Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Clutch adjustment?

Aleksandar13

Question

Hi all, 

After installing the new levers I've adjusted the clutch as per couple internet videos and it works well. 4 mm of play at the base of the lever seems to be the norm. 

This morning washing the bike I have tried moving the bike while in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in and it had resistance to the rolling...is this normal when cold? 

The bike jumps a bit when you put into 1st when cold... I'm not sure if this is OK.? 

While riding there is no slippage or any of this when it's warmed up..

What is peoples experience to the above? 

Thank you,

Aleks 

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Hi all, 

After installing the new levers I've adjusted the clutch as per couple internet videos and it works well. 4 mm of play at the base of the lever seems to be the norm. 

This morning washing the bike I have tried moving the bike while in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in and it had resistance to the rolling...is this normal when cold? 

The bike jumps a bit when you put into 1st when cold... I'm not sure if this is OK.? 

While riding there is no slippage or any of this when it's warmed up..

What is peoples experience to the above? 

Thank you,

Aleks 

I had the same in Ducatis and BMWs. I think the only way to make the clutch behave the same whether cold or dry is to get hydraulic assist (ment)...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, al700 said:

I had the same in Ducatis and BMWs. I think the only way to make the clutch behave the same whether cold or dry is to get hydraulic assist (ment)...

I'm not bothered about it just wanted to know if it is indeed normal. 🙂

Mine does it as well. If you start the bike and let it idle for a few mins then it will kick a bit less when you engage 1st gear.

• Thanks 1

This is usually caused by colder oil being thicker and therefore causing more friction through the clutch and gearbox. Once the oil warms up it gets thinner and doesn't drag as much, completely normal.

• Like 2