Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Real off road tyres

Rich TT

A tyre thread. Cue millions of responses!

My question is has anybody fitted proper 80/20 off road tyres for British green-laning in the slop/mud/slippy rocks?

If so, what would you recommend/not recommend.

I've looked at various tyres, but the 150 rear limits some things.

I'm tempted by Maxxis E-07 rear and C-17 front and then they is the classic MT21 and Motaz Tractionator Desert HT rear (altough only comes in 140 max) and Enduro S/T front. Plus a zillion others no doubt.

Real world testing comments on this bike welcome.

I'm not too fussed about on road handling, other than not being lethal.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

This is what we found at German KTM Forum for 790 ADV R

Not all 80/20 but all 150 rear:

Metzeler Karoo 3

Michelin Anakee Wild

Mitas E-07+

Mitas E-09

Anlas CapraX_Speedindex T

TKC 80_Speedindex Q
Battlax Adventurecross AX41_Speedindex Q
GT 723_Speedindex H

MotoZ Tractinator RallZ_Speedindex Q

MotoZ Tractinator Adventure_Speedindex Q

Cheers

Martin

2 hours ago, bikeever said:

This is what we found at German KTM Forum for 790 ADV R

Not all 80/20 but all 150 rear:

Metzeler Karoo 3

Michelin Anakee Wild

Mitas E-07+

Mitas E-09

Anlas CapraX_Speedindex T

TKC 80_Speedindex Q
Battlax Adventurecross AX41_Speedindex Q
GT 723_Speedindex H

MotoZ Tractinator RallZ_Speedindex Q

MotoZ Tractinator Adventure_Speedindex Q

Cheers

Martin

That's a great summary thanks.

Have you tried any of these in the conditions I mentioned and any winners and losers?

I'm tempted by the Tractionator RallZ.  They get great reviews on YouTube and other places plus good on road apparently.

Edited by Rich TT

I have fitted the new Goldentyre GT823, which is the new update of their GT723 dakar tyre but designed to hold bigger weights. Great off road, front hooks up almost like an Enduro. Haven't tested it on mud or Grass yet. 

On tarmac they are a surprisingly enough for touring but like every knobbie, it howls. We'll see the milage with time. Have yet to try them on wet tarmac. 

Screenshot_2019-10-16-20-13-54-600_com.miui.gallery.png

Screenshot_2019-10-16-20-06-28-874_com.miui.gallery.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Rich TT I would go and ask the locals. Having no better idea and the Midlands were in my mind I used them for searching: 'Midland green lining tires' resulted in 

As title says...what are the best tyres for green laning. I have a ktm 350 exc-f. Some friends say Michelin ac10 what are your verdicts..wanting

or these guys: 

Hello peeps, apologies if this is a :ronno thread, I did try a search first..... I have a Yamaha TTR 250 which I use for green laning with the Herts TRF. The green laning trips are about 70% road, 30% trails, with the trails a mix of gravel and muddy ruts. I currently have a Mitas C19 on the front and C02 on the back, now with a couple of...

I think they know, depending of your region, what is most suitable. If you are free of load and speed index and not bound to the road legal dimensions, you can use the broad and cheap offers of your local tyre dealer.

The shown Goldentyre looks a little like a hard and stone orientated tyre. Similar to a Pirelli MT21 which is a good allrounder with deficits in super wet wet and mud. I like him on my EXC, even it is an 'old' tyre (produced for more than ten years), due his abilities for 'a lot quiet good, not everything special'.

But the pity is, you will only find it in a 140 width. You look to the Australiens, there is quiet every Tenere 700 presentation with a very knobby tyre, and on the rear you will find the 140 size.

The table above from the KTM Forum show mostly road legal tyres, which all will fail in the mud. The Tenere is still a 200 kg bike and you need a lot of tracking and guiding in the front, that will be given by a wide open knobby only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hombacher said:

@Rich TT I would go and ask the locals. Having no better idea and the Midlands were in my mind I used them for searching: 'Midland green lining tires' resulted in 

As title says...what are the best tyres for green laning. I have a ktm 350 exc-f. Some friends say Michelin ac10 what are your verdicts..wanting

or these guys: 

Hello peeps, apologies if this is a :ronno thread, I did try a search first..... I have a Yamaha TTR 250 which I use for green laning with the Herts TRF. The green laning trips are about 70% road, 30% trails, with the trails a mix of gravel and muddy ruts. I currently have a Mitas C19 on the front and C02 on the back, now with a couple of...

I think they know, depending of your region, what is most suitable. If you are free of load and speed index and not bound to the road legal dimensions, you can use the broad and cheap offers of your local tyre dealer.

The shown Goldentyre looks a little like a hard and stone orientated tyre. Similar to a Pirelli MT21 which is a good allrounder with deficits in super wet wet and mud. I like him on my EXC, even it is an 'old' tyre (produced for more than ten years), due his abilities for 'a lot quiet good, not everything special'.

But the pity is, you will only find it in a 140 width. You look to the Australiens, there is quiet every Tenere 700 presentation with a very knobby tyre, and on the rear you will find the 140 size.

The table above from the KTM Forum show mostly road legal tyres, which all will fail in the mud. The Tenere is still a 200 kg bike and you need a lot of tracking and guiding in the front, that will be given by a wide open knobby only.

Thanks for this. The problem is that these are very light-weight bikes. I have a KTM 525EXC and it weighs 115kg and I run Mitas/Maxxis etc. in 120 rear width.

I can't or wouldn't want to run these on the Tenere. Wrong spec, pure motocross derived, not desiged for high speed road etc. 

My question is about real world T7 experience for grippy off road tyres that work in the British weather and mud/wet (see original post). Some of the tyres posted above will work in the mud. It's never going to handle like my 525, but it could easily better than on the OEM tyres.

Thanks and appreciated.

Rich

• Like 1

From tires mentioned above I've tried TCK 80, Mitas E-07, Mitas E-09, Mitas C-02. I've used them on Dr650 rear wheel. So, for off road riding the best of them is C-02, even in wet conditions you can have full control of traction, but there is no size for T7. Then I'll put E-09 on the list, durable, with good grip on dry surfaces, 150/70 18 available. Than TKC 80, I was satisfied with it, but it's more expensive than Mitas. And the last tire for off road I would take E-07. 

Half of my T7 OEM tire is used so probably I'll buy Mitas E-09 just after the wintertime.

9 hours ago, slawmir said:

From tires mentioned above I've tried TCK 80, Mitas E-07, Mitas E-09, Mitas C-02. I've used them on Dr650 rear wheel. So, for off road riding the best of them is C-02, even in wet conditions you can have full control of traction, but there is no size for T7. Then I'll put E-09 on the list, durable, with good grip on dry surfaces, 150/70 18 available. Than TKC 80, I was satisfied with it, but it's more expensive than Mitas. And the last tire for off road I would take E-07. 

Half of my T7 OEM tire is used so probably I'll buy Mitas E-09 just after the wintertime.

Thanks for this and really helpful.

I run a C-02 on my 525EXC and have done for years. Great off road tyre and acceptable on road too.

I'm leaning towards the E-09 or the Tractionator RallZ, so good to know.

Cheers

Rich

I'm in the USA, so I obviously have no experience with this bike. But I have had good experience with the Dunlop D606 tires in the past. Had them on my DRZ400 and my old trusty Honda 650. Tough sidewalls so you can drop the air pressure off road and traditional knobs for traction. They are certified DOT here in the USA so they are legal on the road and provide a surprising amount of miles and longevity for a knobby tire.

They are my favorite dual sport tire. 

2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I'm in the USA, so I obviously have no experience with this bike. But I have had food experience with the Dunlop D606 tires in the past. Had them on my DRZ400 and my old trusty Honda 650. Tough sidewalls so you can drop the air pressure off road and traditional knobs for traction. They are certified DOT here in the USA so they are legal on the road and provide a surprising amount of miles and longevity for a knobby tire.

Hey Cruizin. The main man!

Thanks for this and great to know thanks.

Had a DRZ400E for years. Cracking machine and also the air cooled XR600  1987 imported from the US that had been breathed on. Also an awesome machine and v. powerful but the brakes were lethal.

But I digress, thanks and I will look up that tyre 

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Hey Cruizin. The main man!

Thanks for this and great to know thanks.

Had a DRZ400E for years. Cracking machine and also the air cooled XR600  1987 imported from the US that had been breathed on. Also an awesome machine and v. powerful but the brakes were lethal.

But I digress, thanks and I will look up that tyre 

Cheers

Rich

I had a 600 too and that bike was scary fast after I modded the carb and exhaust. It was also a bit tall for me, had to lean to the side whenever I stopped. And yes, the brakes were complete dogshet. Nice engine though. 

1 minute ago, Cruizin said:

I had a 600 too and that bike was scary fast after I modded the carb and exhaust. It was also a bit tall for me, had to lean to the side whenever I stopped. And yes, the brakes were complete dogshet. Nice engine though. 

Great engine. Mine was the twin carb model. It had a supertrapp exhaust and fancy air filter with imported desert flora! Honestly a fantastic engine. A bitch to kick up when it was warm mind. It was proper fast. Took it to the TT races in 93 and 94 and thrashed it round there surprising the sportsbikes.

I think you'll like the T7. It's a great bike, it really is on do many levels. Yamaha took there time and got it so right.

Just now, Rich TT said:

Great engine. Mine was the twin carb model. It had a supertrapp exhaust and fancy air filter with imported desert flora! Honestly a fantastic engine. A bitch to kick up when it was warm mind. It was proper fast. Took it to the TT races in 93 and 94 and thrashed it round there surprising the sportsbikes.

I think you'll like the T7. It's a great bike, it really is on do many levels. Yamaha took there time and got it so right.

I look forward to getting one and suspect that I will mod mine all to heck. It may not even look like a T7 when I get done with it. It will make it as light as humanly possible.

4 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

I look forward to getting one and suspect that I will mod mine all to heck. It may not even look like a T7 when I get done with it. It will make it as light as humanly possible.

Like your thinking. Done quite a bit to mine already abd taken a lot of weight off it. Remap is on the cards plus I have a mission to get some supermoto wheels on it. I reckon it will be ace. Two bikes in one😎

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 2:37 AM, Cruizin said:

I'm in the USA, so I obviously have no experience with this bike. But I have had good experience with the Dunlop D606 tires in the past. Had them on my DRZ400 and my old trusty Honda 650. Tough sidewalls so you can drop the air pressure off road and traditional knobs for traction. They are certified DOT here in the USA so they are legal on the road and provide a surprising amount of miles and longevity for a knobby tire.

But they do not come in a big enough size for the T7 rear? 130/90 - 18 being the widest.

On 10/29/2019 at 5:52 PM, Rich TT said:

That's a great summary thanks.

Have you tried any of these in the conditions I mentioned and any winners and losers?

I'm tempted by the Tractionator RallZ.  They get great reviews on YouTube and other places plus good on road apparently.

I've got a set of the RallZ on mine, they are fantastic off-road. I've only ridden on E-07s previously so don't have a wealth of experience on different tyres but I'm really happy with them. Bit vibey on the road but that's what you get!

20191019_082617.jpg

• Like 2

9to5adv.com

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

I've got a set of the RallZ on mine, they are fantastic off-road. I've only ridden on E-07s previously so don't have a wealth of experience on different tyres but I'm really happy with them. Bit vibey on the road but that's what you get!

20191019_082617.jpg

Great to know James and thanks. I'll probably get some of those soon. Your bike is looking exactly like what it's supposed to be used for. Great stuff.

Rich

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2019 at 6:32 AM, JamesE said:

20191019_082617.jpg

Interested to know how you're getting on with the RallZ's James? Still really pleased off road?

Cheers Rich

I am coming off KTM 950 Adventure bikes (~10yrs between two). My personal favorite is the Dunlop 606 upfront and the Dunlop 908 in the rear. I ride mostly off road here in Canada and they have been great.

• Like 3

James 2021 Tenere 700 - Black

23 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Interested to know how you're getting on with the RallZ's James? Still really pleased off road?

Cheers Rich

Really enjoying them. First, they make the bike look really rugged!

Off-road they are fantastic, really makes the bike feel really capable and they're about as good as you'll get in the mud.

On the road they're fine. Obviously the more knobbly you go, the worse they are on the road. They're quite vibey, and I did have a little slip on the back wheel when accelerating out of a corner too fast. But overall, a great tyre.

The E-07s were a bit better on the road and a bit slippier off-road, but that was on my Tiger 800 so they may be better on the Tenere.

• Like 1

9to5adv.com

9 hours ago, JamesE said:

Really enjoying them. First, they make the bike look really rugged!

Off-road they are fantastic, really makes the bike feel really capable and they're about as good as you'll get in the mud.

On the road they're fine. Obviously the more knobbly you go, the worse they are on the road. They're quite vibey, and I did have a little slip on the back wheel when accelerating out of a corner too fast. But overall, a great tyre.

The E-07s were a bit better on the road and a bit slippier off-road, but that was on my Tiger 800 so they may be better on the Tenere.

Great to know and thanks James. I think that's made my mind up once the OEM tyres are toast.

Went out on the KTM today and not sure I would have fancied it on the T7.

IMG_20191227_115520.jpg

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

IMG-20191227-WA0018.jpg

Proper wet mud lol

16 minutes ago, X Plane said:

Proper wet mud lol

It was. Bit of an endurance ride but loved every minute. Now chilling with beer number 3 at home!

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Rich TT said:

It was. Bit of an endurance ride but loved every minute. Now chilling with beer number 3 at home!

Good stuff 😁. Number 3 is always the gem one 😉.

• Like 2