Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Center stand comparison

Totti

45 minutes ago, Peerzilla said:

Hello Toppie, are you satisfied with the stand?

Yes, I am. It's well made and strong.

Good double spring makes it return to resting position firmly and keeps it there.

Finish seems good. Paint/ Welding etc

• Like 1

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

Hi all, 

I have just mounted the center stand from the Romanian company Heavy Duties.

The stand is lighter (and cheaper) than the Yamaha original but it is sturdy enough for what it's for.

Good craftsmanship and very easy to mount.

You can see how it looks on the bike. 

Overall, very satisfied with it.

Cheers

IMG_20220615_172534.jpg

IMG_20220615_172617.jpg

IMG_20220615_172649.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/13/2021 at 12:09 AM, Unzy said:

Has anyone tried one of these Chinese centrestands yet?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254854543326

Chinese centerstand bought off Amazon installed today with no issues any different from HB installs noted already.  I need to adjust my chain due to new bike with lots of stretch, but obviously it runs close to this design.  I tucked it up as tight as possible before tightening all the bolts and suspect I could get more clearance by loosening up the bolts and pulling the stand downward before tightening again.

20221116_165913[1].jpg

20221116_165837[1].jpg

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, RobR said:

Anyone know of a center stand that works with an AXP skid plate?

Hepco&Becker, according to AXP (I considered their skid, that's why I remember). I just dismounted my centerstand, but probably shipping it to the US is prohibitively expensive...

I think the most important thing to consider when buying one is how far the kick lever sticks out.  The OEM one is super long and angled,  people have reported it snagging on things. 

1 hour ago, winddown said:

I think the most important thing to consider when buying one is how far the kick lever sticks out.  The OEM one is super long and angled,  people have reported it snagging on things. 

True, the OEM is enormous. The H&B is the complete opposite, very narrow and with a rather short foot lever (pointing upwards mostly, not tilting sideways). Looks quite good, but requires proper technique for getting it on the stand due to less efficient leverage.

• Like 1

• Members

Thanks for the info.  I like how slim and close to the bike the H&B mounts.  My concern is that chain clearance.  From the picks I've seen, a loose chain might slap at it.  I have a tendency to run a loose chain off road.

2 hours ago, RobR said:

Thanks for the info.  I like how slim and close to the bike the H&B mounts.  My concern is that chain clearance.  From the picks I've seen, a loose chain might slap at it.  I have a tendency to run a loose chain off road.

No problem: Just add a slightly thicker rubber bumper. I did it because of chain rub when the suspension was fully extended with +25mm travel.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an OEM center stand lever failure from off a kawasaki 1100 I owned back in the early 2000's.  Water got in  and caused some rust which may or may not have exacerbated the failure.  Don't bother trying to diagnose this break from the pix, or solve JFK's assasination for that matter, just be aware of what can happen.  With so many different versions of this stand one is bound to show weaknesses over time.

Damage-0.jpg.d6c1d356a42b8491288e250766e0a43b.jpg

damage-1.jpg.12459bd9b479124255bfffb0d2b3c175.jpg

Repair-0.jpg.49cf72342a730a52918a329ac4a6aeb8.jpg

• Haha 1

I read that AltRider had an aluminum center stand. This could be very good to prevent it from flopping around. Since its lighter then it'd be easier for the spring to hold it up against the belly of the bike. Haven heard much about them though.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:03 PM, Revy said:

I read that AltRider had an aluminum center stand. This could be very good to prevent it from flopping around. Since its lighter then it'd be easier for the spring to hold it up against the belly of the bike. Haven heard much about them though.

Just ordered one last night.  Should be able to install it in two weeks.  I'll do a short write-up on it.   I agree the spring pressure needed would be greatly reduced by the less weight, that said by the pics the stand comes with one spring that "looks" lighter. 

Just found this video...

Edit: 3/29/22  Install thread as promised above  

Edited by Toymaster

Just got a knockoff H&B stand from Amazon.  Figured at about $120 CAD it was worth the risk (I mean, worse case scenario and it fails, I pick up the bike and go on about my day).  Welds look good, powdercoat is nice.  Going to be installing it this coming week.  As far as I can see, it's identical to the H&B stands, and it looks like it even includes their own instructions.  

While lighter than the OEM stand (and way, WAY cheaper) it's definitely not light.  I'd guess 8lbs, though I haven't weighed it.  Spring is *STRONK*.  All in all, it actually seems much higher quality than I expected it to be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 2:57 PM, Toymaster said:

Just ordered one last night.  Should be able to install it in two weeks.  I'll do a short write-up on it.   I agree the spring pressure needed would be greatly reduced by the less weight, that said by the pics the stand comes with one spring that "looks" lighter. 

Just found this video...

Just got one also...waiting for it to arrive. Been on the lookout ever since they announced it many moons ago.  it went through SEVERAL iterations before they released it, so I'm excited to get it.  Also picked up their new adjustable aluminum side stand (with build in bigger foot) to accommodate the new (taller) ride height, wink wink.

Here's what the side stand looks like:

image.jpeg.f532e81e3f7f859bde04eba3eed298fa.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 10:06 PM, Wintersdark said:

Just got a knockoff H&B stand from Amazon.  Figured at about $120 CAD it was worth the risk (I mean, worse case scenario and it fails, I pick up the bike and go on about my day).  Welds look good, powdercoat is nice.  Going to be installing it this coming week.  As far as I can see, it's identical to the H&B stands, and it looks like it even includes their own instructions.  

While lighter than the OEM stand (and way, WAY cheaper) it's definitely not light.  I'd guess 8lbs, though I haven't weighed it.  Spring is *STRONK*.  All in all, it actually seems much higher quality than I expected it to be.

I went with that one but had to relocate the stop blocks (cut and reweld) as the extended stand pivoted too far forward, requiring you to put your foot in front of the stand when pushing it forward.  Pain to do but well worth it.  I don't intend to leave the center stand on the bike anyhow as I don't want the added weight.

• 4 months later...
On 6/15/2022 at 9:59 AM, nickmonte said:

Hi all, 

I have just mounted the center stand from the Romanian company Heavy Duties.

The stand is lighter (and cheaper) than the Yamaha original but it is sturdy enough for what it's for.

Good craftsmanship and very easy to mount.

You can see how it looks on the bike. 

Overall, very satisfied with it.

Cheers

IMG_20220615_172534.jpg

IMG_20220615_172617.jpg

IMG_20220615_172649.jpg

It looks like this stand is back in stock, but they don't ship the US ... bummer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I installed the SW Motech stand, it went on easily and works perfectly.

Here is what my research says...

image.png.0fbc26bb54af167a632a025633fe6377.png

image.png.931b3ee3597a8302e9b3207b3ed6d196.png

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 8/18/2023 at 3:50 AM, discoganya said:

Recently I installed the SW Motech stand, it went on easily and works perfectly.

Here is what my research says...

image.png.0fbc26bb54af167a632a025633fe6377.png

image.png.931b3ee3597a8302e9b3207b3ed6d196.png

Does the price always correspond to the quality? That is the question...

• 2 weeks later...

The OEM version is definetly overpriced, unless it's made of gold, oil and balsam.

• Like 1

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced