Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Stripped bolt at base of rear shock

mrboni

32 minutes ago, witgen said:

For some reason japanese engineers seem to be keen on these kind of bolts.

Then they can sell you a new bolt every time you undo them.

These stretch bolts are one time use only but i rarely teplace them.

Depends on the state of the bolt and the location.

I doubt that Yamaha is putting crappy bolts on their bikes.

My suspicion is people are getting oil/grease on the bolt, nut, or mounting surface.

Torque values need to be cut in half if you do.

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

5 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Torque values need to be cut in half if you do.

Oh, very good to know!    It's likely mine was greasy after a liberal application on the linkage bits

Mr. Boni,

I learned this lesson (The Hard Way) and never forgot.

If you google the subject you will see oil, grease, anti-seize, even loctite will affect the torque values.

Lubing the linkage and fasteners is not a bad thing, corrosion is always a worry.

Using a torque wrench shows that you care and try your best to do the right things, I commend you!

It is just that sometime we need to read "between the lines"... if you know what I am saying.

Best of luck to you my friend...

Bob

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 hour ago, Hibobb said:

It is just that sometime we need to read "between the lines"... if you know what I am saying.

I do.  Much appreciated, and much to learn 😆

• 4 weeks later...

It was a little crude but I started with nut splitter, which split the nut but didn't get through the flange / collar bit.  However I was able to grab it with mole grips in this state and unthread it

• Thanks 1

Oops I accidentally deleted my post. Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Glad to hear the nut splitter did the job, luckily I was able to remove the upper dogbone bolt and use the dogbone itself as leverage to pull back on the nut while unwinding - it managed to come off in the end without needing to cut anything. (Phew)

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 2:36 PM, Hibobb said:

Mr. Boni,

I learned this lesson (The Hard Way) and never forgot.

If you google the subject you will see oil, grease, anti-seize, even loctite will affect the torque values.

Lubing the linkage and fasteners is not a bad thing, corrosion is always a worry.

Using a torque wrench shows that you care and try your best to do the right things, I commend you!

Bob

Actually I wonder if this was also my case here - as everyone was making a big deal of greasing the linkage bolts, I wonder if I got grease on the threads when pushing it through. Next time I will thoroughly clean the threads as best I can before putting the bolt on.

• Like 1

Don't forget the swingarm bolt. When that one gets corroded and locked in place it is a nightmare to get out.

T7 is currently too new for that to have happen yet... Old times have heard lots of stories about unmovable swingarm bolts.

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~