Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2 Pin Aux connector- no power!!

Canuck8

After getting half my bike apart in order to install a usb/voltmeter in the aux socket using the aux 2 pin connector, I could not get it to work. Appears to be no power to the 2 pin connector. Verified the usb unit was working by trying the leads on the battery. Sparked right up. To say that I am frustrated would be an overwhelming understatement. Had to put the bike back together so going in there for a second go will be a punch in the nuts. Any ideas? I'm an electrical newbie to say the least.

Cheers,

Brian

Go to a hardware store and get a cheap volt meter, verify the 2-pin from the bike has voltage. If so, double check you have the +/- on the right terminals on the outlet you are installing. 

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Tried to use a voltmeter but wasnt sure if I was using it correctly. Tried switching +/- and that didnt work either.

Get some beer and invite a buddy over to help...

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

That 2-pin connector is switched on with the key.... did you turn the key on when you tried it?

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

4 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

That 2-pin connector is switched on with the key.... did you turn the key on when you tried it?

Yep. Tried with the key on and running. Neg.

Maybe the hot wire touched the frame and you blew out the 2-amp fuse.

Or

Maybe the outlet you are wiring (usb & volt meter) blew up if the wires were reversed initially.

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

USB unit is ok. Do you know where the fuse is located for that wire. Is it in the fuse box near the battery or is it in line somewhere.

two fuse boxes near battery

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Capture.JPG

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Is the 12V accessory socket on the left side working?  From memory I believe the 12V socket and the connector you are using share the same 2A fuse. 

Not sure if the left side is working. I will check it and the fuse tomorrow. When checking out the 2 pin connector I thought I'd see 1 red wire and 1 black. Turns out it's 1 black and 1 brown/yellow. Stupid question I'm sure but which one is the hot. 

• Moderators

@Canuck8 The last 5 pages of this manual should help.  This link is located under Tech Tips >Service Manual.  Looks like you're working with Aux fuse #7 and Aux jack #94 & 95.  Your hot is the Brown/ Yellow and the ground is Black.

content-pdf-large.png

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

You could try to test with a simple bulb set up- see if it illuminates 

@Canuck8 You and I had the same project going on today and we both ran into the same problem. I installed the USB w/volt meter and it powered up. I than installed anti-bobble bars and what a project that became as the left side bar required bending and filing off welds. After completing this headache and tightening down the headlight I decided to double check the USB and too my amazement it did not power up.  I double checked the 2-pin connector as I had not installed the panels and all checked out. So, I disassembled the anti-bobble bars and headlight once again. SIGH.. All checked out but I re-wired the connectors as I still did not have power. I than used a circuit tester probe w/ light to check the 2 pin connector and there was the answer. The light on my circuit tester did not illuminate. The fuse that powers the auxiliary is Fuse #5/2 amp that powers the 2-pin connector on the right side of the moto. And of course it was blown. I'm confident you will not need to disassemble the front end of the moto again like I did.  Check fuse #5 and you should be good to go.

My question to everyone is.  Is fuse #5/2 amp a common fuse that blows when powering a USB or other devices?

Regards,

Leo

I think, probably if you plug a high drain item (tyre compressor) into your stock 12v  aux port you run the risk of popping the fuse

@Canuck8, Did you check the fuse? It the new socket up and running? 

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Well mystery solved. Checked the left side aux port and no power. Checked the fuse and it was broken. Not sure how that happened since I have never even lifted off the cover of the other aux port. Maybe when I was checking the connector with the multimeter i buggered it up. Oh well. Learned lots in this endeavour.......wasn't aware that the spare connector and the other left side aux were on the same 2amp fuse. And I learned where the spare 3 pin connectors are located. Can now take my headlight out blindfolded. Had to put it all back together last night so the new usb will have to wait. And now that I know how much pita it is to get to the wiring i may replace my new usb port with one that doesn't have an inline tube fuse. 

Thanks to everyone for your support and great information. Electrical stuff is my nemesis.

Cheers,

Brian

I run the GPS from that and last week in Finland just like that no power, fuse broke.

Nothing different and it ran just fine for about 15.000km.

Work it so the inline fuse is behind the radiator cowl - it’s a 2 minute job to remove and replace. If it blows 

My dealer recommended upping the fuse to 10A if using the socket for a compressor.  A 10A fuse will still protect the wiring - its only job.  No idea why Yamaha decided on a 2A fuse there.

P.s.  I am an electrician.

And that is why I ran the right hand outlet direct to the battery. No need to mess around pulling the bike apart, no messing around looking for the right connector; 5 minutes to thread the wires, 5 minutes to wrap in conduit and bugger all time to connect to the battery. 

I put an in line 10A fuse so I can run a compressor but it is primarily used to power the GPS. I use a Merit socket and plugs as they are far more robust than the cigarette lighter type. 

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys 👍

I also blew my 2 amp fuse today when connecting my compressor (as seen below) to the oem power outlet. Any reason why I shouldn't permanently replace the 2 amp fuse for a 10 amp one?

1885295889_MotoPressorMini.png.03d3c07a214b0572c3096f691fdd0362.png

Edited by Chev.