Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

CB500X to the Tenere 700

motonap

1 hour ago, Zero600 said:

The Protaper bar is great quality and it had enough sweep to help my wrists and elbows.  But when on the pegs I couldn't get enough weight over the front wheel.  Both height and sweep (or really the resulting reach from pegs to bars) were too much.  I rolled them forward, which helped a bit, but then the wrist angle got funky.

The 605 is somewhere in between the Protaper and OEM in both height and sweep.  I was shopping mainly for sweep to help my wrists and elbows.  As I mentioned, I reversed the bar risers to minimize the change in reach despite the increase in sweep.  The added height seemed like a good idea as I am 6' tall, but I have to admit the stance is less aggressive than OEM.

There are limited choices in bars with more sweep.  If available I might try a bar with more sweep but OEM rise.  But it's very personal of course.  I'm not sure the "MX" or "Adventure" or whatever designation really matters, just what fits your body and riding style.

@Zero600 Do you have a picture of the setup?

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

48 minutes ago, Zero600 said:

Which one?

The reversed bar risers with the Renthal Handle bar? Or could you take a photo of the setup from the side please?

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

On 1/9/2023 at 4:26 PM, motonap said:

The reversed bar risers with the Renthal Handle bar? Or could you take a photo of the setup from the side please?

Sorry for the delay.  Here are some shots.  I'll note that the fit of the OEM Barkbusters is passable, but tight.  I had to adjust the front brake banjo fitting.  There is a good post somewhere on the forum about reversing the risers.

IMG_0004.jpg.16da35689e5326e72694dcc05f7a2bd0.jpgIMG_0005.jpg.c910f95ea2ffa216a985d8263548327e.jpg

18 hours ago, Zero600 said:

Sorry for the delay.  Here are some shots.  I'll note that the fit of the OEM Barkbusters is passable, but tight.  I had to adjust the front brake banjo fitting.  There is a good post somewhere on the forum about reversing the risers.

IMG_0004.jpg.16da35689e5326e72694dcc05f7a2bd0.jpgIMG_0005.jpg.c910f95ea2ffa216a985d8263548327e.jpg

@Zero600thank you for the pictures 🙂  

The slightly forward position with the reversing of the risers, made a reasonable difference to weight over the front?

2 minutes ago, motonap said:

The slightly forward position with the reversing of the risers, made a reasonable difference to weight over the front?

Hard to say. I made the change when switching to the Renthal 605, so two changes at once. Together, yes. 

52 minutes ago, motonap said:

Yes, i've also done it with the OEM and now a Fatbar but with the OEM like bend. I liked the OEM but it is too weak.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 11:04 AM, Zero600 said:

Hard to say. I made the change when switching to the Renthal 605, so two changes at once. Together, yes. 

I really need to get going on this handle bar thing! Another weekend of gravel riding and my arms are sore this morning! Thanks for the input!