Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rally seat better?

Turbohawk

400+ miles on the clock...My brother asked me what it's like. We've both owned at least 2 0r 3 KLR's 600 & 650 since 1984. He owned the "renewed" 2008(?) I had the last year of it prior to. He didn't like the new changes (although they were minimal).

I told him it's an improved KLR (same weight as them now) with about double the HP and the 6th gear everyone wanted. 2 gallons less fuel and slightly more fuel use (mine is averaging 45mpg but maybe it gets better?).  Engine sounds great although vibration on the bars is more buzzy than I expected. 

Comfortable seating position but today I rode a full tanks worth and am thinking about the rally seat...is it more comfortable and does it replace the tiny rear seat also?

• Like 1

I don’t have one but I have seen a bunch of people say it is a bit better, but not as good as like a comfort seat. It is a one piece and it is significantly taller than the original (I believe it’s 35mm taller). Hope somebody else who actually has one can give you the full rundown. It’s on my hit list for sure.

Edited by TheoremX

The Rally seat is if you are riding aggressively offroad and need to change your body position a lot.   The seat is harder and made for a specific purpose.  The only way I would suggest a rally seat for touring is if you have long legs and hard butt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have had the rally seat from day one. I use it for touring and I have callouses on my arse cheeks 🤣.

I like it for the extra height. It makes the transition from sitting to standing a little easier on my old knees.

My previous was an F800GS with a tall comfort seat from Seat Concepts. I would say the rally seat is about the same.

I find I have to stand about every hour to get blood flow into my cheeks. I recently did a ride to Brisbane for the last B2B.

Day one was Woodenbong ( NSW ), a distance of 700 km. Not in a big hurray so a few stops along the way.

The next 10 days was spent getting to Brisbane then home again; about 3000ish kms.

The seat is good for those with longish legs. I am 183cm plus boots.

Never used the original seat so I can't really compare.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• Moderators

Yes, the Rally seat is much better than stock.  This is coming from a 6'1" rider with a 36" inseam that pushed me back to sit directly on the gap between the front & rear oem. Uncomfortable doesn't begin to describe it. I ride about 60/40 street/dirt so being able to move around is a plus as it's much easier on the Rally than on the oem seat.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Yes, the Rally seat is much better than stock.  This is coming from a 6'1" rider with a 36" inseam that pushed me back to sit directly on the gap between the front & rear oem. Uncomfortable doesn't begin to describe it. I ride about 60/40 street/dirt so being able to move around is a plus as it's much easier on the Rally than on the oem seat.

Agree on every point. Quite long legs here, too (also like 36" or so).

It's not a sofa, but the profile is great for moving to-and-fro on it.

Imho, changing position from time to time helps with long hours in the saddle.

• Like 1

another + here for Rally Seat comfort, and improved riding position. 8000 on my Rally Seat, with a few 400mile+ days.

• Like 3

From the images of it, Looks like the Rally seat replaces BOTH stock seats but I have yet to have anyone able to confirm this, including my dealer...they don't leave me feeling very confident of their servicing abilities.

I would love to be able to access THE ENTIRE UNDERSEAT AREA with just the key.  Interesting that Yamaha doesn't include this detail on their websites...of did I miss it?

Will this rally seat do this? Or will there still be a need to unbolt a seat section to get to the air cleaner area?

Edited by Turbohawk

1 minute ago, Turbohawk said:

From the images of it, Looks like the Rally seat replaces BOTH stock seats but I have yet to have anyone able to confirm this, including my dealer...they don't leave me feeling very confident of their servicing abilities.

I would love to be able to access THE ENTIRE UNDERSEAT AREA with just the key.  Interesting that Yamaha doesn't include this detail on their websites...of did I miss it?

Will this rally seat do this? Or will there still be a need to unbolt a seat section?

Yes! Replaces both seats. The strap can be removed (2 bolts).

It just requires the key to remove the complete unit. Plus, there's more underseat storage volume.

Just now, Tenerider said:

Yes! Replaces both seats. The strap can be removed (2 bolts).

It just requires the key to remove the complete unit. Plus, there's more underseat storage volume.

Thank you sir! It is now ordered. lol

• Like 1

Just now, Turbohawk said:

Thank you sir! It is now ordered. lol

Welcome buddy! Good decision - even if you shouldn't like it, I'm sure you'd be able to sell it very quickly again.

That's what I'm thinking. I've never been a fan of 2 piece seat setups where unbolting is a thing...lol.  Thanks to all for all the feedback!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Turbohawk said:

Will this rally seat do this? Or will there still be a need to unbolt a seat section to get to the air cleaner area?

Sure he wasn’t a customer or the cleaner?😁. Yes it’s much more comfortable. Hours rather than minutes. It’s plush with the extra 40mm too. You’ll fell the difference instantly. 
as your dealer is a bit special, make sure he orders the correct rally seat. The one on the rally edition bike is not the same thickness or comfort. The tool storage is great too. Lots of kit space under there. Or a small pistol for the US😉👍

• Like 1

I have the older US spec rally seat and agree with everything posted here! It's no "unicorn" but it does have its advantages as everyone listed. For me the only big disadvantage is if I have to dab or paddle off road it is taller. With my inseam I can flat foot the stocker but not the rally. The dirt bike style butt to seat interface means it won't turn your Tenere into a BMW. Eventually I would like to get a pan style seat for long road rides.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the rally seat.  It is taller and more comfortable than the stock seat (a low bar).  
have not had it long enough to judge the all day comfort.  
I think it was worth the $.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all the responses on this. I did find a "hack" for the stock seats where you invert the collars so you can remove the front section without the allen tool but I have found the Rally seat to be better for my purposes overall.

I've already got 2500+ miles on this bike and I don't feel like I ride it more than my other bikes...really a joy and fun machine. Been busy riding!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve done about 3000km of mixed riding and big days on the Rally Seat. Pretty comfortable, a bit higher which suited me and easier to maintain chosen position on the seat. Gets a bit rough after about 8hrs into the day but pretty tolerable.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have a rally seat combined with an SW Motech topcase? I'd like to know if you can still easily lift the rally seat. Reason for my question is that with the stock seat, I always have to move the passenger seat a bit zo the front in order to lift it.

I have a rally seat (+40mm) and a SW Motech rear rack. But no box on it. The seat clears the rack, very close. There are two positions for the rack, and it works on the rearward mounting holes. 

8C626584-B0FD-427E-8033-3D19566744C2.png

Edited by Dougie
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Dougie I'll have to look at my bike. I always move the pillion seat slightly forward in order to get it out, so I presume I have fixed the SW Motech rack in the forwarded position without being aware of it.

21 hours ago, Dougie said:

I have a rally seat (+40mm) and a SW Motech rear rack. But no box on it. The seat clears the rack, very close. There are two positions for the rack, and it works on the rearward mounting holes. 

8C626584-B0FD-427E-8033-3D19566744C2.png

What's with the seat lock?

• Confused 1

It's not a seat lock but a lock on the seat i guess :classic_cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

😁Yes it’s my disc lock. Minimum requirement in the uk for leaving your bike for five minutes. Anything longer requires a good chain. Or asking if you can bring your bike into the kitchen. 😉🍺

I never even leave a helmet on a bike. Some idiot would piss in it. 

• Like 1

Bought the rally seat during the bike purchase, I’m 5’9” with a 30 inseam and it’s a bit tall to me.  I have the 40mm and I find it more comfy for longer rides than the stocker.  After lowering the bike 20mm and removing the rubber pads under the rally seat, I get past the tippy toes and onto the balls of my feet,  it’s working well for me now. 

Its a bit of a fight for a tail bag with the one piece but once sorted it’s all smiles. And we need a tail bag in the US for a 9mm with a few 15 shot clips to keep the desperados at bay. Good times. 

• Haha 1

ok i tried one of those 3d mesh seat covers,

all i can say is ill be buying one for most bikes now one, comfortable, keeps rain away and allows airflow.

I am sold on them