Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What are the top five first upgrades that help the Tenere 700?

Cruizin

For those who like me commute in cold and wet weather my top 5 are.

Heated grips

Heated grips

Heated grips

Heated grips

Good tyres

• Like 1

• AZJW pinned this topic

That's a tough one and will vary from one rider to the next. A 260 lb rider planning on touring two-up on pavement will have a much different list than a 160lb rider that wants to enter Rallys.

Top 5 for me (180lb rider mixed with dirt bias)

Skid plate

Handguards

Low engine guards

Suspension

Tires

• Like 2

This is a fun thread!  Obviously very rider-dependent.  I'm 5'7", fairly athletic, and about 175lbs.  For me, I'd rate them, not in any particular order...:

1.) Madstad Adjustable Windscreen

2.) Pro-Taper Evo Adventure Handlebars for more bend and more sweep

3.) Stiffer rear spring

4.) Wider seat

5.) Heated Grips

Edited by eddylindenstein
  • Like 1

• Members

1) crash protection  - barkbusters, skidplate, crashbars

2) CamelADV Brake fix - game changer

3) CamelADV antibobble

4) powered GPS mount

5) luggage racks/pannier racks.

• Like 1

After almost a year with the bike with probably all the possible upgrades and farkles tried, except a suspension upgrade since I weigh less than 80 kg anyway, I would say my top 5 would be:

1. Crashguards

2. Handguards

3. One-finger clutch arm extension

4, Camel ADV's the Fix

5. Cool covers seat cover

• Like 1

The seat hack of course because it's FREE.  Just YouTube it and it's there but for everything else don't fall in to the same trap as me and end up with a FATENERE 

https://youtu.be/kChNHZw8T6Y

Edited by RIDER GUIDER
  • Like 4

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

For me it was:

1) Engine Guards

2) Hand Guards

3) Skid Plate

4) Exhaust (slip-on)

5) Chain Guide

I've done more but these are the most important to me.

Edited by r1superstar
  • Like 1

In this order,

1) Tires if riding off-road.

2) Skid Plate

3) Hand guards

Phone charger is nice.

Dash support is nice

Camel Exhaust kit is nice

Suspension upgrade is nice

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, dzoltan82 said:

Did anyone else find these incompatible with one finger clutch variants?

Camel-adv now offers one that is compatible with oem crash bars.

We love the Yamaha T7 but found the clutch friction zone to be narrower than we'd like. To help smooth out the toggle switch-like clutch feel, we designed a new clutch actuator arm that is longer...

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

5 hours ago, AZJW said:

Camel-adv now offers one that is compatible with oem crash bars.

We love the Yamaha T7 but found the clutch friction zone to be narrower than we'd like. To help smooth out the toggle switch-like clutch feel, we designed a new clutch actuator arm that is longer...

I have OEM crash bars and found I had to trim the Camel ADV clutch arm to fit because of clearance issues. It still gives some reduction in pull but not as much as I'd hoped. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, SO_Rider said:

I have OEM crash bars and found I had to trim the Camel ADV clutch arm to fit because of clearance issues. It still gives some reduction in pull but not as much as I'd hoped. 

Is your @Camel ADV clutch arm the single hole arm specifically for use with oem crashbars?  If so, that's odd you'd need to trim it any to fit.  If you haven't contacted Cory about it, you should as I'm sure he'd want to know about it.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

It's not, I didn't realize they made one specifically for the OEM's. I should'a known though that Cory would be on it. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 4:00 AM, RIDER GUIDER said:

The seat hack of course because it's FREE.  Just YouTube it and it's there but for everything else don't fall in to the same trap as me and end up with a FATENERE 

https://youtu.be/kChNHZw8T6Y

Strong agree here.  It's a common refrain for me now, but people get so carried away ordering piles of addons for their bike - often before they've even gotten the bike - and IMHO pretty often just make their bike objectively worse.  There are a few things that are genuine improvements (frankly everything @Camel ADV sells) but even in those cases sometimes you're fixing something that's a problem for other people who use the bike differently than you and it's just not necessary.  For example, I've never installed anti-bobblehead bars.  I'm aware of how it vibrates, I just don't care, it doesn't bother me.  I rarely ride at night, offroad I'm never looking anywhere near the console, and on pavement it's fine anyways.  

Like, crash bars are generally speaking a good add (assuming you're riding off pavement, or are a newer rider), but there's armour for every part of the bike and very often in places that simply aren't in danger, so all you're doing is slapping more and more weight onto the bike for no gain.  

Like with any bike, I'm personally of the view that you should ride it stock for a while, identify what are pain points *for you*, and address those. Get to know the bike as it is designed to be. The teams of engineers that designed it did so with a great deal of care, and often things are the way they are because of unintuitive but important reasons and changing them willy nilly can make the bike worse.  

On the other hand - particularly for a bike like the T7 - there's things that are they way they are because they where building to a budget.  If you want to spend money on your baby out of the box, upgrade the suspension and the brakes.  That's never a bad way to go. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Strong agree here.  It's a common refrain for me now, but people get so carried away ordering piles of addons for their bike - often before they've even gotten the bike - and IMHO pretty often just make their bike objectively worse.  There are a few things that are genuine improvements (frankly everything @Camel ADV sells) but even in those cases sometimes you're fixing something that's a problem for other people who use the bike differently than you and it's just not necessary.  For example, I've never installed anti-bobblehead bars.  I'm aware of how it vibrates, I just don't care, it doesn't bother me.  I rarely ride at night, offroad I'm never looking anywhere near the console, and on pavement it's fine anyways.  

Like, crash bars are generally speaking a good add (assuming you're riding off pavement, or are a newer rider), but there's armour for every part of the bike and very often in places that simply aren't in danger, so all you're doing is slapping more and more weight onto the bike for no gain.  

Like with any bike, I'm personally of the view that you should ride it stock for a while, identify what are pain points *for you*, and address those. Get to know the bike as it is designed to be. The teams of engineers that designed it did so with a great deal of care, and often things are the way they are because of unintuitive but important reasons and changing them willy nilly can make the bike worse.  

On the other hand - particularly for a bike like the T7 - there's things that are they way they are because they where building to a budget.  If you want to spend money on your baby out of the box, upgrade the suspension and the brakes.  That's never a bad way to go. 

All absolutely spot on.  I fell in to that trap early on with all the bits, and now ... even my crash bars are coming off.   It feels awesome now, but because of that I'm riding  like a hoonigan again.  Not sure if that's good or bad 😆

• Like 1

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

• 1 month later...

Hi fellow T-rayers. I'm new to the group and thought I'd chime in on my favorite upgrades. 

1: Rekluse clutch: stall proof. Makes hill climbing and mud much easier. Stop and go traffic isn't a pain in the left hand either.

2: High Front fender: looks like a dirt bike now.

3. Lowering link and low seat: feet on the ground is a confidence booster. 

4. Crash bars: good for oopsies and mounting brighter lights.

5. 6.1 gallon tank: only heavier for the first 75 miles. More play time away from people. 

Almost forgot the best mod of all: rear brake ABS bypass. Still works on the front wheel but no ABS interference at the rear. 

Edited by Popawilly
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Technically only 4 mods but here we go:

1. Tail tidy
2. New exhaust can (for looks and sound)

3. PowerBronze sports screen (short screen)

4.Rally seat

5. Rear Spring (not installed yet)

For those that wonder, I am 188cm and the combo of rally seat and short screen fixed all the buffeting.

Edited by NordicT7

In order of function to comfort what I have and am happy with:

1) Crash bars.  HEED bunker

2) Hand Guards. Barkbusters

3)Camel ADV "the Fix"

4)Heated Grips. Kosko

5) Rally Seat/amazon adjustable spoiler

1. Upgrade the Suspension-----This can be as simple as replacing the front and rear springs to match the riders weight, added gear/luggage.  All the way to replacing the complete rear shock and replacing the fork internals.

2.  Custom seat----- The factory seat is marginal at best.   Seat concepts has a broad selection of one and two piece seats along with short, standard and tall foam options. 

3.  Heated Grips----  This is must for riding year round.  

4.  Tires----Tires are what connects the bike to the road.  The factory installed Pirelli tires are not bad.  However, they are NOT a great off-road road tire.  A tire change could help out a rider depending on conditions.  

5.  Luggage--Buying the correct luggage  will allow the  rider  to carry his personal items.  Some riders use the bike to commute.  Some only use the bike  for hardcore weekend trips.  That is why there are SO many luggage choices.    Hard luggage for on road trips and soft luggage for off-road trips.  

• 2 months later...

very good thread,

for me it is;

engin guard (crash bars)

exhaust

cruise control 

chain guide 

rear rack 

tank pads

off-road tires

skid plate 

rear brake pedal camel fix 

K&N air filter 

soft and easy clutch arm extender 

Edited by maddog123

5 hours ago, maddog123 said:

very good thread,

for me it is;

engin guard (crash bars)

exhaust

cruise control 

chain guide 

rear rack 

tank pads

off-road tires

skid plate 

K&N air filter 

Its the top 5! So you have to take off 6 parts of your bike ...😉

11 hours ago, maddog123 said:

very good thread,

for me it is;

engin guard (crash bars)

exhaust

cruise control 

chain guide 

rear rack 

tank pads

off-road tires

skid plate 

K&N air filter 

Electronic cruise control or are you talking about a throttle lock.  If electronic info please?

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

• 5 weeks later...

My first 5 changes to the bike:

1. OEM Rally Seat (when ordering the bike)

2. High exhaust (MIVV Dakar | Yamaha's was crashed on the road by a truck)

3. Self made tail (stainless steel + LED flashers)

4. Skid plate (Acerbis | That tiny Yamaha thing is just for the looks)

5. Bigger fuel tank (Acerbis | Gas prices vary about ¢15/ℓ during 24 hours [1ℓ ~€ 1.60 - 1.75] {Gallon =~3.6ℓ}) So I gas up during the night when prices are low.

• Like 1