Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Helmets- LS2 Explorer (new version) VS LS2 Blaze (old version) VS other?

DT675

I'll hopfully step up to that one after i've had this one for a couple years.  By then you should have a good review on it...

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 5:23 PM, Boondocker said:

In your price range, you might consider the Scorpion EXO-AT950. I've been wearing one for several years and think I would replace it with the same.  Not everyone likes modular helmets, but as a glasses wearer, I find it much easier to put my glasses on/off with the chin bar up.  A drop-down shade is a must for me - perfect flexibility in all light conditions. Ventilation is mediocre but cracking the visor open usually suffices.

I've been eyeing this helmet, so glad to hear you have a positive experience. How is the noise level? And do you ever remove the peak to cut down buffeting with the T& windscreen?

On 5/13/2022 at 8:18 AM, SO_Rider said:

I've been eyeing this helmet, so glad to hear you have a positive experience. How is the noise level? And do you ever remove the peak to cut down buffeting with the T& windscreen?

For noise, I'd say mid-range at best. Being modular and with a peak tends to increase noise. I always wear earplugs because "quiet" helmets are too noisy for me.

I have never removed the peak and don't have buffeting. If I want a quieter, smoother helmet with no peak, I'll wear my Shoei Neotec. I usually wear the Scorpion EXO-AT950 because I really like the shade on the visor that the peak provides. The reduced glare is worth the extra wind drag to me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Boondocker said:

For noise, I'd say mid-range at best. Being modular and with a peak tends to increase noise. I always wear earplugs because "quiet" helmets are too noisy for me.

I have never removed the peak and don't have buffeting. If I want a quieter, smoother helmet with no peak, I'll wear my Shoei Neotec. I usually wear the Scorpion EXO-AT950 because I really like the shade on the visor that the peak provides. The reduced glare is worth the extra wind drag to me.

Thanks for this info. I also wear earplugs as a habit. I just installed some windscreen adjustment brackets ($28 on Amazon) and at 1/2 height it raises the buffeting zone to just above my head. My current helmet is Troy lee w/Goggles, so the noise from the gaps around the goggles can be quite loud.