Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

High Exhaust, is it ok? anyone try one yet? Ever hear of Huzar exhausts?

Tazmool

I like the cant of @Camel ADV exhaust.  I don't have a picture but you can find it at http://camel-adv.com

Perhaps this will be an offering in the future.

cheers

-Bob

Edited by Yammybound88
added more detail

• Supporting Vendor
3 hours ago, Yammybound88 said:

I like the cant of @Camel ADV exhaust.  I don't have a picture but you can find it at http://camel-adv.com

Perhaps this will be an offering in the future.

cheers

-Bob

We're working a kit but have no ETA at the moment.

• Like 4

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

33 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

We're working a kit but have no ETA at the moment.

Well, whatever your ETA is will be faster than Yamaha getting us all bikes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Supporting Vendor
5 hours ago, johnnygolucky said:

Well, whatever your ETA is will be faster than Yamaha getting us all bikes. 

LOL!

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

On 6/20/2020 at 9:02 PM, DoYouLikeItHere said:

yes i am waiting for air shipping to open up as well....... 

500mm black high. I'm going to Wrap the pipe with header tape.

I'm planning on ordering one of these as well.  Any reason you chose the 50cm vs the 40cm?  

My concerns are weight, noise (quieter is better for me) and turn light interference w Powerbronze tail tidy .  

Thanks!

JB

On 6/22/2020 at 10:23 AM, flyloki said:

I'm planning on ordering one of these as well.  Any reason you chose the 50cm vs the 40cm?  

My concerns are weight, noise (quieter is better for me) and turn light interference w Powerbronze tail tidy .  

Thanks!

JB

I gave the 40 vs 50cm a lot of thought and I talked with Huzar about it..

Both systems exit at the exact same spot by the tail light, Because the pipe section is 10cm longer if you order the 40cm system, or 10cm shorter if you order the 50cm system.

Someday I might want my bike to have a tail tidy and a bit louder muffler.

That being said,

If I order a 50cm system - the Pipe is 10cm Shorter, so someday if I do put a 40cm muffler on that pipe, the exit will be 10cm shorter and lower to clearance a tail tidy.

If you ask nice at Huzar he will sell you the shorter pipe and the 40cm muffler together for the lower exit point to clear a tail tidy. It will exit pointing pretty much directly at the oem signal light location.

Edited by DoYouLikeItHere
forgot a point

Is the 50cm quieter?  Wondering what the difference is besides a bit of weight.   I've ordered the Powerbronze tail tidy and from the attached pics looks like it will clear the Huzar exit pretty easily.  How much was the total and shipping for you? Thanks!

Huzar Exit Point.jpg

PB TT.jpg

Edited by flyloki

On 6/28/2020 at 2:21 PM, DoYouLikeItHere said:

If you ask nice at Huzar he will sell you the shorter pipe and the 40cm muffler together for the lower exit point to clear a tail tidy. It will exit pointing pretty much directly at the oem signal light location.

With that combo, you can even go further and install an m-blaze pin directly into the sides of the tailight housing (where I put the yellow dot).

That would be the ultimate low profile set up. Even cleaner than a tail tidy, and no concerns of melting plastics with the lowered exhaust exit point.

1835678138_PBTT.jpg.a12d18465d507bcbd669b824b21cec1c~2.jpg

Edited by eebogaine
Grammar
  • Like 1

today Huzar said he can ship to Canada so I finally ordered a black 500mm high kit. Cost is 285 CDN dollars.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone any opinion on the Huzar exhaust? Quality/sound etc? 

I am thinking of going for the high exhaust as a drop on the right hand side of the bike has me worried about Yamaha's oversight when it comes to the exhaust bracket and the fact it is made of cheese. 🧀 

On 7/30/2020 at 3:45 AM, Jason said:

Anyone any opinion on the Huzar exhaust? Quality/sound etc? 

I am thinking of going for the high exhaust as a drop on the right hand side of the bike has me worried about Yamaha's oversight when it comes to the exhaust bracket and the fact it is made of cheese. 🧀 

PM @Tazmool.  He's got one and I think would be willing to answer questions.

J

• Premium Member

I love my Huzar exhaust, 
It has not been drop "tested" yet, but I'm positive it will pass with flying colors when it does happen (inevitable I'm sure)

The pipe is so far out of the way, very much like a WR250 or WR450 stock exhaust, I seriously doubt it would be hit in a tip-over or a normal drop.

My 21 Brothers luggage arrived as well, just did a trial fitting, and the exhaust is out of the way of that as well, no problems with luggage.  👍

Quality wise, its good. 

Its not Akrapovic quality (ie you can see the welds more in the SS tubing, and machine marks in the tip flare, very very minor but it would not be fair not to mention it)  its also FAR, FAR cheaper than an Akra pipe.  Its nicely polished, and looks good.
(cost wise, the dominator header + huzar high exit pipe, fully optioned up with all options, after shipping, is quite a bit cheaper than most other slip-ons alone)

The pipe is holding up very well. 

Its Stainless Steel so its turning that golden color. 
I got the 50cm black powder coated muffler, its also holding up well. 

Riding on tight ATV trails the pipe is completely out of the way (the brush is rubbing up against the engine, had weeds stuck in my shifter and rear brake pedals) but the pipe is out of the way and never touched anything. 

Sound,

Thats a tad subjective, plus I'm also running a Dominator header (so I now have a full Polish exhaust, and 2WDW flashed ECU, love how my bike is very multi country sourced, parts from all over the world) 

With no dB killers installed (pipe comes with two) the pipe with full header, is a tad too loud for me.  
With the exit dB killer installed, its just right.
I never tried both dB killers installed, Huzar claims its 2dB quieter than stock that way, but seems too restrictive & quiet for me.

Only sound "quirk" is that with the dB killer installed, the bike seems louder when off the throttle and compression braking, it "barks" more when you chop the throttle.  Its 100% function of the dB killer as with it removed, off the throttle, the bike is quiet, and loud when On the throttle.  dB killer back in, it barks on the throttle as it should (nice) and barks when off the throttle which is kinda weird.   

While cruising, highway riding, you barely hear the pipe. 

If you roll on hard, you can hear it bark a bit, but its nice.   

Overall I'm happy with the sound.   (I also ride with ear plugs in, have for decades)

Heat,
The pipe (muffler) sits very close to the tail plastic, this is by design.  It does not touch anything.
It is also unusually cool to the touch.  With the engine fully heat soaked (ie running for hours) with the engine running, you can put your hand on the muffler, and its just warm... thats it...  
So no muffler heat issues at all.  
Ofcourse, the header, I would not touch with my bare hand!

I got the pipe to drop weight (its MUCH lighter than stock) and #1 its a high exit exhaust, the oem exhaust is in desperate need of some kind of solution if the bike is to be ridden anywhere there is a chance of dropping it.   Huzar developed the high exit because their bike suffered swingarm damage with the oem exhaust.  In their promo photos and video (they have videos on youtube) you can see where the oem exhaust hit the swingarm after a drop.  That was enough proof for me that I wanted the high exit.  I had the pipe waiting for months before the bike actually arrived!

As for muffler length, I chose the 50cm because a longer muffler, *usually* means a quieter pipe.  I doubt there would be much difference 40cm vs 50cm, but I did not want to buy two just to compare 😉 

Rear turn signal clearance, 
The pipe was designed to clear the oem European turn signals.  The USA/Canadian market pumpkin signals clear, however when riding on a rough trail/road, the rear signal bounces up and down a lot and will touch the muffler tip (leaving a mark on the turn signal)  I have since gone with aftermarket LED signals.

For now, I'm not sure if any aftermarket tail-tidy will clear the muffler tip as I have not tried any,  the Camel ADV one and the B&B Off-Road one will clear, but I'm not sure.  I will investigate this over the winter, I don't want the bike down for 5 minutes more during the summer. 

All in all, I'm very happy with the exhaust setup, and recommend it.  

Tazmool

• Like 1

In one of the early photos I saw a slip on that seemed more oval than round, looks like they put a different muffler on the Huzar pipe. I wonder if they will sell just the pipe so we can install thinner oval mufflers?

• Premium Member

If you contact them I'm sure they will sell you just the component you want.  
On their site, they don't officially offer shipping to North America either, but when I contacted them, they were more than happy to ship here.

Tazmool

7 hours ago, Tazmool said:

If you contact them I'm sure they will sell you just the component you want.  
On their site, they don't officially offer shipping to North America either, but when I contacted them, they were more than happy to ship here.

Tazmool

I just emailed them and the shipping options for USA and NA are open but they're on vacation until 8/8 so no pipes 'til they're back.

I'll be ordering one of the high pipes, probably the polished stainless.  Just have to figure out the 40 vs 50cm version. 

J

• Premium Member

Very nicely done!

This is exactly how the exhaust should have come from the factory!  👍
I bet the next gen T7 will have something like this. 

Tazmool

• Like 2

Thanks a million for that extensive review Tazmool, my mind is basically made up now 👌🏼

@Engineer is that exhaust your own creation or something which can be bought? Very tidy setup and as already mentioned, this is how the bike should have been shipped

• Like 1

@Jason yes I'm afraid it is my own one off creation. I suppose I could have gone for the Huzar but due to lockdown I had time on my hands and wanted to see what I could do myself. Very happy with the result using a Delkavic slip on, and if fits very neatly with the T7 Rally Tail Tidy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Engineer said:

@Jason yes I'm afraid it is my own one off creation. I suppose I could have gone for the Huzar but due to lockdown I had time on my hands and wanted to see what I could do myself. Very happy with the result using a Delkavic slip on, and if fits very neatly with the T7 Rally Tail Tidy.

That’s some amazing work @Engineer cheers. 

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

22 hours ago, Engineer said:

No worries, serious kudos on the workman’s ship  there. I wish I had the same idea during lockdown. I just did a ton of gardening. What good is that hahaha

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 7:47 AM, MGG said:

Did you enquire if it comes with a spark arrestor ?

I emailed them about this.  It does not have a spark arrestor.  I'm waiting to confirm the exhaust exit diameter as Fisch Moto has USFS approved spark arrestors in 20mm-45mm sizes.  FMF makes one that is 48mm diam and would work on Akros that fit the KTM 990.  I think it's for the Powercore4.

Essentially, if the exit is round and one of these fits it can make any pipe USFS legal as long as all the exhaust gas passes through the arrestor.

SparkArrestor_1200x1200.jpg?v=1591479865

Fisch Moto Spark Arrestor USFS approved Universal muffler fitment (as long as tail pipe is round) Perfect for Dirt Bikes, ATVs, Enduro and other round tailpipes - see our sizing below. Will fit any circular exhaust with a tail pipe inside diameter from 20-45mm/0.800”-1.800”(5mm/0.196” increments, 5 sizes available)...

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 6:52 PM, Engineer said:

This is my solution in order to protect the exhaust and mount panniers closer to the bike.

IMG_20200617_122937 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20200617_122957 (Copy).jpg

Wow ... I am impressed, this is pretty much what I was looking for ... just need a good welder 🙂

• Questions:
  1. If you were to evaluate the work effort... what would you say? ... 4h welding job, 1 day ... 1 week?
  2. Should there be a heat shield between the exhaust and the brake cylinder?
  3. Is that the Delkevic 18in or 14in ? ... how is the sound ?
  4. Did you try a full compression on rear spring ? ... to figure out how close the brakes are to the exhaust ? .. I would hate to crunch the 2 together on an "unexpected" jump. 
  5. Do you think  a "dual" exhaust is possible or needed? ... this would allow to use slimmer cans but I am not sure what to expect from a sound level and heat generation, I would love to have lower temperature exhaust can(s).
  6. Do you have some more close up pictures ? ... can you share ? ... I love your work.

I am on the short side and I was wondering how much clearance is available when standing up feet on ground, boot/leg close to bike. I expect a heat shield might be required for me cause I would hate to burn my leg.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Huzar High pipe in the other day and mounted up this evening. 

633CFAF0-1229-45B5-B71A-AB0D44469FC9.jpeg.f549a1031f4ac25a911964b4dfbec1d2.jpeg

7F48D058-4C0A-46A9-AB61-C6C54C7E6956.jpeg.7f1345e0dfe9a393a0eadf2a089894e0.jpeg

E370F165-6035-4ECC-9CC6-773ABA29629D.jpeg.886193e7b1bac9a08cc3c57203b3b11c.jpeg

The bike just looks and is sooo much narrower. 

Here's a few sound clips before and after.  

This one is with the OEM baffle extension cut out.

Decided to try it out without any muffler.  It's frickin loud.

Huzar with no dB killers in.

Riding with both dB killers out the Huzar has a really nice sound.  Get on the throttle and it sounds almost like a v-twin.  There's a gruff sound quality.  In ocmparison, the OEM with modified baffle sounds more mello and at throttle is not as loud.

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 2