Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Perun Moto rear rack

Chris1974

On 6/4/2022 at 6:36 AM, Chris1974 said:

Hard to see in the picture, but it also might be that your plastic rear cover is not assembeled correctly and is sticking up higher than it should. Looks to me the gap between the taillight and the plastic cover is a lot bigger thn on mine. But that might also be an optical illusion from the camera... Easy check...

When mounting the rear cover ther is a part sticking out on the rear cover that hooks in to the bike. If you missed that it might end up a lot higher...

What make are these, I’ve been trying to decide and I like this set up.

6 hours ago, Ktmxcw250 said:

What make are these, I’ve been trying to decide and I like this set up.

Perun moto. Link is in first post.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bolted one of these onto my T7. The reason I chose it is that it is designed to work with the Kriega soft luggage system that I have and I won't be putting a lot of load on it.

It fits perfectly and was super easy to install and they even have instructions for fitting Kriega gear.

Edited by luke29ermtb

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

For those owning the Perun rear rack, what about the room for the pillion when assembling a top case? Is it impossible or just uncomfortable? I would like to ride the bike with a pillion at least at town, where the top case is necessary to keep the helmet safe.

Thank you so much in advance!

Gas ✊🏽

9 minutes ago, JaviPF said:

Hi all!

For those owning the Perun rear rack, what about the room for the pillion when assembling a top case? Is it impossible or just uncomfortable? I would like to ride the bike with a pillion at least at town, where the top case is necessary to keep the helmet safe.

Thank you so much in advance!

Gas ✊🏽

I have riden with a GIVI alu topcase and my kid in the back no problem. He is 10 years old. So if you ride with someone who is not too much dimensionally challenged it should work.

In the picture you can see there is plenty of space left.

IMG_20220503_094941.jpg.62fa91b2695880e88fc306f249a3bc1c.jpg.a9fe7791c4359fcb24f549e00d080a8a.jpg

Edited by Chris1974

12 minutes ago, Chris1974 said:

I have riden with a GIVI alu topcase and my kid in the back no problem. He is 10 years old. So if you ride with someone who is not too much dimensionally challenged it should work.

IMG_20220503_094941.jpg.62fa91b2695880e88fc306f249a3bc1c.jpg.a9fe7791c4359fcb24f549e00d080a8a.jpg

Thank you!

I was thinking in two adults, normal sized.

But as you say, it seems to have enough space, at least for short trips.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Chris1974 said:

"Dimensionally Challenged"  good one! 😀

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 4:06 PM, luke29ermtb said:

I just bolted one of these onto my T7. The reason I chose it is that it is designed to work with the Kriega soft luggage system that I have and I won't be putting a lot of load on it.

It fits perfectly and was super easy to install and they even have instructions for fitting Kriega gear.

I may have spoken too soon as the instructions linked above don't include the Kriega OS Base. I've just tried to fit it an have found a problem.

I had assumed (yes, I know) that the slots at the front on each side of the rack where for the straps on the OS Base that pull it back for a firm fit. They are perfectly positioned to do so. However, on attempting to fit the OS Base I’ve discovered the those straps aren’t designed to be removed from the cam buckle so there's no easy way to get them through the slot in the rack without cutting the loop that has been sewn onto the end of the strap.

What I thought was going to be simple is now not so. Particularly if I want a setup that is secure but can be removed and replaced quickly.

Am I missing something?

Any help you can provide wi

OSBaseStrap.jpg

Edited by luke29ermtb
Added photo

Dropped the bike once, but when picking it up, it's lacking a good support on the back, which makes it awkward lifting it up.

So I got rid of the perun side carriers in favor of a set of donner-tech handles and did the same as chris and deleted the protuding tabs.

Got some sturdy handles to pick it up now!

Before (left side):

image.png.cf66031a33acad26c5e5700052878def.png

After:

image.png.3e7d29dc3b332ed43188a4350fd819f1.png

The reckless 80 fits, but barely. You will loose some of the carrying capacity because of the width of it all.

image.png.e18da022671ded204f0409d9c1d92fb9.png

Edited by deanso
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 5:45 AM, luke29ermtb said:

I may have spoken too soon as the instructions linked above don't include the Kriega OS Base. I've just tried to fit it an have found a problem.

I had assumed (yes, I know) that the slots at the front on each side of the rack where for the straps on the OS Base that pull it back for a firm fit. They are perfectly positioned to do so. However, on attempting to fit the OS Base I’ve discovered the those straps aren’t designed to be removed from the cam buckle so there's no easy way to get them through the slot in the rack without cutting the loop that has been sewn onto the end of the strap.

What I thought was going to be simple is now not so. Particularly if I want a setup that is secure but can be removed and replaced quickly.

Am I missing something?

OSBaseStrap.jpg

You can remove the X stitching that is creating the loop on the end. If you do that you can get the strap out of the buckle to feed it through the rack. That is what I would do.

4 hours ago, Chris1974 said:

You can remove the X stitching that is creating the loop on the end. If you do that you can get the strap out of the buckle to feed it through the rack. That is what I would do.

That does appear to be the only option for now. Perun Moto have advised they are working on a solution that prevents the need to do this but it is the early stages of development.

I've looked at the fit of the OS Base with the rack on and with no rack and have decided that I'm going without a rack for now (if I can carry everything I need). My Lone Rider tent fits nicely on the pillion seat so I'm hoping I can fit everything else I need for a week-long trip in the two Kriega 18L packs and and 18L backpack.

9 hours ago, luke29ermtb said:

That does appear to be the only option for now. Perun Moto have advised they are working on a solution that prevents the need to do this but it is the early stages of development.

I've looked at the fit of the OS Base with the rack on and with no rack and have decided that I'm going without a rack for now (if I can carry everything I need). My Lone Rider tent fits nicely on the pillion seat so I'm hoping I can fit everything else I need for a week-long trip in the two Kriega 18L packs and and 18L backpack.

I was also considering to have kriega os system with Perun rear rack, but I was concerned about compatibility. Maybe the Universal Os base would fit without problem. Did you considered this option? 

Any idea if passenger handles would be an issue with Kriega os system? 

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 9:45 PM, luke29ermtb said:

Am I missing something?

OSBaseStrap.jpg

Hey @luke29ermtb
Looks like they have a Kriega mont solution here 

2210_Perunmoto_T700WR_Kriega016_240x.jpg

Before ordering, please check Shipping Info page. Instructions - HERE. --- Compatibility - fits only Yamaha Tenere 700 with Perun moto Top Luggage rack. --- Designed for Kriega Tenere 700 OS-base - perfect place to secure...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SpencerChedid said:

Hey @luke29ermtb
Looks like they have a Kriega mont solution here 

2210_Perunmoto_T700WR_Kriega016_240x.jpg

Before ordering, please check Shipping Info page. Instructions - HERE. --- Compatibility - fits only Yamaha Tenere 700 with Perun moto Top Luggage rack. --- Designed for Kriega Tenere 700 OS-base - perfect place to secure...

That looks like a neat solution and one that could be sorted just by buying longer bolts and using the Kriega Shrek ears (I've borrowed that technical term from another T7 owner that I met at the Copley bakery on my Flinders trip 🙂 ).

The thing that I don't like is that the OS Base doesn't fit so well over the rack mounting arms and the top edge will create a wear point in time.

For now, I'm doing my best to travel light and just use two 18L Kriega bags and strapping my tent on the seat between them. When I get to do a trip where I need to carry extra fuel I might need a different solution.

Edited by luke29ermtb

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

I have the Perun Moto rack, but I want to add a top box as safety when riding with my son as a pillion. But I have the taller rally seat - could any of you please take a picture of how much room there is from the seat to the box? Thanks a lot!

14 hours ago, JayD said:

Hey all!

I have the Perun Moto rack, but I want to add a top box as safety when riding with my son as a pillion. But I have the taller rally seat - could any of you please take a picture of how much room there is from the seat to the box? Thanks a lot!

I just measured it. The seat is partly under the topbox and with the stock seat there is about 1,5cm clearance between the box and the seat.

So depending on how much taller the ralley seat is compared to stock you can now decide what you want to do.

Just now, Chris1974 said:

I just measured it. The seat is partly under the topbox and with the stock seat there is about 1,5cm clearance between the box and the seat.

So depending on how much taller the ralley seat is compared to stock you can now decide what you want to do.

Many thanks kind sir!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi!

For those riding with the Perun rack and top cases… How about the performance with some km of use?

Have you try carrying something heavier than the supposed 5kg?

thanks a lot! I am thinking on combining it with a 58l Givi 😐

Edited by JaviPF

• 2 months later...

I removed the rack ages ago as I didn't like how it changed the fit of my Kriega OS Base. It has never been loaded and has been sitting in my garage for ages so I'm selling it cheap on Gumtree here for anyone in Australia that might be interested.

On 2/5/2023 at 11:26 PM, JaviPF said:

For those riding with the Perun rack and top cases… How about the performance with some km of use?

Have you try carrying something heavier than the supposed 5kg?

Never had any issues at all. However when I go for groceries and load up on beer, I keep away from speed bumps.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, deanso said:

Never had any issues at all. However when I go for groceries and load up on beer, I keep away from speed bumps.

Knowing it is Ok for carrying beer, it’s perfect!

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 1:37 AM, luke29ermtb said:

I removed the rack ages ago as I didn't like how it changed the fit of my Kriega OS Base. It has never been loaded and has been sitting in my garage for ages so I'm selling it cheap on Gumtree here for anyone in Australia that might be interested.

Are you willing to ship it to the USA?

2 hours ago, r1superstar said:

Are you willing to ship it to the USA?

Sorry @r1superstar I already have a buyer in Australia.

• 1 month later...

Apparently the Perun Rack works with Outback Motortek Panniers, but how about Camel Tank or Camel Rally Bend Exhaust??

thanx

CD