Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Broke my T-7 yesterday

NeilW

On 5/29/2022 at 6:59 AM, Terez said:

Btw....heal well my friend 

i crashed hard a few yrs ago ...broke most of my left ribs...collapsed lung...tore my rotator cuff

at 59 Im not healing/recovering as fast as usual🙄   Rotator will never be the same 

but happy to be functional and still riding 😎👍

Terez, seriously look into an airbag. I have the Klim but there are others that tether  to the bike and are cheaper.

• Like 1

UPDATE on my Tenere 700 repairs from my run in with the Quad two weeks ago in Oregon
Left Fork damaged beyond repair
Right fork rebuildable
Whole front wheel with everything on it needs to be replaced
Upper and lower fork triple tree etc
Handlebar mount
Rear brake lever
That's what I get for assuming a Quad was going to act "normal"- like look over his shoulder before making a U turn on a busy road.....
  • Sad 4

36 minutes ago, NeilW said:

assuming a Quad was going to act "normal"

Did you ever hear the old saying about "assume" ????

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

5 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Did you ever hear the old saying about "assume" ????

Oh yes. Totally my bad !!  I would never have done that in the street. And I won’t be doing it again in the dirt. That is for sure. 

No chance the quad driver has any insurance that'll cover your damage due to his bone headed move?

1 hour ago, jdub53 said:

No chance the quad driver has any insurance that'll cover your damage due to his bone headed move?

Good question. I had a mild concussion from slamming to the ground - not hitting my head. I didn't think to ask for his info as I felt at the time that I was at fault for trying to pass him. His family was nice enough to trailer me off the mountain - about 3 miles as the sun was setting. Got AAA from the closest highway.

Sounds like callin it a draw and lickin yer own wounds is appropriate here...U will live to fight another day

• Like 1

58yrs old/brother/husband/father/paramedic/soldier🇨🇦 

4 minutes ago, Terez said:

Sounds like callin it a draw and lickin yer own wounds is appropriate here...U will live to fight another day

Yup….such is life.

• Like 1

This all sucks just the same @NeilWThis sounds expensive.  I'd like to know what the cost is when done.  Do you have collision insurance?  It may be worth a call to the insurance co.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Landshark said:

This all sucks just the same @NeilWThis sounds expensive.  I'd like to know what the cost is when done.  Do you have collision insurance?  It may be worth a call to the insurance co.

Shop listed the parts at $3200 retail. $1200 labor

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I have full coverage but insurance is a last resort. I know $4400 is a lot of cash but the raise in my overall insurance bill for all my vehicles might be more over 3 years

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Ouch.  The repair cost hurts worse than a broken rib or two.  1200.00 for labour is a lot in my opinion.  

Sorry to hear about this, glad you are well! - I would just upgrade what you can, like get nicer forks, levers, tubeless excel or rally raid rims, and the rest from Yamaha parts. Swapping all that doesn't seem hard, just a few hours worth of work. at least your headlight is okay, that would have been $$$$

• Like 1

Ouch!

Hope you heal well and the accident doesn't put you off riding. 

I had a rescue helicopter ride a few years ago after an altercation with a roo and spent 3 months recovering. I was a bit gun shy when I got back on the bike and am now a little slower and more cautious.

It would be no consolation but the quad rider is at fault ( in Aus anyway ) but if he didn't have insurance then you would have to make a civil claim. Can you use your video footage to prove "no fault" by you? We have a "no fault" clause in most of our insurance policies that doesn't affect our premiums.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

19 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

Ouch!

Hope you heal well and the accident doesn't put you off riding. 

I had a rescue helicopter ride a few years ago after an altercation with a roo and spent 3 months recovering. I was a bit gun shy when I got back on the bike and am now a little slower and more cautious.

It would be no consolation but the quad rider is at fault ( in Aus anyway ) but if he didn't have insurance then you would have to make a civil claim. Can you use your video footage to prove "no fault" by you? We have a "no fault" clause in most of our insurance policies that doesn't affect our premiums.

Thanks. I have been a long time dirt rider and although I haven't ever been 'knocked" off by another vehicle before this, I have had plenty of high speed get-offs. I was just out today , in the rain, on my VERY comfortable 2007 Yamaha Venture Touring bike. As I left my driveway I quickly noticed just how comfortable a motorcycle can be. Even though I have done Risers, windshield, highwaypegs and seat mods, my 2021 Tenere 700 will never be "comfortable" like my Venture is... and the Venture will never be as much fun to ride as the Tenere is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Landshark said:

Ouch.  The repair cost hurts worse than a broken rib or two.  1200.00 for labour is a lot in my opinion.  

The labor quote is assembly of all new parts for the left fork and complete rebuild of the right. Complete assembly of a front wheel including lacing spokes. Remove and replace the upper and lower fork clamps, etc etc. I am looking into getting whole assemblies. Oh - and I was wearing my Klim Air Bag so quite literally I didn't even get the wind knocked out of me- no broken ribs or collar bones.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NeilW said:

The labor quote is assembly of all new parts for the left fork and complete rebuild of the right. Complete assembly of a front wheel including lacing spokes. Remove and replace the upper and lower fork clamps, etc etc. I am looking into getting whole assemblies. Oh - and I was wearing my Klim Air Bag so quite literally I didn't even get the wind knocked out of me- no broken ribs or collar bones.

Think I would be checking Craigs list, Cycle trader for a 2014 up YZ450F front suspension. You can pick up both legs for $500.00 and it has better valving. KYB like our T-7's but better. The WR450F basically is what we are already running.....But will work too..

17 minutes ago, Mx375 said:

Think I would be checking Craigs list, Cycle trader for a 2014 up YZ450F front suspension. You can pick up both legs for $500.00 and it has better valving. KYB like our T-7's but better. The WR450F basically is what we are already running.....But will work too..

Thanks for this info. I am sure it will help others too.

On 6/3/2022 at 8:51 AM, ScorpionT16 said:

Sorry to hear about this, glad you are well! - I would just upgrade what you can, like get nicer forks, levers, tubeless excel or rally raid rims, and the rest from Yamaha parts. Swapping all that doesn't seem hard, just a few hours worth of work. at least your headlight is okay, that would have been $$$$

Funny you mention then headlight. I did a review of Touratech protection parts and the headlight protector was high on my list for that reason. 

On 5/25/2022 at 2:57 AM, winddown said:

I wonder if that triple clamp is a sort of sacrificial part designed to take the stress and break rather than something like the frame bending instead?

Turns out left fork is beyond repair, right fork needs a rebuild. Front wheel is bent, hub damaged. So no, it didn’t sacrifice itself, it is just one of many broken parts. 

Good to see you are in recovery Neil. Small consolation, but at least you are in good company.

tenere-world-raid-team-fight-stage-3-tunisia-desert-challenge

On 6/7/2022 at 3:52 PM, TimeMachine said:

Good to see you are in recovery Neil. Small consolation, but at least you are in good company.

tenere-world-raid-team-fight-stage-3-tunisia-desert-challenge

The link didn’t work for me so it took time to find what you were referring to( unbelievable)

His teammate Tarres was trying to bounce again after a minor crash in Saturday’s Stage 2 as he continues to realize expertise throughout his maiden rally. Sadly for the 26-year-old, luck was not on his aspect. He was by chance taken out by a quad bike after 45km and despatched flying from his bike, fortunately escaping any vital harm.

• Like 1