Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rally golden rims painted?

Boyca

1 hour ago, Mike99 said:

That's outrageous for 3k bike, I'd a 15 year old AT with gold wheels and they were better than those, I've the same wheels on mine and will be keeping a close eye on them, let us know how you get on

Yeah I'm gutted. Hosed it down every week and never dared to imagine this.

23 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Central do wheel coatings, spokes, etc. 
https://www.central-wheel.co.uk/

use them if the claim fails. They do keracote etc. And stainless spokes. 

I live in Belgium, can't seem to find them around here. Or do you mean order a new set through them?

34 minutes ago, Boyca said:

Yeah I'm gutted. Hosed it down every week and never dared to imagine this.

I live in Belgium, can't seem to find them around here. Or do you mean order a new set through them?

They’re in midlands, uk. You’d have to send them off. It’s £34 per rim for a basic colour. Must be other similar places around Europe though. Quite a cheap way of getting wheels improved. The other options (sm pro and excel) are nice but a bit expensive. 

Edited by Dougie
Add
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good news, I contacted my dealership through mail with a very short statement and pictures attached of said wheels and spokes. Said that I was under the assumption that this was unacceptable and under warranty. They sent it off to Yamaha and two days ago I got a call saying that Yamaha accepted the claim and that I can bring her in. They're going to replace both wheels/rims and install aftermarket stainless steel spokes! I couldn't believe it, super happy with the news. Today I brough her in, they already received the new rims and were going to send those off to a wheel maker to respoke with stainless steel. When I asked to confirm that were stainless steel he did and also told me that he couldn't believe they're doing that. That usually they just replace it with yamaha oem components. To me this just reeks of awareness that they made production or quality control mistake on those. Either way I'm happy, and hopefully they didn't lie to me and actually get the ss ones on there. They're bound to be stronger and more durable, and corrossion free! Sometimes it's worth pushing through on issues like this. The other Yamaha dealership told me they're never accept a claim like that, yet here we are.  

All smiles now 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boyca said:

Good news, I contacted my dealership through mail with a very short statement and pictures attached of said wheels and spokes. Said that I was under the assumption that this was unacceptable and under warranty. They sent it off to Yamaha and two days ago I got a call saying that Yamaha accepted the claim and that I can bring her in. They're going to replace both wheels/rims and install aftermarket stainless steel spokes! I couldn't believe it, super happy with the news. Today I brough her in, they already received the new rims and were going to send those off to a wheel maker to respoke with stainless steel. When I asked to confirm that were stainless steel he did and also told me that he couldn't believe they're doing that. That usually they just replace it with yamaha oem components. To me this just reeks of awareness that they made production or quality control mistake on those. Either way I'm happy, and hopefully they didn't lie to me and actually get the ss ones on there. They're bound to be stronger and more durable, and corrossion free! Sometimes it's worth pushing through on issues like this. The other Yamaha dealership told me they're never accept a claim like that, yet here we are.  

All smiles now 🙂

Did the dealership offering up the spokes or is the Yamaha HeadQ offering that?

That is huge

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TimmyTheHog said:

Did the dealership offering up the spokes or is the Yamaha HeadQ offering that?

That is huge

I'm guessing the regional/national higher ups. So yeah headQ if you want to call it that. At least I think so because the technician there told me that had never happened and that they (Yamaha headq) are usually annoying about corrosion claims. I spoke the owner on the phone and he had told me that yamaha representatives had visited that certain morning and talked about running claims. So they verbally accepted it, because when I called back to set an appointment for a drop off the technician said it was still pending on the system. Either way I'm glad it's getting dealt with :)) Plus had a fantastic chat with another t7 rally owner that arrived there when I was still around.

Edited by Boyca
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

@DougieHey, was it you who once advised me to use acf50 for long term corrosion protection? I was about to order it together with a friend but then I stumbled upon this video;

I've read so many good reviews and anecdotal experiences about acf50 but seeing it ranked so low in this comparison chart (see minute 6.13) it makes me wonder if I should perhaps go for a different solution. What do you think?

Can’t remember, I have used acf50 and it works but clogs up easily in the can. I also used the scottoil 365, which washes off but you just throw it on every couple of days in winter. I suppose it’s down to what’s available in the shops. I’ll check out this video later and see what’s on the shelves around here. 👍

I am quite lazy with cleaning. 😁

• Like 1

So far it seems like this is only an issue with bike Made in France. Haven't heard of anyone in Canada/US having these rim corrosion issues. Glad you got a great fix from the dealer!

• Like 1