Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New '23 Shadow Gray T7 UT

r1superstar

Greetings!

I'm an avid motorcycle rider and I have been riding mostly dirt recently.  I have friends that adventure ride and asked me to join them on trips.  Well, I looked at bikes (being a Yamaha guy) this past summer and really liked the Tenere 700.  I started calling around this past Tuesday looking for one.  I drove to Boise ID and back on Friday to pick this beauty up!  I'm open to any cool mods, parts suggestions, etc...

20221218_114321.jpg

20221218_114337.jpg

Edited by r1superstar
  • Like 3

20221218_114437.jpg

20221218_114257.jpg

I'm looking at Kriega for soft packs.  Undecided on engine guards.  I'm going to purchase the MIVV slip-on in black this week.  I'm also looking at Tecnoglobe heated grips and I'm searching for lights to mount on the engine guards.

• r1superstar changed the title to Aloha from UT
  • Moderators

@r1superstar Welcome from Arizona.  Sharp looking bike, really like the 2023 Shadow Gray!

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• r1superstar changed the title to New '23 Shadow Gray T7 UT
On 12/18/2022 at 12:16 PM, AZJW said:

@r1superstar Welcome from Arizona.  Sharp looking bike, really like the 2023 Shadow Gray!

@AZJW Thanks!  I wasn't sure about the Shadow Gray until I saw it in person.  I like it a lot!!

On 12/18/2022 at 6:56 PM, r1superstar said:

Greetings!

I'm an avid motorcycle rider and I have been riding mostly dirt recently.  I have friends that adventure ride and asked me to join them on trips.  Well, I looked at bikes (being a Yamaha guy) this past summer and really liked the Tenere 700.  I started calling around this past Tuesday looking for one.  I drove to Boise ID and back on Friday to pick this beauty up!  I'm open to any cool mods, parts suggestions, etc...

20221218_114321.jpg

20221218_114337.jpg

Nice colour.  Thinking of adding the panels to my bike, it’ll look good with the acerbis tank. I thought the rims were supposed to be green also though? 
definitely wouldn’t add decals. Looks too nice already. New rally seat, exhaust of your preference, heated grips if you need em,  then just bacon butties when you stop for fuel/viewpoints. 🍺

then shop around for loads of other stuff once you’re addicted to change. 😁

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dougie said:

Nice colour.  Thinking of adding the panels to my bike, it’ll look good with the acerbis tank. I thought the rims were supposed to be green also though? 
definitely wouldn’t add decals. Looks too nice already. New rally seat, exhaust of your preference, heated grips if you need em,  then just bacon butties when you stop for fuel/viewpoints. 🍺

then shop around for loads of other stuff once you’re addicted to change. 😁

Thanks man!  No decals.  I have these ordered and shipping: MIVV black high mount slip-on, Camel one finger clutch kit, kickstand spring, and Oxford heated grips.  I'm searching for engine guards, beefier handguards, soft bags in the spring.  There will be more stuff I'm sure.  haha 

Edited by r1superstar
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, r1superstar said:

Thanks man!  No decals.  I have these ordered and shipping: MIVV black high mount slip-on, Camel one finger clutch kit, kickstand spring, and Oxford heated grips.  I'm searching for engine guards, beefier handguards, soft bags in the spring.  There will be more stuff I'm sure.  haha 

Ah! The soft bag search. 🤔Easily the biggest thread on here. Better start now if you want them this spring😂

Just now, Dougie said:

Ah! The soft bag search. 🤔Easily the biggest thread on here. Better start now if you want them this spring😂

Kriega is what I'll probably get.  And yeah, I say spring, but I will probably buy them this week.  haha

I too have ordered the 2023 Shadow Gray..but I already have the new Hp-Corse High exhaust, windshield protector, side grips for the tank!

• Like 1

I thought the 2023’s had the new switch gear and colour dash. Nice looking bike, good colour choice 👍

24 minutes ago, Alf Meister said:

I thought the 2023’s had the new switch gear and colour dash. Nice looking bike, good colour choice 👍

I wish!  US bound bikes don't get the trick stuff.

• Like 1

Ohmygosh. OMG. Anyone have thots as to why improvements are not on US bikes? I was thinking new bike, but zero incentive without goodies.  At least for T700. There is a LOT of competition out there!

I'm happy either way.  😄

I have a bunch of cool bits on the way.  I'll post up when I get them installed.

Edited by r1superstar

Judging by the way the US release has stayed behind by a year each time, I’m guessing the dash will come on the 2024 model. Still a weird way to do it mind. And still odder that such a massive market is under-supplied. Must be some corporate thing. 

I for one would not want the new dash and modes. The lack of them is one thing that attracted me to the T7.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TexasT700 said:

Ohmygosh. OMG. Anyone have thots as to why improvements are not on US bikes? I was thinking new bike, but zero incentive without goodies.  At least for T700. There is a LOT of competition out there!

North American bikes are made in Japan. Euro bikes are made in France. Different factories, supply chains, regulatory approvals.

• Like 1

SW Motech upper crash bars arrived today.  I'll install them when the lowers arrive and get some pics up.  

Edited by r1superstar

Well, there is a problem with this kit.  I have sent an email to SW Motech.  

Here is what I sent:

1. One of the threaded sleeves on the bar that goes across the exhaust popped off.  I have come across this style of fastener and it is a poor design.
  2. The cross bar is resting on the exhaust.  I've spent a long time trying to get it to fit right.
  3. One of the engine bolts (left rear) was too long and I had to add three washers.
  4. The upper DOES NOT line up properly.  I had to muscle it to get it in place.  It is pulling the center bracket to the left side of the bike (to the right in the picture).  They are not level and the center bracket is not level either. I have loosened both sides of the upper and had to really pry to get them bolted on.  
I spent a lot of money on these guards and I'm not particularly pleased right now.

20221225_174416.jpg

20221225_174147.jpg

20221225_174123.jpg

20221225_174142.jpg

Edited by r1superstar