Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What are the top five first upgrades that help the Tenere 700?

Cruizin

For me, these were the "musts" to make it perfect for me

1- Camel anti-bobble head brackets 

2- Shock AND Fork springs for my weight

3- Better seat

4- Highway Dirtbike handguards (whatever your favorite brand is)

5- Upswept exhaust. I went with the CAMEL, love it.

6- Bigger foot pegs

7- Rekluse

Everything else for me was "nice" to have like GPS mount, a power distribution block, smaller LED blinkers and a tail tidy

• Like 3

Top 5 eh.

1-Camel anti bobble head.

2-Camel one finger clutch kit.

3-Rear luggage rack.

4-Camel tail tidy.

5-Camel gut guard.

And if I can add a 6th item it would be crash bars of your choice.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

For me:

1. Crash bars, because I bought this bike specifically to beat the crap out of it.  Side note: Heed rear bars are great, but really complicate rear racks and such options, so consider your whole package before jumping on them.  That said, they're extremely strong, make good handles, and really protect the rear plastics.  Side note 2: The OEM crash bars work well, but they're pretty weak.  I'll be replacing mine with some Heed bunker bars, as I've managed to bend both sides in to be nearly touching plastics.  Of course, if you're better at offroad riding than me and don't do stupid stuff, the OEM bars will probably be fine.  They've survived 3 drops now, and they've done their job fully protecting the bike.
  2. Rear luggage rack.  I've got soft bags and a cargo net, but I don't like to leave the soft bags on for daily riding and the rear portion of the seat is very narrow so packing stuff on the bike without bags is a PITA.  A rear rack greatly increases the ease of mounting stuff.
  3. Upswept exhaust.  Like #1, if you're not bad this may be less of an issue, but if you drop the bike on the right, it'll bend the stock exhaust into the swingarm, potentially damaging both.  I have a Huzar system, which looks and sounds great and was incredibly inexpensive.  I like the Camel system too, but didn't want to start cutting stuff (and, as with #1 above, I already had the Heed rear crash bars which complicated stuff) 
  4. Heated grips.  Everyone needs heated grips.
  5. Don't have them yet, but springs for the forks and shock.  It's fiddly, because US vendors are extremely expensive to deal with from here, and I'm a big boi - some vendors have appropriate fork springs, others have appropriate shock springs, but none seem to have both and shipping is ridiculously expensive.  @Landshark do you have recommendations for sourcing springs here?
  • Like 2

Stadium suspension in Montreal have springs for our bikes.  

They didn't have stock when I was looking, so I went with Ktech springs front and rear.  

K-tech is available through Bayside performance in Vancouver.   You probably won't see the springs on their site, but they are a Ktech dealer and can supply anything K-tech sells.

Figure out what springs you need then email them for a price with the K-tech part numbers for the parts you want.

They will get you a delivered price and you won't need to worry about getting screwed on brokerage fees or surprised with extra costs.

They are great to deal with.  A friend of mine did the same and had springs delivered in less than a couple of weeks I think. 

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

For me:

1. Crash bars, because I bought this bike specifically to beat the crap out of it.  Side note: Heed rear bars are great, but really complicate rear racks and such options, so consider your whole package before jumping on them.  That said, they're extremely strong, make good handles, and really protect the rear plastics.  Side note 2: The OEM crash bars work well, but they're pretty weak.  I'll be replacing mine with some Heed bunker bars, as I've managed to bend both sides in to be nearly touching plastics.  Of course, if you're better at offroad riding than me and don't do stupid stuff, the OEM bars will probably be fine.  They've survived 3 drops now, and they've done their job fully protecting the bike.
  2. Rear luggage rack.  I've got soft bags and a cargo net, but I don't like to leave the soft bags on for daily riding and the rear portion of the seat is very narrow so packing stuff on the bike without bags is a PITA.  A rear rack greatly increases the ease of mounting stuff.
  3. Upswept exhaust.  Like #1, if you're not bad this may be less of an issue, but if you drop the bike on the right, it'll bend the stock exhaust into the swingarm, potentially damaging both.  I have a Huzar system, which looks and sounds great and was incredibly inexpensive.  I like the Camel system too, but didn't want to start cutting stuff (and, as with #1 above, I already had the Heed rear crash bars which complicated stuff) 
  4. Heated grips.  Everyone needs heated grips.
  5. Don't have them yet, but springs for the forks and shock.  It's fiddly, because US vendors are extremely expensive to deal with from here, and I'm a big boi - some vendors have appropriate fork springs, others have appropriate shock springs, but none seem to have both and shipping is ridiculously expensive.  @Landshark do you have recommendations for sourcing springs here?

You could try these guys right in Calgary.  And I'm sure someone on the Alberta dualsport site knows of someone in your area as well.  

25-scaled.jpg

Direct Suspension Services is a Canada based WP Authorized Center servicing all of your motorcycle, dirt bike, and snow bike suspension needs!

• Like 1

First thing i bought after the T7 are crashbars. Want to keep the bike light but lighter halve way of a trip because i lost some covers due to a crash.
Second where some adjustable levers. I have short stubby fingers and the OEM clutch lever is not adjustable and the brake lever not enough.
Adventure Spec bashplate was already on the bike when i bought him. Then the Garmin XT and the anti wobbly head braces and that was number 5 from the most important list.
Other items that are useful for me that i've mounted are the Osco oiler, USB charger heated grips (already on when i bought it), Rally Raid wrenchless monoseat fasteners, tail tidy, power supply for the Gerbing jacket and gloves (riding al year round) and a one off decal kit.
On the way are a LED bar, a waterpump protector cover and some cheap passenger grips to build my own fixing point for the Mosko Motor R40 and R80 kit an maybe also integrate a minimalistic rear end protection.

• Like 1

First Must Upgrades for a new T7 off roader

• Upgrade the bash/ skid plate
  • Crash bars/ engine guard
  • Upgraded to 'real' off road handguards
  • Quality CNC adjustable short clutch and brake levers
  • Seat Concepts Tall Comfort one piece seat (feels cramped for my 6'1 frame)

Noteables:

• Camel Anti-Bobble bracket
  • Camel Tail Tidy
  • Camel High exhaust mount
  • Camel High Fender kit
  • Upgraded off road foot pegs
  • Doubletake Mirrors
  • Like 1

That reminds me i also have some Barkbuster handguards and double take mirrors.
Done already more on the bike than i thought...

1-Proper gear to protect your ass.

2-Proper crash bars to protect your bike.

3-A Tenere 700 shop manual for education.

4-A good attitude.

5-Patience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2021 at 4:46 PM, williestreet said:

Stadium suspension in Montreal have springs for our bikes.  

They didn't have stock when I was looking, so I went with Ktech springs front and rear.  

K-tech is available through Bayside performance in Vancouver.   You probably won't see the springs on their site, but they are a Ktech dealer and can supply anything K-tech sells.

Figure out what springs you need then email them for a price with the K-tech part numbers for the parts you want.

They will get you a delivered price and you won't need to worry about getting screwed on brokerage fees or surprised with extra costs.

They are great to deal with.  A friend of mine did the same and had springs delivered in less than a couple of weeks I think. 

Good to know, they’re just across the ditch from me. Though I’m one of the rare flyweights who can almost get by on stock springs, the cringe worthy clack of these fork bottoms under aggression calls for an upgrade. Static sag is way off & rider sag is borderline. Add the crash bar bags to tour & it’s blown over without any preload adjustments. 

Considering a slightly heavier spring & maybe some preload caps to set things better over winter. To find them that close to home would be a real bonus.

Top 5 ... humm ... (in this order)
1- proper SAG ... with new springs (at least in the rear) ... and suspensions settings done right for your level and terrain (if you jump it - you should spend it)

2- bike protection ... handguards, skidplate, crashbars ... 

3- lifechangers @Camel ADV Anti-Bobble-Head, 1 Finger Clutch Kit  ... https://camel-adv.com/collections/yamaha-700-tenere-t7-parts-and-accessories/products/yamaha-700-tenere-t7-1-finger-clutch-kit

4- Windshield - fix for your height and speed (rails or spoiler)

5- rear rack ... with grips for lifting the bike ... https://outbackmotortek.com/

Writing this I realize that the top 5 are only the tip of the iceberg and there are many "necessities" ... you need to figure out what is important to you based on the way you use it.

Edited by MGG
  • Like 1

My use is nearly all tarmac, due to limited opportunities to go off road in my locality....so i can live without suspension upgrades, heavy duty bash plate, knobbly tyres etc. I don't feel the need for more noise or power, so the stock exhaust can stay. So, here's my 'done' list:

1  RR -20mm Lowering links. I tried the Yamaha low seat first but didn't find it comfy on long trips. At 5' 10", the road surface still seemed a long way off at times. Having dropped other adventure bikes in slow speed turns, I don't want to repeat the performance with the T7!

2  Yamaha Centre stand. For easy maintenance and wheel removal in the field if necessary.  

3  Touratech grab rails. Easier to push the bike around and something for a pillion to hold on to.

4  RR headlight protector. Those LEDs look a bit vulnerable and are an expensive unit to replace.

5  Adventure Spec rack and side panel protectors. Easy to put on to go touring and take off afterwards.

6  Kriega luggage loops. So I can attach my much cheaper Rhinowalk bags!

Proper handguards, fairing protection bars and heated grips might follow!

IMG_20210727_181447.jpg

• Like 1

My most important

1. Sturdier bashplate
  2. Sturdier Hand guards
  3. Crash bars
  4. Lowering link
  5. One finger clutch 

Notables

1. Headlight protector (nearly made it onto the list above)
  2. High tucked away exhaust
  3. Radiator guard
  4. Extended rear brake lever
  5. Wider foot pegs
  6. Rear rack (side pannier plates)
  7. Farkles etc to make it my own 🙂
  • Like 1

Ive seen DoubleTake mirrors mentioned a few times. Are these for those of you taking your bikes off-road on single track? If not, then why the mirror change? Ive found the stock mirrors pretty darn good but I’m not using my bike on single track either. 

53 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Ive seen DoubleTake mirrors mentioned a few times. Are these for those of you taking your bikes off-road on single track? If not, then why the mirror change? Ive found the stock mirrors pretty darn good but I’m not using my bike on single track either. 

I was in a dried out canyon creek bed with rocks and boulders @ Joshua Tree, riding behind a group of ADV riders. When they stopped in place going through a difficult spot to negotiate a boulder drop off,  I had to stop on top of some boulders, too high off the ground to plant a foot. I tipped over to one side. There went one of the stock mirrors. lol

Trona Pinnacles @ Death Valley. Attempting more sections of the CABDR, until I broke my Tibia and Fibula. Oct. '21

BaCqvPjl.jpg

fmdAqFwl.jpg

Q6OPPtNl.jpg

Double take are completely adjustable. You can choose to fold them out of they way. OR If you crash they will bend/twist at all the ball joints to avoid breakage.

I can adjust them so I can actually see behind my broad shoulders. Better visibility than the OEM for me.

Replacement DoubleTake parts and glass are available and are cheap.

Edited by REDHORSECA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DT675 said:

Dropped twice in single track (two different rides) didn't brake them but lifting the bike had me knocking them out of the way and braking them could have been easy. The problem with that is it could be the mount that brakes.

I have ordered some similar to double take, but yes the originals are excellent and I like the look

• Like 1

My add-ons for touring / light off road riding:

I've had my T7 for over a year. In that time I have done some long tours (tarmac), a fair amount of gravel roads, and a few off road trails. What I have realized is that I will not be using this bike as a "dirk bike". I am too old (62) and it's too heavy (although I can still lift it). So I have been setting it up for long tours that might include long sections for gravel roads, but nothing extreme. So to that extent I have bailed on the idea of "real" crash bars and a center stand. Leaving those 2 off the bike saves about 15-25 lbs. For chain maintenance I tip the bike over on the side-stand and place a piece of wood under the opposite peg. I should be able, with struggle, to remove the rear tire with this method to fix a flat (rare event).

So far:

Rally seat (I'm 6'2") - super nice for long days.
Heated Grips (have the oem set which are lackluster (POS) to say the least). Wouldn't get again.

Rox Speed FX 1.5" Barback Pullback Risers - Nice!! Makes standing on the pegs easier and I find that the extra inch or so back is better for my arms. I           always felt that my arms were over-extended with eom setup.
LED Conversion (stock turn signals are ridiculous). Should be stock.
OEM rear rack (really like it because of handles and offers some side protection. Also looks good.)
Givi Crash Bars (maybe good for tip-overs, light crash?). I hang small bags off of these.
Rally Raid rear spring (90nm). I'm 200+ lbs
Double Take Mirrors (nice!! Way, way better than stock)
Pazzo Levers (short brake, regular brake) - Too expensive and very little practical adj space. Anyways, look good. Wouldn't buy again.
Camel Adv:
    -anti bobble head : a must.
    -Skid plate (very pretty!). OEM just too thin for even gravel road riding. A bit overkill for my riding, but whatever - I like the camel cutout!
    -One finger clutch (nice!). Be careful getting the clip off. I ruined mine because I didn't have the proper tool.
    -Tail Tidy (nice, but big holes for water to get inside. So need to use tape or something)
    -Toe sidestand (nice-beefy!!) - flexing of oem part was scaring me when mounting the bike.
3d printed windsreen riser. Works, but I will get a taller windsreen for future touring.
SW-Motech Evo foot pegs (bigger than stock and for lowering and rotating pegs slightly forward for comfort)
Barkbusters with Storm handguards (in the mail after waiting a year!). Stock handguards are useless for cold temps.
Kaoko Throttle lock (in the mail). Hope to prevent another episode of tendinitis when touring.

Next: going to modify my oem rear rack to make mounting my pair of Kriega OS-18s easier and to keep them off the plastic.

I guess that is more than 5! The only drag in researching and buying this stuff is that my searches always appear on my lady's laptop!!

• Like 3

So pretty much just what i thought on the Double Take mirrors- you guys are on more difficult terrain than what I use my T7 for. I wouldn’t mind changing that, but tough to do around where I live. 

• Like 1

1.  I'll double down on what Landshark said, "get the manual."  Good luck removing the plastic body pieces without it.

2.  Spring/Sprung it for for your weight and adjust the sag.

3.  This bike is fantastic stock and is ready to go as is.  Its not crying out for any substantial changes.  Anything you do to it is really just personalizing it IMO.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Idarex said:

1.  I'll double down on what Landshark said, "get the manual."  Good luck removing the plastic body pieces without it.

2.  Spring/Sprung it for for your weight and adjust the sag.

3.  This bike is fantastic stock and is ready to go as is.  Its not crying out for any substantial changes.  Anything you do to it is really just personalizing it IMO.

Hah yeah, the manual is REALLY worthwhile there.   To be honest, though, I feel spending the typically around $70 for a nice printed service manual is ALWAYS a worthwhile buy for a new motorcycle.  You can usually get a PDF for like $5, but it's a PITA to use vs. a printed manual - though pretty handy to have on your phone on a trip, Just In Case.

I really, REALLY wish you could buy bikes pre-sprung for your weight.  That's such a difficult thing to manage - at least it's always been for me.  Every shop I've ever been to just asks specifically what springs I want to order, and can't or won't figure out which ones are needed, but I've never really understood how to calculate that myself.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Hah yeah, the manual is REALLY worthwhile there.   To be honest, though, I feel spending the typically around $70 for a nice printed service manual is ALWAYS a worthwhile buy for a new motorcycle.  You can usually get a PDF for like $5, but it's a PITA to use vs. a printed manual - though pretty handy to have on your phone on a trip, Just In Case.

I really, REALLY wish you could buy bikes pre-sprung for your weight.  That's such a difficult thing to manage - at least it's always been for me.  Every shop I've ever been to just asks specifically what springs I want to order, and can't or won't figure out which ones are needed, but I've never really understood how to calculate that myself.     

If you guys want, PM me, as I have a PDF of the 2020 EU manual, I'll happily send on. Its VERY close to our NA bikes with some very slight electronic differences.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite thing about it, it’s so cheap I don’t care about trashing it so I have more fun on it.  Mine lives as a BDR/long distance travel machine.  

Proper springs for weight.
Headlight protector.
Lower fork axle protection.

Barkbusters.

Center stand.

Crash bars.

luggage rack or high mount Muffler mod.
An Instagram account for your bike. <—— this is sarcasm. 

Taller or shorter  screen. 
Bags? Do what you can afford. 

855E2408-8F46-460A-81E5-09E7A7AD97FD.jpeg

75CA543B-9CA6-4DE0-A517-2163AD937243.jpeg

704B0CA0-5224-408C-A542-606C8F23D002.jpeg

4183490F-9616-42D7-BF62-7575868B58B1.jpeg

842EB212-BDE9-4572-BC80-5A1BDC46C9BA.jpeg

27701D8D-BC44-447A-B804-EBB6FF708CDB.jpeg

F5BD7AB6-ACF2-40D0-9FBD-43385606059B.jpeg

Edited by Kavika1991