Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tubeless rim options for the Tenere?

Tazmool

I've had the rear tire off twice: once for a puncture repair, it was a bitch to break the bead. I have a tire machine (cheap Tusk) and have done a lot of dirt bike tires so not totally inexperienced. The second time I took the tire off was much easier. 

Took it off the second time to do the Outex TL conversion as I realized a repair on a trip would require major effort and every other vehicle I own is tubeless: dirt bike, cars, truck, bicycle. After reading a bit on the Outex and seeing some comments on grinding the spoke nipples decided that was a no go for me. Risk of failure just too high. I installed the system exactly per the instructions but could not get it to seal. If the tape had been as wide as the well in the rim it would have worked. Gave up and reinstalled the tube with a plan to get some 3M tape and try to seal it with that. We'll see if that works.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sracer said:

I've had the rear tire off twice: once for a puncture repair, it was a bitch to break the bead. I have a tire machine (cheap Tusk) and have done a lot of dirt bike tires so not totally inexperienced. The second time I took the tire off was much easier. 

Took it off the second time to do the Outex TL conversion as I realized a repair on a trip would require major effort and every other vehicle I own is tubeless: dirt bike, cars, truck, bicycle. After reading a bit on the Outex and seeing some comments on grinding the spoke nipples decided that was a no go for me. Risk of failure just too high. I installed the system exactly per the instructions but could not get it to seal. If the tape had been as wide as the well in the rim it would have worked. Gave up and reinstalled the tube with a plan to get some 3M tape and try to seal it with that. We'll see if that works.

I’ve done my front and rear without any problems. Checked the pressure yesterday and the front is down 3 psi and rear 0 and that’s from 6 weeks ago.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, R007t said:

Here is the tube that was removed from the rear wheel. Looks like it can fit several wheel sizes !

IMG_1427.jpg

Many thanks that's very helpful! 

Just got my OUTEX kit and it’s the first time i’ve seen/heard of this kit coming with contact adhesive to use on the nipples before applying the small nipple tape seal. Anyone else?

615BF133-FE3B-4C1E-8803-C92CE815DF03.jpeg

Did you order from Woodys Wheel works? I understand they include that as an extra seal.

I ordered the kit from outex and did not get the goop, if I had known about it before hand I would have done it as well.

Mike

• Like 2

Just now, MikeCMP said:

Did you order from Woodys Wheel works? I understand they include that as an extra seal.

I ordered the kit from outex and did not get the goop, if I had known about it before hand I would have done it as well.

Mike

Thanks. Yup. Ordered from Woodys.

On 11/20/2020 at 5:09 PM, Mike S said:

I just tried to experiment so I took the front wheel off the Tenere and attempted to break the bead so I would be able to change or patch the tube in the field. I finally managed to remove the tire off of the rim but it took about an hour and a LOT of fussing and cussing. I then tried the same on the rear and ended up taking the complete wheel to my local motorcycle dealer and even he had a HARD time using his tire machine. Bottom line is I don’t think I could ever repair a flat on the trail. I contacted Woody’s Wheel Works in Colorado and I am having tubeless rims mounted on my hubs and the anti-leak treatment will be done on both wheels. I know that I can plug a tire and get back on the bike and ride it back home! Has anybody else attempted to repair a flat?

Not yet but, it is my biggest concern with this bike. Much rather go tubeless if I can manage the bill.

I just got mine back from

Woody's Wheel Works at 

2200 S Jason St
Denver, CO 80223
Everything looks beefier and now I'm getting tires put on.
They recommend using Bead Seal when installing the tires as they have had minor leaks with certain tires.

3 hours ago, Amani said:

Not yet but, it is my biggest concern with this bike. Much rather go tubeless if I can manage the bill.

I tried to break the bead off the factory installed tire with the eastbound bead breaker in my tool kit. Not even close. Had to use my no mar machine and it was still hard.

converted to tubeless  , and of course the bead leaks in consistent spots on both tires. Have some bead seal coming, never had to use it before .

Mike

1 hour ago, 29er said:

This works for me every time. Use the built in bead breaker already fitted to the bike - the side stand.. 😀

I’ve seen that done, I have the bike on a jack with both wheels up and off, and no center stand. Not saying it’s impossible but I have on,y seen that trick done with a center stand. 

on the trail I have the endurance trail stand and no way you could use the side stand to break the bead

Mike

On 1/25/2021 at 9:25 PM, Vtamb81 said:

Just got my OUTEX kit and it’s the first time i’ve seen/heard of this kit coming with contact adhesive to use on the nipples before applying the small nipple tape seal. Anyone else?

UPDATE: install was pretty straight forward. With how much the nipples protrude into the rim, I feel MUCH more confident with the contact adhesive over each nipple AND the tape over the entire area. About 4 hrs post-install and haven’t lost any pressure....we’ll see how this grand experiment goes!

53443055-2A24-4D34-A923-0DDB04F3974C.jpeg

99657252-C122-48D6-A003-AD0FFCEC46F5.jpeg

7763F61D-EB57-4F07-AA90-4BEBEF5710B7.jpeg

0F649406-6C07-43D6-BBAC-435F27ABCF3A.jpeg

Edited by Vtamb81
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Vtamb81 said:

UPDATE: install was pretty straight forward. With how much the nipples protrude into the rim, I feel MUCH more confident with the contact adhesive over each nipple AND the tape over the entire area. About 4 hrs post-install and haven’t lost any pressure....we’ll see how this grand experiment goes!

53443055-2A24-4D34-A923-0DDB04F3974C.jpeg

99657252-C122-48D6-A003-AD0FFCEC46F5.jpeg

7763F61D-EB57-4F07-AA90-4BEBEF5710B7.jpeg

0F649406-6C07-43D6-BBAC-435F27ABCF3A.jpeg

Wish I had used the goop! I had a leaky spok on both wheels. Got them sorted but its a pain to have to dismount remount tires 🙂

Mike

26 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

Wish I had used the goop! I had a leaky spok on both wheels. Got them sorted but its a pain to have to dismount remount tires 🙂

Mike

I hear you man. I did it with a riding buddy. Dismounting 4 old tires and remounting 4 new tires...feel like I’ve been in a fight!

glad you’ve got the sorted. 

Just now, Vtamb81 said:

I hear you man. I did it with a riding buddy. Dismounting 4 old tires and remounting 4 new tires...feel like I’ve been in a fight!

glad you’ve got the sorted. 

well, mostly sorted. I found the Motoz RallZ rear tire had a damaged bead and I am almost certain i did not damage it as I use the No-Mar tire machine, and these are like little divots in the tire. I filed a warranty claim, bead seal seemed to stop it from leaking but without sealant it was leaking on the rim.

had a similar issue on the front wheel, the motoz tires have the little mold release rubber bits, some of those are on the damn bead, so that made the bead leak. So stupid. It's possible that some of those got ripped out on the rear tire or something. 

If I have more trouble with it I can always run a tube but that would really suck 😞

Mike

1 minute ago, MikeCMP said:

well, mostly sorted. I found the Motoz RallZ rear tire had a damaged bead and I am almost certain i did not damage it as I use the No-Mar tire machine, and these are like little divots in the tire. I filed a warranty claim, bead seal seemed to stop it from leaking but without sealant it was leaking on the rim.

had a similar issue on the front wheel, the motoz tires have the little mold release rubber bits, some of those are on the damn bead, so that made the bead leak. So stupid. It's possible that some of those got ripped out on the rear tire or something. 

If I have more trouble with it I can always run a tube but that would really suck 😞

Mike

Man that sucks. I struggled deciding between the Motoz and Michelin Anakee Wilds because I loved my MOTOZ on my WR. Went with the Michelin’s because I hadn’t tried them before, and because of their exponentially higher R&D budget and experience. maybe it paid off, who knows. 

My buddy went with the Dunlop Trailmax Missions. Both beads sealed fine, but I had bought some bead sealer just in case (didn’t end up using). 

At least you should be good to go now. Hopefully for the lifetime of the tire!

@Vtamb81, @Mike S (and others as applicable):  were you able to get any sort of discount / promo code with Woody's Wheel Works for your OutEx kit?  I'm looking at doing OutEx conversion on my rear wheel, just didn't know if there was an opportunity to save a few bucks.

On 1/26/2021 at 2:25 AM, Vtamb81 said:

With using the GOOP, can the spokes still be tightened/loosened?

2 minutes ago, Alf Meister said:

Good question.

The normal route instructions suggest you air down the tire adjust spokes then air back up. this ut a new wrinkle on it for sure

Though, if my other bikes are any indication, after you have it broken in and adjusted the wpokes once, they usually don't need adjusted again. 

Great Distances

No discounts that I know of. The wheels look dramatically stronger as the rear now is a three cross and they both have larger spokes and the instructions that came with the wheels indicates that retightening is not needed! The seal kit installation looks perfect and the rims are beefier, too! I'm pleased with the quality of the spokes and rims and the I am pleased with the work they did! The only place I could see to save money is by avoiding certain colors on the rims.

Edited by Mike S
spelling!
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Great Distances

No discounts that I know of. The wheels look dramatically stronger as the rear now is a three cross and they both have larger spokes and the instructions that came with the wheels indicates that retightening is not needed! The seal kit installation looks perfect and the rims are beefier, too! I'm pleased with the quality of the spokes and rims and the I am pleases with the work they did! The only place I could see to save money is by avoiding certain colors on the rims.

Gotcha, thanks Mike.  What options did you go for on your new wheels + spokes, and did you reuse your hubs or get new ones from Woody's?

Great Distances,

My order:

Seal for tubeless

Lace & True - Supersize and Superlace

Spokes and nipples - stainless nipples -Saw a few complaints about Yamaha oem finish and discoloration

Enduro rear rim Excel 7000 Series - 18x4.25 silver finish - less than gold or black

Enduro front rim Excel 7000- 21x2.15 - also silver - heard of a few guys bending the oem rims!

Kept my hubs to avoid the extra expense. I didn't want to buy an extra set of rotors and speed wheels to have an extra set!

They appear to be indestructible!

Lots of good info on their website!

Edited by Mike S
spelling!
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Alf Meister said:

I don’t believe so. I’ve got about 3500 miles on the bike, I just torqued the spokes prior to install. 

21 hours ago, Mike S said:

Great Distances,

My order:

Seal for tubeless

Lace & True - Supersize and Superlace

Spokes and nipples - stainless nipples -Saw a few complaints about Yamaha oem finish and discoloration

Enduro rear rim Excel 7000 Series - 18x4.25 silver finish - less than gold or black

Enduro front rim Excel 7000- 21x2.15 - also silver - heard of a few guys bending the oem rims!

Kept my hubs to avoid the extra expense. I didn't want to buy an extra set of rotors and speed wheels to have an extra set!

They appear to be indestructible!

Lots of good info on their website!

Mine are at Woody's right now having the same done as yours except with the gold rims. I have used Woody's several times in the past. They always do great work. 

Edited by darmahman