Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenerider's T7

Tenerider

7 hours ago, Tenerider said:

She's here 😍

20220314_161608.thumb.jpg.98006dce07b8f15e5023d2c011652ff2.jpg20220314_163539.thumb.jpg.5405fc609a44dbd24865964c5839172b.jpg20220314_161622.thumb.jpg.a565dc5f636f054b03b49100691cefe6.jpg

Acerbis X-Factors and OEM knee pads are still on backorder.

My first ride was overwhelming. Very nice and tame engine, unless you kick her a little bit. Since I'm a total beginner, this is very welcome.

Gotta get used to her slow speed handling, but it's better than expected. Flat footing no problem for me.

Well it's about time.  And on time for spring riding.  No complaining.  Did you put the exhaust and all the other stuff on or did it come with it?

@LandsharkSorry mate, must have overlooked your post!

It came with all that stuff, had the dealer install it.

Usually, I'm doing stuff like that in my own. But this would have slowed things down quite a bit, and I need her for my riding lessons.

Just covered her generously in ACF-50.

Wow this stuff really creeps well.

Didn't remove the side panels, hope it will work anyway.

I may be overcautious, but is this stuff a problem on the plastics?

I had the footpegs and wheels covered of course - plus did I wrap the calipers and disks in plastic foil, since I will be treating the spokes and rims as well (using a rag, not spraying it).

By the way: As far as I can tell, my French '21 bike has a black painted fuel tank. We'll see how well it holds up against the elements.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

400 km: Checked and adjusted chain tension (was 65 mm, now roughly 52mm on center stand)

Installed rally seat, Acerbis X-Factors, side grip pads

Rear preload: 20 klicks (+10 from default) give me 60mm sag, weight with gear is 85kg.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

700 km: Fork air bleed valves and dual USB charger/voltmeter installed.

950 km: Camel ADV Heavy Duty Side Stand Return Spring installed.

• Like 2

950 km: Dark spots on rear spokes after thorough cleaning visible. Only dry roads, spokes had been wiped lightly with ACF-50 at around 120 km ODO.

• Like 1

My spokes went a few thousand KM's largely fine, but then suddenly where not.  *shrugs*  Seems like mine where coated, but not very well.  It's definitely a common problem, but frankly it's not one I really care about - my T7 is always really dirty anyways 🙂  Maybe eventually replace them with either powdercoated or (quality) stainless spokes, but meh.

While you're waiting for back ordered good tank grips, the Aliexpress cheap ones work pretty well and are, well, cheap.

If you have an issue with the comfort of the seat (and the Rally seat, like the stock seat, is not particularly comfortable) what I've found works very well is the Mad Dog ATV seat cover.   It's really cheap on Amazon, and is surprisingly comfortable.  Can't compare with the "Sheepies" the UK guys run, as I've never found anywhere to get those here and have never sat on a bike with one, but the Mad Dog cover definitely helps: https://www.amazon.com/MadDog-GearComfort-Ride-Seat-Protector/dp/B006JMK7N8/

20220427_195531.jpg.1bd2b8e2113a42ec04add1c7d81d2ca4.jpg20220427_195541.jpg.dc597fffccb761abc258329131769620.jpg

This is on the Seat Concepts Tall Rally seat; on the regular Rally seat it just comes down to the bottom edges of the seat, allowing the tie straps to be fastened to the seat directly instead of how I've strapped them through the frame of the bike.  Tall seat is tall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, DuncMan said:

@TeneriderThe ACF-50 is fine on the plastics mate. I use it to clean the tank and panels and just wipe off the excess with a dry microfibre cloth. 

If the seat is not comfy check out the Cool Covers, too. I'm shocked at how comfy my OEM low seat is now.

They look great; just wish they had ones that would fit the SC seats. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Around 2400 km: Cleaned & re-lubed chain, odd whizzing noise from sprocket area occured.

3100 km: Installed Pivot Pegz MK4

• Tenerider changed the title to Tenerider's T7

Changed compression/rebound settings as follows:

Before:

Fork comp right 12/left 10 clicks (default: 11!), rebound right/left 20 clicks (default: 17!)

Rear shock comp 15, rebound 13 (both same as default), preload 20 (default 10)

Now:

Fork comp 8 clicks (want to have a firmer front on braking and on the road), rebound 17.

Rear: unchanged

As others have pointed out, don't trust the "stock" settings, since they might differ from official stock settings 😉

• 1 month later...

4900 km:

Acerbis X-Grip frame protectors installed.

Added Kedo rear rack.

Zip-tied stainless steel mesh to the plastic fins for added radiator protection.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2022 at 3:00 AM, Tenerider said:

4900 km:

Acerbis X-Grip frame protectors installed.

Added Kedo rear rack.

Zip-tied stainless steel mesh to the plastic fins for added radiator protection.

Do you have a pic of those Acerbis frame protectors? Just curious how they look on your build

Just now, TheoremX said:

Do you have a pic of those Acerbis frame protectors? Just curious how they look on your build

Sure mate! Not the best point of view, but I hope it helps. Acerbis red generally comes quite close to the T7's red (and I'm REALLY picky about color matching).

20220922_170757.jpg.2cfb4a5e373f65f50232efa4df123288.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Sure mate! Not the best point of view, but I hope it helps. Acerbis red generally comes quite close to the T7's red (and I'm REALLY picky about color matching).

20220922_170757.jpg.2cfb4a5e373f65f50232efa4df123288.jpg

Sweeeeet, thanks for the response! Looks awesome on there, that’ll be the same color I get, going the black/red scheme, glad to hear the shade is right, hope it lines up with what I already have.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

7059 km: Oil change (10W40 Liqui Moly Offroad)

Whatever "offroad oil" is 😂...

Wanted to do this around 5000 km, but somehow forgot it.

Back then I still had some minor shifting issues which have meanwhile disappeared anyway.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

(10W40 Liqui Moly Offroad)

Not to give you nightmares, but they used to say NOT to use oil with Molybdenum in it!

Maybe that is just my old-guy brain remembering crap from 50 years ago....

image.png.1f36378a0702cf9b3a97501b77e39d09.png

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I think they improved the additives formula by now, in motorcycle oil for motorcycles with wet clutches they add friction modifiers.
It's actually a strange concept if you think about it, you use oil to reduce friction and then you add stuff in it to improve friction.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Not to give you nightmares, but they used to say NOT to use oil with Molybdenum in it!

Maybe that is just my old-guy brain remembering crap from 50 years ago....

image.png.1f36378a0702cf9b3a97501b77e39d09.png

"Liqui Moly" is a famous German oil/lubricant company - no worries, the oil I used is JASO MA2 compliant.

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/gb/motorbike-4t-10w-40-offroad-p003116.html#3056

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

7095 km: Installed Tractive Suspension Extreme Pro rear shock (+25mm travel).

20230104_150734.jpg.c37e27a877f13df1502d7719463d4a6e.jpg

Some minor issues: Hepco&Becker centerstand rubs the chain now when the shock is fully extended. Need to add a bigger bumper so the stand doesn't fold too far up.

The rear wheel now *just* touches the ground on the centerstand. When the fork is being compressed a bit, the rear wheel spins freely. Easily done with a strap.

The rebound adjustment is covered by the dogbones when the rear is unloaded (and also on the sidestand). This is annoying, probably need to strap the rear down a lot to adjust rebound. Not easy alone on the trail.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 10:59 AM, Tenerider said:

The rebound adjustment is covered by the dogbones when the rear is unloaded (and also on the sidestand). This is annoying, probably need to strap the rear down a lot to adjust rebound. Not easy alone on the trail.

I found the easiest solution to this is to remove the rear dogbone bolt and swing the dogbone out of the way.  It only takes a minute and you have full access to the adjuster.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

I found the easiest solution to this is to remove the rear dogbone bolt and swing the dogbone out of the way.  It only takes a minute and you have full access to the adjuster.

Thanks, also thought of this. But being a bit anal about tightening torques, it would be a bit annoying on the road.

I might have found a solution, once it arrives I'll post a followup here.

Solution found:

20230106_110654.jpg.ee54979f6178d2c3f4e5b36471cf0caf.jpg

Wera 950 PKLS 4

Of course you could grind/cut down a normal allen wrench...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Thanks, also thought of this. But being a bit anal about tightening torques, it would be a bit annoying on the road.

I'm more worried about locktite on that bolt than torque, but you need to do what feels right to you.  Let us know how the short allen key works. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hollybrook said:

I'm more worried about locktite on that bolt than torque, but you need to do what feels right to you.  Let us know how the short allen key works. 

Works fine! The fit is very tight, actually not as smooth as expected (having several other hex wrenches from Wera).

Length of the short arm is perfect.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

7373 km:

Tractive Xtreme Pro +25mm cartridge installed (6.4 N/mm springs). Used two 5mm preload spacers, sag is 60mm (might remove one spacer again, but only checked it in the garage and with no riding gear). Preload can be still adjusted externally on the caps later.

Air chamber 122mm.

Fork bushings and seals replaced (SKF oil and dust seals).

Fork leg height: 12mm measured from top clamp.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.