Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
TransAfrique

Bigger fuel tank

T7rally.com
35 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

This sounds indeed very promising for all the people who are in need of a bigger fuel tank.. 

Any pictures you can or would like to share would be greatly appreciated by all the members. 

📸🔥🤓

Aleks 

Will pop pics and a video up on the vendor section as soon as I have the first production bits sorted. The test setup is on the bike and you cant really see it any sense as from the outside there are no changes, only once you start pulling the bike apart can you see it. Should not be too much longer before the first kits are ready, one of the main problems are sourcing some of the connectors as I am making it completely plug and play.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

qInvention
Posted (edited)

This sounds like @T7rally.com will be producing the fuel tank which the T7 should have been equipped with right from the beginning !

Can anyone tell if the fuel gauge will still work after tank swap ?

Edited by qInvention
  • Like 1

al700

fuel gauge wont work if there is no sensor in the additional tank...it will show only the main tank. if the additional tank empties first and then the main tank then you won't need a sensor in the aftermarket secondary tank... also there may be need for secondary fuel pump for the second tank.

slakdawg
41 minutes ago, al700 said:

fuel gauge wont work if there is no sensor in the additional tank...it will show only the main tank. if the additional tank empties first and then the main tank then you won't need a sensor in the aftermarket secondary tank... also there may be need for secondary fuel pump for the second tank.

I personally could not care less about a fuel gauge. Over time, I'll use the trip meter to give me my range based on how I use the right hand.  Gauges are typically not very accurate anyways.

• Like 1

T7rally.com
42 minutes ago, al700 said:

No with our option the fuel gauge remains fully functional and there is no need for any additional pumps.

FYI the pump and gauge sensor is one unit on this bike.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

T7rally.com
3 hours ago, qInvention said:

This sounds like @T7rally.com will be producing the fuel tank which the T7 should have been equipped with right from the beginning !

Can anyone tell if the fuel gauge will still work after tank swap ?

Yes it will remain fully functional.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

qInvention
29 minutes ago, T7rally.com said:

FYI the pump and gauge sensor is one unit on this bike.

That's what I thought, but as I've never checked it, I wasn't sure.

Thanks a lot for information and as you're completing development, keep in mind the T7 community wants that bigger fuel tank to be sold yesterday.

qInvention
36 minutes ago, slakdawg said:

I personally could not care less about a fuel gauge. Over time, I'll use the trip meter to give me my range based on how I use the right hand.  Gauges are typically not very accurate anyways.

nothing wrong with that, but it's my first bike with a fuel gauge and I find it a usefull reminder

Rider 101

Sounds like the auxiliary tank might be suction fed to the main tank ala Camel Tank.

I had a Camel on my F8 and it gave me a total of 23 litres; a range of about 500km.

I would be happy with just 4 litres of additional fuel but if 10 litres can be fitted that woild be awesome.

• Like 1

T7rally.com
9 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Sounds like the auxiliary tank might be suction fed to the main tank ala Camel Tank.

I had a Camel on my F8 and it gave me a total of 23 litres; a range of about 500km.

I would be happy with just 4 litres of additional fuel but if 10 litres can be fitted that woild be awesome.

No the existing pump is repositioned, its the best way to get the weight distribution on the bike as good as it can be. Will do a video next time I pull it apart to show whats going on.

• Like 4

Rider 101

Even more interesting!

Goldentaco

Can't wait.  this sounds like a great upgrade.

J

MGG

I finally managed to figure out how the bike behaves when you are out of gas. I do miss the manual reserve valve from my old one. I was on flat tarmac coming out of my dealer, after the first maintenance at 1000km. I know, I know, the dealer should have checked that for me and put a liter or two in there just to be safe since they do want me back, right? ... It was my fault bringing the bike to the dealer while on reserve. Only they know how long they ran it for diags and testing, and how much fuel they wasted. I am sure there is a hidden backdoor to the dealer for them to snick out and test bikes. 

Anyhow, I ran out of gas and had to push it 1 km (I was lucky) ... but to my surprise I was able to put in only 15.017 liters. I am not sure if the all the 16 liters are really usable. I guess I need to try this "running out of gas" one more time 🙂.

So my question: How much of the gas tank is supposed to be usable ?

• Like 2

SKIPNOMAD

Whoever makes one I hope they make it with a flush mount gas cap!

• Like 3

SKIPNOMAD
On 6/21/2020 at 3:40 AM, T7rally.com said:

No the existing pump is repositioned, its the best way to get the weight distribution on the bike as good as it can be. Will do a video next time I pull it apart to show whats going on.

Will it have a flush mount cap?

• Like 2

Whitey66
Posted (edited)

The reason they don't usually have flush mount fuel fillers is because they can be overfilled with fuel. On a hot day, the fuel temperature in the tank in the ground will be a lot cooler than the  ambient temperature. If you could fill it completely to the brim so there was no room for any air, then ride a short distance then leave the bike parked in the sun one of 2 things will happen, as the fuel expands as it heats up it will either leak out somewhere and if it doesn't it could distort the steel tank. On the Tenere i'd expect the carbon canister to fill up with fuel if this happened, as that's what most cars do to comply with emission regulations.

Edited by Whitey66

qInvention

Nearly a month since last post in this thread, does anybody know something about progress being made by our future suppliers of bigger fuel tanks?

• Like 1

Ichnusa
On 6/26/2020 at 5:56 AM, SKIPNOMAD said:

Will it have a flush mount cap?

That would be great.

• Like 2

Rider 101

Waiting waiting

• Like 1

Erick60

Dear ................ any news about the possible tank?

Matth

I would def be up for a bigger tank.

T7rally.com Hurry up this is too exciting, i cant cope :)))

• Haha 1

Klebs01

I'm hoping to see some options soon.  This is a pretty important factor in my decision to buy or not.  Hoping Safari releases their tank soon and its like most of there other ones were it would eliminate the need for crash bars.

MGG
On 9/2/2020 at 8:40 AM, Klebs01 said:

I'm hoping to see some options soon.  This is a pretty important factor in my decision to buy or not.  Hoping Safari releases their tank soon and its like most of there other ones were it would eliminate the need for crash bars.

No Safari tanks for me, crashbars are in place and for a good reason. Same thing about Camel's that sacrifice the left side.

I would love the tank to be invisible 😁😁

... Just waiting on @T7rally.com... Otherwise just Rotopax and go.

WyoRip
Posted (edited)

I could definitely use that new tank from T7Rally. I have punctured the stock tank and need a replacement. I will do a video review if I can find and purchase one as soon as it’s released. I’m based in Wyoming, and ride Colorado and Idaho. A larger capacity is needed to extend range as the backroads and trails are long here. 

Edited by WyoRip

WyoRip

I could definitely use that new tank from T7Rally. I have punctured the stock tank and need a replacement. I will do a video review if I can find and  purchase  one as soon as it’s released. I’m based in Wyoming, and ride Colorado and Idaho. A larger capacity is needed to extend range as the backroads and trails are long here.