Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Better Seat?

Hibobb

I run padded bike shorts and the Seat concepts comfort seat in the 2 piece configuration.  My ride is great with the bike shorts on, not as great without but still better than stock.  I found  had to lower the tail end of the front seat to keep from sliding forward over time.  Problem was that the plastic washer from the seat joining kit from T7 rally interfered a bit, once that got sorted, all is well.

Thanks @Colddog The 2-piece comfort seat looks more plush than the 1-piece comfort seat. Has anyone tried the 2-piece Sport-Touring comfort seat from Seat Concepts? It looks wider and more of the bucket shape, like the seat on a touring bike. They mount it to the stock seat pan and I wonder/worry how well the added width is supported??

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I'm still far from ready to buy a new seat but today another fast and curvy 100 miles had me "not enjoying" the stock seat more than I noticed before (I'm almost at 600 miles). As stated it really wants you all the way forward, if I slide back a bit it feels like I'm sitting on a downslope. The more aggressively I ride the more I notice there is only one sweet spot, and that is a little bit cramped for me. I think I like the idea of a flatter seat profile, or a seat that is more comfortable in its sweet spot.

@Ray Ride4life & @Colddog, I just road two consecutive 300 miles days with Bicycle Shorts on and found they are of no help to me. I am not saying they don't work for some people, just not me. 

I am leaning towards the Seat Concepts "Tour" seat that you mount yourself to the original front seat pan, or the Big-Ugly/Super-Comfortable  looking Russell Day-Long seat, that they mount to the original front pan. I have seen no reports of either of them yet, so I am waiting a bit before I decide.

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I forgot about @JDCooper reply on another post.

JD, are you still liking the touring seat? Can you send a picture of it on your bike? Thank You... Bob

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

For padded shorts, these do really well for the guys a few posts back with issues.

They double the time I can spend on the seat without a break.

Moto-Skiveez® is "Redefining Riding Comfort" by offering unique technical base layers solutions designed specifically for the needs of the motorcycle rider.
  • Thanks 1

@wb22rules with your endorsement, and them having a picture of my 1989 Honda Transalp in their ad, I am gonna give this a try!!! Thank You, I just ordered a pair... Bob

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

@wb22rules My Skiveez showed up today, that was fast! 

They look 3x better than bicycling shorts, as far as padding in the right places and thickness.

Hope to give them a 300 mile ride this weekend.

Showed da wife... told her "Baby Got back" and tried twerking, now my back hurts...

• Haha 3

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 8/5/2022 at 11:47 AM, Hibobb said:

@DuncMan, I have not tried "Cool Covers" but I have tried Beads, Sheepskin, Air Hawk, Gel, etc.... all to no avail.

I agree the custom seat are ridiculously priced, but I am limiting myself on how far I can ride without one!

Wider seat lessens the pounds per square inch... getting older sucks!

I have a cool cover. It’s more comfortable overall due to the cooling effect and “slightly” relieves some tension from the springy things, but it’s no softer than stock FYI. 

40 minutes ago, Husafreak said:

I am OK with the stock seat but I have not gone on really long or multi day rides yet. I did the free seat foam reshaping hack from this YT video and it is an improvement for me. The seat just feels better and I can stand flat footed over the bike now. Even though I left the top at the same height like in the video. It is tricky to get the shape right though, its kind of hard to see the curves as the light changes when you move the seat around. It is pretty great for off road or standing now, riding aggressively. But my perfect seat would be flatter with a longer sweet spot for technical riding and something like a Sargent shape for long distance touring.

Think you’ve added the wrong link

• Like 2

I am OK with the stock seat but I have not gone on really long or multi day rides yet. I did the free seat foam reshaping hack from this YT video and it is an improvement for me. The seat just feels better and I can stand flat footed over the bike now. Even though I left the top at the same height like in the video. It is tricky to get the shape right though, its kind of hard to see the curves as the light changes when you move the seat around. It is pretty great for off road or standing now, riding aggressively. But my perfect seat would be flatter with a longer sweet spot for technical riding and something like a Sargent shape for long distance touring.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Husafreak said:

Have you been able to use a regular hand stapler? Or do you had to use an air/electric one? Sometimes the plastic seat support can be really tough for the regular hand stapler..
Also beside the reshaping and you being able to stay better over the bike, do you feel less hot spots, less pain on longer trips, etc?

I walked over to my buddies garage and used his air stapler and SS staples 🙂

I’ve tried with hand staplers before, not so good.

like I said no long rides yet, a 90 miler, but it just feels better. I don’t know about you but my butt isn’t square 😉

you will notice the sharp corners are gone.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 8:09 PM, Hibobb said:

They look 3x better than bicycling shorts, as far as padding in the right places and thickness.

Showed da wife... told her "Baby Got back" and tried twerking, now my back hurts...

How are these working out for you?

@kainic, I have been a bit busy and have not taken a longer ride to give these shorts a true test. I have high hopes for them, they look like what I had hoped for... and more!

Hopefully in the next week or so I can go for a extended ride and report back.

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I have a VStrom and I removed the four rubber bumpers under the seat and was able to lower the seat somewhere between 1/2" and 1".   Has anyone tried this with the T7?   

I only have a 30" inseam and am worried about too much "tippy toe".   I bought boots with a deeper heal, but don't think that's going to be enough.

Have thought about the Seat Concepts lower seat, but even their website says that by removing foam it's going to make the seat less comfortable.   Plus the Seat Concepts seat is 3" wider than the OEM seat, which will make worse my reach to the ground.

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

I'm just a two hour "day tripper" but have nearly great success with the stock seat and high-quality, padded bike shorts.

I did NOT enjoy the stock seat without the padded shorts. Reminded me of my stock KTM dirt bike seats. 😬

Thanks for the link to Moto-Skiveez I decided to try their shorts and socks. I always ride dirt bikes with bicycling shorts and big thick knee length socks so it's worth a try and I needed long socks anyway.

I guess I'll have to find some appropriate boots for this style of riding too. It's weird because moto stuff is great for up to 100 miles of trail but when you add a couple hundred of road to that motocross boots and gear are just not the answer.

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2022 at 5:09 PM, Hibobb said:

@Hibobbhow do you like your Skiveez ?

@NeilW I like them better than bicycle shorts, much better padding. Yes, I recommend them.

I will never be comfortable putting 500 mile days in on this bike, I think the majority of my issue is a 64 year old buttox. Seat concept comfort seat helped, but not enough. Seat concept tour seat helped, but still not enough. Air hawk on top of touring seat was interesting... but way too tall. Right now I am back to the S/C touring seat and ok for 200+ miles days. I add the skiveez if I have to ride further.... I know this is not meant to be a touring bike, but I like to ADV-Tour and my old ST1100 is 700+ pounds!

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Another vote for the Sargent seat. Have not done long rides, but it is quite an improvement over stock, and I think it works better for me than the Corbin. Definitely better reach to ground, and like mentioned above, not a lot of padding on the Sargent, but somehow it is pretty comfy.

So now I have two seats, the stock one and the Yamaha Rally Seat. Both were “shaped” by me to have a more rounded profile. I definitely notice a difference but not so much in distance or time I can be in the saddle. The rally seat is taller so I don’t feel scrunched up as much, better for my knees. It is flatter so I can move around a bit more fore and aft which is nice. But it is not more comfortable, I rode 400 miles over the weekend and didn’t notice it being more comfy. After 200 miles I’m starting to squirm around. The stock seat is nice because I’m short of 5’-11” and with the stock seat I can put both feet flat on the ground, but with the rally seat I notice that the bike is a bit taller. I did a Dual Sport event on the stock seat, 800 miles in 4 days but the weekend was the off-road stuff, and I think the lower seat height was a good thing sometimes. The extra foam in the taller rally seat doesn’t seem to make it more comfortable. Just easier on my knees.

I also got Moto Skivvies and while I like them for riding (instead of my usual bike shorts) the large size I got seems kind of big and they are uncomfortable to walk around in, right up da but :0 They don’t seem to increase my range much…

I think there may be a Seargent seat or something similar in my future. One of the big reasons I got the T7 was to be able to do longer road oriented rides so hopefully there is a pan style seat out there that will make 400 mile days even possible for me. 

34EF2AB7-7D7F-4FC8-9A4B-E960EB54A7EE.jpeg

• Like 1

OEM seat with a cool cover, recently did a 'saddle sore' 1000 miler by the time i got home it was close to 1700 miles pressure points where i sit felt like a cross between nappy rash and bed sores i could feel the pattern of the cool cover for days after.

Looking at a sergeant seat  i had one on my 1200 GSA it was fine but they are heading north of £350.00 for the T7 so i am trying a pair of moto skiveez pants first first impressions after a 100 mile ride are favourable although it feels like you are walking around with a pair of incontinence pants on but i'm off to Somerset and back next week that will be a better test and will decide if i get a sergeant seat or not.    

• Like 1