Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Slamming and banging offroad

Camel ADV

Of all the gadgets they put on modern bikes, the electric start may be the most important.

Traction modes, ABS, bluetooth with your phone, bla bla bla....

Thru the entire video, I kept thinking "it would be a bitch to have to kick-start in that position..."

Kick starting a flooded bike on the side of a hill sucks the last bit of energy out of a guy.

@Camel ADV Cory, your videos are awesome. I share them with all my riding buddies.

Sad, but my days at this level of fun, are long gone.

Now I live vicariously through your adventures....

A great Canadian poet once wrote:
Long may you run
Although these changes have come
With your chrome heart shining in the sun
Long may you run

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Supporting Vendor
5 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Of all the gadgets they put on modern bikes, the electric start may be the most important.

Traction modes, ABS, bluetooth with your phone, bla bla bla....

Thru the entire video, I kept thinking "it would be a bitch to have to kick-start in that position..."

Kick starting a flooded bike on the side of a hill sucks the last bit of energy out of a guy.

@Camel ADV Cory, your videos are awesome. I share them with all my riding buddies.

Sad, but my days at this level of fun, are long gone.

Now I live vicariously through your adventures....

A great Canadian poet once wrote:
Long may you run
Although these changes have come
With your chrome heart shining in the sun
Long may you run

We all have a limited window to do hard physical stuff... that window is closing for me too so I'll do it while I'm able!

• Like 4

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

On 1/26/2023 at 3:36 AM, Camel ADV said:

Yup, just a flat tire and some scraped up plastic. It was a fun day.

Well done, boy on the 790 has some skills 👍. You boys certainly put the T7 through its paces.

Shame about the puncture, have you considered fitting mousses if you’re not riding the bikes down? 

• Supporting Vendor
41 minutes ago, Alan M said:

Well done, boy on the 790 has some skills 👍. You boys certainly put the T7 through its paces.

Shame about the puncture, have you considered fitting mousses if you’re not riding the bikes down? 

I know a few guys using mousses on ADV bikes …. mixed results. They are generally too soft to protect the rim. The stiffest mousses are equal to about 15psi. That softness means a lot of rim hits. Also, you’d have to switch to a 1.6” wide front and 2.15 or 2.5” rear rim as they’re aren’t mousses for 4” wide rims.

I did just swap to a 1.6” front and I’m going to try a Tubliss insert. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

I know a few guys using mousses on ADV bikes …. mixed results. They are generally too soft to protect the rim. The stiffest mousses are equal to about 15psi. That softness means a lot of rim hits. Also, you’d have to switch to a 1.6” wide front and 2.15 or 2.5” rear rim as they’re aren’t mousses for 4” wide rims.

As well as Tubliss there’s also the Lucioli H/D inner tube option. Can be run at higher pressures but again not sure about rim fitment on the T7’s.

Keep up the good work & vids 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 12:09 PM, Camel ADV said:

I just put the tubliss system in my stock front wheel. Is it too wide stock? Will I die? I plan to do a lot of touring at 100kmh. 

• Supporting Vendor
10 minutes ago, Xtina said:

I just put the tubliss system in my stock front wheel. Is it too wide stock? Will I die? I plan to do a lot of touring at 100kmh. 

I haven’t run it in a 1.85” so I can’t comment. Actually, I haven’t ridden on 1.6” yet either.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

I've ridden my T7 off road a bit and have ridden Moab in the wet (when slick rock lives up to it's name) , but haven't had the desire ( or skill set) to put the two together, especially on a trail as gnarly as Pritchett Cyn. 

Having that perspective,  what you guys accomplished is nothing short of studly.  I'll bet you guys spend a heap at the chiropractor!   Hats off to ya'll,  your determination and skills never cease to impress!

• Like 5

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, AZJW said:

I've ridden my T7 off road a bit and have ridden Moab in the wet (when slick rock lives up to it's name) , but haven't had the desire ( or skill set) to put the two together, especially on a trail as gnarly as Pritchett Cyn. 

Having that perspective,  what you guys accomplished is nothing short of studly.  I'll bet you guys spend a heap at the chiropractor!   Hats off to ya'll,  your determination and skills never cease to impress!

It was an amazing day (the whole week was actually).
Funny you mention the chiropractor; 4 of 5 in the video have terrible back issues; two of us have previously broken our backs (not riding-related). Despite that, we're still out there doing what we love!

• Like 5

Just watched the vid, one of the best I've seen yet. I'm deeply impressed. What a ride!!!

Great watching you guys helping each others out, amazing group spirit.

Not sure if I got the end correctly, did you continue to ride those 4 miles?

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Vendor

A couple friends and I went looking for some challenging riding and found it in the Black Hills OHV area. Not everyone's flavor but "Fruity Pebbles" was a riot!

95F, 0.7miles... 2 hours 😅

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4463.jpeg

• Like 8

I am at a loss for words....

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Supporting Vendor
57 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

I am at a loss for words....

Well, then my job here is done 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Camel ADV said:

A couple friends and I went looking for some challenging riding and found it in the Black Hills OHV area. Not everyone's flavor but "Fruity Pebbles" was a riot!

95F, 0.7miles... 2 hours 😅

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4463.jpeg

Seriously Cory, ever thought of racing Erzbergrodeo?

• Supporting Vendor
14 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Seriously Cory, ever thought of racing Erzbergrodeo?

Even *if* I made the top 500 and qualified to ride the main event, I'd be lucky to make the first hill!

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
16 hours ago, DanDoesStunts said:

But you get the sticker.

🤣

• 4 months later...
  • Supporting Vendor

A bit of drama on our last local ride of the season. Icy and ADV are a bad combo!

• Like 2

Wow... what some guys do for fun!!!! Good news is you are looking thinner!

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Cory,

I recognize that pinch point in the trail from previous videos, doesn't look like it has gotten any easier!  I think I speak on behalf of the T7 collective here when I thank you for reinforcing the decision to purchase your @Camel ADV Gut Guard and HDB handguards. Your constant product testing is appreciated and congrats to you guys for clearing that step as it still looks " challenging" compounded by attempting it on a 450 lb horse!

• Like 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, AZJW said:

Cory,

I recognize that pinch point in the trail from previous videos, doesn't look like it has gotten any easier!  I think I speak on behalf of the T7 collective here when I thank you for reinforcing the decision to purchase your @Camel ADV Gut Guard and HDB handguards. Your constant product testing is appreciated and congrats to you guys for clearing that step as it still looks " challenging" compounded by attempting it on a 450 lb horse!

It was good to finally get up that trail... it's been on the hit list for several years.

It's interesting how your assessments change as your skills (and bikes) get better. The mental progression over a few years:

2015 - "That's nuts, totally unrideable" 
2016 - "I can see how a good rider on a dirt bike could get up it" 
2017 - "Maybe a great rider on a ADV bike" 
2018 - "I know some ADV guys that might get up there" 
2019 - "I'm going to try it" (miserable fail)

2020 -Got dumped on my head

2021 - Dumped on my my head, again

2022 - Got up but very messy

2023 - "Holy S&^t, I can't believe I'm up here"

Now we're on to the next challenge on the list 😉

• Like 5

2024 - "How hard can it be!?"

• Like 1