Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

The New Honda Transalp

Hogan

So the latest news is that a new Transalp based on the 750cc parallel twin being developed for the confirmed New Honda Hornet is looking very likely.

Wondering what people's thoughts are on it, and would you jump over to the red ship?

Some are saying that the Transalp will basically be some soft ADV akin to the Vstrom, that won't really compete with the T7.

But I think it's going to give the T7 a run for it's money.

There are no confirmed specs but based on the spy pics it looks to have a more reasonable wheel base (closer to 1500mm) than the limousine that is the T7.

Front wheel size is hard to tell but it looks skinny to me. More likely a 21" than a 19". But they are wire spoke wheels.

Suspension will probably be half-decent and I would suspect more on the soft side of things. It's not as if the T7 suspension is premium anyway. Hondas have always had softer suspension then their Yamaha equivalents.

Engine position is much lower and should help with feel & handling.

Based on the Africa Twin, seat height might be more reasonable compared to the T7,

Power will be interesting. Some sources are saying 90HP for the new Hornet. So that will be quite a boost over the T7 assuming the engine is used unmodified, which I suspect it will be.

Price will always be the deciding factor though. Depending where Honda manufacture this bike (Japan or Thailand) it could also end up being a very affordable alternative. The T7 has jumped in price, at least in Australia. I paid $16500 dolaroos, but they are now asking closer to $19.5k for a new base model T7. Personally I wouldn't pay that much for the bike.

Looks are subjective, but it doesn't look like total arse. It's definitely taking after the NC750/CB500x line more than the AT line, which makes sense.

I'll be giving it a good look though. But my initial thoughts are that it won't be worth changing over from a T7, but it might be a better bike to buy over the T7 if you don't already have one.

The one thing that might make me consider buying one, is a DCT option. Though there has been no mention of it for the Hornet, I have to wonder how much longer Honda will maintain the NC750 line up,which is famous for it's DCT, along side this new engine/chassis. Assuming they don't want to phase out DCT in the mid engine size segment it would make sense to develop it for the new engine.

• Moderators

I've been a Honda fan for years, but obviously Yamaha built the right bike for my needs this time around. I like Honda quality and although the 90 hp "sounds" better,  than the 72 the T7 has, in practical application I really only see the extra 18 ponies useful on the street for passing performance as I don't need any more power in the dirt, the T7 works just fine. I think the deciding factors on how well the Transalp sells will be the weight and suspension package and how well the handling works out. The pics I've seen appear to have the traditional over the Backbone fuel tank, like the T7, so guessing the COG will be similar. Pricing should be close to the T7, will be interesting to watch, but the T7 has as a permanent spot in my garage as anything I've owned for years and I don't think Honda will change that. 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I wonder if it will rather be a small AT. Rode two ATs yesterday for the first time. DCT kills the fun for me personally (I tried it only onroad), but in a lot of offroad situations makes sense or at least makes life easier.

The AT is way more road focused than the T7. IMHO, the T7 is a big dual sport with great road handling and not-so-great road comfort. I guess the Transalp might be more comfort-oriented, just like an F850GS. But this is pure guesswork.

• Like 1

They’re going to one-up Yamaha in at least one or two small, but key areas. That’s how competition works. 

if you’re constantly chasing that next, new, thing, you’re going to miss out on what you’ve got. 

• Like 2

I think its a good looking bike.  It definately looks like its competing with the Vstrom/ Versus/ GS to me.  Maybe it will do a better job than them though?  

Is that 3 exhaust headers I see?

I bet it comes with a more comfortable seat!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in a Transalp 750 with the DCT……but won’t consider it if it has tubed wheels.  I just rode my neighbor’s  new Aprilia 660 Touareg  which has cruise, tubeless spoked wheels, and a TFT dash panel.  I would replace my T7 with the Aprilia if the closest dealer wasn’t 250 miles away……awesome motorcycle for about $2000.00 more than the T7.  Modern conveniences have become essential in my mid 60s.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 1

I have always liked Hondas. Especially Africa twins (650/750). But I’m Tenere through and through. I love the KISS approach for middle of nowhere bikes. Just need that kick starter on the t7👍😁

• Like 4

I take my time before buying any bike, a couple of months of research typically, get one that best suits my purposes, then I keep it for about 7 or 8 years.  I  only swap out if my purposes for the bike changed or something markedly better comes along.   The T7's an excellent bike for long trips on rural Australian roads.  For another bike to exceed it's performance for that purpose would be something to see.

There are a lot of problematic bikes on the market now and there is no way I will buy any bike that hasn't 3 or more years in production so I can see what it's really like, so they can get the bugs out. 

• Like 1

I think we'll see a lower BHP, higher mid range torque version of the new Hornet engine in the new Transalp, more suited to its dual sport role. If it carries its weight lower than the T7 and has a lower seat height, it'll certainly provide hot competition. The reality is that the T7 is too tall for many riders. I'd love to see two versions introduced - one with 21" tubed tyres for the 80% off road users, and one with 19" tubeless tyres for the 80% pavement users (ie like the old Transalp). I'd buy the 19" tubeless version tomorrow......unless Yamaha brought out a soft roader Tenere, of course!

Edited by Tigerjohn

If it wants to really compete as a real offroader they should keep technology to a minimum. Only Yamaha seem to understand that stranding on a trail has the most change being solved at te spot when there's just the bare minimum of technology.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

If it wants to really compete as a real offroader they should keep technology to a minimum. Only Yamaha seem to understand that stranding on a trail has the most change being solved at te spot when there's just the bare minimum of technology.

And it looks like only Yamaha can offer an engine which is equal capable onroad and offroad, and with smooth power delivery.

To me it looks like all other bikes just need ride-by-wire and traction control, so that they can be actually ridden with confidence.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

And it looks like only Yamaha can offer an engine which is equal capable onroad and offroad, and with smooth power delivery.

To me it looks like all other bikes just need ride-by-wire and traction control, so that they can be actually ridden with confidence.

I think the consumer is the problem.
Most people ride most onroad and offroad not too crazy and never would get themselves in such a situation so they all go for gadgets and gismo's.
On my trip was on the main roads it was all GS-es, Pan Europeans and other technology packed bikes. Offroad i saw one Africa Twin and a small GS and the rest was older bikes, CRF's, a few Himalayans or real enduro bikes.

• Like 1

I think all that crap on new bikes is driven by the marketing guys. Bells, whistles, gizmos... are just sales tools.

Old enduro guys and world travelers don't need or want 150 horsepower and 7 traction modes. Heck, I don't want liquid cooling or fuel injection. I have 30 and 40 years old bikes that I still ride with confidence. My 1989 Transalp still runs great and does everything I need it to. I am sure there are plenty of BMW AirHead fans out there. They have been selling Honda XR650L's and Suzuki DR650's forever and they are as durable as cockroaches. 

Yes, I am guilty of getting a T7 and putting $1,500 of useless crap on it, and I will be watching for the new Honda Transalp with lust in my heart. My reasoning is I am old and I ain't going to leave my money to no useless grandkid with a weird haircut and a Smartphone wired to his head!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators

If the 2023 Hornet specs are indicative of what the new Transalp will have, the T7 could have some real competition.   Cycleworld shows 90.5 hp and a 31.3" seat height, but the really interesting figure is the Claimed 419 lbs wet weight. If that holds true for the Transalp, the lower seat height and 33 lb. weight deduction would make for a better handling bike and appeal to more folks that weren't blessed with a 36" inseam.  The article linked spent the first paragraph pointing Yamaha's successes, so no doubt Honda has taken a page out of their book in using that engine for multiple platforms. 

It'll be interesting to see what the new Transalp looks like, but if the above attributes transfer over along with a competitive price point,  Honda may have a real winner.

Honda has been teasing its new Hornet and the parallel twin that will power a new range of models. Both were just unveiled at the Intermot show in Europe.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

DCT is cool, but wasn't enough to sway me out of the gravitational pull of my 2011 GS1200.  And I hated that big girl at times.  I am already wondering when I will sell this one to buy a newer model T7.  I placed my order with my dealer for a last model when I rode this one for the first time.  My unicorn.

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

If the 2023 Hornet specs are indicative of what the new Transalp will have, the T7 could have some real competition.   Cycleworld shows 90.5 hp and a 31.3" seat height, but the really interesting figure is the Claimed 419 lbs wet weight. If that holds true for the Transalp, the lower seat height and 33 lb. weight deduction would make for a better handling bike and appeal to more folks that weren't blessed with a 36" inseam.  The article linked spent the first paragraph pointing Yamaha's successes, so no doubt Honda has taken a page out of their book in using that engine for multiple platforms. 

It'll be interesting to see what the new Transalp looks like, but if the above attributes transfer over along with a competitive price point,  Honda may have a real winner.

Honda has been teasing its new Hornet and the parallel twin that will power a new range of models. Both were just unveiled at the Intermot show in Europe.

The Transalp will be heavier than the Hornet like the T7 to the MT07.  But if that puts the Transalp around 450, the T7's weight, that will pair nicley with 90 HP & 31.3" inseam for alot of people.  If the COG happnes to be lower too that will be the icing on the cake for alot, especially the "Honda reliability" crowd.  The T7 may loose some sales on this bike.

On 9/25/2022 at 9:54 AM, DT675 said:

It definately looks like its competing with the Vstrom/ Versus/ GS to me.   

I may already be changing my mind on this comment.

I am really enjoying my T7, but if the specs are decent, a new TA may lure me away.  Mainly for emotional/sentimental reasons because I have such fond memories of my 89 TA.  And it makes my email address easier to explain. 🙂

Edited by transalper

Concept rendering...  looks good from here!!!!   O_o  wow!!!

/ edit /   ...the black rims and knobby tires make it look naughty  [c:

transalp 1.jpg

Edited by chadio
  • Like 2

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

Great look, imho.

But am I the only one to wonder why all manufacturers continue to copy Yamaha's biggest design flaw on the T7, the side-mount exhaust?

I know, they might have a better pipe hanger solution, but anyway: you're going to scratch that muffler.

It's definitely interesting.  Personally, I'm not going to trade in the T7 regardless, the TA isn't going to be so much better as to be worth investing in another likely more expensive bike and all new suspension components, guards, and all that.  

It's Honda, and the TA doesn't look like a minimalist bike.  I suspect *at best* it'll be a little better than the T7 in a bunch of ways but a lot more expensive. 

If I didn't have the T7, I'd certainly be considering it though. 

But a little more power (I'm going to guess, in practice, +10hp), ride modes and such aren't a big deal to me.  And a lower seat height?  I've raised mine.  The T7's seat-to-peg height is it's best feature for me.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

It's definitely interesting.  Personally, I'm not going to trade in the T7 regardless, the TA isn't going to be so much better as to be worth investing in another likely more expensive bike and all new suspension components, guards, and all that.  

It's Honda, and the TA doesn't look like a minimalist bike.  I suspect *at best* it'll be a little better than the T7 in a bunch of ways but a lot more expensive. 

If I didn't have the T7, I'd certainly be considering it though. 

But a little more power (I'm going to guess, in practice, +10hp), ride modes and such aren't a big deal to me.  And a lower seat height?  I've raised mine.  The T7's seat-to-peg height is it's best feature for me.

100% agree

All the bikes I've owned previously were Hondas. I'm a fan.
That said, I would anticipate that it will be exactly like the previous Transalp: Good motor, mushy suspension, too little travel, too heavy, super reliable. Same way they did my XL600R from the factory...

39 minutes ago, PNGL said:

Transalp: Good motor, mushy suspension, too little travel, too heavy, super reliable

You may be 100% right, but I want one. In a preemptive strike, I asked my dealer to put me on a list for one. No idea when they will show up in North America, but winter is fast approaching and it gives me something to dream about....

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~