Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Slamming and banging offroad

Camel ADV

• Supporting Vendor

Crossing Creek FSR (aka Koko Claim) is a snotty, rocky two-track that gains a lot of elevation quickly. The track is covered with loose rock and ledges toward the top... it's a grind, to say the least. We rode it last year in the fall when it was much cooler. It was 38C (101F) this time and the heat was kicking our butts. About 1/2 way to the summit, a yearling grizzly cub popped out on the trail in front of me. The mother wouldn't have been far away so we turned around and headed back down. I had stopped in Elkford to buy bear spray an hour before this. Bear spray can be effective but I'd rather not rely on it if possible. We'll try it again in the fall when the temps drop a bit.

• Like 3

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

12 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

It was 38C (101F)

100 degrees, are you daft?

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Supporting Vendor
6 hours ago, Hibobb said:

100 degrees, are you daft?

6.5 months of the year are unridable here due to ice and snow. Of the remaining 5.5 months, there are often 4-6weeks of OHV bans because of extreme forest fire danger … so yeah, we ride when we can. We rode in Arizona at 119f a few years ago.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

We rode in Arizona at 119f a few years ago.

I think that you may have damaged your brain...

Once it's over 104 degrees Fahrenheit, "the brain overheats and the central nervous system starts to go haywire," said Periard. "You might become confused, agitated, and dizzy. These are all telltale signs of heat stroke, and signals that you should seek medical attention immediately."

Just teasing on this, I have huge respect for the rides you do.

Side note: Wife was looking over my shoulder at your camel. She informed me that a double humper is a bactrian camel... She is a wealth of useless information some days.

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Vendor

Two different views of the same trail. Drone vs helmet cam. What do you like better?

• Like 5

I like the drone footage for sure, but I like the occasional commentary of the helmet cam

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I like both: the Drone if you're trying to "sell "the Zen of T7, and the helmet cam for showing just what it takes to do it!

Love watching your stuff @Camel ADV

• Like 1

• Moderators

Cory,

Your efforts are setting the bar way up there. Both vantage points, in my opinion, with the drone doing a stellar job of navigating around obstacles and keeping you in frame. I just finished riding a few rocky sections on the T7 over the weekend and happy I made it through.  Then I see you and your compadres` accomplishments and by comparison,  my " rocky" sections look like a smooth gravel road.  Bravo and keep em' coming!

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Supporting Vendor
13 hours ago, Landshark said:

Both.  Good entertainment either way.  But both is better. 

Yeah, both is good but is a pile of video to sift through and edit. I have 8tb (!) of video from the last 18 months, most of it unused so far.

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
13 hours ago, AZJW said:

Cory,

Your efforts are setting the bar way up there. Both vantage points, in my opinion, with the drone doing a stellar job of navigating around obstacles and keeping you in frame. I just finished riding a few rocky sections on the T7 over the weekend and happy I made it through.  Then I see you and your compadres` accomplishments and by comparison,  my " rocky" sections look like a smooth gravel road.  Bravo and keep em' coming!

It's so frustrating how video flattens everything out. I'm sure your "smooth gravel road" sections were anything but.

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
13 hours ago, thepointchris said:

I like both: the Drone if you're trying to "sell "the Zen of T7, and the helmet cam for showing just what it takes to do it!

Love watching your stuff @Camel ADV

I really need to take a film class or two, even if just online. We have some incredible terrain here and could make some very cool videos if I actually knew what I was doing!

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
14 hours ago, Hibobb said:

I like the drone footage for sure, but I like the occasional commentary of the helmet cam

The logistics of the whole thing dictate heavy on the helmet cam with drone shots sprinkled in. The drone is picky about where it flies and the battery life is about 18min. The batteries are fist-sized and heavy. Slow to set-up and launch... but you can get some amazing shots when it works.

Both for sure.

It is such a joy watching you folks picking your lines through that terrain. We have lots of those sorts of "roads" here in AZ. I'm happy attempting them on my smaller WR250R and it's a rush at my skill level to actually run one as half as cleanly as you do.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Vendor

We finally got back to a hill that's been on my want to conquer list for a couple years. Some of you might remember it from the drone video a couple months ago. There were two other riders with me... it was entertaining if nothing else!

• Like 4

Congrats on slaying that beast. I wish I had a couple buddies to venture out and tackle some tough climbs with. Have to find a balance between pushing my limits and not being too much of a pussy, and having some buddies on standby definitely helps with confidence (and digging yourself out of sticky situations).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

We finally got back to a hill that's been on my want to conquer list for a couple years. Some of you might remember it from the drone video a couple months ago. There were two other riders with me... it was entertaining if nothing else!

Best vid yet. Looks soooo steep on camera, and we all know how the camera flattens things out. Top job all. Would love a go at that.

• Like 1

• Moderators

That hill required 3 things:

1. Huevos

2. Skill 

3. Traction

Jaden had # 1 & 2. 

Great job by all, nice to get those boxes checked, eh?

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

We finally got back to a hill that's been on my want to conquer list for a couple years.

I just now watched your video. You guys are awesome!!! Pol Terres is incredible, but this is Real Riding By Real People.

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators
On 8/25/2021 at 10:56 AM, Camel ADV said:

Damn, that's a wild one. Great job finally slaying that Corey! 

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• Supporting Vendor
On 8/27/2021 at 3:19 AM, Ol'crazy said:

Who tries to do this hill with slicks? 😱😅

Jaden is a special boy....

LOL

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Vendor

"6 Kilometers of Crazy" is a loose rocky trail up to a fire lookout at 6500ft. It's a tough trail dry, add 4" of fresh snow and it's next level!

image000000.jpg

IMG_1322.JPG

• Like 7

Crazy to think where I was riding 95F today in SoCal

20210921_143236.jpg

Edited by thepointchris
typo
  • Like 1