Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What helmet are you wearing and why?

Aleksandar13

As per title .. what sort of helmet you own , what you like about and what you dislike would be an interesting topic to help others decide if they would like to buy a new lid , like myself ... 

I have an old Shark S700 and could not fault it for the money. Fits nicely and has a sun visor which I never use :) .

Look forward to seeing what people are using.

😁

I currently own and use an Arai RX7 Nicky Hayden Laguna rep from 2008 ish which has to be one of the noisiest helmets ive ever owned. I do still wear it but only for short journeys.

Prior to that I tried the flip front models. The  Shoei Neotec 2 which leaked like a sieve and the Schubert E1 which you needed two hands and a lot of force to close. Needless to say both models were returned.

I then moved on to the Arai Tour X 4. Now this helmet I can say is the quietest one I have had for a long time and very comfortable.

Cheers

• Like 1

ARAI SZ-f. It offers the best fit by far plus a double D as closure. 

I have tried MANY helmets and this beats them all. I'd used 3 so far in the last 13-14 years. 

Now looking for a Modular one with similar fit (I have a bit of an oval head), weighing <1.5kgs.

It anybody knows one, I'm willing to try.

szf_argento.jpg.e567ee8134c346d1cbcc7616ee572901.jpg

• Like 1

im looking at getting one of these when i get the bike as i like the internal tinted visor and these have had some good reviews for the price.

Acerbis Reactive Black/Grey/Yellow Adventure Helmet - M

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, T700 said:

im looking at getting one of these when i get the bike as i like the internal tinted visor and these have had some good reviews for the price.

Acerbis Reactive Black/Grey/Yellow Adventure Helmet - M

Is the visor removable? I'm always concerned about that when you do higher speeds. 

This is the one I'm after in carbon and weighs less then 1300g, seems to be nice. 

I wear an s with shark so should be true to size.. 

Anybody tried this one? 

Screenshot_20191108-100031__01.jpg

I like the look of the new Klim Krios Pro, bloody expensive though.....

As for what I wear, well these days I only ride around my farm and never wear a helmet. My old helmets are hanging up in my shed, probably too old to give a review of here.

By chance I picked up this magazine today with an article about off-road helmets. 

cover.thumb.JPG.2ca791dddbdbc92dc2fb56b2c061dae0.JPG

1.thumb.JPG.097c76184096d2c9bc379aa6bcaf9021.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.f30e6483ecda344967a1d93114ab688b.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.90a788d48ad7cdccc665c3cb9c68158e.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.8a8a68dc68109562f5315638d4ad70d9.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.0f4b56e6f50f7f076047a57f0aaca4a2.JPG

• Like 1

Here are the remaining helmets. I included a road oriented Modular at the end as it was featured in the same magazine. 

6.thumb.JPG.8e6ac7cab7f275dc801277190609c204.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.57f8768b69d13c1b15b30e073e55aeb6.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.b692077621299bd74fe10a82fea7b5ef.JPG

Next.thumb.jpg.070f55a1fe1fd899e27ca319007e38e5.jpg

• Premium Member

I’m considering the Arai Tour-X4.

I have an Arai Rebel which is good for road ridding MT-10. However, the Tour-X4 ventilation and wider field of view should be better for ridding the Tenere 700. 

Spend loads and loads as much as you can on helmet. £8900 bike yes £100 helmet no. Beware of internet fakes, see below:

• Like 2
  • Premium Member
3 hours ago, Phaedrus said:

By chance I picked up this magazine today with an article about off-road helmets. 

cover.thumb.JPG.2ca791dddbdbc92dc2fb56b2c061dae0.JPG

I’d be real interested in that “Picos de Europa” article.

I rode magical Pico roads there on MT-10...

So wondering what trails they did.

Edited by X Plane

Bell 'Riot' for me.....open face with hinged visor.  Or my old Shoei Multitec flip lid.  Both flat black.  Why? Because I like them!

• Like 1
  • Premium Member
On 11/9/2019 at 10:42 AM, Phaedrus said:

X Plane. Here it's the article. Good but not outstanding.

1.thumb.jpg.f803978db0aaec3951723089fad49800.jpg

@Phaedrus Thank you Phaedrus.  

Agree and agree with them that the N621 (main pic) Riaño and Bonar LE-331 are the best roads that I’ve ever ride/rode; the MT-10 loved it there.

Thanks mate thanks again man.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:59 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

Is the visor removable? I'm always concerned about that when you do higher speeds. 

Not sure mate as im generally only traveling up to 110km/h and i would have thought it would be a problem, my existing one has never been a problem

• Like 1

I own the Nolan N70 2X which is also featured in the magazine in white. I wear glasses, so it was either a flip-up or this system. It's a very comfortable helmet with a great wide view. Rides well even at 130kph. Venting is ok.

Removing and installing the chin part takes getting used to, but then it becomes natural. The complaint on the flip up internal sun visor is both correct and exaggerated. This also is just a matter of getting used to.

My previous lid was a Schuberth C3 (before there was a pro version), but on trails I really missed the visor.

I'd definitely recommend the Nolan if you want something if you wear glasses and don't want to keep taking them off when putting on the helmet.

• Like 1

I ride with:

- BMW GS carbon - excellent for off-road

- Schuberth E1 - good for road

- Nolan N70 2X - the helm I ride more. Not the best but so practical

• Like 1
  • Premium Member

I’m on my second XD-4 after wearing out a Hornet. I replace them every 5 years/50,000 miles. The XD 4 feels like “home” when I put it on. 
I got it from www.bamfmoto.com in PDX

EDD5D1A5-0A8D-420C-B4F8-B86C746FCFA0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I’m another Arai TX4 man.

Although I have to admit I find the visor/peak fixing is a bit fiddly at times and wonder if they could come up with a better idea.

Nonetheless, I’ve always worn Arai since my schoolboy motocross days and wouldn’t consider anything else. Like @PNWTEN says, any Arai helmet just feel like home!

• Like 3

I started wearing Schuberth helmets a couple years ago and im now pretty damned loyal to their comfort and level of protection. Their helmets are the quietest and most comfortable that I have ever worn in my 44 years of riding.

This is my streetbike helmet

schuberth_c4_pro_carbon_delta_helmet_whi

Schuberth brings their Formula 1 technology to the C4 Pro by giving it an ultra-lightweight 100% carbon shell. German luxury, refined.

My ADV Helmet

schuberth_e1_gravity_helmet.jpg

The ADV version of the legendary C3 Pro boasts off road focused features like an articulated peak and a closable chin vent with a washable filter.

• Like 2

Arai Tour X-4. Tried on the Schuberth, Shoei and Grex but everyone of those had some issues. Arai just fits my head the best. Really like the multipurpose feature. I've have had two minor crashes, both times this good helmet protected my head. Never going to buy (or wear) cheap alternative.

• Like 1

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

NEXX is a Portuguese brand, try to search in Google.pt.

I use always the hornet ds sonora since 2013... It's a good adventure Helmet, givi also have a beautiful Helmet i don't if it's good but it's cheap...

IMG_20200123_230702.jpg

• Like 1

I'm thinking of getting an mx helmet with googles... I've never used one before so I'm not sure what to expect... 

Spring is approaching soon and I'm finding myself doing lanes but not off-road..

What are the main disadvantages with this type of setup.? 

19 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I'm thinking of getting an mx helmet with googles... I've never used one before so I'm not sure what to expect... 

Spring is approaching soon and I'm finding myself doing lanes but not off-road..

What are the main disadvantages with this type of setup.? 

I do the same. Airoh helmet and Scott goggles with reactolight (spelling?) type lenses. Nice to have some breeze and you'll never mist up. The screen is good enough that it's pretty good like that plus you can tilt your head as required to stop the sun getting in your eyes whilst it's still low in the sky

Screenshot_20200202_193858_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Edited by Rich TT
  • Thanks 1