Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What Jacket are you wearing ?

Tom_R

On 2/4/2022 at 8:58 PM, sshat said:

Mosko Moto Basilisk. 
Very durable and well thought out piece of gear. Ventilation is great when needed, lock it down for wet weather and stay dry. I’ve always preferred a separate armour system, so the fact that the jacket has none on its own is not an issue. Been sliding in the dirt a few times, washed it off and the jacket didn’t show a scuff. Combine that Mosko’s crash replacement/repair warranty, it’s tough to beat. Fit and finish is top notch (6foot ,205 lbs, wearing a size large over a typical armour top). 

I just got this jacket for christmas from the wife.  Love it so far.  Heated gear works great under it and the wind protection is great when closed up.  Only complaint is the neck sure digs into the adams apple and is then loose on  the back of the neck.  I have to have it partially unzipped all the time.

@Tom_R, did you get your jacket after? For Germany I’d be torn between layers and laminated. What with the awesome summers. For wales I went laminated due to the amount of angels tears we have 😁☔️🌧🌧🌧⛈ to keep us green. Alpinestars Andes v3. Waterproof and well made. But if you were on a trip to Morocco, you’d be sweating. 

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

I’d be torn between layers and laminated

You can have both. The Klim Traverse is laminated but very thin and flexible.
I have a Gerbing heated jacket for the winter to wear underneath but still have the Klim Marakesh for hot days and a Klim Mojave jersey for realy hot days and offroad.
For rainy and/or doubtfull warm days however the Traverse will do just fine.
Edit: I use a Alpine Stars Bionic 2 harness with all of them.

Edited by Ray Ride4life
  • Like 1

I have the original Urbane Pro- perfect for the warmer days with a shirt over the top

im planning on taking it to Cyprus in a week-

i wear retro ‘80’s Belfast I snagged on eBay - really nice jacket- just treated it with some mink oil

46BC8226-ADC8-4A54-898E-74B3A753E995.jpeg

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

@JwpT7 I ride in the AS Atacama Jacket and Mongolia pants. If you are in a hot climate you will love the jacket. It breathes really well. You can put forcefield armor in the jacket, but I wear a forcefield X-V Air shirt underneath.

The mongolia pants are pretty rugged and comfortable, but not as breathable as the jacket. I only put pads in the hip armor pockets, as I ride with knee braces.  The inner leg material is like a vinal which gives good grip, but is not a high end as leather. The pants are not water resistant. If I get in a heavy rain, my butt is wet in about 10 min.

I also have the AS atacama over rain shell, which works great, and klim enduro pullover pants for when I have to ride through heavy rain. 

If you are interested in their gear, note that they occasionally have good sales on black Friday, etc.

Patrick, their US rep, is a really nice guy and actually sent me out several sizes of the gear I was interested in to get the proper fit. 

Overall, I'm really happy with the AS gear.

20211030_160207.thumb.jpg.aa1570b7899d3fb1f7847d79bbe914f1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terra Trek from Fly Racing.  Not fancy, but a great value IMO.

7 hours ago, Butter said:

@JwpT7 I ride in the AS Atacama Jacket and Mongolia pants. If you are in a hot climate you will love the jacket. It breathes really well. You can put forcefield armor in the jacket, but I wear a forcefield X-V Air shirt underneath.

The mongolia pants are pretty rugged and comfortable, but not as breathable as the jacket. I only put pads in the hip armor pockets, as I ride with knee braces.  The inner leg material is like a vinal which gives good grip, but is not a high end as leather. The pants are not water resistant. If I get in a heavy rain, my butt is wet in about 10 min.

I also have the AS atacama over rain shell, which works great, and klim enduro pullover pants for when I have to ride through heavy rain. 

If you are interested in their gear, note that they occasionally have good sales on black Friday, etc.

Patrick, their US rep, is a really nice guy and actually sent me out several sizes of the gear I was interested in to get the proper fit. 

Overall, I'm really happy with the AS gear.

20211030_160207.thumb.jpg.aa1570b7899d3fb1f7847d79bbe914f1.jpg

thanks for the answer, can you say something about the sizes?  I am convinced by the weight and the layers.  I walk a bit in the mountains and the layering system is heavily underestimated in the motorcycle world.

1 hour ago, JwpT7 said:

the layering system is heavily underestimated in the motorcycle world

I'm all about layering but not when it comes to a rain layer, especially when it goes under the jacket.
That means you have to take off your jacket when it's raining  before you can put on the layer that protects you from it.
Klim proves that you can have a lightweight laminated jacket (and pants) and the rest you have to get with layers which i always do because i ride often with various condition during the day. Mostly cold in the morning and hot in the afternoon but also often by elevation differences.

8 hours ago, JwpT7 said:

thanks for the answer, can you say something about the sizes?  I am convinced by the weight and the layers.  I walk a bit in the mountains and the layering system is heavily underestimated in the motorcycle world.

For size reference, I'm 5'9", 43" chest, and 35.5" waist. My atacama jacket is a Large. With the x-v armor shirt underneath the chest measurement is about 45" and the jacket zips a up a little snug. I would go with an XL if your chest is any wider. My rainshell is an XL. You want to go a size up for the next layer. 

My pants are 34R. The klim enduro overpants are 34R.

I agree with Ray Ride4life that the climate you ride in really should dictate what gear you buy. If I lived in a colder and wetter climate, like the PNW, i would choose laminated gear. It's less bulky.

In South Texas laminated gear is just too hot most of the year. Temps here are consistently >90°F. Also, I don't contend with rainy weather too often. So, the waterproof layering works for when I occasionally need it. The rain shell also removes the wind which allows me to ride into temps down to the high 40's comfortably. 

I've been looking to upgrade my KLIM Induction jacket that I've worn for a couple years in the California traffic and desert ADV rides and in the hot and humid rides in my Southeast Asia trips.

I used layers for the cold days and a Columbia EvaPOURation rain jacket over the KLIM in the rain and monsoons/typhoon.

I took off in the early morning hours to go to Manila to beat traffic and didn't hear the on the news that a Typhoon was passing right over me. I was caught out in the open and rode in/through the CAT 5 Typhoon Wutip (115-160 mph recorded winds) in the Philippines that shut down the capital Manila. Other drivers and I ducked under a freeway overpass when the worst passed over us that were caught in the expressway.

I've had two street accidents (vehicles hitting me) with the KLIM Induction jacket, one very minor at low spreed 5 mph and another at 65 mph on the 60 fwy when I got knock across three lanes of freeway traffic. I got away with essential zero injuries. Just some bruised ribs when my Helite T2 airbag vest deployed on the 65 mph crash.

My Kawasaki ADV built up VerSys 650 with crash bars and Barkbusters basically just got a broken front fender, cowling, and cracked upper triple clamp. Bike and I were able to ride home that day, after the Police report was taken. Numerous offroad ADV crashes with no injuries, the Induction jacket (comes with LV 1 armor) and the upgraded Level 2 D3O Aero Pro armor really work!

The KLIM jacket models I was interested in size/color were always out of stock.

When I took my BMW motorcycle to get serviced at IRV Seavers BMW shop in Orange, CA I knew they had recently become one of KLIM's major dealers in California. Chaparral Motorsports did a poor job with the KLIM stock and display.

I picked up a KLIM Badlands Pro (standard with Level 2 D3O Aero Pro armor) and I am loving it thus far. I've worn it in  SOCAL mid 30s winter weather and some rains thus far 100% kept me dry and you just layer up for the cold.

We shall see how it does in the 100+ degree summer desert rides.

klim_badlands_pro_jacket.jpg

Revitalized and ready for adventure touring, the Klim Badlands Pro Jacket can go anywhere you take it.

klim_badlands_pro_jacket_750x750.jpg

klim_badlands_pro_jacket_750x750.jpg

Edited by REDHORSECA
  • Like 1

Alpinestars Andes drystar jacket for spring and fall seasons, pretty good for the price. I’m currently looking for a dry and hot day jacket with greater ventilation, Revit Cayenne pro maybe…

revit sand jacket 

I did have an unintentional dismount last spring in the woods and everything is still in great shape, my hip hit a rock so it wasn't anything that the jacket would have helped with 

Rev'It Sand 3 Mens Textile Motorcycle Jacket Sand/Black 3XL - Walmart.comRev'It Sand 3 Jacket - Sand Black + 免费送货

9 hours ago, ClutchXT said:

revit sand jacket 

I love the pouch in the back. Perfect for bulky stuff.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Klim Baja S4 jacket, still waiting to get the matching pants. I get hot easily and wanted the max ventilation. 

I have a klim badlands and induction jacket. I also have a moose armored shirt with some jerseys for the hot offroad stuff.

• 1 year later...

I'm on the hunt for a new jacket this season, and I'm curious about the one you're wearing! I'm in need of something versatile for all-day wear, commuting, and touring. Any recommendations or insights would be greatly appreciated!

I had a revit sand 4 this summer which is great for hot weather. The

More surprising thing is I'm still wearing it with just the thermal liner

Reckon around 5*c is its limit with just a normal shirt on underneath

With the waterproof liner outside it would do all winter I'm sure 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Klim Carlsbad jacket for the past couple of years and added the pants about 6 months ago. Works for me up to the 90°F range and if I keep moving I can survive triple digits. Ventilation for both pieces is pretty decent,  but nothing beats mesh gear for slow going in the heat.  I would say if one is going to use the Carlsbad for year round riding, size it accordingly to allow for layers and/ or a heated jacket as the shell doesn't provide much warmth.

For really cold stuff ( I define that as below 40°F) I wear my 2 piece Aerostitch with a Warm N Safe heated jacket under my Klim A-1 Rally Airbag vest.  Happy with both setups and fortunate to have both to choose from.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I have three options.

For hot weather, I wear Klim Baja S4 mesh jacket and pants, and pack Klim Enduro S4 shells that are quick to put over the Baja gear for rain or colder weather. This is a setup that I use for longer trips in summer because it is almost like not wearing gear with the amount of air flow. 

I later bought Klim Carlsbad jacket and pants for cold weather riding.  I have found it convenient to only have one layer, and like @AZJW, this gear covers a wide range of temperatures.  I have crash tested the Carlsbad and it held up very well. 

While not a jacket, I do have a one-piece Aerostich suit that I bought used when a good fit popped up on ADVRider.  I only wear this when I go somewhere that requires dress clothing and I don't want to strip in the parking lot. 

I have a Warm N Safe heated jacket that keeps me quite comfortable riding in temperatures below freezing when worn under one of the outer jackets. 

I am hard to fit with long arms and legs, and a short torso.  Klim has become my go-to manufacturer because I can order online and be confident of a good fit. 

• Like 1

I wear the MSR jacket, for most of my adventure riding and bad weather. I wear a vintage Aerostich roadcrafter jacket for most commuting and when I take the tracer out. 

I’m 5’6” and got the MSR in small it’s a bit on the large side, but it’s about right if I wear an insulating layer underneath. (I had planned to get the Klim airbag) the sleeves end about 1.5 inches past my wrist. The shoulders sit about right, though. 

IMG_5305.jpeg

I wore an Aerostich Darien jacket for many years as did my wife, but two years ago after trying on my cousin's new Klim Carlsbad jacket I bought one for myself. 

I love the (to me) innovative and very versatile sleeve venting system of the Carlsbad, and wear it in all conditions on and off road with a heated jacket liner when cold.

Most importantly, like the Darien the Carlsbad meets my requirement of easily "close/open the vents on the fly" when rain is encountered. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wearing Rukka Rimo-R, because no-one here in godforsaken land sells Klim. And not a fan of shopping clothes from the internet. After first seasons not a bad jacket. If it is a real Rukka, the zippers will brake next season.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced