Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha T7 Tenere 700 High Fender Kit

Camel ADV

• Supporting Vendor
On 7/15/2020 at 8:13 PM, Tooph said:

Any info on fitment with Adventure Spec crash bars?

I'm totally slipping here... just noticed your unanswered post. The Adventure Spec bars are a bit lower than most but I *believe* they would still be compatible. They may require some small spacers between the fender mount and fender itself to clear the tube though.

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished installing the high fender kit and ran into an issue with the Camel brake manifold/fender adapter not fitting completely to the underside of the bottom triple clamp.  My steering stem protrudes maybe 0.5 mm past the bottom of the triple clamp.  I had to add 4 thin stainless washers to get the brake manifold/adapter to fit solidly.   Cory is aware of it now.  I may be the first to have this issue.  Everything else went fine.  Maybe it has to do with the bikes' different countries of manufacture or it's just a fluke.   Mine is Japan built, 6/2020.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, SociallyStunted said:

I just finished installing the high fender kit and ran into an issue with the Camel brake manifold/fender adapter not fitting completely to the underside of the bottom triple clamp.  My steering stem protrudes maybe 0.5 mm past the bottom of the triple clamp.  I had to add 4 thin stainless washers to get the brake manifold/adapter to fit solidly.   Cory is aware of it now.  I may be the first to have this issue.  Everything else went fine.  Maybe it has to do with the bikes' different countries of manufacture or it's just a fluke.   Mine is Japan built, 6/2020.

Had no problems fitting mine. 

20 hours ago, SociallyStunted said:

Make sure you pull the rubber plug out before mounting.

As said above, make sure the rubber plug is out otherwise you'd need spacers for sure. Had no problems installing the Camel kit on my Japanese bike manufactured June 2020. spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 3

• Supporting Vendor
On 9/1/2020 at 11:46 PM, SociallyStunted said:

The protruding stem is strange. We'll have to add a slight recess into the bracket moving forward.

16 hours ago, Fiddyone said:

Make sure you pull the rubber plug out before mounting.

16 hours ago, johnnygolucky said:

As said above, make sure the rubber plug is out otherwise you'd need spacers for sure. Had no problems installing the Camel kit on my Japanese bike manufactured June 2020. 

A pic of the what I am referring to.  Who in the world would try and mount the Camel adapter over the rubber plug anyway?

I just hope this isn't because the stem isn't pressed all the way in to the lower triple clamp.

20200902_200240.jpg

Edited by SociallyStunted

Just checked mine to make sure and that stem is fish. I wonder if the two above weren't pressed in fully? 

6 hours ago, SociallyStunted said:

A pic of the what I am referring to.  Who in the world would try and mount the Camel adapter over the rubber plug anyway?

I just hope this isn't because the stem isn't pressed all the way in to the lower triple clamp.

If anyones curious, @Camel ADV I just installed the Adventure Spec crash bars and there's plenty of room with the high fender mount. Almost 2 inches with the UFO super moto. Even enough clearance with a fender brace that I use to help stabilize the fender. 

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnnygolucky said:

Just checked mine to make sure and that stem is fish. I wonder if the two above weren't pressed in fully? 

If anyones curious, @Camel ADV I just installed the Adventure Spec crash bars and there's plenty of room with the high fender mount. Almost 2 inches with the UFO super moto. Even enough clearance with a fender brace that I use to help stabilize the fender. 

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

Nice, ... but why the fender brace ? ... and where did you get that ? ... looks good.

16 minutes ago, MGG said:

Nice, ... but why the fender brace ? ... and where did you get that ? ... looks good.

I have small Wolfman Enduro front fender bag that I've had for years that I keep some odds and ends in. Light tools and such. I've always kept it on the fender to keep room in other spots for larger things. The fender brace just keeps the plastic fender from flying around or breaking with the little extra weight, especially off-road. 

The original fender brace was made by Acerbis. But they stopped producing it about 5-6 years ago. So I scoured the net for used ones and ended finding them on European Ebay, the exact identical brace. Clearly, someone bought the template or made a template based on it and did replicas. They come in different anodized colors as well now, which Acerbis never did. I've had a half dozen of these Acerbis braces over the years and they work great, even without the extra weight, it just stiffens up that fender when riding off-road. If you can find one, I'd get it. 

M0403_Enduro_Fender_Bag_cc_1024x1024.jpg

Made in USA by Wolfman Luggage - Enduro Fender Bag - Keep spare tubes snug and out of the way so they'll be ready when needed.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Im halfway through the installation, waiting for my open fork kit from Rally Raid before finishing it up. The high fender looks a lot better on a white/red bike with a white fender, than on an all black one (in my opinion), but didnt do this only for looks.

I must say, the engineering that went into this kit is just mind blowing. The way the fender mount also works as a split for the brake lines. And when I needed some guidance, Cory answered my e-mail within 10 minutes.

Pics highly related 🙂

975A5106-6416-4CDA-9389-57550F9ECDD9.jpeg

7BA1D6AB-7323-499A-B674-96539C58D567.jpeg

• Haha 1

^ Can confirm that the newer YZ fender also fits with the Camel bracket. I was initially concerned about fender width- that it would hit the lower fork guards at full compression. They do not:

Fender had to be drilled far back as all others to not hit the radiator.

21074187-0B73-4908-B83E-4E213771A539.jpeg

E9C4733F-5534-468E-8724-C3BC1BF81805.jpeg

Edited by JayD
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Camel ADV I' am assuming the large metal washer in the kit is  to address the steering stem problem linked above? Its a large thin play looks like it matches the contours of the fender mount in the back where it mounts to the triple tree.

The included paper made no mention of it and neither did the video at least not up to the part where you were showing different fenders

Mike

49 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

@Camel ADV I' am assuming the large metal washer in the kit is  to address the steering stem problem linked above? Its a large thin play looks like it matches the contours of the fender mount in the back where it mounts to the triple tree.

The included paper made no mention of it and neither did the video at least not up to the part where you were showing different fenders

Mike

Correct, I already asked him!

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
51 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

Mike

@JayDis correct, it's for the stem protrusion.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JayD said:

@MikeCMP Your bike will get a lot dirtier, but my god does it look sexy with a high fender:

46F4128C-15BA-4E4A-8715-2E405EAAF232.jpeg

Yes, I figure for the really muddy rides i will put the high fender on, can always put the roads fender on for normal riding. Nut yah i like the look for sure!

I'm learning, I have a 3 day ride coming up, and I am not installing the high fender kit before that, as sometimes I run into problems. I'll leave the bike as is and do it after my ride 🙂

Mike

@Camel ADV as I am installing the high fender kit I found i have a question about how the brake lines stay out of the tire. So there are a couple p-clamps on the fork guards that hold the brake lines. However, in my kit at least, the lines can slid in those clamps. I was concerned the as the forks compress, the brake line gets pushed down from the top, and bows out into the spokes under the p-clamp.

Are the clamps I am using supposed to grab and hold the lines from moving altogether? 

For the moment I put some zip ties above the clamps, this prevents the brake lines from shifting downwards. 

The other minor issue I found was I had the two brake hoses going to the calipers pretty tight, I thought. However, I noticed when i would highly pressurize the brake system by pumping the lever that i was getting leaks from those banjo bolts. I cranked them down tighter and will see if that holds.

Oh, related comment - I saw there were two lengths of those combo torx hex head bolts, I did not realize the longer ones were used at the end, so i used them to hold the first set of clamps, and realized that was wrong later. Whoops! Also, another dumb moment on my part was bleeding the brakes. I was used to thinking of the brakes and linked at the bottom with the cross over, so i attached my vacuum bleeder down there on the caliper and kept going and going. I just realized this morning that i need to bleed them individually 🙂

Thanks!

Mike

• Supporting Vendor
7 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

@Camel ADV as I am installing the high fender kit I found i have a question about how the brake lines stay out of the tire. So there are a couple p-clamps on the fork guards that hold the brake lines. However, in my kit at least, the lines can slid in those clamps. I was concerned the as the forks compress, the brake line gets pushed down from the top, and bows out into the spokes under the p-clamp.

Are the clamps I am using supposed to grab and hold the lines from moving altogether? 

For the moment I put some zip ties above the clamps, this prevents the brake lines from shifting downwards. 

The other minor issue I found was I had the two brake hoses going to the calipers pretty tight, I thought. However, I noticed when i would highly pressurize the brake system by pumping the lever that i was getting leaks from those banjo bolts. I cranked them down tighter and will see if that holds.

Oh, related comment - I saw there were two lengths of those combo torx hex head bolts, I did not realize the longer ones were used at the end, so i used them to hold the first set of clamps, and realized that was wrong later. Whoops! Also, another dumb moment on my part was bleeding the brakes. I was used to thinking of the brakes and linked at the bottom with the cross over, so i attached my vacuum bleeder down there on the caliper and kept going and going. I just realized this morning that i need to bleed them individually 🙂

Thanks!

Mike

Hey Mike,

Do you have the P-clamps straight up and down or angled on the fork guards? If angled, there hasn't been an issue with them sliding down. A small ziptie above certainly wouldn't hurt anything though.

The banjo bolts need to be tightened enough to compress the brass ring seals. Brake systems operate at hundreds of PSI of pressure so it can can take a bit of torque to make it happen.

3 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

Hey Mike,

Do you have the P-clamps straight up and down or angled on the fork guards? If angled, there hasn't been an issue with them sliding down. A small ziptie above certainly wouldn't hurt anything though.

The banjo bolts need to be tightened enough to compress the brass ring seals. Brake systems operate at hundreds of PSI of pressure so it can can take a bit of torque to make it happen.

I had them angled - I have not "had" a problem yet, I am a quality assurance guy though so I am always looking for the failure points ahead of time. I think the zip ties will give me the peace of mind.

I was surprised on the torque as I did not use very much on the banjo on the ABS pump ad t is fine, but the individual lines had the leaks. Just thought that was interesting. 

Do you know offhand the spacing and sizing of the holes on the front of your brake distributor / high fender bracket? I was thinking of mounting a light there, like Cyclops did, and don't have the bracket handy now since it is on the bike.

Thanks again!

Mike

All done and looks pretty good. I'm sure this will make me a better dirt rider 🙂

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_156c.thumb.jpg.afc7da2c45ed0e8683f32f461ada637f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Vendor
21 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

I had them angled - I have not "had" a problem yet, I am a quality assurance guy though so I am always looking for the failure points ahead of time. I think the zip ties will give me the peace of mind.

I was surprised on the torque as I did not use very much on the banjo on the ABS pump ad t is fine, but the individual lines had the leaks. Just thought that was interesting. 

Do you know offhand the spacing and sizing of the holes on the front of your brake distributor / high fender bracket? I was thinking of mounting a light there, like Cyclops did, and don't have the bracket handy now since it is on the bike.

Thanks again!

Mike

The holes/threads are M8x 1.25mm. I *believe* the center to center measurement is 70mm. I'll have to bust out the vernier calipers and confirm.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

@MikeCMPService manual says 30 Nm for the banjo bolts at both the ABS unit and the calipers.

• Like 1