Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Swap 12V Socket to USB Charging Unit DIY

Noel McCutcheon

Thanks for that I will have to do this once my bike is here... Totally afraid of dealing with electrical stuff 🤣🤣

This will make it easier and I have you to blame if it does not work... Lol just joking. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

I'm slightly misunderstanding something, you are cutting the wire that leads into the 12v socket on the left hand side of the dash and reusing that to wire up the other spare socket ?? 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, cabby said:

I'm slightly misunderstanding something, you are cutting the wire that leads into the 12v socket on the left hand side of the dash and reusing that to wire up the other spare socket ?? 

Unplug the original 12 volt Socket cable’s white male socket from white female connector of the wiring harness under the left side panel; 

then cut the lead / cable of the 12v socket right up tight were the cable’s wires go into the original 12v socket.

Then put female spade connectors on to these wires for attaching on to the USB unit’s male spades

and as the other end of this lead cable has the bikes white male connector on it it then plugs back into the bikes white female (power supply) connector

and bingo.

See edited original post which now has better pics.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, X Plane said:

and as the other end of this lead cable has the bikes white male connector on it it then plugs back into the bikes white female (power supply) connector

Is this the spare one on the RHS ??? 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, cabby said:

Is this the spare one on the RHS ??? 

Nope. It is the existing one, that powered the original socket, on the LHS.

• Premium Member

Taken the two screws out the back of the dash but can't get it (the dash) to come free, what am I missing ?? 

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, cabby said:

Got it. 

Great.... From memory: (after screw removal) the Dash lifts up.

• Premium Member

Ye I just didn't want to force it but got brave. I've swapped the socket over to the other side and going to put a usb in the original as my phone sits on my left mirror. 

Couldn't have managed without your write up though 😎

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, cabby said:

Ye I just didn't want to force it but got brave. I've swapped the socket over to the other side and going to put a usb in the original as my phone sits on my left mirror. 

Couldn't have managed without your write up though 😎

Brilliant ! Cheers. 

Yeah, that is why posted the write-up up (which is now edited and improved).

As doing this USB mod takes and little bit of bravery to do it but with a bit of guidance and encouragement it is very doable and it is a great mod. 

Thanks again

PS The post did get me a Premium Membership for doing this post and sharing. 😎

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 11/9/2019 at 12:13 AM, tenerecanada said:

Great post thanks X Plane.

Thanks.... Yep, post is proving to be of great use 😁 😎 👍

• Premium Member

I will presume you have to make up your own connection once you've cut the wire unless you have a compatible plug. 

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, cabby said:

I will presume you have to make up your own connection once you've cut the wire unless you have a compatible plug. 

Correct. The Example photo shows one way of joining onto the short existing connector and lead (cut off) from the original socket.

9681F01F-1D0A-47E6-B49C-CDAF3A7AC135.jpeg

Below is a video of doing one on an MT-10

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I've found a compatible plug on ebay so will just wire that up and all should hopefully be good. 👍

Edited by cabby
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
On 11/10/2019 at 2:39 PM, cabby said:

I've found a compatible plug on ebay so will just wire that up and all should hopefully be good. 👍

Brilliant, good man..... may be share up the link, to the plug on here, as that may help others. 😎

• 4 weeks later...

Great post. Thanks! Really like the info for a hot socket for battery tender to hook up through socket....NICE!

question, does the T7 have an actual voltage reading on dash?

Y/N?

found this USB socket with a voltage reading on EBAY.

F6A6DEC9-D4D6-485D-9874-0B86AC71C8A2.jpeg

• Like 3

Currently ride a WR290R and a 08 Vstrom 650. Soon to own a2021 T7

• 1 month later...

No voltage display on dash. I've ordered one of these too and i'm putting it in the spare position so I can plug my TomTom into the original, and wire a switch to it so I can trickle charge the battery through it.

• Premium Member
On 1/24/2020 at 5:31 AM, Whitey66 said:

No voltage display on dash. I've ordered one of these too and i'm putting it in the spare position so I can plug my TomTom into the original, and wire a switch to it so I can trickle charge the battery through it.

Original sockets power is feed via light wires or may be can-bus. I wired spare 12v socket with 10 amp inline fuse direct to battery so can either charge or run compressor from it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, X Plane said:

Original sockets power is feed via can-bus. I wired spare 12v socket with 10 amp inline fuse direct to battery so can either charge or run compressor from it. 

Not really an issue, it can still be done with a multi contact switch. In one switch position the can-bus will be in circuit, in the other switch position the direct to battery 12 volt fused supply will be.

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 1

I have fixed a additionnal led bar, coupled with high beam, and additionnal 12v sproket is picked on his permanent 12v alim 😉

P_20200108_080515-scaled.jpg

Un article qui explique comment monter un phare additionnel LED couplé à la commande de phare sur la Tenere 700 et les quelques particularités à respecter.

• Like 2

Find "mobylette rollers" on social medias ! 🙂

• 3 months later...
On 11/9/2019 at 9:01 AM, X Plane said:

Unplug the original 12 volt Socket cable’s white male socket from white female connector of the wiring harness under the left side panel; 

then cut the lead / cable of the 12v socket right up tight were the cable’s wires go into the original 12v socket.

Then put female spade connectors on to these wires for attaching on to the USB unit’s male spades

and bingo.

See edited original post which now has better pics.

How many amp connection and/or fuse on line?

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Yammybound88 said:

How many amp connection and/or fuse on line?

10 amp (inline) fuse, for the 12v cigarette socket, straight to battery. 

• Like 1