Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Clutch engagement noise from cold engine

jdub53

Question

I tried a search but didn't find any matches so here goes.

Background: I bought my T7 used in May 2021 with about 3,500 miles on it, and was told it'd already had a couple of oil changes. I changed the oil and filter on schedule at 4,000 miles, using Yamalube 10w-40 non-synthetic and 6,000 miles on the bike now.

Since the outside temps have dropped into 40s F, when starting out for a ride with a cold engine (after idling a minute or two) upon releasing the clutch for the first time it produces a very audible screech/groan while engaging. Only does it that once, with no more noise even at the two intersection stops I have to make within a few hundred yards leaving my neighborhood. Haven't really noticed any clutch shudder or jerkiness associated with the noise, and the clutch works flawlessly otherwise.

I'm thinking it's just the clutch plates reacting to the cold and probably nothing to worry about, but since I've never experiencing anything like this on any of the many other bikes I've owned figured I'd ask the question. The cold clutch in my KTM 950 Adv was a jerky monster until the oil warmed up, but it never made any noise.   

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Isn't it from the cable or lever?

Nope, definitely from the engine.

Same here. Not necessarily cold mornings, but just anytime the bike has been sitting a while. I’ve been more conscious about letting the bike warm up a little longer and that seems to have solved the issue. I still might tear into the clutch this winter and see that everything is in spec. Maybe clean and re-soak the plates…

• Like 2

Pulled it apart, cleaned, soaked, and reassembled. I've fired it up and rolled away silently in 1st multiple times since WITHOUT letting the engine warm up (24hrs in between start-ups). I'm no mechanic and couldn't tell you the first thing about clutch diagnostics but it seems to have worked for me (so far, haven't put any miles on her now that the roads are covered in salt) so if you're having this issue I suggest you tear into it! 

All fibre and drive plates were in spec. No warpage or thinning. Ditto basket and boss splines - no serious grooves. Only noticed visual wear on 1 of the black fibre plates. Can't remember if it was the furthest one in or furthest out but it had a whitish/dull wear mark around the entire circumference covering half of the pads from centre outwards. I sprayed all the fibre plates with brake clean and hung them up to dry. After soaking the plates overnight in fresh Yamalube Synthetic I decided to flip them all and switch the inner and outermost plates in hopes of spreading out the wear. 

I also noticed a decent amount of play in the needle bearing that the clutch basket rides on but assumed (hoped) that was normal. Maybe just over a millimetre at the tips of the clutch basket dogs. If anyone gets into theirs please let me know if you've got similar play. Maybe I'll pull it apart again in the spring and change that bearing and sleeve for peace of mind.   

• Like 2

Mine did the same, additionally it would never like to shift into or out of 3rd gear, the valves were also noisy. I would nervously recheck the oil level to make sure it wasn’t low. Purely by accident, I got rid of all those issues after doing an oil change. The only oil available was some overpriced Motul 7100 4T 10W-40. So I put it in. The shifts and noise went away. It also felt much better under strain in the mountains when shifting under duress. Now I use it exclusively on the T7 and the XSR700. Interestingly in the XSR, I didn’t notice anything different other than the quieter engine. Hope it helps, and as always, your results may vary. Olé! 

17 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

I tried a search but didn't find any matches so here goes.

Background: I bought my T7 used in May 2021 with about 3,500 miles on it, and was told it'd already had a couple of oil changes. I changed the oil and filter on schedule at 4,000 miles, using Yamalube 10w-40 non-synthetic and 6,000 miles on the bike now.

Since the outside temps have dropped into 40s F, when starting out for a ride with a cold engine (after idling a minute or two) upon releasing the clutch for the first time it produces a very audible screech/groan while engaging. Only does it that once, with no more noise even at the two intersection stops I have to make within a few hundred yards leaving my neighborhood. Haven't really noticed any clutch shudder or jerkiness associated with the noise, and the clutch works flawlessly otherwise.

I'm thinking it's just the clutch plates reacting to the cold and probably nothing to worry about, but since I've never experiencing anything like this on any of the many other bikes I've owned figured I'd ask the question. The cold clutch in my KTM 950 Adv was a jerky monster until the oil warmed up, but it never made any noise.   

My bike with 13800 miles does the same…..everything is good after the first clutch release.  I don’t feel like it is anything to be concerned about.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

My bike with 13800 miles does the same…..everything is good after the first clutch release.  I don’t feel like it is anything to be concerned about.

Thanks!

I have developed this same issue, now that you mention it. First thing in morning during a long trip last summer, after a couple of thousand miles on the oil I put in fresh for trip.  I guessed that this was normal. That the clutch was telling me it is time to change the oil. 

I changed oil after getting home from, and have not ridden bike since. Thanks for reminding me of this grinding noise. I will give it a test soon, once we have nicer dry day to go out. 

But I do not worry about it.

Edited by ahamay

I have it also. MT-07s have a history of shattered clutch plates. At least none I've read started out with our symptoms. Fingers crossed.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

I just popped by my dealer and asked if they've had any CP2 motors in for this issue. Apparently they never get any CP2 motors in for any issues, haha. I ordered a clutch cover gasket and will look into it and report back. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

Excerpt from dealer training manual " .... when presented with a mechanical issue from customer,  first response " Gee, we've never heard of that before"... ( rolling eyes optional). 😉

I should've mentioned that since it's gotten colder (14° for lows) mine too has the same symptoms as described by @jdub53.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I’ve experienced this as well, usually when the bike is cold and when I do a more aggressive start. I was going to soak the plates in oil, but it’s such an infrequent happening I decided not to bother.

23 hours ago, AZJW said:

Excerpt from dealer training manual " .... when presented with a mechanical issue from customer,  first response " Gee, we've never heard of that before"... ( rolling eyes optional). 😉

Well  that's when the guy gets to know me a little better. Normally it's me who then starts making noises 😆

Have had that with some dealers, but only once with each. 

back to topic: my T7 also produces that special noise and it doesn't have to sit in a place for so long to do it. For instance I arrive at work at 07h30 am and want to head back home like around 07h00 pm, I hear that same noise again. However, I can't tell the temperatures when I experience it. 

2 hours ago, Frisco said:

I’ve experienced this as well, usually when the bike is cold and when I do a more aggressive start. I was going to soak the plates in oil, but it’s such an infrequent happening I decided not to bother.

Why would you soak them in oil...they're already soaked in oil.

TO add, mine does this started around 8000 miles.  First clutch disengagement after bike has sat for a few days.  Sound is definitely in the clutch area and not lever related.  I can bypass this by letting clutch out the first time slowly but sometimes a mile or so down the road with the first quick start it might happen but never again while riding.

J

I had a similar problem with my FJR. Some of the plates were sticking to each other. An overnight soak cured it.

my wife recently complained about a noise from the clutch when cold on her 20i5 FZ-07. She says it only does it once as she pulls out of the driveway. I changed the oil recently and didn't find anything unusual in the oil. She isn't too worried about it as her 04 Monster 1000S made a similar noise, but it had a dry clutch.

• Like 1

When the bike is cold (overnight before first starting), I get my gear on and ready to leave and then before firing up the engine, I snick it into 1st and with the clutch pulled in, thumb the starter and fire up the bike

Apart from a small lurch forward (cold dragging clutch), the bike fires right up and the clutch/gearbox is quiet

I then ride off, no warming up and ride the bike gently for the first 5 miles to warm all the components up

I find that all my Yamaha bikes suffer from clutch drag and the T700 is no different to the others I have

47 minutes ago, JB700 said:

I find that all my Yamaha bikes suffer from clutch drag and the T700 is no different to the others I have

This is good to hear. But bad that it's the only bike I've ever had that did/does this.

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

I've had the same issue too. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. Only when cold, and it always seems to work just fine after warming up. Eventually when I replace the clutch I'll have a look and see if there's anything more than regular wear going on. Coming up on 40k kilometres and its all good. 

• Like 1

Took mine out again the other day in mid-40s F temps, and for the first time that I can remember the clutch did not make the noise when letting it out after the initial cold engine start. Go figure...

While like everyone else I wish the clutch never made this noise, based upon all the responses I'm satisfied it's nothing to be concerned about so thanks all.  

• Like 2

On 12/21/2021 at 6:23 PM, norton73 said:

my wife recently complained about a noise from the clutch when cold on her 20i5 FZ-07. She says it only does it once as she pulls out of the driveway. I changed the oil recently and didn't find anything unusual in the oil. She isn't too worried about it as her 04 Monster 1000S made a similar noise, but it had a dry clutch.

On 1/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, DuncMan said:

Mine does the same but having owned many Harleys I thought nothing of it. 😀

It is funny how experience changes our views.  I had a friend who would fret about any unusual noise from his FJR.  I told him if he rode my Guzzi and heard the cacophony, he wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Dan M said:

cacophony

I have added that to my "Word of the Day" calendar.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Following up on my earlier post; I was experiencing this issue of clutch noise upon first go in morning. (ONLY on the first go of morning). 

I changed oil, and no more slipping rattling clutch. I will pay attention to this as the oil gets more mileage on it.

• Thanks 1

I had my dealer replace clutch and he noticed outside plates were scorched? I'm not hard on clutches. Dealer thought mabe not enough free play

in cable? No issues since clutch replacement.