Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rally golden rims painted?

Boyca

Hey guys,

So I've talked about my spokes corroding very hard before on here but something that is in hindsight a lot more worrying is that my rims and especially my rear rim is corroded hard as well. I'm talking about etched in cobweb looking formation that you can feel with your nail. I've tried 0000 steelwool on it and it doesn't even dent it so it's not superficial anymore. The corroded spokes can get nicely cleaned up with the wool but that will be very time consuming. My friend who rides daily came by on his mt07 with red painted rims and they were extremely grimy, I cleaned a patch to check for corrosion on his and it's like brand new from the factory, not a single spec of corrosion to be found.. Then I started wondering, are my golden Rally rims even painted? Or are they simply anodized or something? I already informed for the spokes through warranty but a yamaha dealership told me they wouldn't bring that under warranty. I will visit my sale dealership soon and ask again, especially for the rims. I've seen people here getting a succesful claim for the corrosion on the wheels so how do I argue this in my advantage? I thought yamaha's policy would be globally the same.

Edited by Boyca
  • Like 1

I don't know about the painting vs anodizing, but as for warranty, Yamaha's typical model is that the distributors manage warranty. For instance, Yamaha Canada manages warranty in Canada. Yamaha USA in the US, etc. So, what happens in one jurisdiction, may not happen in another. Not sure how/if that helps your case, unless you can find a successful warranty claim in your home jurisdiction.

I'm really surprised that you have significant corrosion though. Obviously you live in a marine climate.

Good luck!

I think I have Yamaha disease...

It’s a sign of the times I’m afraid, nothing is made like it used to be. A lot of parts seem to be made from either very poor quality Metals or even recycled metal and the finishes are just not as good as they were, even a few years ago. In the UK apparently you can get new spokes on warranty, but whats the point, unless they change them out for stainless steel ones. I was thinking of getting stainless steel replacements and doing the job myself, might buy a new front rim too, a 2.15 x 21 with the tubeless ridge (the rear has it already).

You could get your rims cleaned up a cerakoted, its much more durable than either anodising or powder coat. Or even buy the SM Pro rims or Excel rim in 2.15 and 4.25 as they have the tubeless ridge and are much stronger than the DID rims. 

• Like 2

This is so sad.

One thing is for sure: I'll treat mine with some wax spray which I use on my bicycles for weather protection during the winter time. It's called Dynamic Protective Wax, leaves an invisible and quite durable film (not sticky or so). Works on almost all surfaces.

Forgot to say, the OEM DID rims are anodised, but its not hard anodised so the surface coating is very thin and the alloy isn't that strong either. 

57 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

I don't know about the painting vs anodizing, but as for warranty, Yamaha's typical model is that the distributors manage warranty. For instance, Yamaha Canada manages warranty in Canada. Yamaha USA in the US, etc. So, what happens in one jurisdiction, may not happen in another. Not sure how/if that helps your case, unless you can find a successful warranty claim in your home jurisdiction.

I'm really surprised that you have significant corrosion though. Obviously you live in a marine climate.

Good luck!

I don't live in marine climate at all, but I rode through winter. Always hosed off the bike every week.. literally sub 3 k kilometers on the odo. 

It sucks that it's up to the distributor, but ah well.. I guess I'll have to live with it.

34 minutes ago, Alf Meister said:

It’s a sign of the times I’m afraid, nothing is made like it used to be. A lot of parts seem to be made from either very poor quality Metals or even recycled metal and the finishes are just not as good as they were, even a few years ago. In the UK apparently you can get new spokes on warranty, but whats the point, unless they change them out for stainless steel ones. I was thinking of getting stainless steel replacements and doing the job myself, might buy a new front rim too, a 2.15 x 21 with the tubeless ridge (the rear has it already).

You could get your rims cleaned up a cerakoted, its much more durable than either anodising or powder coat. Or even buy the SM Pro rims or Excel rim in 2.15 and 4.25 as they have the tubeless ridge and are much stronger than the DID rims. 

I understand that it sounds useless to just get them replaced, but if they did I could start treating them from the get go and avoid all this. If only I knew.. 

23 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

This is so sad.

One thing is for sure: I'll treat mine with some wax spray which I use on my bicycles for weather protection during the winter time. It's called Dynamic Protective Wax, leaves an invisible and quite durable film (not sticky or so). Works on almost all surfaces.

If I can advice you to get something better than wax agents, don't get me wrong wax will keep rust out but if there's anything underneath it's trapped and continues to corrode. Asf50 seems the golden bet, but it's pretty pricy.

• Like 1

Thanks @Boyca - will consider it. I guess it is well invested money!

I think it's ACF-50, right?

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1

If your bikes a keeper it's well worth re finishing the rims and rebuilding with heavy duty stainless steel spokes...as even when you neglect them they wash up like new! The trouble with the standard spokes is the more they corode the more you clean them...eventually there's no galvanising on them. It would be nice if manufacturers did this as standard..it would give the bikes a better quality appearance!!

@Alf Meister has a good point with the keracote. I’m thinking of getting it done at central wheel when I change colour to gold during a tyre swap. If it’s in warranty though, it stinks that they won’t cover it. 

disclaimer- I dont actually think this crooked, but get your mate to test ride a t7 from the dealer who sold it to you and swap the wheels. When they complain, say it can’t be yours as it’s nearly new and wouldn’t have corroded yet. F***k the robbing bastards. 🤘

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had the spoke issue after only 500 miles (literally 2 rides)! In the UK they are replaced under warranty and are almost expected as when I took mine back for the first service the dealer was practically waiting for me to put a claim in. I got a set of stainless spokes and got them to fit those instead and just toss the Yamaha replacements in the bin.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Poacher said:

I had the spoke issue after only 500 miles (literally 2 rides)! In the UK they are replaced under warranty and are almost expected as when I took mine back for the first service the dealer was practically waiting for me to put a claim in. I got a set of stainless spokes and got them to fit those instead and just toss the Yamaha replacements in the bin.

May i ask who your stainless spoke source was and were they polished ? I’ll Probably use central wheels. 

Yes, central... if I remember correctly they were ~£220 with new red ally spoke fittings. They are 4.5mm rear, 3.5mm front.

They are made to order and were perfect, much stronger than standard and zero corrosion guaranteed 🙂

20211228_144709.jpg

20211228_144800.jpg

20211228_144819.jpg

• Like 4

Those red spoke nipples (believe me, that's what we call them in Germany) look sharp mate!

13 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Those red spoke nipples (believe me, that's what we call them in Germany) look sharp mate!

Thanks, we call them nipples over here too... but we usually smirk when we do 😉

They did them in blue, gold, red and black... I decided to go for red because nobody else ever does! Most go for gold bling 🥱

• Haha 1

Found under the European factory warranty policy page.

I wonder if this is also stated in the countries where they do accept corrosion claims like Canada and the UK.

If anyone from those countries could check I would appreciate that.

090217c6-8ee7-4bf8-8f8f-628c665324f3.jpg

Translation: Warranty is not valid under the following causes: Corrosion, oxidation or discoloring caused by weather circumstances, salt, aggressive chemical products or cleaning agents.

Edited by Boyca

44 minutes ago, Boyca said:

Found under the European factory warranty policy page.

I wonder if this is also stated in the countries where they do accept corrosion claims like Canada and the UK.

If anyone from those countries could check I would appreciate that.

090217c6-8ee7-4bf8-8f8f-628c665324f3.jpg

Translation: Warranty is not valid under the following causes: Corrosion, oxidation or discoloring caused by weather circumstances, salt, aggressive chemical products or cleaning agents.

We’ll the corrosion on the spokes has nothing to do with harsh chemicals being used as my spokes are corroded and I’ve never used any chemicals on my bike. This problem is caused due to poor quality spokes and Yamaha don’t really have a leg to stand on. It’s just a case of whether you want to pursue the issue by getting Yamaha to change your corroded spokes for some exactly the same…… thats why I haven’t bothered.   

• Like 2

I will ask about it because i checked the bottom of my tank (other topic) and there is rust visible. even with the worst weather (salty winter) and the cleaning agents i use it should not be there.
The small print is often overruled by EU laws which protect customers from big company's fencing with small prints.
Even a factory warranty period can be overruled because product have to have a reasonable durability according to EU laws.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Alf Meister said:

We’ll the corrosion on the spokes has nothing to do with harsh chemicals being used as my spokes are corroded and I’ve never used any chemicals on my bike. This problem is caused due to poor quality spokes and Yamaha don’t really have a leg to stand on. It’s just a case of whether you want to pursue the issue by getting Yamaha to change your corroded spokes for some exactly the same…… thats why I haven’t bothered.   

It's just one of the causes they state not to be under warranty, the road salt is what caused it on mine so officially they won't cover it.

My answer....Anodised rims with heavy duty stainless steel spokes from Rally Raid. Eleven thousand miles later and used all through the winter rims and spokes look like new!

Screenshot_20220219-175737_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4

Cleaned up the rims a bit to take better pictures, look at this gnarly damage. Look at those spokes too. I feel like there's a brick in my stomach tbh, having payed considerable money for me on this bike and to have damage like this so soon. Less then 3 k Km's on it.

20220223_152457.jpg

20220223_152356.jpg

20220223_152514.jpg

• Sad 3

It's a shame.

Hope Yamaha will take care of it!

The first thing I'll do to mine once it arrives is giving it a generous treatment with ACF-50.

On probably all parts except brake pads & rotors...

22 minutes ago, Boyca said:

Cleaned up the rims a bit to take better pictures, look at this gnarly damage. Look at those spokes too. I feel like there's a brick in my stomach tbh, having payed considerable money for me on this bike and to have damage like this so soon. Less then 3 k Km's on it.

20220223_152457.jpg

20220223_152356.jpg

20220223_152514.jpg

Is that after a clean with duraglit/ Brasso @Boyca

or just a wash? Looks terrible.  Give it a try. Failing all else, it’s def worth that phone call to central wheel if Yamaha won’t sort it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dougie said:

Is that after a clean with duraglit/ Brasso @Boyca

or just a wash? Looks terrible.  Give it a try. Failing all else, it’s def worth that phone call to central wheel if Yamaha won’t sort it. 

It's pitted in, not superficial anymore so brasso won't do anything besides damage the anodized layer even more (if that's how it works). I've tried 0000 wool on a small patch and that didn't change a thing.. What do you mean by central wheel? I'm sending a warranty claim mail now to my dealership. After that I'll reevaluate my options.

• Like 1

That's outrageous for 3k bike, I'd a 15 year old AT with gold wheels and they were better than those, I've the same wheels on mine and will be keeping a close eye on them, let us know how you get on