Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

"The Fix" T7 Rear Brake Pedal

Camel ADV

26 minutes ago, kainic said:

Finished installing the brake "fix".  However, the rear brake still feels spongy. What am I missing? 

It cuts the pedal travel in half. It protects against the bushing hanging up and overheating the rear but you still have the same calipers and pads. Galfers help by about 15 to 20 percent more grab after the fix. 
I had my rear end completely replaced by Yamaha, then added the FIX with the new oem pads. Tested. Then swapped out for Galfers. The biggest difference was the FIX and smaller difference the change to Galfers. In my humble opinion. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NeilW said:

It cuts the pedal travel in half. It protects against the bushing hanging up and overheating the rear but you still have the same calipers and pads. Galfers help by about 15 to 20 percent more grab after the fix. 
I had my rear end completely replaced by Yamaha, then added the FIX with the new oem pads. Tested. Then swapped out for Galfers. The biggest difference was the FIX and smaller difference the change to Galfers. In my humble opinion. 

I also have Galfers installed 🙂

27 minutes ago, kainic said:

I also have Galfers installed 🙂

Then it is the best you are going to get. Personally I use the front brake 99% of the time both on and off road. The fact that it is spongy and not grabby is something that I have come to accept/ ignore. I learned technical off roading using the front brake as my two fingers are always on it- quicker than an MX boot movement into place to push the pedal. Being honest I don’t “push” it any more. I ride for scenery and not for speed. I can imagine that POL has a different rear brake system than we all do 🙂

1 hour ago, kainic said:

Finished installing the brake "fix".  However, the rear brake still feels spongy. What am I missing? 

I thought the same thing at first, after installing the fix. Then I took a look at my brake fluid. It was dirty and there were a few bubbles that had snuck in the reservoir.  I changed the fluid and bled the brakes... WOW... almost went over the bars when I tried it out.  Made a huge difference.  I would recommend giving that a go if you haven't already.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, rd1myers said:

I thought the same thing at first, after installing the fix. Then I took a look at my brake fluid. It was dirty and there were a few bubbles that had snuck in the reservoir.  I changed the fluid and bled the brakes... WOW... almost went over the bars when I tried it out.  Made a huge difference.  I would recommend giving that a go if you haven't already.

That was my next step. Tnx

• Like 2

Mine is exceptional. I ride with ABS on a lot of the time to help with lock up, and generally only flick it off for technical descents or if I wanna send it sideways.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kainic said:

I recently installed "The Fix" on my T700 and it works like a charm. Before The Fix I could not get my ABS to engage when I stomped on the rear brake. Now it works like it should. BIG DIFFERENCE. But when I initially installed The Fix I had the "offset clevis" installed wrong -- i.e backwards. Then when I tested the brake I thought WTF?! A close inspection showed my error and when rotated 180 degrees the brake worked as advertised. So maybe check that. Maybe scotch bright and clean your rotor?

• Supporting Vendor
On 6/11/2023 at 4:01 PM, kainic said:

Occasionally, some of the spongy feel remains after the pedal install. We give the rear brake a quick bleed and always get a bit of air out of them which firms things up the rest of the way.

• Like 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

On 6/11/2023 at 8:01 PM, rd1myers said:

Just bled my brakes and rear brake now works like it should, very nice!

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Anyone know a online store in canada that sell the fix or maybe in the us if the shipping cost is not insane? Otherwise a more affordable option? Im trying to learn to do powerslide and without stiffer lever it seems harder.

5 minutes ago, insistent said:

Anyone know a online store in canada that sell the fix or maybe in the us if the shipping cost is not insane? Otherwise a more affordable option? Im trying to learn to do powerslide and without stiffer lever it seems harder.

The FIX is also to keep the rear brake from dragging and wearing out the pads or worse- like what happens to me, boiling the brake fluid and instantly have no rear brake! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DanDoesStunts said:

Camel ADV are Canadian and have an Online Store…

Wait what? I was certain it was somewhere in europe with usd prices.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, insistent said:

Camel ADV is an Approved vendor here on the forum, here's their website. 

Fuel tanks and protection parts for adventure and dual sport motorcycles.

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

34 minutes ago, insistent said:

There is a very short list of good things from Canada...pls do not try and take this away from them. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Toymaster said:

There is a very short list of good things from Canada...pls do not try and take this away from them. 

Like, most of the good T7 stuff that i've found was shipped from europe. 😐

• Supporting Vendor
On 10/19/2023 at 12:50 PM, insistent said:

We’re in Calgary.

• Like 3

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

On 10/19/2023 at 10:50 PM, insistent said:

I ordered "The Fix" from US to Europe. Unfortunately can't feel much difference. 🙄

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, rundll said:

I ordered "The Fix" from US to Europe. Unfortunately can't feel much difference. 🙄

Some here seems to mention that the brake line can have some air out of the factory, did you try bleeding it?

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, rundll said:

I will do that! 

Its better, but expected much more...

Make sure you're not still running the oem pads. Galfer pads, coupled with "The Fix" have transformed our T7's braking response and feel. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

+1 on swapping the pads. The fix will reduce pedal travel and flex, but the stock pads have limited friction. Sintered metal pads have more friction but also wear rotors faster. 

Stock front pads are sintered but rears are not.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

+1 on swapping the pads...

Stock front pads are sintered but rears are not.  

That's interesting.  Perhaps they wanted to save the rotor?  I'm not flogging around the place, do most of my braking before the corners or slow down on the engine so I don't overtax them anyway.  It's why I like to ride alone, I get to set the pace.

• Like 2

At 62 I tend to ride in a more "civilised" manner and usually alone.

I do like the feel of the "Fix" and I have put Metal Gear sintered pads in.

Currently working 6 x 10hr days so Sunday is catch up on jobs day.

Riding will have to wait a while.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

11 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

At 62 I tend to ride in a more "civilised" manner and usually alone.

62, me too.  Retired now though thankfully.  I've been doing a lot more dirt miles lately and have to consciously slow myself down now I'm past the basics stage.  Too many blokes with legs in plaster and I don't want to be one of them.  Yesterday was riding an unfenced road and cattle were everywhere, many right on the verge where it was greener.  

Some wandered away when you got close, some bolted, and some couldn't seem to make up their minds which way to go.  At one point a bike passed me doing like 50 as though the cattle weren't even there.   That's the sort of riding I want to avoid.  And the trees!  Right by the road,  and I'm doing like 80 or 90.  One hare, one piglet, ouch.