Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Why Do We Buy The Tenere700?

Burnsey

On 1/18/2022 at 8:53 PM, Hammerhead said:

Main reasons in no particular order;

- simplicity & lack of electronic wizardry  

- CP2 engine. What good is a motorcycle without a quality usable power plant.

- low maintenance Japanese reliability 

- value for money. Ya there’s plenty of room for improvement,

but out of the box it’s a great machine for it’s cost. 
  - it just looks right & doesn’t try to be something it isn’t. 

My reasons too. It just does it. 

• Like 3

After exploring all the dirt roads in my county on my KLX, I decided I needed something that could explore dirt roads farther away from home.  T7 felt like the right choice at the right time.

• Like 3

Bit of a weird change for me. I have had only road bikes, and I will admit I scoffed AND looked down on dirt bike riders, I thought I was better than them. Which I look back in sadness because it was silly. I was browsing r/Motorcycles and seen this random youtube link posted

And the moment I saw those two headlights coming towards the camera at the start I was totally ensnared by the sound, the flexibility, the ability to go "ah screw it, lets see whats over there", Then I found the pol tarres videos and oh my lord. Those two instantly converted me and my bike felt so vanilla, I wanted a T7. I even practiced riding while standing just to see what it felt like.

I hated hitting gravel on road tires and going "hello jesus, its me, I am not ready today, please don't take me yet."

Now I have my T7 and I have never EVER had such a Shet-eating grin from doing boring tasks just riding around. I can go just about anywhere and all I want to do is get better and ride this bike how it deserves to be.

Absolutely smitten with this bike still.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Spike4379 said:

Now I have my T7 and I have never EVER had such a Shet-eating grin from doing boring tasks just riding around. I can go just about anywhere and all I want to do is get better and ride this bike how it deserves to be.

Yep....Like yerself, I came around to ''the style'' after decades of riding sports bikes.

On my 4th more dual-purpose jobbie now and the T7, when it eventually reaches me will be my 5th.

What a great place to ride @Spike4379

I visited my daughter and family back in 2008.

While we were there I hired a bike (Honda VFR800) and toured your country.

It remains one of my biking life hi-lites.

Only one sour note was a speeding fine that followed me home to Ireland!

• Haha 1

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

I bought It because my Brother have one. I had a '15 XT660ZA I sold It two years ago. I'm glad to buy It but honesty the bike from my brother it's better than mine. Both are '21 T7. His suspensions feels better than my bike. In fact mine has a noise front suspension. If I turn off rebound/preload on front the noise is off. Yamaha dealers in my area are so bad. In fact I never Will buy a Yamaha motorcicle again. I'm Sorry if I ofence someone but just are my thoughts.

1 hour ago, Toppie said:

Yep....Like yerself, I came around to ''the style'' after decades of riding sports bikes.

On my 4th more dual-purpose jobbie now and the T7, when it eventually reaches me will be my 5th.

What a great place to ride @Spike4379

I visited my daughter and family back in 2008.

While we were there I hired a bike (Honda VFR800) and toured your country.

It remains one of my biking life hi-lites.

Only one sour note was a speeding fine that followed me home to Ireland!

Aye it's the best bike type to ride, all the power, all the fun, and all the reliability.

Australia is a good place to ride, seeing as im pretty new to this type of riding finding places that aren't gated is pretty god damn hard. There's some land being developed about 1km away from me thats just all dirt so I might go have my first real play this weekend.

Glad you enjoyed it here! Sucks about the ticket though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spike4379 said:

Bit of a weird change for me. I have had only road bikes, and I will admit I scoffed AND looked down on dirt bike riders, I thought I was better than them. Which I look back in sadness because it was silly. I was browsing r/Motorcycles and seen this random youtube link posted

And the moment I saw those two headlights coming towards the camera at the start I was totally ensnared by the sound, the flexibility, the ability to go "ah screw it, lets see whats over there", Then I found the pol tarres videos and oh my lord. Those two instantly converted me and my bike felt so vanilla, I wanted a T7. I even practiced riding while standing just to see what it felt like.

I hated hitting gravel on road tires and going "hello jesus, its me, I am not ready today, please don't take me yet."

Didn't know this video.

If I hadn't ordered a T7 yet, I'd have done it now immediately after watching.

I have had a few bigger adv bikes over the years. 2-R100gs's, F650Dakar, Klr650 and the last was a Super Tenere.  I enjoyed the Super Tenere and it was a great bike for putting on big hwy miles or exploring gravel/logging roads.  

An injury a few years back left me with a nice long piece of titanium in my leg and around a dozen screws holding it together.  The leg has never recovered to full strength and in truth I just don't trust it fully some days.  The weight of the Super Tenere and a bum leg were the biggest factors pushing to a lighter bike.

So I wanted something lighter, but still capable for road trips if I go away for a few days, but lighter for the everyday commuting and exploring gravel/logging roads.

I looked at an Africa twin, but for a few reasons I am just not a Honda fan.  KTM are a no go, because of a past experience with the brand.  I held off purchasing a T7 when I saw all the teaser info from Kawi.   I thought there might be something modern from Kawi, but when they unveiled basically the same bike I decided to find a T7.

Always been a Yamaha fan.  First road race bike was a R6 and any Yamaha street bikes have always been reliable.  I wanted something reliable, which means Japanese.  Wanted a dealer nearby, which means Japanese.  Honda, Suzuki, don't have anything I would consider in the same category. 

Really happy with the T7.  There are days when it's weight still gives issue to the leg, but I just try to take it easy and not get in over my head.  Last thing I need is to damage the leg again.

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 4

On 1/26/2022 at 11:50 PM, Tenerider said:

Didn't know this video.

If I hadn't ordered a T7 yet, I'd have done it now immediately after watching.

I know right!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm a victim of fantastic marketing, but 99% of the time I don't care because I just love this damn bike.

• Haha 1