Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Off-the-Road levers

Totti

Question

Does anyone have any experience about the clutch and brake levers sold by Off The Road in Germany? 

They interest me because they are adjustable and foltable. The price looks reasonable, but are they any good? 

Link:

brake-clutch-lever-brems-hebel-kupplungs

Brake- clutch lever set, foldable and length adjustable, Yamaha Tenere 700 - Precisely machined billet clutch and...

Edited by Totti
typo
  • Like 1

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

On 4/17/2020 at 8:37 AM, Gpk183 said:

I have MZS levers on the t7 and they are brilliant. I got the MT07 ones and they fit straight on. I got expensive brand name levers for my drz and although they are good too there is no difference. There is no chance of any lever breaking under normal use regardless of where it is made and if they break in a fall it means that your hand guard didn't do its job. 

Also worth noting that most of the brand name stuff is made in China too and that isn't a bad thing anymore. The manafacturing there can be as good as any other country. 

20200228_173528.jpg

20200228_172335.jpg

Hi Gpk183

Where did you get these MZS levers and, if you don’t mind me asking, how much did you pay?

I tried looking on Amazon just now but got the following message for a UK delivery – “Currently, there are no sellers that can deliver this item to your location”

• Like 1

I got them from Amazon Uk a couple of months ago so the seller must be out of stock. You could send the people in the US an email and see if they have any other stock in europe?

https://www.mzstuning.com/?make=9796&model=11750&year_id=11753&post_type=product&action=vpf-search

Either way these are obviously being made in Asia and you will generally find that there is an identical product for sale under different branding close at hand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 007erenet said:

Hi Gpk183

Where did you get these MZS levers and, if you don’t mind me asking, how much did you pay?

I tried looking on Amazon just now but got the following message for a UK delivery – “Currently, there are no sellers that can deliver this item to your location”

They look the same as lextek... I've got mine from them but they only did mt07 levers back then.. Might have changed by now.. Check them out as well. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 12:54 PM, Cruizin said:

I use ASV levers on my dirtbikes. They last and are customizable. At the motorcross track alot of guys use these

asvc6_clutch_leverw_pro_perch_red.jpg

All ASV C6 levers feature a special pivot design that allows the lever to fold out of harms way in the event of a crash or tip-over. Instead of bendin…

Got my ASV clutch lever today!

I have these RSC levers on my WR250R and they are amazing. Makes the clutch pull super light and increases the friction point pull distance. Feels just like a hydraulic clutch lever. They work on the Tenere and makes the clutch pull so much better. 

AB5BB4EF-A7A7-4590-86A2-F499BEE10F0C.jpe

Home of the RSC clutch lever. The RSC lever has become the worldwide standard in billet easy pull clutch levers. Check out the newly introduced Trigger series RSC levers! Now available in all new anodized color options AND two finish choices.....the raw machined anodized finish, and the tumbled anodized finish. Do it.

On 6/23/2020 at 9:41 PM, Cruizin said:

Did you get the MT-07 one? What was the part number? I was sent the cr 545 and its the wrong one.

Someone reported that the asv levers are not compatible with barkbusters handguards.

On 6/24/2020 at 12:41 AM, Cruizin said:

Do you mind sharing a model #?  Also, where did you buy from?  Thanks!

I got the cheap Chinese flip up / adjustable levers (I think same ones that fit on MT-07's).

They do alright. Fitment is superb but they're just kind of...idk, bulky? Feels like I'm grabbing a block of cheese. Kind of like the feeling of the rounded OEM levers..

• Like 1

Yes I agree. When I was at the Yamaha Tenere experience we did a lot of technical sections needing a lot of clutch control. The clutch lever it too long. I will either spend yet more money on some after-market levers or chop a section out and use aluminium welding rod to fit the end ball back on. 

Edited by Electric biker

On 10/24/2019 at 9:07 AM, norcal616 said:

For me- I have used similar "breakaway" style levers but ultimately went back to OEM as they are cheap to replace and most days "off road" I carry a spare set...  Only change I do is cut the rounded ball end off and I do make sure the lever housing is just loose enough to spin in case I do crash or to change the angle to suit riding such as standing up or sitting down... 

Ultimately I think it comes down to personal preference, some people want all 4 fingers on the clutch, me I only need my middle finger on the clutch lever, the other fingers stay on the bar... The fingers that stay on the handlebar act as a indication to me I have engaged the clutch enough to shift/slip clutch when the lever taps my fingers... 

When using the OEM cluth lever with two fingers, pulling it on top of your other fingers. Is that enough to let the clutch release completely? I want to say yes because the bike idles as in neutral when I do, but I want to be sure (not the most mechanically inclined person). Dont want to ruin the clutch/gears by now having a full release when shift. Thanks!

Edited by JayD

One of our very own Forum Supporting Vendor's  Stoltec Moto has ASV Shorty or regular unbreakable levers for $90 USD ea or $180 USD for a pair.

https://stoltecmoto.com/shop/yamaha/tenere700/20-tenere-700-asv-adjustable-unbreakable-levers/

image001.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2020 at 2:09 AM, al700 said:

Someone reported that the asv levers are not compatible with barkbusters handguards.

This is true. I tried and the lever housing pops out way too far for the "made for T7" barkbusters to be installed. Hoping I can send them back because they were pricey!!

1 hour ago, BoulderBret said:

This is true. I tried and the lever housing pops out way too far for the "made for T7" barkbusters to be installed. Hoping I can send them back because they were pricey!!

@BoulderBret I had the same problem; it can be overcome by inserting a longer bolt and an aluminium tube spacer to push the handguards further away from the handlebars and give sufficient clearance for the ASV levers. I sourced these locally but I believe you can also buy a kit from Barkbusters with the same parts. I will add a photo tomorrow to illustrate the fix.

8 minutes ago, Heedcase said:

@BoulderBret I had the same problem; it can be overcome by inserting a longer bolt and an aluminium tube spacer to push the handguards further away from the handlebars and give sufficient clearance for the ASV levers. I sourced these locally but I believe you can also buy a kit from Barkbusters with the same parts. I will add a photo tomorrow to illustrate the fix.

@HeedcaseThank you!! Look forward to the pictures. Bret

Edited by BoulderBret

8 hours ago, BoulderBret said:

@HeedcaseThank you!! Look forward to the pictures. Bret

@HeedcaseIt looks like Barkbuster offers 10, 20 & 30 mm spacers. Let me know what length worked for you. Thanks again. Bret

@BoulderBretSee the photos attached; the clearance from lever to handguard looks small but is in fact about 10mm.

My spacers are about 15mm long, any longer and the handguards would touch the instrument panel at full lock BUT note that this is because my handguard spines are deformed inwards due to several hard hits; I'm pretty sure 20mm would be ideal with a set of new handguards unmodified by my driving habits  😉

2021-03-31 07.00.06.jpg

2021-03-31 06.59.48.jpg

2021-03-31 06.59.31.jpg

2021-03-31 07.00.21.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heedcase said:

@BoulderBretSee the photos attached; the clearance from lever to handguard looks small but is in fact about 10mm.

My spacers are about 15mm long, any longer and the handguards would touch the instrument panel at full lock BUT note that this is because my handguard spines are deformed inwards due to several hard hits; I'm pretty sure 20mm would be ideal with a set of new handguards unmodified by my driving habits  😉

2021-03-31 07.00.06.jpg

2021-03-31 06.59.48.jpg

2021-03-31 06.59.31.jpg

2021-03-31 07.00.21.jpg

@Heedcasethis is super helpful. 20mm it is. Now when are we touring Thailand? I used to dirt bike/dual sport in Japan when I lived in the Fukushima mountains. Super fun time.

Pretty sure off the road ones are raximos. Checked some levers at louis.de and they are identical imo.

Edited by SKunn

Anyone just cut the OEM clutch lever down to 2 finger length?

Photos and measurements?

Thanks

32 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Anyone just cut the OEM clutch lever down to 2 finger length?

Photos and measurements?

Thanks

Grab it and see what length you feel comfortable, mark it and cut it.
When in doubt leave it a bit longer and cut it a bit more when you think it needs a bit shorter.

• Like 1