Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Does ur butt hurt on the stock seat?

NeilW

I found the stock 2 piece seat awful. I'm tall 6'4"(1.95m) with really long femurs and the rigid plastic seam between the front and rear seats was under my ass. Yuck.

Seat Concepts comfort tall to the rescue. I can ride a full tank without any issues from my butt. I honestly wish it was taller - it doesn't add much to the stand over height.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bruincounselor said:

I found the stock 2 piece seat awful. I'm tall 6'4"(1.95m) with really long femurs and the rigid plastic seam between the front and rear seats was under my ass. Yuck.

Seat Concepts comfort tall to the rescue. I can ride a full tank without any issues from my butt. I honestly wish it was taller - it doesn't add much to the stand over height.

I've got the Tall Rally (had the same problem you did, also 6'4") and man, it's nice that way.  1 5/8" higher than stock, and while it's definitely a firm foam, it's at least foam.  Way more comfortable than stock.  Also, it's a more consistent (but narrow) width, making moving around while standing easier.  That and 30mm lowered pegs?  Absolutely outstanding comfort.  The foot to butt distance is 2 3/4" further apart. 

If you're every vaguely in the neighborhood (Alberta, Canada) I'd totally be in to meet up and do a seat swap test ride if you'd like to compare.  

• Like 1

I don't understand the problems, i have none with the standard 2 piece.
I do have a rally seat on the way but it's DHL and in Dutch we say it's short for "Duurt Heel Lang" (Takes a lot of time). I didn't buy it because the standard seat is terrible, more because of the shape being more dirtbike like.

• Like 1

I think it all depends on the individual- it’s like a cycle saddle - many I look at look so painful but guys ride 100’s of miles on them 

it’s probably about conditioning 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lewie said:

I think it all depends on the individual- it’s like a cycle saddle - many I look at look so painful but guys ride 100’s of miles on them 

it’s probably about conditioning 

It is. And after a little while the hardest saddles on a bicycle typically are the ones to work especially for long rides.

As Ray explained, (too) soft material may feel comfortable at first, but will eventually cut off blood flow and/or pinch nerves.

Talking about numb noodle if you know what I mean. I know what I'm talking about, having done stupid things like 300 km rides in 20 hours on a bicycle.

Saddle width and shape plays the most important role in bicycle saddle comfort. If those fit, a little bit of padding is useful (talking about mm rather than cm!).

Here's why on motorcycle seats - unless they are REALLY wide - a firm cushion is preferable: Your weight will be mainly supported by the seat bones, not the soft tissue.

Once the padding is too soft, the seat bones will sink in too deep, so that your tissue gets compressed by the seat more. Even though it might not be a problem for short rides (test rides!), it can be a BIG problem later on longer rides.

Changing the seating position (fore/aft) on the one-piece seats prevents this as well (can't be done on bicycles) - as does standing up occasionally.

Remember, the seat should not act as a suspension 😁

• Like 1

Mine gets a little tender toward the end of a tank, but being tall the sitting position was the worst part.

I’ve just acquired an OEM rally seat and can already foresee great comfort from the taller seat.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DanDoesStunts said:

Mine gets a little tender toward the end of a tank, but being tall the sitting position was the worst part.

I’ve just acquired an OEM rally seat and can already foresee great comfort from the taller seat.

Same for me, the cramped position was very annoying - always sliding towards the tank, which meant my knees got bent even more. It was not just a comfort issue, the handling has improved as well with the taller seat.

On 2/6/2023 at 12:23 AM, Lewie said:

Not readily available in the UK

I got it off Amazon, so you might just get lucky with that!

• Like 1

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

• 2 weeks later...

I have a low comfort seat from seat concepts coming, can't wait till it gets here (in 3 or 4 weeks), after about 1/2 hour riding my butt starts to get sore, standing up for a few seconds helps some but can't do that all the time. 

@AirborneSilva if you read back a ways, on various posts, the consensus is the Seat Concepts seat helps a lot, as will Moto-Skiveez riding shorts. Be aware, the T7 will never be a super plush touring bike... and was never meant to be.

Moto-Skiveez-Sport-Skiveez.jpg

Get your comfort on with Moto-Skiveez Sport Skiveez undergarment for sport bikers! A pair of motorcycle underwear to grip, corner and go. Order yours today

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Thanks Hibobb, you're right it will never be a plush ride and never expected it to be.  I do have three old Yamaha Enduro's that are not exactly plush seats but are a far cry better than the stock T7 seat.  I had thought about getting some kind of biking shorts so thank you for the suggestion of the Moto-Skiveez, I'll certainly give them a shot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

the T7 will never be a super plush touring bike.

Not? What the hell am i riding then 😳

Mine is touring pretty well, on my last trip there where more days i didn't want to stop than i had to stop because of my bottom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Not? What the hell am i riding then 😳

Mine is touring pretty well, on my last trip there where more days i didn't want to stop than i had to stop because of my bottom.

Iron Butt!😂

I also don't have issues - my knees are the most problematic area usually, which is generally a bigger problem on lower bikes.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1

i have ordered a "mesh seat cover" and have fitted it today.

bike is taken apart at moment so hope test it soon. got good reviews on other bikes

• Like 1

I find the stock seat comfortable but I rarely change stock seats anyway. I think it's conditioning because I generally ride everyday of the year and have multiple 2000KM days (not consecutively)

I took a 6 week break over winter this year and i was a little sore my first day back on the bike.

• Like 3

I'm still waiting for my rally seat to get back to the dealer for the second time so they can try it a third time, this time with another parcel company... DHL sucks big time.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

this is one of those topics where I think everyone should post two thing: if they came from riding street or dirt.  I came from riding dirt and the t7 feels like a couch.

• Like 1

I came from riding dirt and the T7 feels like a bed of nails; no better than WR450

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I have a YZ250FX,  I stand up 80% of the time so the stock seat on it works fine.  I have the ultimate long distance seat on the FJR, the sport verstion of the Russell Day Long seat.  The stock seat on the T7 was replaced by a one piece seat concepts seat (stock height).   I did some miserable long days on the stock seat, never again.  

• Like 2

I came from street riding, sure, but I've owned bikes with such lovely seats as the MT07.  8 hour days on the MT07's plank where dramatically better than an hour on the T7. 

Seat Concepts Tall Rally is VASTLY better.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

No, typically don't ride for more than 45 minutes at a time anyway...

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

On 3/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, Revy said:

this is one of those topics where I think everyone should post two thing: if they came from riding street or dirt.  I came from riding dirt and the t7 feels like a couch.

Rode dirt for 10 years on Honda xr250- never sat. Changed to super plush Yamaha venture for two iron butt 1000’s and 9 years. Then got the T7 and I was in pain in the first 10 minutes. Found best comfort in seat concepts sport touring and MotoSkiveez but I hardly sit on the t7 unless I am over 65mph. StegPegz are great support  for standing along with a windscreen extension. Butt can’t hurt if I am not using it 🙂

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1

I, like many have spent money on all kinds of seats and covers. When I first rode the T7 I was uncomfortable within 50 miles. I currently use LD Comfort briefs and an Airhawk seat cushion. I’m good for a full tank of fuel now. Pants or briefs that are padded I find exasperates the pressure problem.

Revy is right... background matters.

Circa '94 to '02  ish - rode trials bikes (no seat!!) and sport bikes.  Again, I like a ride that is broken into 45 minute sessions.  Then and now.

Why?  I notice that I develop mental fatigue, my mind goes stale,  either I can't stay focused or don't want to.   Love being on two wheels, more than anyone will ever know...  just have to stay sharp... and ride on my own terms.  Would never make it on an iron butt marathon ride,  would be like torture to me mind and my ass.

The rider triangle on the t7 feels so magically neutral that I presume a longer ride is a possibility.  Yet, also makes me think of my Ducati Monster / friend's Honda VFR / Buell Lightning I test rode.  The rider triangle is an interesting contrast because it puts most of your weight on the seat, a little on the wrists, and some on the footpegs.  Eases the load on the butt.

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid