 2cm shorter links (and lowered the forks), I did several tests and concluded that it was not necessary to readjust the chain slack. 45-48 is still the correct setting.

Thank you man! I wasn't really sure because I'm not the most technically proficient when it comes to this so I really appreciate knowing 🙂

• Like 1

Oops, don't you mean longer links?

Longer links lower bike, shorter links raise bike!

5 hours ago, TexasT700 said:

Oops, don't you mean longer links?

Longer links lower bike, shorter links raise bike!

Yes, that's what I wanted to say. A little slip... 🙃

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

I've lowered a few bikes across the years.

I've a tendency to stick as closely as possible to the OEM geometry settings so I like lower both rear and front by exactly the same amount.

The way I do it (If lowering a linkage setup) is to stand your unladen bike upright.  (Easier with someone to keep the bike still)

Before removing the original links, take a measurement from the floor to a high point at the rear of the bike.

Doesn't really matter where, just as far back as you can.

Could be to a point at the edge of the seat,  or an indicator......anywhere.

Write this measurement down.

Swap your links.

Repeat the measuring manoeuvre as per above, measuring from the floor to exactly the same point as you did before swapping the links.

Subtract this measurement from your first one.

If it's say 25mm then raise your forks through the top yolk (triple tree) by this same dimension....25mm.

Your bike will be dropped by 25mm front to back and it's original steering geometry will be retained.

You can experiment with raising/lowering your forks from thereon.....if you really feel the need.

Edited by Toppie

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....